[BUG]Darth Malak's Mouth Cover gives no muffled voice.

Magnusheart

No Robot voice from Malak's mouth cover /sadjawa

Darth Nihilius's doesn't give a muffled mouth sound effect either when talking...

t.t.t.t.t.t

Update.

This is exactly right! To be sure, I queried our developers to see if the mask was supposed to have modulation, and they confirmed that it was not designed to modify the voice.

However. This is still a thick hunk of metal over our mouth, and it should change out voice in some way.

Edited by Magnusheart

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Robot voice from Malak's mouth cover /sadjawa

Darth Nihilius's doesn't give a muffled mouth sound effect either when talking...

t.t.t.t.t.t

Probably because

, while players in swtor all have jaws and don't use voiceboxes... It's just a piece of metal on their mouths. Edited by Aelther

• Dev Post
Probably because
, while players in swtor all have jaws and don't use voiceboxes... It's just a piece of metal on their mouths.

This is exactly right! To be sure, I queried our developers to see if the mask was supposed to have modulation, and they confirmed that it was not designed to modify the voice.

What I dislike about this is that you seem to suggest that it would have ever been a possibility for the Development team. They can scarcely draw out content, and you're checking up with them to see if they modified every piece of existing voice acting script for the sake of a single cosmetic piece.

I hope that trip was part of your coffee run or toilet break, or something.

What I dislike about this is that you seem to suggest that it would have ever been a possibility for the Development team. They can scarcely draw out content, and you're checking up with them to see if they modified every piece of existing voice acting script for the sake of a single cosmetic piece.

It could be accomplished through SFX filters, might be something for the future. I remember when the game was first released people thought the masks was changing their voice.

Wow, rude much?

When they don't reply to our question we whine. When they do reply, we whine again.

Seriously, just don't come here if you don't like the forum.

Wow, rude much?

When they don't reply to our question we whine. When they do reply, we whine again.

Seriously, just don't come here if you don't like the forum.

It's about having honest and straight forward communication, something that EA is seldom capable of. It's about giving the community realistic expectations of the game's current development potential and future. It's about not misleading the community to promote the idea of unyielding success, health and growth.

...Don't most masks alter your voice already? Or am I missing something about what you said?

I don't know about "most" but some do seem to have varying degrees of effect on them. Mainly the ones that cover the mouth and nose, either partial face or full on covers the head.

Edited by Hyfy

Characters should not be able to talk at all because that jaw casing is actually a tight cover/shield for the jaw area ;]

can we get it to modify the voice ;)

It's about having honest and straight forward communication, something that EA is seldom capable of. It's about giving the community realistic expectations of the game's current development potential and future. It's about not misleading the community to promote the idea of unyielding success, health and growth.

So your suggestion is that because EA is almost never capable of honest and straightforward communication, when they communicate and are being honest and straightforward we should insult them? :confused:

Edited by TheNahash

Characters should not be able to talk at all because that jaw casing is actually a tight cover/shield for the jaw area ;]

It's disturbing how often I find myself agreeing with your posts.

But yeah. Considering the fact normal speech would be hard to hear at all, wouldn't it make sense that the mask provided some sort of mechanical aid? Guess that wouldn't neccessarily change the voice though, cool as that is. Thanks for the input Amber.

So your suggestion is that because EA is almost never capable of honest and straightforward communication, when they communicate and are being honest and straightforward we should insult them? :confused:

What? How have you missed what is my only point? That reply lacked any trace of honesty or straight forwardness. It was simply "Oh we could've done that, but we chose not to because you haven't actually lost your voice boxes. So we did it for immersion, not because we lack the development resource".

Whereas it should have gone along the lines of "We're not in a position to modify the entire game's voice content for the sake of one IRL cash sold cosmetic items, but hopefully one day in the future it is something we can consider"

Edited by TheGreatFrosty

I don't get the point of whole jaw thing ... just because Malak used it because he had no jaw at all. So how can players wear it? They cut off their jaw willingly just to wear that thing? It's all wrong ... somobody wasn't thinking while designing it and puting it into the game.

The funniest thing about this snarky reply is that it most likely took Amber less time to shoot off an email to the development team to get a response than it took for you to formulate this rant

What? How have you missed what is my only point? That reply lacked any trace of honesty or straight forwardness. It was simply "Oh we could've done that, but we chose not to because you haven't actually lost your voice boxes. So we did it for immersion, not because we lack the development resource".

Whereas it should have gone along the lines of "We're not in a position to modify the entire game's voice content for the sake of one IRL cash sold cosmetic items, but hopefully one day in the future it is something we can consider"

Seriously?

Are we reading the same reply?

The one that says she asked the developers and they confirmed that it was not designed to modify the voice?

The one to which you replied by bashing her for even asking?

It's one thing to want an honest answer and to not be satisfied by it when you get it, but to somehow make it about the developers not being able to do it (especially since there are already a lot of headpieces that modify your voice, therefore the code is there for them to use it should they choose to) is just...well... I'd tell you but you probably won't consider it honest or straightforward because it's not what you want to hear.

Edited by TheNahash

Do you seriously think they re-recorded all the VO's to have a helmet and no helmet version?

It's a SFX added whether or not you are wearing a helmet. My trooper didn't sound like he had a helmet on in any conversation where he wasn't wearing one. But when I did get one for him to wear his voice had the SFX for ti.

Dude, you obviously have some sort of agenda here because your "point" has nothing to do with the dev post made. The thread is entitled "BUG" as if it is a bug that voice modulation is not present for Malak's headpiece. The dev responded that no, it is not a bug, as the headpiece was not intended to alter the voice....and she checked with people responsible for designing the particular piece of gear to make sure before she provided that answer. What on Earth more do you expect out of these people? Not sure how you turned that into some diatribe bashing the development team and EA (by the way, the development team here is Bioware...not EA) but your comments here are out of line.

That's true, however the player's lower face is completely encased in metal. While the vocabulator is implanted directly in Malak's throat giving him that unique sound, there should still be some sort of speaker setup on the outside of the prosthetic. There should be SOME modulation, even if it is not identical to Malak's.

I don't get the point of whole jaw thing ... just because Malak used it because he had no jaw at all. So how can players wear it? They cut off their jaw willingly just to wear that thing? It's all wrong ... somobody wasn't thinking while designing it and puting it into the game.

What about this image suggests that it couldn't be worn while still having a jaw? Just because Malak had one for his missing jaw doesn't mean it couldn't be made to fit a normal person's.

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/cb/2013_thumbs/shipment_2/malak_fem_854x480.jpg

Dude, you obviously have some sort of agenda here because your "point" has nothing to do with the dev post made. The thread is entitled "BUG" as if it is a bug that voice modulation is not present for Malak's headpiece. The dev responded that no, it is not a bug, as the headpiece was not intended to alter the voice....and she checked with people responsible for designing the particular piece of gear to make sure before she provided that answer. What on Earth more do you expect out of these people? Not sure how you turned that into some diatribe bashing the development team and EA (by the way, the development team here is Bioware...not EA) but your comments here are out of line.

The comments here stipulate the difference between the helmet and non-helmet versions of the voice. What the OP was suggesting, and what the Dev went hand-in-hand to suggest, was the possibility of their being a unique sound for the mask, akin to the sound created in the original KOTOR storyline of Darth Malak.

If I'm wrong in my reading of that, then of course my point is null. But having just reread it, that is exactly how it comes across to me.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Malak's Jaw is basically just a reskinned version of the Guerilla helm from the cartel market, the difference in skin is that the portion that goes over the head has been removed. (try previewing both helms back-to-back in the preview window: no change except for that bit that covers the head)

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/swtor-cartel-market-cz-13k-guerrilla-armor-set-full-female_thumb.jpg

I don't think the Guerrila armor affected the player's voice, so it makes sense that the reskinned Malak jaw wouldn't either.

Edited by Jaing

The comments here stipulate the difference between the helmet and non-helmet versions of the voice. What the OP was suggesting, and what the Dev went hand-in-hand to suggest, was the possibility of their being a unique sound for the mask, akin to the sound created in the original KOTOR storyline of Darth Malak.

If I'm wrong in my reading of that, then of course my point is null. But having just reread it, that is exactly how it comes across to me.

and if you look at it lore-wise, there shouldn't be a different voice, because as Aelther pointed out Darth Malak had no jaw and used a voicebox.

All players have jaws, therefore there is no need for a voicebox.

This is not one of the breather headpieces that, naturally, change the voice of the character and it's not even a "full" headgear that would make the character sound more like a robot (like the endgame headpieces for Warriors).

Theoretically, the mouth is not covered because...you know...you have one, so there is no need for a different voice. If Malak's headpiece is supposed to cover the character's mouth, then they would have to remove the character's voice altogether.

And I think the OP wasn't asking for a specific voice, he was just pointing out that there is no robotic voice effect (similar to, but not specifically, Malak's). After all, it wouldn't make sense: we are not Malak and even if there was a vociebox it would still change our voice to something else but again, not specifically Malak's

PS: And Amber never went hand-in-hand to suggest anything about a unique voice. She simply quoted Aelther and confirmed that it was not the devs' intention for this headpiece to have a different (not unique, but modulated) voice, therefore it's not a bug.

Edited by TheNahash