Security Key Vendor

Nyxypet

Holy crap! How did I miss that? If this is true, I love you. If you are trolling me, I hope Banthas use you as an enema.

He's a little wrong. They are a 1hr cooldown (even though the item does not state that until you use it). However they are on a different cooldown than your emergency fleet pass too.

Well worth the 1k credits a pop.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fleet pass is one use only. It costs 1000cr every time you want to get another one. So it's not really as great as they make it sound.

Hmm, looks like I stand corrected. They probably should clarify on the item that it's 1-time use.

Edited by Llaera

Security Key Vendor Station for using security key...Anyone know if the hassle is worth it? Whats it sell?

It sells Imperial and Republic dancers outfit that you can mod and put your companions in (or yourself)... I'd never really gotten the whole Body Builders in a bikini thing until I'd seen Khem Val :eek:

Edited by British

Wrong.

The first time you use it, it disappears from your inventory and appears as an ability in your ability tab.

However, claims that it has no cooldown are also incorrect. The cooldown is 24h (unless they changed it fairly recently), but is also separate from quick travel. It's still very handy to have.

Wrong.

You get the Fleet Pass as an ability for free early on (forget exactly when). The security key vendor sells consumable Fleet Passes for 1k each. They allow you to instantly travel to the fleet even if the ability is on cooldown, but they disappear after use.

Some companion customizations.

A return to fleet item ( But I have a skill that does the same thing)

A set of clothing - imho ugly as heck.

*Edit* securing your account is a good idea.. but I am regretting it - it drives me crazy having to find my phone every time I want to login.

Note that the return to fleet item has only a 1 hour cooldown.

Also, having your phone on you isn't necessarily a bad thing lol.

The fleet pass is one use only. It costs 1000cr every time you want to get another one. So it's not really as great as they make it sound.

No, they are definitely as great as they sound. I mean, go do one daily and you can buy 7 of them! Why wouldn't you protect your account for free to get these....amazes me that not every single person has acct authentication. I save so much travel time its ridiculous.

So, you work in IT and nothing has ever happened that shouldn't have???

How about, and this is just off the top of my head, Bioware's servers get hacked, your account details stolen? The idiot that does this thinks it's a great laugh to go in to all the accounts that don't have the extra random number generator and delete all the characters?

This is a situation beyond your control and therefore no amount of knowledge, skill or experience on your part means a damn thing, that's why you should get it, especially as it's free.

Who is to say that when Bioware's account server get hacked, that my security key information is not also hacked? I am pretty sure that using my login information (including the reply to a security question - a reply that has to be stored somewhere as well), I can link a new phone to my account.

What I found actually weak was that they didn't allow special characters in my password!

I've got the security key, but there is still some nagging doubt in me that it's really only snake oil. But there isn't a big difference for me between entering the security code or reply one of my personal questions....

Edited by MustrumRidcully

Can someone explain...

You type in your key every time you log in with this "key". Can't a keylogger that managed to get on your system just capture that information every time? I thought you'd plug it in and it would be automatic... but typing it seems like a security risk in of itself.

No its not possible. Once the code is entered its no longer valid. Every time you use the SK you get a new random set of numbers to enter.

I can see someone getting a hold of your account name and password. I can also see maybe how someone could guess your security questions (which you should change every few months) but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could get their account hacked while having a SK unless some guy has awesome abilities and hacks into your iphone/ipod/droid whatever.

Doesn't matter for me though. My ipod is never connected to any internet.

Edited by Jaick

Who is to say that when Bioware's account server get hacked, that my security key information is not also hacked? I am pretty sure that using my login information (including the reply to a security question - a reply that has to be stored somewhere as well), I can link a new phone to my account.

What I found actually weak was that they didn't allow special characters in my password!

I've got the security key, but there is still some nagging doubt in me that it's really only snake oil. But there isn't a big difference for me between entering the security code or reply one of my personal questions....

Once you add the security key option you have to use it to edit your account. So they cannot link it to a new phone without having the security key code. At least that's how it seems to me. The security key basically replaces the security question thing with something more secure.

*Edit* securing your account is a good idea.. but I am regretting it - it drives me crazy having to find my phone every time I want to login.

Slave outfit for empire, elegant for republic.

Purchased fleet pass has 1 hour cooldown, you have fun with your 18 hour fleet pass "skill".

Also yes, different security key vendors have different customizations. The one on... ilum? (or belsavis can't remember) space station has different companion customization from the one on the fleet.

I believe the fleet pass ability with the 24hr cooldown is only given to people who bought the Collector's Edition -- this is different from the one-time use only Fleet Pass items bought for 1000cr.

No, its given to everyone, its in the general tab. But here's the point, 18 hours of cd for a fleet pass, or a 1 hour cooldown for a bought free pass. 1000 credits is nothing.

Edited by Nessirin

• 4 weeks later...

Get it.

1) Except for extreme edge cases, you're not going to get your account hacked and your items sold off. Plus putting the test to csr whether they will fix it.

2) With guild banks in 1.2, no sane guild is going to allow withdrawals for a person without one.

I can't believe the only places I ever see key fobs is on mmos and not actual important places, like banks.

Forget getting your account hacked, which won't happen if you're careful anyway. The reason to get a security key/smartphone app is for the consumable fleet pass. 1000 credits, 30 minute cooldown, takes you back to the fleet, for when your 18 hour CD is down. They're worth it, period.

Who is to say that when Bioware's account server get hacked, that my security key information is not also hacked?

Multifactor authentication is not there to protect against the server being compromised. It is there to prevent the client and transport being compromised.

The keyfob will protect you against malicious software on your computer stealing your account details. It will prevent you from malicious software somewhere on the internet cafe's network. It will protect you against rogue staff at your ISP eavesdropping on your network traffic. It will protect you against someone eavesdropping on your wireless network.

Without a keyfob you should never be doing anything important (MMOG or e-banking) on an untrusted network (internet cafe, public WiFi point, dorm room, whatever).

The passes only have a short cool down where as your ability has what 18 hours? The authenticator is worth it to me even with the 10 second hassle of having to type in a number every login. No matter how safe you are you eventually can download something, go somewhere, touch a banner that gives youa keylogger and your account is gone. The authenticator protects you from that.

The vendor is nice to have for the fleet pass whichi s why Im pretty sure they put it there. To entice you to take security into your own hands ad protect yourself.

Edited by Kindara

You can believe yourself completely secure, but if the account hackers want in, they will get in. For example, in Rift, the game's database was compromised and many people's accounts got hacked despite having done nothing at all. It can happen. Well worth $6 (or free phone app) to have that extra security layer.

Er... that still would have happened with a security key, the flaw was in the launcher and completely bypassed all passwords and such. :eek:

A security key makes you more secure, a lot more if you are very lax about other security, but not very much more if you've got decent security in the first place.

You're infinitesimally likely to be "hacked" either way, most people that lose their accounts gave out their details in the first place one way or another.

• 2 weeks later...
I was one of those "It'll never happen to me because my computer is secure" types until I got hacked a few years back. 6 accounts from 2 different games were lost overnight. Between the hassles of getting the accounts back and item restored Its just easier to spend a few bucks and buy an authenticator.

No its not possible. Once the code is entered its no longer valid. Every time you use the SK you get a new random set of numbers to enter.

I can see someone getting a hold of your account name and password. I can also see maybe how someone could guess your security questions (which you should change every few months) but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could get their account hacked while having a SK unless some guy has awesome abilities and hacks into your iphone/ipod/droid whatever.

Doesn't matter for me though. My ipod is never connected to any internet.

Plenty of accounts on plenty of games have been hacked whilst using an authenticator or security key.

I don't know how they do it, but it seems to only be a hurdle and not a roadblock

Plenty of accounts on plenty of games have been hacked whilst using an authenticator or security key.

I don't know how they do it, but it seems to only be a hurdle and not a roadblock

It can be done by real time hacking with making the launcher crash when you try to connect so the key was never entered.

And people in the WoW community claim theres a 15min window with each key where it can be used several times.

Edited by chaosvernon