Playing SWTOR on older computer systems.

Albertwang

Hello folks,

I have a 2006 17" Alienware Aurora m9700 with 2 GB RAM (maxed with DDR RAM), 500 GB 5400 RPM Seagate hard drive (640 GB additional 2nd drive), and 2 (SLI) Nvidia 7900GS video card (256 MB).

I have the following settings:

Windowed

Medium 800 x 600

No bloom

Default medium settings.

Are there any recommended settings for older systems that people here are using for SWTOR setup? I hope to upgrade but for right now this is what I have to deal with. After all, this Alienware cost around $4000 back 5 years ago so upgrading the gaming system is very expensive investment for sure.

What setups hardware wise are people using? And what settings just to get playable frame rates? I notice that flashpoints and heroics have been laggy. And initial loading of planets when I arrive is rather slow but is this related to RAM? I can't upgrade my RAM anymore :(.

Thanks for your help guys!

2GB max on a 2006 machine? I think not...

Don't waste so much money on a brand name next time, those specs should have been $2000 tops.

2GB is low for Win7 (I imagine you are using XP) and won't manage this game very well forcing your system to use a lot of pagefile on your insanely slow 5400rpm HDD.

Next time:

64bit OS, 8GB RAM min (I use 16GB and turn off pagefile; which a lot of people suggest against), SSD if you want to drop the money, but at the very least go for 7200rpm with decent cache. Video cards change favor based on the season, so just pick up what people like at the time.

Edited by jdrake

Yeah I agree. Old specs but back then this rig was the best at the time. The fact that I can load up SWTOR and have something play is good enough. I plan to upgrade to a new 17" gaming laptop later on next year. Right now I'm just going to just enjoy the game :)

I ran SWTOR on 2GB for a minute (using XP). I had put off upgrading RAM until I started playing this game. I just didn't see the need for it. It dramatically changed the game for me. Load times, lag, crashes, etc. It helped nearly every aspect going from 2-4GB of ram.

Like others have suggested, I'd find a way to upgrade that ram. I bet you can. Everything else is manageable imho.