Powertech Tanking

Jutah

I made a "remember my name one though" :D

But really who enjoyed tanking style of Powertech, feels more like a mixed ranged/melee tank, than just a ranged or melee tank.

Though there high amount of AoE ability's (not as powerful) feels like a Prot Paladin but I'm not comparing wow and swtor, just to point that out, anyway.

I like to burn things. :D

I played as a tank powertech up to 27. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. A shame that it wasn't an actual ranged tank as I often found myself running in within 4 meters of my target to get off a few abilities. Edited by Jakushka

Thank you for actually making a post instead of creating a First thread like a moron

Hear hear! I squeed uncontrollably when I saw a community mod post "Sorry, but this isn't exactly in the theme of Star Wars, so we're going to go ahead and take it down. Thanks!" I refreshed ad the page was gone XD

Big ups, mods! :D You're making the forums less ******** one first-post-nuke at a time.

So here's a question, what skills besides the ones that directly say it are going to build aggro? I've also heard from some videos from the beta about aggro tables and having a specific order for them. I'm new to MMORPG's and so I'm also wondering how those work. Edited by Kfags

The first out of the six builds I played as a Bounty Hunter, I chose Mercenary because that was what I had planned before Beta. The second build I decided to try the Powertech and fell in love with the AC. This, honestly, was the first MMO to make me enjoy playing a tank, and the Bounty Hunter (and probably Trooper that I will play for my Rep side main) fits my game-playing personality much more.

The Powertech has plenty of abilities to throw at the enemy in combat. Flame burst, flamethrower, explosive darts, short-term cc electro darts, up close melee retractable blades (in Advanced Prototype tree), Jet Charge, the AOE flamethrower spin (forgot the exact name) and Grappling Hook (ala MK Scorpion move).

Also, as a Shieldtech with Mako at your side for healing, Guard (group member/companion threat reducer) and Ion-Gas Cylinder (tanking stance), you can test your soloing limits in those first 25 levels far better than a Sith Juggernaut. The Flame Burst ability has a talent in the Shieldtech tree early that will help reduce damage on the Powertech. And there is also a talent buff that makes (if it has not been changed) rocket punch activate Ion-Gas Cylinder for another threat generator.

So now that the Beta is done and the true game is upon us, the Powertech has made me torn between that AC and my earlier original choice of the Arsenal Mercenary.

Edited by Ossian

Aye, I solo'ed Black Talon as a Powertech Tank with Miko healing me, was surprized how well it went.

Though of course it gets harder later on, so getting used to how BH tanking works is a must but BH Tanking feels right at home with me, since I have tanked on alot of MMO's.

So here's a question, what skills besides the ones that directly say it are going to build aggro? I've also heard from some videos from the beta about aggro tables and having a specific order for them. I'm new to MMORPG's and so I'm also wondering how those work.

Damage builds aggro. Ion cell increases that amount of aggro, so that your damage counts for more than other people's damage for aggro building.

If another powertech has a different cell equipped, they will not build as much aggro as you do when they deal an equal amount of damage.

The problem is that they are probably doing more damage, so a tank needs that aggro multiplier in order to keep up.

So generally speaking, just do damage. Hit things, and with Ion cell equipped, you will generate aggro.

Things like neural dart are more situational. Yeah, you can use it just to use it, but it is of more use to just hold on to until someone decides to wander off and start beating on the group healer or a DPSer that outstripped the aggro that you had generated.

But I am here because of the beta.

My original intent was to play Republic, but I had a couple of friends that wanted to play Imperial come launch, so I decided that, when I got my beta invite, I would test out some Imperial classes and see what is what.

I very much enjoyed the story and the way that the class played. My favorite by far.

Edited by Mithros

Nice to see new tank converts. I always used to play healers in almost every MMO I played and ever since the weekend tests I still can't get PT tanking out of my head. I tried playing a Jedi Shadow the next weekend stress test and boy did I feel squishy. The allure of this class is the survivability. Watching other classes get smacked around before I can get enough aggro was amusing and mind boggling at best but they'll get the hang of it sooner or later.

I only got to level 27 and I have to give props to Elicas for the great in depth PT tanking guide. If you let your CCers get their groove on the pulls will be much more fluid because we all know how chaotic it gets when you have that one person that isn't on the same page with understanding priority CC icons...but sometimes the chaos gets the blood pumping and there's nothing like having a group of mobs wailing on you while you shrug it off.:)