Dathomir: What Do We Know About It In This Era?

Ylliarus

Something I am highly interested in knowing, is what the current state of Dathomir is in this era of the Old Republic. Of course, from lore we know that the Nightsisters won't appear on the planet for millennia to come. However, one has to note that the Imperial Zabraks look a lot like the Nightbrothers we see on Dathomir in the Clone Wars. That led me to ponder on the question, what is happening on Dathomir during the Cold War and the years thereafter?

On the Wookieepedia page for Dathomir, we can read the following about the state of its inhabitants:

By 36,453 BBY (Year 32,800 before the Treaty of Coruscant), the planet was already inhabited by a few Humans, whose origin is unknown. They were organized in tribal units with shamanistic beliefs. Some of their seers were brought on Tython in a Tho Yor ship and were among the founders of the Je'daii Order.

That signals that the planet should be inhabited by this point in time and that it's also known by the wider galaxy to exist. This seems to be supported by what we read further down the Wookieepedia page:

Dathomir was the site of a battle during the Great Galactic War.

The separate page for the Battle of Dathomir which had taken place during the Great Galactic War, places the starting date of the conflict sometime between 3681 (year 28 before the Treaty of Coruscant) and 3653 BBY (year 0 after the Treaty of Coruscant). Meaning that the exact timing of the battle is unclear and that it occured sometime during the war preceding the Cold War. The Wookieepedia page doesn't mention much about the battle, only that it was a conflict between the Galactic Republic and Sith Empire. Who the victor of the conflict was, is unknown. The Wookieepedia page does have a short behind the scenes section, which states the following:

A battle on Dathomir during the Great Galactic War was first mentioned in the article "The Setting", on The Old Republic website in October 2008. However, any mention of this battle, as well as the battle of Ilum, was removed following an update of the website in June 2011.

So, Dathomir seems to be a planet which has some activity to a degree in the current era of the Old Republic and the time the game takes place in. Yet any references to it have been sparse from what I am seeing. That makes me wonder: are there any references to Dathomir from ingame material or sources that I missed? Please, post them in this thread, as I am very interested in learning more of the state of Dathomir in the current era!

Also, if any of the story devs want to chime in on what they know or envision about Dathomir during the time of SWTOR, don't be shy! :)

TLDR: For those who see the title and assume I am asking for the Nightsisters to be added: no, I am not asking for the Nightsisters to be added into the story along with Dathomir. As I said earlier in the OP, we know they won't appear for millennia to come. I am asking for any references to the planet Dathomir in SWTOR's lore that people have found and what its current state in the lore is.

Edited by Ylliarus

The usual thing that people overlook when asking for Dathomir to be added ("wouldn't it be so coo-oo-oo-oo-ool to have adventures involving the Nightsisters!") is that the Nightsisters as seen in other material don't arise until about 3000 years after the game's setting. Lest anyone with a "so what I wanna play Nightsisters" attitude comes by, yes, I know, there could have been a precursor / forerunner of the Nightsisters in the game's era, but they wouldn't be *those* Nightsisters.

The usual thing that people overlook when asking for Dathomir to be added ("wouldn't it be so coo-oo-oo-oo-ool to have adventures involving the Nightsisters!") is that the Nightsisters as seen in other material don't arise until about 3000 years after the game's setting. Lest anyone with a "so what I wanna play Nightsisters" attitude comes by, yes, I know, there could have been a precursor / forerunner of the Nightsisters in the game's era, but they wouldn't be *those* Nightsisters.

Yeah, it'd be cool to explore Dathomir but we wouldn't have nightsisters. Could still explore some Kwa ruins though.

agreed.

agreed.

Yeah, it'd be cool to explore Dathomir but we wouldn't have nightsisters.

I have a feeling you have completely overlooked this part of my OP:

Of course, from lore we know that the Nightsisters won't appear on the planet for millennia to come.

Also, I get the feeling you haven't read what I am asking about. I am not asking for Dathomir to be added, I am asking what we know about the planet in the current era. I have provided some references to the planet in SWTOR's timeline, but in this thread I am asking if people came across other pieces of lore referencing Dathomir. I would appreciate it if next time, you took the time to truly read what I wrote about, as by your comment and subsequent comments, the topic of the thread has been steered into a completely different direction than was its intent.

Edited by Ylliarus

I have a feeling you have completely overlooked this part of my OP:

Also, I get the feeling you haven't read what I am asking about. I am not asking for Dathomir to be added, I am asking what we know about the planet in the current era. I have provided some references to the planet in SWTOR's timeline, but in this thread I am asking if people came across other pieces of lore referencing Dathomir. I would appreciate it if next time, you took the time to truly read what I wrote about, as by your comment and subsequent comments, the topic of the thread has been steered into a completely different direction than was its intent.

Fair point, although it's clear that lots of people don't know or don't care about the relative timelines.

And given that, I'll bow out here, since I'm not so much of a lore geek that I follow this stuff. I'm not afraid of digging in the on-line lore repositories, but not much more than that. Sorry.

First HI STEVETheCynic! Always love the insight of your comments! :D

And Second I love the OP, I like to *explore* the Dathomir in this timeline... or meet some type of version precursor / forerunner of the Nightsisters in this era or whatever residents are there right now... I think it be interesting! :)

Edited by Zehal

First HI STEVETheCynic! Always love the insight of your comments! :D

And Second I love the OP, I like to *explore* the Dathomir in this timeline... or meet some type of version precursor / forerunner of the Nightsisters in this era or whatever residents are there right now... I think it be interesting! :)

A precursor to the Nightsisters might be a tiny bit of a stretch, as it's at least 3000 years before they are founded as a group. However, from Legends lore we do learn that Dathomir is inhabited by shamanistic tribes at this point. I definitely wouldn't mind exploring those, alongside Rakatan and Kwa ruins :)

However, the OP is not so much about suggesting for Dathomir to be added. In the OP I am primarily asking: what do we know about Dathomir in this era of Star Wars?

Some things I am interested in, for example:

- What was the Battle of Dathomir? Did the Empire or Republic win? What were they hoping to gain by conquering Dathomir?

- Is Dathomir currently under Imperial rule or within Republic borders? Does either faction have a presence on the planet?

- How much of the planet is inhabited? Are the earlier mentioned tribes numerous or only a small amount?

- Are the Imperial Zabrak natives of Dathomir? The game mentions a cultural split between Republic and Imperial Zabrak, is it because the former are from Iridonia and the latter from Dathomir?

Edited by Ylliarus

Ah, my apologies. Well we don't really know a lot about it unfortunately, I think everything we know has already been covered unless I've missed a codex entry or if there is more about it in the Star Wars: The Old Republic encyclopedia. It would definitely be interesting to visit it though, maybe the Empire and Republic could be fighting over Kwa ruins?

Ah, my apologies. Well we don't really know a lot about it unfortunately, I think everything we know has already been covered unless I've missed a codex entry or if there is more about it in the Star Wars: The Old Republic encyclopedia. It would definitely be interesting to visit it though, maybe the Empire and Republic could be fighting over Kwa ruins?

I could definitely see Kwa ruins or artifacts as the reason why the Empire and Republic are interested in acquiring the planet! It could have been the reason behind the Battle of Dathomir, to gain access to Kwa technology like the Infinity Gates.

I did some digging myself and I encountered a post on Reddit saying that K'krohl (the Star Fortress contact/companion from Belsavis) says something about getting new recruits from Dathomir. Did someone encounter this in the dialogue scenes with K'krohl? It's been a while since I did the Star Fortress mission and I can't really recall if it is correct.

I did some digging myself and I encountered a post on Reddit saying that K'krohl (the Star Fortress contact/companion from Belsavis) says something about getting new recruits from Dathomir. Did someone encounter this in the dialogue scenes with K'krohl? It's been a while since I did the Star Fortress mission and I can't really recall if it is correct.

He mentions it in a letter at the end:

He mentions it in a letter at the end:

Huh, interesting! That further confirms that Dathomir is an active planet in this era. It's a pity that there isn't more on what kind of talent or whether the planet is aligned with the Empire, Republic or neither, but it's still nice to see the mention. Thanks!