Companion affection changes?

Ryudenko

Pre-expansion, I'm running all 3 lvls of the Legacy perk to increase companion affection from conversations. So, Corso Riggs on my baby Smuggler is getting +20 for standard favorable choices rather than the +15 base line.

Then comes the expansion. Now, it shows me only +16 for a favorable choice, and then when the mission payoff comes around, I'm actually getting only +15 for favorable choices.

What the heck happened here? (Bioware's CS response to this is "we don't talk about such things.")

• Dev Post

Hi there! We actually did make some adjustments to the way that companions give you affection for your regular conversation choices. It used to work based on the level that your character obtained the companion. Now, it has been modified such that the mission's level is the indicator for affection points (along with your companion's personality, of course!).

The patch note for the change is:

• Companion Affection gained from mission conversations has been redesigned. Companions will still give more or less affection based on their personality preference, but the affection amounts are now scaled based on the level of the mission, and the dialogue options are scaled the same for all Companion Characters.

Overall, you should find that your companions are more balanced in the amount of affection you gain as you journey through the galaxy! :rak_wink:

Thanks. I'd caught that bit about the scaling in the patch notes. Unfortunately, it doesn't really explain why I have a mission that shows me 2 favorable responses from Corso at +16 each, which ought to total a +32 gain, but when I turn in the mission, what I actually got was +30.

Thanks. I'd caught that bit about the scaling in the patch notes. Unfortunately, it doesn't really explain why I have a mission that shows me 2 favorable responses from Corso at +16 each, which ought to total a +32 gain, but when I turn in the mission, what I actually got was +30.

Well, before the patch I always noticed a similar disparity for the initial companions. If you had the +30% with the legacy perks, during the mission, it would say you gained 20 points for a favorable choice. Mission completion would say you gained only 19, though. I figured the reason was simply due to rounding. An additional 30% on the normal 15 for an initial companion would actually be 19.5 affection points. Why they rounded up in one place and down in the other is beyond me, though. (Unless the system actually tracks fractions of a point and just doesn't display it.)

I'm not positive, but this could be a similar situation to what you are seeing. I can't test for sure, though, because I don't know what the new numbers are supposed to be before applying the 30% bonus.

Only thing I'm seeing with this change is I'm going to spend twice as much time gaining affection with my last companion (and similar on my other companions). Before, on level 49 quests, I was gaining 133 affection each conversation item. Now? 56 or so. Add to that that there aren't that many conversations for him to gain darn affection, I'm working longer and harder to max out this item on all companions now. It doesn't look like I'll ever see a gain of 133 again and instead have a gain that is less than one-half what it used to be (and it was high for good reason, you get him very late in the game and it didn't force you to grind a ton just to raise his affection).

My only question is: Why change something like this at all if you've done nothing to expand on affection in the expansion beyond 10,000 when all you're doing is making us work longer and harder to do something others in the past did more easily?

Do companions left on the ship gain affection from conversations as if they were taken on " away missions " too ? So as to avoid playing catch up later by buying their affection with gifts .
No. Edited by Lokideetwenty

there seems to be a bug with affection icon i'd count up how much affection i gathered with a companion and at the end of the mission the total affection is lower than what i counted with icon pop up gains.

example: say i did 2 wheel voices that my companion liked and i got 12 affection per choice so that's 24 affection but at the mission reward window it says i got 15 total affection with companion.

The patch notes indicated that the affection gain would now be scaled based on the level of the mission. Period.

This is bugged. It is scaled based on the level of the mission IN RELATION TO YOUR LEVEL.

So now if you spend time PvPing and doing space missions at all, you are completely hosed as far as companion affection goes. This is even more true if you took advantage of all the double XP weekends. It is an understatement to say this is totally unacceptable.

looks like they want to force us to use gifts >_>

Oh well, even less reason to do old quests.

Which are also giving even less affection now than before. Rank 5 purple gift, of my companions favorite type, only giving 144 affection.

Edited by facesofderek

Hi there! We actually did make some adjustments to the way that companions give you affection for your regular conversation choices. It used to work based on the level that your character obtained the companion. Now, it has been modified such that the mission's level is the indicator for affection points (along with your companion's personality, of course!).

The patch note for the change is:

• Companion Affection gained from mission conversations has been redesigned. Companions will still give more or less affection based on their personality preference, but the affection amounts are now scaled based on the level of the mission, and the dialogue options are scaled the same for all Companion Characters.

Overall, you should find that your companions are more balanced in the amount of affection you gain as you journey through the galaxy! :rak_wink:

Stupidity is just common in EAware I guess...not saying Amber specifically...but this crap is really pushing people..... :mad:

Which are also giving even less affection now than before. Rank 5 purple gift, of my companions favorite type, only giving 144 affection.

What? Oh come on.

In that case, they better give each and every companion a 'favorite' gift at the very least, otherwise have fun gaining affection with Ashara as a female Inquisitor. It was quite a hassle to earn affection pre-patch, why make it even harder? Please don't tell me it's because of those silly achievements.

Please don't tell me it's because of those silly achievements.

It will be because it's a gold sink to make you fish for gifts, like the increased travel costs when you zip back to Fleet to spend your planetary comms (when you inevitably hit the cap) :)

It will be because it's a gold sink to make you fish for gifts, like the increased travel costs when you zip back to Fleet to spend your planetary comms (when you inevitably hit the cap) :)

Yeah, makes sense. They introduced quite a few gold sinks with the last patch. (Set travel costs to "travel" to wherever the space missions take place, for example.) Lovely.