So who has the worst storyline? break it down

Horatio

I just finished the Sith Inquisitor storyline. I played a Sorceror/Healer. The most boring combat but with the most survivability. As a result, I was able to finish the SI storyline at L48. I have to say, I was very disappoiined

Act 1 was not too bad. A beautiful Sith makes me her apprentice (though why she chooses me rather than anyone else is never revealed) and eventually I find out she's in fact very old and is trying to steal my body. In a mix-up, I kill her and her soul goes into one of my companions. This is in fact an interesting opened with a nice twist. Perhaps because it is of such high quality, the Chapters that follow seem arbitrary and broing.

Act II. For some reason, never properly justified or explained, one powerful Darth now regards me as a mortal enemy. In order to make myelf strong enough to fight him, I have to 'consume' ghosts. So I travel the galaxy, being a Ghostbuster. At the end of the chapter, I fight him, beat him but it turns out I've eaten too many ghosts and may die soon.

Act III. First, I have to travel to new planets to find a cure - which I do pretty easily. And then resume my strange and pointless struggle against the enemy Darth. I find and beat him - again. But he escapes. I then go - immediately - to Korriban , where I fight him again (for the third time). And then kill him. Nothing has changed in the interim, I just get lucky this time around, I guess. This somehow qualifies me to be a Darth and get appointed to the Dark Council (as a reward at the end of this entire quest chain, I got a new pair of trousers).

All in all, I thought this story was weak, haphazard, illogical and not worthy of Bioware.

Which class - that you've played - has a worse story?

And which ahs the best?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well so far I have only played the Bounty Hunter story line and I find that REALLY enjoyable you can tell alot of work and care went into it.

Haven't tried the Sith story line yet but im guessing it will be A LOT more serious then BH story line.

The general consensus I've seen seems to be that the inquisitor/consular have the worst stories for their respective classes. Though a lot of people don't seem to like the Trooper story ( it's not very complex, though not necessarily poorly written ). I've heard a few people claim they started hating the IA story towards the end of it.

I'm sorry you feel that way. :( I just landed on Alderaan with my Inq, and so far I'm loving it!!

Well, he said he liked chapter 1, so it looks like you're in for a rude awakening in a couple levels.

The general consensus I've seen seems to be that the inquisitor/consular have the worst stories for their respective classes. Though a lot of people don't seem to like the Trooper story ( it's not very complex, though not necessarily poorly written ). I've heard a few people claim they started hating the IA story towards the end of it.

I liked trooper, but it is pretty blunt, and you pretty much just take orders the entire thing so I can understand people not liking it. IA I heard is the best in CH2 and goes somewhat downhill from there, so people were probably just too spoiled by the second chapter to enjoy the third

Only really played through the Sith Warrior storyline, and barely touched the others. But I have to say it does a sufficient amount of making you feel awesome. It's themed very well for a Sith as well: personal rise to power, much intrigue, corruption, betrayal, revenge and glory to the Empire.

It just depends on what you like really personally so far for me its the JK i got to lvl 34 and just couldn't bring myself to continue i just found it very Cliché and constantly found my self saying things like "Seriously?" and "Is this a bad joke"

Just now im playing a trooper and apart from a few thing im choosing to ignore im enjoying it apart from the

Fact that the entire republic seems to be full of traitors even after act1 every planet ive been to has atleast 1 traitor in the quests

I played a BH to 15 and was enjoying it (only stopped as friends were playing republic)

but at the end of the day someone will arge the case that the JK story is awsome because they enjoyed it (and at end of day thats all that matters)

I'm on chapter 3 of my SI's story and I'm loving it.

as for all those explanations that you supposedly never got? they are all there. in game. you just have to ask questions and listen, instead of spacing out.

why did Zash chose you? becasue using someone from a good family for her purpose wouldn't not have worked - that whole, possible revenge thing. slave has no family, no one misses a slave, no one cares if slave dies, dissapears or acts oddly. you happened to end up as her apprentice, becasue you were the last person standing. you were the one who performed the best and got her Tulak Hord's information she wanted. as for why you managed to survive where others failed? Kalliq, your ever so friendly ancestral ghost.

why does Thanaton consider you a mortal enemy and threat to be eliminated? aside from the fact that he outright tells you that killing another Darth is punishable by death to your entire retinue if discovered (which - he did), he actually sees you as a very real threat to his power and wants to get rid of you before you get too strong and make too many ties.

why do you need a cure? becasue in order to accumulate enough power to defeat a stronger Sith (its him or you, remember?) you end up overextending yourself. and you must kill him becasue its him or you. only one can survive this struggle. he manages to escape you temporarily but not for long. you chase him down until he has nowhere else to run. you already beat him, he was only trying to delay the inevitable. and as someone strong enough to defeat a member of the council? by the rule of meritocracy, you get his place.

I'm on chapter 3 of my SI's story and I'm loving it.

as for all those explanations that you supposedly never got? they are all there. in game. you just have to ask questions and listen, instead of spacing out.

why did Zash chose you? becasue using someone from a good family for her purpose wouldn't not have worked - that whole, possible revenge thing. slave has no family, no one misses a slave, no one cares if slave dies, dissapears or acts oddly. you happened to end up as her apprentice, becasue you were the last person standing. you were the one who performed the best and got her Tulak Hord's information she wanted. as for why you managed to survive where others failed? Kalliq, your ever so friendly ancestral ghost.

why does Thanaton consider you a mortal enemy and threat to be eliminated? aside from the fact that he outright tells you that killing another Darth is punishable by death to your entire retinue if discovered (which - he did), he actually sees you as a very real threat to his power and wants to get rid of you before you get too strong and make too many ties.

why do you need a cure? becasue in order to accumulate enough power to defeat a stronger Sith (its him or you, remember?) you end up overextending yourself. and you must kill him becasue its him or you. only one can survive this struggle. he manages to escape you temporarily but not for long. you chase him down until he has nowhere else to run. you already beat him, he was only trying to delay the inevitable. and as someone strong enough to defeat a member of the council? by the rule of meritocracy, you get his place.

I'm sorry but your explanation of the SI story is what's called 'post-hoc rationalisation'. You're puting in justifications and reasons that have occurred to you but which were not actually written by Bioware. More to the point, the few elements you mention that are part of the official story, don't make sense:

For example, you seem to think that Thanaton's excuse for hating you - 'Oh, his master killed some Sith' - is a compelling reason to drive the underlying story. This is ridiculous. You kill plenty of other Sith during the course of the story and no-one else gives a damn.

The SI is so far the worst story.

I have played the BH to almost the end (I got to corellia.)

and I found it to be a little dull of a chapter as the main antagonist was reveled in chapter 2 and rarely came in to conflict till the very end. Revenge is a good motivation, which it seems is the running theme of the Bounty Hunter, but the thing about revenge is that it needs to be a constant motivator behind everything and by the time you kill the 2 guys they demand you kill first it gets out of focus.

I am starting my Sith Warrior just recently, so I can't say too much on it, except that I feel cheated that I already got to manipulate 100% more times than I have on my SI.

The Imperial Agent was really fun, so far it is the best.

It does get a little slow in chapter 1 at times, but chapter 2 more than makes up for it. The 3rd chapter hurts more due to pacing and a lack of a cohesive meta plot, and its ending is a little lack luster as it feels more like a "too be continued..." type of ending rather than some dramatic ultimate ending like the SI or SW has.

The SI just feels like it has the worst companions, the worst romance arcs, and the lack of doing anything cool.

Its like in the Bounty Hunter missions: I got to beat up nobles, carbon freeze enemies, and make deals over peoples lives. As the SW I got to manipulate people, kill people which I thought in other storylines were unkillable, and shift my weight around towards "lesser" classes. As an Agent I got to defy Sith Lords, turn on my own people, seduce half of the galaxy.

As a SI:

I got to force shock some people... I don't get to manipulate, I never get to throw my Lord title around, and I get a villain who is really only after me because it is how things work with Sith's. Heck I don't even know my character's motivation except that I apparently want to get rid of the slave system of the empire and possibly become a ship captain.

Why is it that people consider Consular/Inquisitor stories horrible? I have only played up to act 1 on my SI, and my consular is barely L11 but I love them both.

The consular is an exemplar of the order, serene/peaceful. The SI is on a path to infinite power. They both seem interesting so far in. So do tell please (I got no problem with spoilers), what do you find wrong with their stories?

I've seen JK story, and it's nice - but the JK character feels much more emotion driven - his dialogue especially... Less Jedi like, though I don't mind.

Act 1 was not too bad. A beautiful Sith makes me her apprentice (though why she chooses me rather than anyone else is never revealed) and eventually I find out she's in fact very old and is trying to steal my body. In a mix-up, I kill her and her soul goes into one of my companions. This is in fact an interesting opened with a nice twist. Perhaps because it is of such high quality, the Chapters that follow seem arbitrary and broing.

It is mentioned late in DK - the ghost. Basically there were two options, both beneficial to Zash:

1) The ghost would kill you - she didn't expect you to survive but hey, Sith aspirants come on Korriban by the truckloads. And if an aspirant DOES survive, hell that's a body worth possessing!

2) She knew you were a descendent of Kallig and that the ghost wouldn't/couldn't kill you and probably lied that she didn't expect you to come back.

Either way, bear in mind she must've known that Thanaton would murder her like he tried with you if her ritual succeeded she must've thought that you would bind the ghost and thus be unkillable. Yes she does express her shock that Thanaton didn't kill you, but a lot of what she says up to that point is outright lies anyway.

Act II. For some reason, never properly justified or explained, one powerful Darth now regards me as a mortal enemy. In order to make myelf strong enough to fight him, I have to 'consume' ghosts. So I travel the galaxy, being a Ghostbuster. At the end of the chapter, I fight him, beat him but it turns out I've eaten too many ghosts and may die soon.

I mentioned it in another thread:

Thanaton kills you to tie up a loose end. Nothing more, nothing less. He even expresses regret to you consistently that that had to be the case. It's when he CAN'T kill you when **** gets real for him (and thus you). A Darth who can't kill a mere Lord isn't worth his salt and Thanaton's life is forfeit by that point. He knows it, hell Darth Marr even said it in the final cutscene, ergo his singleminded quest to bring you down.

Act III. First, I have to travel to new planets to find a cure - which I do pretty easily. And then resume my strange and pointless struggle against the enemy Darth. I find and beat him - again. But he escapes. I then go - immediately - to Korriban , where I fight him again (for the third time). And then kill him. Nothing has changed in the interim, I just get lucky this time around, I guess. This somehow qualifies me to be a Darth and get appointed to the Dark Council (as a reward at the end of this entire quest chain, I got a new pair of trousers).

That's because you haven't been following Thanaton's side of things:

Thanaton's scared

He has thrown everything, everything into you and has failed:

He tries to get a Sith Ghost to kill you.

He tries outright to kill you.

He sends apprentice after apprentice, lackey after lackey to kill you.

He calls a Kaggath which is apparently a massive deal.

When all that fails he runs to the Dark Council to complain that you're bullying him.

That you "got lucky" and cornered him is because, thus far, he ran the **** away because, unlike most of the villains, he knew he didn't stand a chance against you. The appeal to the Dark Council is the point of no return for him and thus his final stand.

If he ran away from that his life'd have been forfeit with the Dark Council hunting him down after belly laughing.

I think, ultimately, the SI is actually very strong, especially the end which feels more satisfying than the SW's. However getting to the end is extremely irritating with railroaded plots (yes Kallig, I know this was a trap, no I didn't have a choice) and non entity companions.

Edited by Lexandar

I'm sorry but your explanation of the SI story is what's called 'post-hoc rationalisation'. You're puting in justifications and reasons that have occurred to you but which were not actually written by Bioware. More to the point, the few elements you mention that are part of the official story, don't make sense:

Are you suggesting that BW has to spell everything out? No inferences allowed from the player?

The problem BW (and any writer for a video game) is faced with is the choice to tell us a story or provide a framework for us to craft our own story. They went with the latter, as quoted in The Art and Making of the Old Republic.

That's the solution and the problem, as evidenced by some enjoying the heck out of their stories because they get to be the Jedi hero, the Sith monster, etc. versus others (myself included) who are frustrated that the stories don't have as much meat. I'd like a little more WRITER agency, not player agency. Just my opinion.

Are you suggesting that BW has to spell everything out? No inferences allowed from the player?

This. Giving everything a spelled out, idiot proof yet needless explanation is the reason Midichlorians exist:

The Force is bacteria everyone. Go home, pack your DVDs, nothing more to see here.

I simply can not stand the Imperial Agent story. I have heard many arguments for why it's such a great story but I just hated it. I hated the entire "I'm Bond, James Bond" feel of the thing. To me, it's little more than one spy adventure after another, from the very start, even. Gag-worthy. And before you ask, yes, I hate James Bond movies, too.

Just bugs me, for instance, every time any IA says, "Remember my name, give me credit for what happened here!" I groaned the last time I was grouped with my husband during a run through of Black Talon and had an IA in the group who did that. I said to hubby, "No spy worth his salt would EVER say anything like that."

Perhaps if the story hadn't followed such a cliched hollywood-version of a spy's work -- I don't know. As it is, the IA is the only class who doesn't have a character sitting on my load screen, lol.

Why is it that people consider Consular/Inquisitor stories horrible? I have only played up to act 1 on my SI, and my consular is barely L11 but I love them both.

The consular is an exemplar of the order, serene/peaceful. The SI is on a path to infinite power. They both seem interesting so far in. So do tell please (I got no problem with spoilers), what do you find wrong with their stories?

I've seen JK story, and it's nice - but the JK character feels much more emotion driven - his dialogue especially... Less Jedi like, though I don't mind.

I think most people have a problem with the Inquisitor more than the Consular because, well, let's be serious.

The Inquisitor class is essentially based off of Sidious, he's the best example we have of a Sith Sorcerer that all can draw from and the dude is a master at manipulation, deception, etc. He's very powerful, he's able to corrupt Jedi, so on and so forth.

The Inquisitor storyline, from the little I've done, has me feeling like Indiana Jones with a lightsaber. Then later on I find out I'm a Ghostbuster with a lightsaber. No matter how awesome it'd be to picture Bill Murray as a Sith/Jedi, I can't reconcile the two ideas.

To give examples from my warrior:

I end up corrupting a Jedi Master in single combat through a series of taunts and threats. He fully falls to the Dark side, then the icing on the cake? I corrupt his Apprentice and have her slay her former Master. That's two corruptions in one sitting.

My warrior has gone back on enough promises to fill a graveyard.

The storyline is filled with multiple overarching themes: the personal rise to power, the intrigue of Sith politics, corruption and betrayal, etc.

To top it off the storyline feels steady compared to the Inquisitor. Playing through the Warrior storyline is like reading a story with a set plot. From what I've read of the Inquisitor, it's like playing through a series of short stories that only remain consistent in the main character.

Saw Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent to completion.

They are both quite good, even though Bounty Hunter feel a bit repetitive after a while.

Imperial Agent was pure awesomeness.

Currently doing Sith Inquisitor, I am up to Belsavis, Act 3, and it is by far the worst story so far.

Illogic, no real epicness, you feel weak and dumb all along, the goals are uninteresting, it is full of "defeat by cutscenes"

It was ok up till the end of Act 1, but Act 2 was horribly boring and disapointing.

Saw Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent to completion.

They are both quite good, even though Bounty Hunter feel a bit repetitive after a while.

I felt the same about the Bounty Hunter's story. Honestly, Act 1 was the end of the BH storyline as far as I'm concerned. Everything that has happened in Act 2 and 3 just seemed like a repeat of Act 1, but with different targets. I'm almost done with Corellia, but I just can't be bothered to go back and finish it.

I've also recently finished Act 1 for Sith Warriors. I have enjoyed it so far, however, it's starting to feel repetitive. It seems like, from the responses to this thread, the storylines for all the classes are front loaded, with the prequel and Act 1 being the most enjoyable.

I think most people have a problem with the Inquisitor more than the Consular because, well, let's be serious.

A couple of people in this thread have mentioned other people "saying" that the consular story is "the worst" but I have never actually heard anyone say that they disliked the consular story. I know they exist but it's hard for me to believe that the consular story is "bad" when no one makes it a point to say it.

A couple of people in this thread have mentioned other people "saying" that the consular story is "the worst" but I have never actually heard anyone say that they disliked the consular story. I know they exist but it's hard for me to believe that the consular story is "bad" when no one makes it a point to say it.

I've seen it said a few times... much less than the Inquisitor, however.

I dont know about "the worst", but the Consular story is so bad.

I can't deal with such comments. Why the hell is it bad? "Would you kindly" tell me(and the rest of the boards ofc) why?

The Inquisitor class is essentially based off of Sidious, he's the best example we have of a Sith Sorcerer that all can draw from and the dude is a master at manipulation, deception, etc. He's very powerful, he's able to corrupt Jedi, so on and so forth.

The Inquisitor storyline, from the little I've done, has me feeling like Indiana Jones with a lightsaber. Then later on I find out I'm a Ghostbuster with a lightsaber. No matter how awesome it'd be to picture Bill Murray as a Sith/Jedi, I can't reconcile the two ideas.

From what I've read of the Inquisitor, it's like playing through a series of short stories that only remain consistent in the main character.

I get this although so far, I really like one thing, I was just thinking about this the other day. You see, in the movies - we never see Sidious being weak. In the movies - he's at full power, he's made. He's terribly strong by the time we get to know his character. I liken the SI to Sidious when he was younger. Obviously power didn't just come to him - he sought artifacts, trained, and studied sith sorcery, lore and what have you.

That's your Sith Inquisitor. Thus when he becomes Darth, now he can be Palpantine.

Edited by ByronixHero

Many people complain that the Sith Inquisitor was said to be like Sidious but isn't. The issue is that the storylines are unfinished. They plan to have expansions and increase the story. We all know this. Let's look at the facts here. While the Warrior is second to the Emperor he doesn't have a large power base. The inquisitor has been building up power. Not just personal power but political power as well. You can even gain your own cult which is more than what the Warrior has. If the warrior is betrayed he's left with nothing whereas the Inquisitor has the right tools to truly become powerful.

Not to mention the Inquisitor has been introduced to have a rare gift and ability. The warrior is simply a power house. I think the Inquisitor might be starting off slower than the warrior but.. I do think their will be great things down the line for it.