Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Are you F'n kidding me EAware? it took you like 7 months to come up with this **** solution thats not even a solution but a good reason for all APAC players to quit playing your game?

Whats the point in having a higher population if we cant even play the game properly because of high latency? HOW IN THE HELL IS THIS A SOLUTION!!! i think most would agree that we'd rather have you merge the APAC servers together than go along with what you have set to implicate...

With the changes you have announced i doubt i will be able to regularly do operations and go crazy in PVP without lag! and this will definately force me to quit the game, so frekin change your minds aye!!!

eh you'll be fine sunfire, oceanic players and non us layers have over come latency in past mmos, tbh though i think the ping from nz to east coast was around 120~160 ms last i checked which is acceptable in my books

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric

What a load of horse **** Eric. There was a population problem with people on MDN and Gav'Daragon. The pvp queues were always poor, they actually picked up quite a bit over the Double XP weekends.

Id rather wait for PVP queues than try to PVP on increased latency. I test on your PTR. I know how bad the gameplay experience is at 200+ms latency.

Some people might have higher latency, your a freaking ball of hutt slime musco. Act like your doing us a favour while holding the knife behind your back.

I want my money back. Good riddance.

Edited by Yndras

Some people might have higher latency, your a freaking ball of hutt slime musco. Act like your doing us a favour while holding the knife behind your back.

To be fair, he's just the messenger. He likely had no involvement in making the decision; ultimately some accountant/manager has decided we're not financially viable and now his job is to try and put enough spin on it that it sounds like a positive outcome while taking the brunt of the abuse.

My sympathies, Eric ... your job sucks

To all the people ************ about ping and latency, seriously get over it!

I assume most of you guys have played WoW or some other AAA MMO in which they have Oceanic/Asian servers (that are actually based in the US) you most likely enjoyed that experience enough to venture out into other MMOs (like SWTOR, or you are just a die hard Star Wars fan) and you would know that the ping is roughly 150-250 depending on where ur IP is based so basically this is what ur saying "OMG IM QUITTING BECAUSE I WILL HAVE 0.2 SECONDS LAG".:confused:

Now I know this isn't the most ideal solution but it;s better than playing on a ghost town server I have toons on all 3 and none of them are what I would call healthy the only one decent enough is Dalborra and that's okish but it's losing players weekly, I also have toons on The Harbinger and that population is booming and im looking forward too it I would've preferred free transfers to where ever we want and have all my toons on the one server but they are bringing it in later so I can wait.

Now my Rebuttal to everything you guys say is this..

This Thread Was Made to Address The Population Issues on The APAC Servers

it wasnt about ping or playstyle it was about low population and how it's affecting our experience now im not defending EAWARE at all especially after their stall tactics abnd leaving us in the dark but they have atleast brought us a solution to FIX THE POPULATION ISSUE (and like eric stated before it wasnt the solution everybody wanted but it's atleast a solution) so if you guys unsub and not play (which i doubt most of you will) then go right ahead but I can guarantee that the majority of you will come back because you guys have been up in arms about this is which tells me you enjoy the game.

Edir: TL;DR Population issue > Ping and Timezone Issue

So guys just be thankful they've got something in plan to improve our playing experience and he people that want to QQ you won't be missed :D

Exactly dude, I'd rather play on a server that has people and suffer a ping increase. To all the people saying "**** this I'm unsubbing, why are you still here posting on the forums? If "this is the last straw" there's no need to stay and whinge. Sure merging apac servers would have been good but it's not the end if the world. At least now I can play my mains on a server that has people. Good post jack xD

1. I think we have been 'rationalised'.

2. For the population, EA/BW probably just weren't seeing the profit margin. How many sub players are we in total in Oceanic? 5000? I dont know. It just wasn't worth it for them.

3. To my co-players on MDN, particularly the PVP'ers I express my condolescences. I didnt PVP at all, I only really raid and Ill have a go at it on Bastion and see how it pans out.

4. For me there is an upside. I was *VERY CONCERNED* about the size and quality of the community on MDN and with greater depth of community on Bastion I will in fact get one aspect of play that I sought - more social and raid options. That said, the time zone difference may be a significant to very significant negative factor and 250+ms may be a negative (though WoW seemed ok)

5. Would have preferred a single server for Oceanic but I think there are substantial obstacles in the Aus hosting space for EA SWTOR servers so I am not really surprised.

6. Personally I would have preferred a move to a PVE server aswell as PVP just never pumped my gnads over the time Ive played it in SWTOR.

All in all, this is simply a 'side-grade' movement for me. It looks like the cons will weight pretty much equally against the pros. Ill see how I feel 3 months after the merge. Time zone and lag will potentially be the new issues.

Edited by scaramunja

Exactly dude, I'd rather play on a server that has people and suffer a ping increase. To all the people saying "**** this I'm unsubbing, why are you still here posting on the forums? If "this is the last straw" there's no need to stay and whinge. Sure merging apac servers would have been good but it's not the end if the world. At least now I can play my mains on a server that has people. Good post jack xD

Agreed. I'm upset, and not very happy with the solution they've chosen, but of course I'm still going to play and subscribe. It's a 0.1 - 0.2s ping increase and I like the game.

Guys, its obvious now and undeniable. Their decision was not made to be the best for us and they know it. They simple dont wnat to pay for our super server. I dont see how they cant, but it s a business decision. This news really pissed me off as well, cuase i only wnat to pvp and i cant now. But when has bioware shown us any respect as customers? Why should I respect them knowing undeniably that they dont give a damn about us? I un suubbed ages ago but i still have 50days left of playing time, i shall use it well and always remmeber the epxerince of playing a game managed by bioware.

undeniably, they basically said '**** you apac players' and flipped us the bird, in a polite way but undeniable.

RIP APAC servers

I have a major concern about the implementation of these character transfers to US servers.

I have been a player and subscriber of this game since EGA back in 2011. Since then I have created -many- toons, all of which people in the Oceanic community of Dalborra recognise as being a representation of me as a player. My concern is that if we are forcibly moved to another server, the character names I chose nearly 18 months ago, the character names I have been known by and referred to, may be stripped away from me.

Some people may not see this as being a huge issue (yeah sure, it's a game, get over it - right?). But when you've played with people from your global region (firstly on Jekk'Jekk Tarr, and now on Dalborra - soon to be Harbinger), and they've played with you always under those same names and are even able to put a real life face to your character names along with the personality that goes with it, it's a little disconcerting knowing that I may lose that.

I have spoken to some people on Dalborra who, like me, have 12 or more toons that they created at painstaking length to ensure the toon looked the way they wanted and the name they chose fit. If we are forced to give those toons second-rate names that don't fit with what we first imagined, I know for a fact some people are going to unsub. Renaming my 16 toons -names that nigh on everyone from Dalborra knows me by- is NOT something I am willing to do just because BioWare decided my account has to be moved. If they want to forcibly move our server's population, the least they can do is let us keep our original character names, especially since the majority of us left on the Oceanic servers are players who have been following and supporting this game since pre-release.

Besides, if the server transfers are to help 'better our playing experience', I personally don't think that is possible if we have to go through a renaming process for every single character and then somehow figure out who all our old friends are, what they've changed their toons' names to etc. etc.

Also, keep in mind that the people who unsub for this reason are separate from those who will unsub purely due to the loss of our great community and great latency.

Edited by BennyKrak

I think the problem with both your posts is that you are trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't find acceptable, I don't really care at all that you/jack think it's fine and we should "get over it" and I'm sure you couldn't care less I find high ping game-breaking. So in my opinion it's best to stick to stating what you think and leave it at that. Whinging is just a matter of perspective, you could consider jacks entire post a whinge but because you agree with it, to you it is not.

As to the fact that... "This Thread Was Made to Address The Population Issues on The APAC Servers" I'm not sure shutting down the servers really counts as addressing APAC population issues. No servers, no issue, I suppose it works in a behead someone to cure cancer sort of way.

Thanks dude, these people are just need to get the sand out of their Vag and they'll be right.

"ERMMAAGERRRDD PING IS TOO HIGH, UNSUBBING DUE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO PVP COMPETITIVELY AND I WILL LOSE MY TOONS NAME AND I NO LONGER HAVE TO WAIT 1HR + FOR GP AND PVP MATCHES"

Seriously that is the message im getting from these people haha

I have a major concern about the implementation of these character transfers to US servers.

I have been a player and subscriber of this game since EGA back in 2011. Since then I have created -many- toons, all of which people in the Oceanic community of Dalborra recognise as being a representation of me as a player. My concern is that if we are forcibly moved to another server, the character names I chose nearly 18 months ago, the character names I have been known by and referred to, may be stripped away from me.

Some people may not see this as being a huge issue (yeah sure, it's a game, get over it - right?). But when you've played with people from your global region (firstly on Jekk'Jekk Tarr, and now on Dalborra - soon to be Harbinger), and they've played with you always under those same names and are even able to put a real life face to your character names along with the personality that goes with it, it's a little disconcerting knowing that I may lose that.

I have spoken to some people on Dalborra who, like me, have 12 or more toons that they created at painstaking length to ensure the toon looked the way they wanted and the name they chose fit. If we are forced to give those toons second-rate names that don't fit with what we first imagined, I know for a fact some people are going to unsub. Renaming my 16 toons -names that nigh on everyone from Dalborra knows me by- is NOT something I am willing to do just because BioWare decided my account has to be moved. If they want to forcibly move our server's population, the least they can do is let us keep our original character names, especially since the majority of us left on the Oceanic servers are players who have been following and supporting this game since pre-release.

Besides, if the server transfers are to help 'better our playing experience', I personally don't think that is possible if we have to go through a renaming process for every single character and then somehow figure out who all our old friends are, what they've changed their toons' names to etc. etc.

i know that feel i started in Death wind corridor back in EGA lost my awesome name of Kumar during the merge to dalborra but dude tbh though you can get over it after a while iwas kinda bummed about it, thats why now i use pokemon names to name my toons ,fi i loose one ill just use the evolved from as my new name, so snivy is either going to be renamed to Servine or Serperior \o/

Not sure if it'll work the same way again, but last time they did merges if there was a name conflict, the character which had a longer life/playtime got to keep the name. So one possible option for you is to rack up some extra hours on your characters with names more likely to be conflicted.

Agreed. I'm upset, and not very happy with the solution they've chosen, but of course I'm still going to play and subscribe. It's a 0.1 - 0.2s ping increase and I like the game.

Exactly it's not that great of a solution but right now with my toons on MDN are sitting idle waiting over an hour for PVP matches 0.1-0.2 is really not that bad at all :rak_03:

No way. Nothing gets in the way of gaming experience MORE than ping. The reason alot of us play this MMO is we actually have a smooth experience. For example the difference in angle for knock backs are affected massively by ping. On american servers it throws them the wrong way compared to what we see. I do NOT miss that

Even on the PvP server there is NO WORLD PVP so we would be more than happy to be merged into one big PVE server, with zones like illum for PVP.

Not only that, but we play in a different time zone than americans, so the server populations will feel no different to us. YOU ARE SOLVING NOTHING and alienating loyal customers from early access.

When this game goes back to american servers Im out. (paying subs since early access)

Edited by Kalliadies

My question is this. Harbinger already has stupid lag and ridiculous amounts of server instability due to the high population. What's being done to address this, especially with the now-imminent influx of new players?

thats the thing that makes me go what are they thinking they already have problems with harbinger. again bioware makes the wrong decision.

If you think you're saving money by not merging servers - think again! Prepare for mass un-subbing from some extremely loyal players. GL fixing this one.

They probably thought of this and decided they could afford 70% ish of apac players to quit :eek:

I have been playing the game sine Early Access, with the exception of a 3-4 month break in mid 2012. I have played almost exclusively on NA West Coast servers; originally Ajunta Pall and now Begeren Colony. My main play style is Warzone PVP and a little questing. My ping usually sits at the high 180s to low 240s on a bad day. I have no problem doing well in PVP in this climate. I don't often have long waits for queue pops, except for very late at night and even then usually less than 10 mins. On weekends it's very quick to pop.

I lost some character names during the original server merge process, which I admit was upsetting, but I have moved on and still love my characters. I tried playing on the APAC servers at launch and while I noticed that the ping made a difference in PVP, it was not such that I felt crippled going back to the NA server. Ultimately I left the APAC servers after a while due to the higher population on Begeren Colony making the game much more enjoyable.

I really hope that you guys stick with the game. I understand a lot of the frustration - I went through some similar issues when Ajunta Pall closed down and felt rather betrayed and angry. But it all worked out, I'm happy in the game and with my server.

I'm certainly not here to tell you that you're wrong to be upset, just to share my experience.

Cheers.

Hey everyone,

I have an update for you on our long term plans for the APAC servers. Before I do that though I want to let you know up front that we still have quite a bit of work to do to make this happen so I cannot provide any timeframes for you today.

We know that when we asked you, the community, for your opinions on what we should do, we received quite a variety of suggested solutions. Some people wanted to be able to transfer to higher populated North American servers, some suggested merging the three existing APAC servers into one large APAC server, and then there were a host of other ideas as well. However, the one common theme from the suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers. With this in mind, we have evaluated all of the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American servers.

Getting to the point of being able to merge the servers is going to be a multistep process. First off we need to update our Free Character Transfer System to include the game changes that we have made recently along with the upcoming changes in Game Update 2.0 and the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. We will then offer Free Character Transfers to anyone currently playing on an APAC server to a North American server of the same gameplay type, specifically:

• Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP)
  • Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE)
  • Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE)

We will also need to update our server merge technology at which point we will ultimately merge each of the APAC servers into the corresponding North American servers as indicated above. We are moving as quickly as we can to make this happen, but we want to make sure this is a smooth transition, so it will take some time.

Why did we decide not to merge the three APAC servers into one large APAC server? We decided this for two main reasons. 1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style. Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style. 2. The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term.

I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have them. I know the next big question will be “when” and as soon as I have that information to release, I will do so. Thank you for your continued patience on this. I know it took longer than you would have liked but I intend to continue to give you information as soon as I can!

-eric

That sux! I enjoy raiding but with a ping of >400 I doubt I will enjoy it anymore. And what about toon name and Legacy? This will be the nail in the coffin for many APAC SWTOR fans. We beg you to reconsider.

I have been playing the game sine Early Access, with the exception of a 3-4 month break in mid 2012. I have played almost exclusively on NA West Coast servers; originally Ajunta Pall and now Begeren Colony. My main play style is Warzone PVP and a little questing. My ping usually sits at the high 180s to low 240s on a bad day. I have no problem doing well in PVP in this climate. I don't often have long waits for queue pops, except for very late at night and even then usually less than 10 mins. On weekends it's very quick to pop.

I lost some character names during the original server merge process, which I admit was upsetting, but I have moved on and still love my characters. I tried playing on the APAC servers at launch and while I noticed that the ping made a difference in PVP, it was not such that I felt crippled going back to the NA server. Ultimately I left the APAC servers after a while due to the higher population on Begeren Colony making the game much more enjoyable.

I really hope that you guys stick with the game. I understand a lot of the frustration - I went through some similar issues when Ajunta Pall closed down and felt rather betrayed and angry. But it all worked out, I'm happy in the game and with my server.

I'm certainly not here to tell you that you're wrong to be upset, just to share my experience.

Cheers.

Glad you are happy with it. Thing is we have already all played on american servers. And for PvP the ping makes a massive difference, from knock back angles, interupts, cc breaks. Enough to make or break a fight.

I just dont think I am "willing" to handle that crap all over

Not that you have a choice apparently, but I'd like to to say welcome to the Harbinger,Dalborra players. I'm an off hours player so I'm sure I'll be around at least when you guys are on.

On the other hand : As a Harbinger player I'm also a little concerned about further worsening the server instability. Chat servers and mail servers have been sketchy for a week or so as is. The Harbinger has also crashed the most of any server as far as I'm aware. Merging Dalborra ( the highest pop APAC server if I understand correctly) with the Harbinger ( one of the highest pop US servers) seems a little scary. I spose they oughta redirect some of the defunct APAC resources into beefing up the server stabilty of the Harbinger/ Bastion ect?

Also, please refer to this for Harbinger Indoctrination :

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=608539