I'm legacy level 30 - why do I have to pay millions of credits to unlock stuff?

Kheg

So far legacy has been one of the biggest letdowns of the game for me. Great I can do all this work so that I can level in to something that does nothing for me other than open up another endless credit sink. I have played these games for over a decade and I have never had as many problems with credits as I do in this game.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having these double-requirements is absolutely pointless, and borderline insulting to the players that wish to make use of these unlocks. "I see you've finally achieved legacy level 15! Congratulations! Instead of rewarding you outright, we ask that you fork over a few million credits before you enjoy this minor perk!"

If the legacy system did not exist and they were asking that much for these perks, fine. That's fair. But claiming that the legacy system rewards you for playing the game simply isn't true.

My thoughts Exactly. Running dailys for months on end just to receive my so called "reward", that i thought i had already unlocked, is just insulting.

When a game starts to feel more like a job then an escape. I start to question why i am playing it.

Edited by RuNuB

Seriously, I know - I have no life. I play the game, I enjoy the game. I remember when legacies were first announced it was said "Oh hey! You'll be able to unlock them with either credits or legacy experience!" That's fine, and there's a whole what... maybe 3 or so legacy perks that are essentially useless that fall under that category?

1.3 comes along, and again, more legacy fluff comes along, and again I'd have to shell out a bazillion credits if I want to tinker with the legacy perks. Except this time, it's even worse because they're per character.

I know credits aren't terribly hard to come by in the game, but come on! The legacy perks cap out at level 25. I'm sure more will be added later. I'm LL30 and the XP just keeps on piling up as I keep throwing my cash at Bioware - and yet you guys keep putting credit sink barriers with ridiculous numbers up? Really?

At least start giving legacy unlocks after LL25 to give a discount on legacy perk prices for us losers with no life that support your game!

I'm only a few bars away from Legacy Level 50 and I agree there should be more perks or unlocks that only someone with max Legacy like myself should be able to get. Like a cool mount or title or something....lol.

But as far as the credit costs?..... meh. It's kind of a pain, but not that big a deal really. I can easily afford all the perks and unlocks on multiple alts. Credits are easy to come by when you have 6 level 50's. :)

I'm only a few bars away from Legacy Level 50 and I agree there should be more perks or unlocks that only someone with max Legacy like myself should be able to get. Like a cool mount or title or something....lol.

But as far as the credit costs?..... meh. It's kind of a pain, but not that big a deal really. I can easily afford all the perks and unlocks on multiple alts. Credits are easy to come by when you have 6 level 50's. :)

Six level 50s. No problem with credit sinks. Belief that people with a lot of time on their hands to grind legacy levels need a reward.

I'm going to be EXTREMELY nice and describe your life as having a very "flexible schedule". The kind of flexibility that most people don't get to enjoy.

Edited by Celebrus

You're absolutely right, I do have a very flexible schedule. Not everyone gets to spend 12 hrs a day playing SWTOR while they're at work. God, I love my job. :D

While slightly jealous, yeah, I agree, most people don't have that kind of flexibility.

While it may seem perfectly acceptable given the amount of time you can find to spend within the game, I think that a lot of other players with different styles of play/amount of play time, would benefit a lot from reduced prices.

While slightly jealous, yeah, I agree, most people don't have that kind of flexibility.

While it may seem perfectly acceptable given the amount of time you can find to spend within the game, I think that a lot of other players with different styles of play/amount of play time, would benefit a lot from reduced prices if there was actually something worth purchasing.

FIFY ....

/agree.

;)

While it may seem perfectly acceptable given the amount of time you can find to spend within the game, I think that a lot of other players with different styles of play/amount of play time, would benefit a lot from reduced prices.

True. I sure wouldn't complain if they started giving us some discounts. ;)

True. I sure wouldn't complain if they started giving us some discounts. ;)

At the risk of sounding like that "The Rent is too Dang High" Guy, but "The prices of Legacy Perks are too Dang High!" Which is why I support the sliding cost scale for legacy. As Legacy Level increases price per perk decreases.

Edited by Urael

Money sink, that's why.

Besides that Legacy is an epic fail of no use for anything so far. I don't know if this is going to change in the future but actually is pretty useless.

I don't know, I find the Legacy System pretty fun and useful for my alts. That's just me though. :)

Agreed. You figured anyone at legacy level 30 could afford this. WRONG. Unless you are playing the GTN game or grinding boring dailies, you are actually out playing and enjoying the MAIN POINTS of the game (HM's/operations/pvp/leveing alts,etc)

Do they really require me to go to the Black Hole 30x in a week so i can get all these bonuses for my toons?

You cannot design cash sinks successfully around the top 0.1%.

^This.

The overwhelming majority of players in the game do not have 1 million credits, or anywhere near that number. This is coming from BW themselves. So why cater to the people that do? Wouldn't you want to go about it in exactly the opposite fashion to keep your subscribers happy if for nothing else?

The legacy system is a massive disappointment for me. As it seems you are forced to grind TWICE for unlocks. I hate to say it but the unlocks aren't that great either. And that's being nice.

I decided to get into it and at least try. I even bought a head piece that was orange for an alt from the legacy vendor. Then... I went to Nar Shadaa and the very first quest you do there gives you an orange head piece with the exact same model as the one you just bought for 150k. Those Legacy vendors should be taken out of the game, they are that useless. That kind of thing down right annoys me.

I'm sorry guys but the legacy system as it stands just sucks. Why should we grind our way to level 50 legacy just to get the right to pay over immense amounts of credits for stuff that really don't reflect the expenditure?

Also, I don't see the point in just bringing out more alt based legacy bonuses. There needs to be some top end stuff brought in, and really it needs to reward the time you already spent, not ask you to pay 5 million credits for a mount that goes the same speed as all the others for example. 5 million credits most people don't have remember.

If anything is going to kill this game, it is the developers not being in touch with the community or even their own game.

The entire legacy system is a massive letdown for me. I expected an added avenue of char progression (a legacy point every level or two or something allong those lines and a "skill tree"), even if only in the fluff/conveniance direction. But this MT store placeholder is just *meh* through and through.

I remember being excited about dinging legacy lvl 10, back when I figured it might mean something. Now I'm 45 and I've turned the xp bar off. I have no idea why BW bothered with it, it means nothing. At this stage its just a "no-life meter" screaming at you to stop playing.

Edited by aeterno

Seriously OP....I agree a lot.

Based on their wording, I expected the character perks to be unlocked for all my characters when I reached a certain legacy level.....I've scored extremely high on reading comprehension exams, they did imply that it would be unlocked free of charge when you reached that legacy level.

they went from there was very little to spend credits on, to you can only buy things if you have an insane amount of credits.

Plus there's the whole "story" behind the legacy system.

Your other characters get better because they are related to a higher level person. The "genetic" traits are passed down. Where do credits come into the roleplaying picture?

Agreed. You figured anyone at legacy level 30 could afford this. WRONG. Unless you are playing the GTN game or grinding boring dailies, you are actually out playing and enjoying the MAIN POINTS of the game (HM's/operations/pvp/leveing alts,etc)

Do they really require me to go to the Black Hole 30x in a week so i can get all these bonuses for my toons?

yep, you have to do dailies nonstop, to earn enough credits for a character, who you can't play because you're grinding credits nonstop.

GG BW!

Edited by Synxos

Hmmm.

While talking about some of the very, very high GTN prices I was seeing on my server, I was told by several people that people towards max level have a lot of credits simply because they do not have anything to spend the credits on. Run a few FPs, WZs, dailies and other quests, sell your trash, and the credits really start to stack up. Makes sense. If you have bought your pets, social items, gear augments, etc, what else are you spending your credits on?

My interpretation of the Legacy unlocks is that they are EXTRA. You do NOT have to have them to play the game.

When I see people complaining about Legacy costs, two points come to mind. First, yes, they are a little expensive. But since they are not mandatory, I am not that worried about them. Second, people do not want to play the game. "Oh, this is too hard." "I don't want to run dailies to earn money to pay for stuff." So, what? You do not want to play the game? Try this theory on for size: Legacy prices drop significantly. Within a month, you buy all the unlocks, pets, items, etc. that you want. Now, you don't want or need anything. New FPs are not coming out for another few months. You've maxed out commendations and have nothing left to buy by running WZs. You've done it all. What will you do? You might quit and that means Bioware loses revenue until you start paying again (if you do come back.) If enough players do this, the company starts making allowances to entice people back. They go free to play, or other bonuses. Now people complain that the game is too easy, blah, blah, blah.

See what I'm saying?

Run your dailies, sell the occasional prototype item that drops on the GTN, buy your Legacy items. That's all part of playing the game which is what you are supposed to do.

Edited by Hyde_v

yep, you have to do dailies nonstop, to earn enough credits for a character, who you can't play because you're grinding credits nonstop.

GG BW!

QFT.

That's the annoying part. The time I have to spend grinding money on my main so that I can buy legacy on my alt, is better spent on actually leveling the alt in the first place.

Money sink, that's why.

Besides that Legacy is an epic fail of no use for anything so far. I don't know if this is going to change in the future but actually is pretty useless.

As it stands right now I agree, the legacy system is a complete failure. If unlocks were based only on legacy level it would be a great incentive. Instead of encouraging the use of alts, the legacy system encourage grinding one character to be able to afford a perk for your alt. Personally, I've stopped playing everything but my inquisitor, and I absolutely do not buy anything with him because I'm trying to earn enough for the Chiss unlock. I get the feeling that I'm going to burn out before I get there.

I feel like your legacy level should award you with some kind of legacy tokens or points similar to the skill trees. You can accumulate and save those points to spend on legacy perks, all of which would be legacy-wide. I find this character-specific perk setup to be counter-intuitive to the whole "legacy" idea. I don't think that credits should ever be involved in the situation.