Pyrotech PVP - What They Nerfed-Buffed explained

I know this has been discussed previously but I wanted to put the info in one short post. They nerfed PT in general but the most viable PVP template was always pyro, and I wanted to just address this.

I have run a 7/3/31 pre 2.0 and a 7/3/38 post 2.0, always have run TD.

NERF : Thermal Detonator : no longer the big burst damage (5k+) and is now a 3.5k crit and a weak dot that takes way too long.

NERF : Railshot : No longer can be talented to gain 60%+30% = 90% armor penetration. Now it's can only do 75% when stacking with superheated rail.

NERF : Combustible Gas Cylinder : Burning effect dmg killed by 50%

BUFF : Hydraulic Overrides : great root breaker and out of combat run speed

BUFF : Chaff flare : If you take degauss it removes all roots and movement impairing effects

BUFF : CGC on flame sweep : when talented has a 100% chance to trigger CGC and it also is an area slow (when combined with sweltering heat)

That's basically it. The end result with all the new mechanics is a 10-20% overall damage decrease. The buffs and special moves giving to other classes means we can only do mid-lvl damage and are no longer elite.

Bounty Hunter is now a forlorn class and has really no place in PVP when you compare it to other more buffed classes in 2.0. My recommendation is to play it if you still have fun, but if you want to be a factor move on into a sniper, mara, healer operative, or damage sorc to be a real factor.

FYI bioware, you could fix PT and make it viable again by doing ONE of these:

1) Restoring CGC to it's former lvl

2) Restoring +15% armor piercing to rail shot

3) Restoring full burst dmg capability to thermal detonator

Why do I think I hear Mr. Peckinpaugh laughing already?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I think I hear Mr. Peckinpaugh laughing already?

go fire him, as you did in an other very funny thread :)

but i DO agree with you on one thing - you sure need a vacation.

PT is not a lolstomper anymore, you wont just walk around and see everything die - you actually need a little bit of skill.

AP is probably much better than pyro nowadays - get use to it.

Watch Koozie's video few threads below, try other builds, re-learn to play PT = profit.

change ur char to mara/sniper/sorc = profit for everybody else.

Seriously im starting to thing that this forums have higher WPS (whine per second) than DPS of a full party of snipers :)

Please, stop saying Powertech is unviable. Pyro will never reach the same overall dps because it's focused on single-target. The only reason it was reaching high numbers pre-2.0 is because of OP CGC. We have 3 trees, not just pyrotech.

CGC wasnt OP it was perfectly fine considering PT only has 2 defensive abilities...

Please, stop saying Powertech is unviable. Pyro will never reach the same overall dps because it's focused on single-target. The only reason it was reaching high numbers pre-2.0 is because of OP CGC. We have 3 trees, not just pyrotech.

As dps, neither pyro nor AP perform well in PvE or PvP. The tank tree is okay, but jugg and sin tanks are better.

No one ever said they PT is completely unviable, but there is a huge difference between being viable (mediocre) and being good. Each tree in every advanced class need to be good at something. Currently all PT trees are mediocre in all aspects.

I love these AP guys saying there is more than one tree for PT, WE KNOW. They are all either mediocre or unviable compared to other classes right now. Like I said in the original post, we need one of three nerfs back to make us viable again.

I feel the AP pain, they should get all kinds of buffs and shieldtech as well to put them on par, but this thread is about pyrotech.

Then, you are not playing the class right. I still see good pyro players do good damage. Not as sick as before, but still acceptable.

This is the line of thought that many, many hold. It is basically the line of thought that BW holds.

What is missing from this line of thought is any consideration for the change in average player quality for the people who still use PT Pyro. Simply put, only the best PT Pyro players remain in the subclass. The crappy and mediocre players have largely abandoned it. So of course you still see PT Pyro players do well. On average they are more highly skilled than player in FotM classes. We saw this same phenomenon with stealth dps after 1.1/1.2. With Merc dps after 1.2. With Annihiliation Mara. Nerfed classes look BETTER after they get nerfed from a meta average standpoint.

I don't get the sense of the talent trees for both of the DD specs.

Okay, Pyrotech is the DoT-Tree and it's completely acceptable, regarding the fact that the talent tree is working very well in it's way with DoT-damage.

What makes me a bit insecure is AP. What the hag is the sense of this talent tree? We get on top the burst talent that deals elemental damage - and at the beginning the Retractable Blade that's got a DoT-component.

What is AP about? Mingling bleeds and burst? I don't get it. Blood Tracker is such a ridiculous talent... 2 talent points for 3% more dmg to bleeding targets? Are you joking BioWare??? :D:rolleyes:

I like Flame Thrower but it's such a... crap ability in PvP if the target is moving. They should allow us using FT while moving, would solve many problems with AP.

Interesting idea!

Yeah but BioWare isn't listening.

It's the same with Ravage ( Sith Warrior ). This ability is powerful and has many talents relating to it but it's a channeled 3sec spell... something like that for MELEES in PvP is just horrible.

Yeah but BioWare isn't listening.

It's the same with Ravage ( Sith Warrior ). This ability is powerful and has many talents relating to it but it's a channeled 3sec spell... something like that for MELEES in PvP is just horrible.

You want to make AP viable?

Try cutting the ridiculous cooldown on immolate. Spamming flame blast three or four times in a row while waiting is no fun.

Try giving AP something like PTA or superheated rail. AP has a weaker armor penetration on rail - AND you have to wait forever for it. All AP gets is an auto crit on RS after a rocket punch. Big deal. In 55 eliminator set PVP, a pyro is going to crit half the time anyways with the set bonus. They can fire rail twice in a row, then once every six seconds. Why not give AP a similar ability with prototype loaders?

Bioware nerfed pyro, but it's still mostly better than AP for DPS. Sorry guys, AP just has too many weak, broken, or useless skills at this point.

So you see I'm not an expert on PT pvp and I don't know how it is on ranked. Before 2.0 I used to be a pyro, but since I changed to AP to see what's the deal with it and I'm having a lot of fun. So you see I was a lvl 37 and managed to do this one of these days on AP tree:

http://i.imgur.com/fiFmJV8.jpg

I don't know if means a lot but on every lowbie wz I'm doing quite nice numbers and able to even solo 2 guys with AP tree a lot of cds. My only problem so far has been trying to kill an Op healer.

So you see I'm not an expert on PT pvp and I don't know how it is on ranked. Before 2.0 I used to be a pyro, but since I changed to AP to see what's the deal with it and I'm having a lot of fun. So you see I was a lvl 37 and managed to do this one of these days on AP tree:

http://i.imgur.com/fiFmJV8.jpg

I don't know if means a lot but on every lowbie wz I'm doing quite nice numbers and able to even solo 2 guys with AP tree a lot of cds. My only problem so far has been trying to kill an Op healer.

I am 26 and I am doing between 350-550k damage every battleground - it means nothing. :)

Right now I can kill most enemies quite "easy", because we don't get that heavy pew pew in higher levels. Other classes got really strong 45 point talents or other strong abilities later - that's where we are lacking, too.

Now I can kill most players without a problem - healers, too, because when I interrupt one heal they can't do much. But later... you won't be able to kill a healer.

Edited by LovarBoy

Okay, let's get a few things straight.

From the Pyro/Assault perspective, PT/VG was NEVER an aoe damage class. We did not do big numbers because of some sort of ego massaging idea of "spreading dots around". Spreading dots around was never efficient and nobody that tried to pull it off ever killed anyone or did anything impressive on the damage board. When we were out damaging smash monkies, it was all single target. CGC was free, reliably hit hard and stacked up well with the rest of our single target burst. That's why it was nerfed.

If you think otherwise, or think it's "okay" now, go home, you're drunk.

The simple reality is that other classes have been brought up to where we were, and we were gutted. Telling people they're not playing right is asinine because the rotation/mechanics haven't changed. The burst is gone, and that's all we ever had.

Bioware nerfed pyro, but it's still mostly better than AP for DPS. Sorry guys, AP just has too many weak, broken, or useless skills at this point.

I have to disagree again. If we are talking about just 1 target pyro might have a chance. But that's not always the case. You will have more than 1 target most of the time that increases APs potential based on how you setup your PFT.

PT is my main, played pyro with best rated teams on my pvp server. I've also played AP and Ap/pyro hybrid in rateds pre and post 2.0. I am not an advocate of AP, im just saying that instead of complaining, try to adapt with the changes first. If others can do good with a certain spec and you can't, there is still a room for improvement.

I for myself love pyro but i don't think its rightfully balanced for other classes. Its skill to viability ratio is not proportional, good players with pocket heals will outdps combined dps of other players (juggs excluded). Now tell me if that's just fine.

Edited by dijskykiller

You're an idiot and bad if you're playing any other tree than pyro.