I miss Star Wars Galaxies :(

GolgoThirteen

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It adds a bit of realism to the game world. Why wouldn't a bounty hunter be able to walk up to you and shoot you, wherever you were? If you had a bounty on your head you had to be aware of the risks. I think that much was brilliant. As for the quick travel, being stranded is also realistic, though I'm not sure how in the world you managed to get stranded in the first place.

Also, about the best story line thing... you clearly haven't played a Consular.

Well, for the Quick Travel thing:

I was level 10, and I joined a guild. The leader took me to a palace on Yavin that he got, a Sith Temple I believe. It was fun, we all fought some battles in the Arena area. Then, they sort of left me there while they all got on their vehicles and zoomed off. I just barely managed make it to a Space port, so I could just stay on Tatooine. The game had it's ups and its downs, and while I do miss my Space Yacht (That somehow dropped from a Womp Rat) it just seemed a bit unforgiving.

Btw, I play a Knight, not a Consular. Give me a Lightsaber Duel over diplomacy any day. I wouldn't judge all class stories by just one, if I were you.

Edited by bionamaster

Maybe if a certain amount of people banned together and locked arms on the issue long enough, perhaps(long-shot), LA would consider opening a few SWG FTP servers(with all original toons in tact with their house and possessions in their inventory) to hold those die-hards for a possible monitary advantage(because we know thats what this was all about regarding keeping swg open) in the near/far future. I just hope that someday someone comes to their senses and puts SWG back in action. There were alot of e-families broken up when that game shut down. Go to Youtube and type in swg last day. You'll see hundreds of videos made and see how many, I'd say thousands of people came on to say goodbye. Enemies and friends alike gave hugs, apologies and farewells all around. It was a beautiful starwarzy thing. Miss it very much. Lata (Oh yeah and swtor is alright but NOTHING compares to swg, nothing)

I have to disagree with all the SWG fans.

That game was the most boring game I have ever played.

The first time I played I managed to stay for almost a year because I am a huge SW fan. But there was no direction and the forced PvP was REALLY lame. I just liked being a rebel and busting up imperial compounds.. then some Imperial jerk would come along and one shot me after I finished a big fight. Or the stupid Bounty Hunters that kept destroying my speeders. Don't care for PvP at all unless it is totally my choice as to when to PvP. Like joining a warzone just for a change once in a great while.

At least TOR has a story to guide you. SWG was the same stupid random delivery or kill missions from the terminal over and over again.

I did go back to it a couple years ago and made it maybe 3 months because of the new quest system..except that only works to get you leveled up a bit and then is mindless aimless stuff again. I did like the addition of space missions but that only went so far.

TOR has more depth and direction and reason to keep playing in 4 months than SWG had in years. Granted to the hardcore there is little to do ( from their perspective ), but they still have more than SWG had to offer from what I have seen in my roughly year and half playing SWG and have played TOR from prelaunch.

Many of you may disagree with my overall assessment here, but that is your opinion, not mine.

I will admit there are some features of SWG that I find better than TOR..well really only two I can think of off the top of my head....character creation and appearances.

For those that miss it..I hope they revive it or you find something else you like as well.

May the Force Be with You

I never played SWG when it was live but after hearing a lot about it on these forums I bought the disks off Ebay and installed the emu. After dabbling a few hours with it I find it enjoyable but I wouldn't call it better or worse than TOR. The 2 games are more complementary than opposed IMO. SWG provides the feeling of living in the SW galaxy as an average person and to be able to do whatever you wish, big or small. Great feeling or freedom but it also can feel quite empty. TOR is much more restrictive but it makes you feel like a true hero and its production values are through the roof compated to what a sandbox game could have been. I will probably keep playing both.

I havent logged into my TOR account in 6 weeks prior to today. With Star Wars Galaxies, I didnt miss a single day in the 2.5 yrs I played the game

With TOR, when I did log in it was...

1. check mail, repost items on market

2. que for warzone

3. check mail, repost items on market

With Star Wars Galaxies, when I did log in it was....

1. check factories

2. post items on your PERSONAL VENDOR INSIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE

3. check to see if resources changed (they had stats)

4. move harvesters

5. hit a cantina to chat up some friends

6. craft a special order with another player's krayt tissue, nightsister shard, or giant dune kimo scale

and if you werent a crafter (keep in mind, in swg crafting wasnt a secondary skill everyone had)....

7. go to coronet for doc buffs

8. go to cantina for mind buffs

9. go hunting.....there were many options and many reasons....

your armorsmith friend needs wooly hide and a great spawn just came in with amazing stats. so off you go to hunt on whatever planet the spawn happened

you want a specially made FWG5 pistol, enhanced with krayt tissues. so off you go to tatooine to hunt krayt dragons.

you want a rare armor set callled RIS and you need 3 specific drops from three rare animals. off you go to hunt

10. build and maintain a player city

11. go into space and enjoy wide open dogfights, hunt for resources, or just visit with friends on your ship

12. pvp, either attacking any enemy player or destroy player owned bases

13. explore, and i mean real exploration. worlds so massive, wide open, no forced paths,and no sharding

14. if you were a bounty hunter, go hunt player jedi...yes actual player bounties in the game

15. go hunt and tame creatures if you were a creature handler

16. trying a new skill. you didnt have to reroll another toon to try a different skill set

17. do quests, yes a sandbox mmo has quests but they are sometimes hidden. you actually have to explore

18. shop players vendors, looking for a variety of weapons, armors, food and drink, regular clothes, spices, etc

I havent even scratched the surface on all the things you could do in SWG. in every mmo ive tried since, its the same boring game at the end. star wars galaxies didnt have an end

I could'nt have said this any better. Well written

My entire first 154 days in the game (Pre-Cu) were dedicated to unlocking my Jedi slot...then it was off to more grinding to get my 2 templates up to speed...awesome times those were...I probably missed 3/4 of that game just grinding my Jedi up...

Why so much complaining? If you all miss it so much Im fairly certain you can all go play on a private server. I used to play on a pre-CU private server and it worked rather well. Granted it won't be exact;y the same but who cares, you still get to play it again... and for free. All you would have to do is find the pre-CU game in a torrent and sign up on a private server host website. Easy as pie. And for those who think it is illegal i am fairly certain it is not. WoW has plenty of legal private servers, and plus if it was illegal the companies would quickly shut them down. Problem solved.

I only wish that someone would pick Galaxies back up redo the code on a new engine and make the improvements to the game that never were and update it. I can only imagine with todays technology it could be the best game ever if done right this game was fun at the beginning but now I log on twice a week to raid only because others depend on me to be there but it certainly does not catch me the way galaxies did and probably never will

• 1 year later...
SWG was a horrid game from the start...tried it a few times over it's life span...just a huge disappointment all over. Terribly done.

Know what?

There are TONS of people who liked and enjoyed SWG. Threads like this one pop up all the time, not just on the TOR forums, but on other game forums as well. The fact that so many enjoyed it for so long and will always miss it is a testament to what kind of game it was. No, it wasn't perfect. No game is.

10 years from now, will people look back fondly on TOR? Doubt it. The sandbox element of SWG is what made it special, and no theme park game will EVER come close. EvE Online is still going strong after 10 years, has a dedicated following, and a tight community too. Also sandbox. The last of its kind. Games like TOR are a dime a dozen.

Happy 10th Anniversary SWG, you are sorely missed :)

I think it launched on 26th June and I started at the beginning of July 2003, some great memories, best MMO I have ever played in many ways, that's in 13 years of MMO'ing :D

Edited by Cordelia

I only miss the pre-cu times. Despite what people say, the game turned to crap afterwards. I stayed on for awhile just to hang around with friends I've made but I really only played the space game. When NGE hit, there was no one around to play with.

I rather like SW:TOR, but I really miss SWG.

I miss my bio engineer/creature handler and my teras kasi/pistoleer. I miss finding the best spots for my mining rigs and crafting über items. I miss crazy world PvP and going to cantinas and chatting then tipping the entertainer and heading out into the wastes. I miss player cities.

I don't miss the NGE.

Anyway, misty eyed nostalgia over with. See you on the galactic battlefields.

I don't miss Galaxies at all. I think it was the worst Star Wars game to date. Even worse than Galactic Battlegrounds. I know the crafting system is lauded as being superior to just about every other game out there. I've little interest in crafting so I couldn't care less about that. The combat system was terrible, the graphics were horrid, performance was worse, buffs, combat systems etc. was all crap.

And worse than all of that combined was the fact that the game failed to capture the feel of Star Wars despite having the music, Stormtroopers and droids running around. There was just something way off about the whole experience.

That game was crap and thank god SWTOR is not Galaxies 2.0.

• 4 weeks later...

I never played SWG, but I can tell it was a fantastic game. For what I know, SWG was sandbox. Being a sandbox makes it a completely other game from SWTOR, which is story driven. I personally prefer Sandbox, and would play a game like SWG, should one come out. At the same time.

However, it is probably for the best the game closed when it did. SWG got a good burial, when you look back, you will think good things and have fond memories. If SWG stayed alive in a SWTOR world, it would likely lead to what I call "Corpse-Mutilation". Corpse-Mutilation is when a MMORPG reaches a point after about 10 years, where it is outdated, and it is time it be put to rest, and replaced with a game with the same goals, systems and principals, but with updated Engines, Graphics and Environments. Though SWTOR wasn't exactly a SWG 2.0, it is a template to be added onto later.

I was once a RuneScape player, and I have many good memories of the game. Unfortunately, Jagex, the games developers, refuse to let Runescape have its rightful grave, instead they are mutilating the game with "ideas" from other games, into a game that wasn't built for it, causing a messy product, which will be remembered badly.

In Short:

-SWG was a great game, and it is a good thing it came to end when it did.

-Galaxies will maintain a good legacy, which will carry on into SWTOR, and hopefully encourage further development in the customization sector

*-The best way to honor Star Wars: Galaxies, and keep it's legacy alive, is to help BioWare add Galaxies'es good elements into SWTOR-*

Maybe you could get some old SWG players together and brainstorm on ideas to help SWTOR. Maybe BioWare could add in planets, which are like the SWG planets, where players can build cities and houses.

I never played SWG, but I can tell it was a fantastic game.

*-The best way to honor Star Wars: Galaxies, and keep it's legacy alive, is to help BioWare add Galaxies'es good elements into SWTOR-*

You never played the game but here you are preaching to keep its legacy alive. Maybe you should see past the glitter the diehard SWG fanboys have put on it and get a real look at what was SWG. Sadly the game no longer exists in its laughable state, but you can experience some of the silliness via the SWG Emu.

Then come back and explain to BioWare as to what they can do so that we can all enjoy the Uncle Owens class that people have been asking for. :rolleyes:

You never played the game but here you are preaching to keep its legacy alive. Maybe you should see past the glitter the diehard SWG fanboys have put on it and get a real look at what was SWG. Sadly the game no longer exists in its laughable state, but you can experience some of the silliness via the SWG Emu.

Then come back and explain to BioWare as to what they can do so that we can all enjoy the Uncle Owens class that people have been asking for. :rolleyes:

Preaching? I am just saying the game is gone, and it is time people move forward. If they want to game to live on, they should petition Bioware for SWG elements. Not saying BW needs to add them.

Undoubtedly the best mmo to date. The game had so much to do, and it rarely ever got boring. NGE was such a great change to the game it allowed many positive aspects. The fact your house can be unique compared to others, amount of classes and diversity that was allowed. The PvP cause such excitement, tell Restuss was fun for me. Huge zerg fests with lots of lags was pretty lulz as well. Battlefields made pvp much more competitive and created some funny drama in the communities. I think the best thing of all about the game was once you hit max level, there was so much to do. Unlike this game it gets boring very quickly.

I remember SWG the most as a Perma Death Jedi. That is the best time I ever have had in a game.

To be a Jedi at the Starport waiting for that 10minute shuttle, extremely paranoid that you were TEF or attacked by anyone since any Imperial can attack you. To be grinding on Dathomir and watching your radar for traveling imperial reds looking for a jedi and then watch your radar turn red.. force speed out of their or turn and fight 10 people.. and if you were high enough kill them all. And still get tells from them saying... "That was awesome!"

Lost my first jedi to perma death, the second one lasted till the CU...

Perma death was the best thing in that game, too bad they listened to the whiners.

• 4 years later...
I remember SWG the most as a Perma Death Jedi. That is the best time I ever have had in a game.

To be a Jedi at the Starport waiting for that 10minute shuttle, extremely paranoid that you were TEF or attacked by anyone since any Imperial can attack you. To be grinding on Dathomir and watching your radar for traveling imperial reds looking for a jedi and then watch your radar turn red.. force speed out of their or turn and fight 10 people.. and if you were high enough kill them all. And still get tells from them saying... "That was awesome!"

Lost my first jedi to perma death, the second one lasted till the CU...

Perma death was the best thing in that game, too bad they listened to the whiners.

I remember that ... killing a Jedi back then was a BIG thing ... I was in a group of 5 people, we saw a Jedi on Yavin .... that guy lured us to the Dark Jedi Temple ...

It took us a few attempts to get past those two guards, but when we did, it was like being in a predator movie ... that temple was a bugger to navigate ... that one Jedi then proceeded to pick us off one at a time.

My poor pack of Sand Panthars never new what hit them.