Courting Gifts - When?

EvanSnowWolf

I have amassed quite the cargo bay of companion gifts. Most notably, the courting gifts.

I really wanted to romance Elara Dorne. I currently have her at about 5,000 affection points... and I really want to know when I can start giving her Courting gifts.

I am level 27, almost done with Act I. Is it just level/act based?

I have amassed quite the cargo bay of companion gifts. Most notably, the courting gifts.

I really wanted to romance Elara Dorne. I currently have her at about 5,000 affection points... and I really want to know when I can start giving her Courting gifts.

Are you getting the gifts from crew skills? My SI is 28 and has had a grand total of two thus far.

Are you getting the gifts from crew skills? My SI is 28 and has had a grand total of two thus far.

Yes. I have an alt with Underworld Trading that has gotten me like a dozen of the things. But when I give them to her it says +0. Yet, I know she is courtable. Am I waiting for a trigger?

I am not certain, but I know from other class companions (Mako) that courting gifts can be used post-act 1. May be different for Elara, but I imagine it'll be the same.

It appears that companion story is dictated by class story progress (and affection) with no real impact by level. You can't complete some later companion missions which contain combat if the level gap is too great, though.

Yes. I have an alt with Underworld Trading that has gotten me like a dozen of the things. But when I give them to her it says +0. Yet, I know she is courtable. Am I waiting for a trigger?

Is she is over 5000 affection points you'll need lvl 3 or better gifts to get anything.

Someone had a nice list 0-3999, 4000-5999 etc but I can't find it. Also you have to get one flirt in first before most companions like them at all.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Courting gifts are just another category of gifts and have nothing to do with being in a relationship with a character to the best of my knowledge. I probably gave Doc over 100 courting gifts and my JK was most certainly not Bromancing him.

Also if you have already gotten her to 5000 affection, a lot fo those gifts will probably be (almost) worthless by now as that puts her into the third affection bracket, and I believe that means she will get no affection from rank 1 gifts, and she'll only barely get any from rank 2 gifts.

If I understand correctly, certain companions really like courting gifts even if you're not currently pursuing a relationship. Doc, man-ho that he is, would be one of them. ;) But other companions require you to be either at a certain affection threshhold or a certain point in their story before they evince any interest in courting pretties. Edited by Meira_Arirai

If I understand correctly, certain companions really like courting gifts even if you're not currently pursuing a relationship. Doc, man-ho that he is, would be one of them. ;) But other companions require you to be either at a certain affection threshhold or a certain point in their story before they evince any interest in courting pretties.

Don't forget until they update they have to be opposite sex too :p

---

The courting gifts work on her after you finish Act 1. I used all my saved up courting gifts then. She has been at 10000 affection for a awile now.

I think people are mistaken about Courting gifts being timing/gender specific, though I've only attempted to use them during one playthrough so I don't have a lot of empirical evidence.

On my Sith Warrior, Courting gifts generated +0 affection for Jaesa Willsaam regardless of my current affection levels. Conversely, they are a low yield +affection for Malvai Quinn (same sex as my player character). As I understand it now, "Courting" is just another category of item, much like "Trophy", "Weapon", "Imperial Memorabilia", etc.

I wouldn't recommend using them on any character where you've experienced a +0 as I've yet to see that ever change. Instead, save them up to benefit one of your other companions (one of the 5 will gain from it) and use underworld trading or the GTN to find more companion gifts from other categories your target prefers.

Where can we buy the grade 3 gifts?

I have to level up my diplomacy but I get so many useless gifts (grade 1 and 2) I cannot use them on my companions because they now need grade 3 gifts...

I think it only goes up to grade 2s not counting the grade 5s you can buy with gift fragments. The rest you obtain through mission skills.

• 3 weeks later...
---

The courting gifts work on her after you finish Act 1. I used all my saved up courting gifts then. She has been at 10000 affection for a awile now.

So I have been scouring the web trying to get the Final Answer on where the toggle is for changing Courting from the Lower affection gain to the Higher affection gain, for those Companion that allow the change.

Is this the final answer? It doesn't toggle until the end of Act I?

So I have been scouring the web trying to get the Final Answer on where the toggle is for changing Courting from the Lower affection gain to the Higher affection gain, for those Companion that allow the change.

Is this the final answer? It doesn't toggle until the end of Act I?

Gifts (and apparently not just the Courting gifts!) are tied up with affection and romance, which makes them complicated. A lot of the actual romances don't toggle until after Act I, and Elara doesn't like Courting gifts unless she's romanced. (Then she loves them hardcore. XD)

As someone pointed out above, some companions that your character can't even romance will accept Courting gifts. I guess they stash them somewhere to give to people they DO like. ;)

I compiled gifting information from a number of sites into a quick-glance spreadsheet that might help.

It marks not only who likes what gifts, but whether or not romance affects their acceptance. There are some companions where it seems to make a big difference!

Edited by Jenovan

Gifts (and apparently not just the Courting gifts!) are tied up with affection and romance, which makes them complicated. A lot of the actual romances don't toggle until after Act I, and Elara doesn't like Courting gifts unless she's romanced. (Then she loves them hardcore. XD)

As someone pointed out above, some companions that your character can't even romance will accept Courting gifts. I guess they stash them somewhere to give to people they DO like. ;)

I compiled gifting information from a number of sites into a quick-glance spreadsheet that might help.

It marks not only who likes what gifts, but whether or not romance affects their acceptance. There are some companions where it seems to make a big difference!

Thanks for the response, but this still doesn't answer my question. I have seen many sites with the info in your spreadsheet, but nobody can answer the question of WHEN the affection gain will toggle.

I want to see a clear answer like so:

Vette: Affection must be over 6,000 and Act I must be complete

Mako: Affection must be over 4,000 and you must have flirted with her 10 times

THAT is what I am looking for. Hopefully you all are not telling me that NOBODY knows the answer to this question.

You are made of awesome.

But how do I start courting / romancing? I'm a female inquisitor, so I think I can romance Andronikos, but I have no idea how to start that.

I don't know the specifics on that one, unfortunately, but I suppose the generic answer would be, look for flirts in your conversations with him, and flirt like crazy. ;P Since companion conversations seem to be locked based on affection AND your class progress, there may be some dual criteria that need to be met before a flirty conversation becomes available. You might be able to get more specific answers on the Inquisitor forum :)

Thanks for the response, but this still doesn't answer my question. I have seen many sites with the info in your spreadsheet, but nobody can answer the question of WHEN the affection gain will toggle.

I want to see a clear answer like so:

Vette: Affection must be over 6,000 and Act I must be complete

Mako: Affection must be over 4,000 and you must have flirted with her 10 times

THAT is what I am looking for. Hopefully you all are not telling me that NOBODY knows the answer to this question.

Unfortunately, I've never seen that information accumulated in that way. I believe it will come, eventually, but it may not be compiled yet. The problem here, compared with single-player games like Dragon Age, is that there's no undo, or going back to a previous save, to test conditions; when something happens, it's done, and the best we can do is take copious notes of our current status and then compare with others, and try to narrow down the actual conditions for romance to trigger. :/

I have faith that the community will pin this down sooner or later, but if it exists right now, folks are keeping it really quiet. XD;

• 2 months later...