49 to 50 transition

Flysparks

The op sounds like a solo'er to me.

ProTip: MMO's are designed and intended to be played with friends. Get some!

Can't complete your Ilum daily because you can't kill any level 50's? Group up WITH SOME FRIENDS and get credit for the dailies for every one in your group when you kill someone.

Struggling to get medals or win warzones? Group up WITH SOME FRIENDS and form a premade and learn some group tactics and see how much easier life becomes.

Don't have any friends? Lack the social skills to compete in the friend game? Cancel your account and slit your wrists but please don't forget to send me all your stuff first.

yep, do what the Imps do.

The first words out of most Imp player's mouths when they get on Ilum is usually one of the following ...

1. Any OPS running?

2. Any Repub action?

3. Invite plz

With the OP, it almost sounds like a lack of any real coordination on the Repubs side.

11 to 49 its about skill , 50 its about gear , simple

11 to 49 is about skill when you're playing against lower levels who don't have all of their skills yet? I hate to burst your bubble, but the difference in power you have at 40+ playing against a guy who is 11-40 can be just as great as the difference in gear created by expertise.

It's essentially the same thing. To whine about one and not the other is illogical.

To the OP, you think you have it bad?

Try playing as a new level 50 healer and then look at your performance in the mirror.

Healers get crap for medals and crap for MVP votes.

Yet they come back to play again and again.

They also tend to be the main targets of the other team players and I have played many warzones where I spent more time stunned or simply dead because I got marked as a healer early in the round and the opposing team have dedicated two players to keep me off the field.

Add in the nature of PUGS where your team mates are completely oblivious to you even keeping them alive and you end up dead again and again because your team mates simply don't understand basic tactics or more simply just don't care because they simply want to max out their damage numbers and actual winning is secondary.

Fast foward two weeks and that same newbie 50 healer (who couldn't get a 100k in healing / match if his life depended on it) is now a champion geared level 50 healer averaging over 200k healing a match while still dealing with idiot team mates.

And the kicker of it all ....

You may have over 200k healing but you still are the bottom of the medal list. Even when 2/3 of your team didn't even get 100k in damage.

11 to 49 is about skill when you're playing against lower levels who don't have all of their skills yet? I hate to burst your bubble, but the difference in power you have at 40+ playing against a guy who is 11-40 can be just as great as the difference in gear created by expertise.

It's essentially the same thing. To whine about one and not the other is illogical.

not true, even a 40-49 braket would be balanced. Now go back to cheating and exploiting WZs with you punk *** guild.

Edited by trentman

Terrible. I suppose, maybe this has been addressed by the change in epic bag contents but I can't say for sure, as I opened all my bags the day before the patch. I'd just like to point out the inherent flaw in the system:

You need 3 wins/9 wins for your daily/weekly.

You need to be capable of killing other players for your ilum daily/weekly.

Upon reaching 50, it's impossible to kill another 50 in a 1 on 1 fight. This, in conjuction with our server being heavy imperial (anywhere from a 3:1 to 5:1 ratio, as far as I can tell), completely undermines any real ability to complete my Ilum quests for gear. Allow me to thwart any of the standard "baddies are bad" attacks by saying, a 30-45% HP bonus is not (in any game I've ever played) negligible, not to mention the tremendous discrepancy in other crucial stats.

Concerning Warzones, I've gone from getting 8+ medals to <4. There have been several warzones in which I've been unable to even score a killing blow, as my attacks practically ricochet off a fully geared 50. Any game I'm in may as well be 7 vs. 8 as, almost every game, I'm outdamaged by healers.

My main problem here is that, obviously, this situation is not fun at all. This nullifies the entire purpose of the ****GAME***. Also, this is entirely out of focus with the practice of 10-49 warzones which mandate a decently level playing field.

Now, I'm never a fan of proposing problems without also proposing solutions.

1- Increase commendations per bag--- CHECK. Good job!

2- Perhaps make the daily quest only require 2 victories? But what might be a better idea is this: FIX THE BUG WHERE SOME VICTORIES DON'T COUNT TOWARD YOUR DAILY QUESTS. The bug used to be an inconvenience; at 50, it's absolutely enraging.

3- come up with some programming to better match teams, putting a low geared 50 on a team with 7 high geared 50s.

Concerning Ilum-

1- Make a daily/weekly that rewards you for destroying vehicles.

2- Implement a stat-equalizing function similar to what's in 10-49 for the open pvp zone.

3- Implement NPCs for whichever faction is outnumbered which not only aid them in battle, but also count for the daily/weekly kill quests for the opposing faction.

I'm just spitballing here. The game is about fun, after all.

All they need to do for people who don't have a lot of time and just want fun is this:

just make a naked warzone. No armor, no expertise. Just 50's vs 50's. make a daily and weekly along with that. Maybe more wins or something. I would do it.

The op sounds like a solo'er to me.

ProTip: MMO's are designed and intended to be played with friends. Get some!

Can't complete your Ilum daily because you can't kill any level 50's? Group up WITH SOME FRIENDS and get credit for the dailies for every one in your group when you kill someone.

Struggling to get medals or win warzones? Group up WITH SOME FRIENDS and form a premade and learn some group tactics and see how much easier life becomes.

Don't have any friends? Lack the social skills to compete in the friend game? Cancel your account and slit your wrists but please don't forget to send me all your stuff first.

Beautiful inference. I am a soloer, to the extreme. But I've joined the ops in Ilum. The problem there, as I stated in the OP, our server is about 3:1 or 5:1 empire:republic

On Illum you do not have to kill 30 players - only "tag" them before they die - heck I mostly just use my frag nade, I rarely actually make any impact as mostly it is AoE all over the place - Imps love kills so they will find you so then all you need is a small group of reps to get your daily done - sure you may die often and need to re-group more but you can still get it done fairly easy - more Imps = more potential for kills that count

And if I was able to get my 3 wins a day you should as well (I pug all the time)- It is not that bad, focus on objectives and see your wins increase.

The new bag change is going to help TONS for new 50s as you can get a full set of Centurion gear easy - It bridges the gap as it should have in the first place - I am happy for new 50s with this change as you will only get dominated the first week if that.

Edited by Torn

The OP does not whine, it states a problem and potential solutions. It is not a plea to make the game easier, it is a plea to not put fresh 50s in a nascar race driving a Ford Pinto. The problem is not that I'm not good, it's that my skill has literally NO POTENTIAL to shine, a direct result of the disgusting stack of numbers against me. It is a game of mathematics, at its root. I have 1 piece of centurion gear, btw.

It is whine pure and simple. The responses dont lie. I just hit 50 and like I said it hasn't been a cakewalk but im learning more and getting better wit each wz /ilum grouping. Its really not as difficult as you or the other qqers make it out to be

Beautiful inference. I am a soloer, to the extreme. But I've joined the ops in Ilum. The problem there, as I stated in the OP, our server is about 3:1 or 5:1 empire:republic

Well as a solo'er I hope you realize and respect the difficult situation you've put yourself in. While I respect the desire of the solo'ers to be able to play the game successfully on their own, that type of approach to the game is counter intuitive to the design and intent of MMO's.

Game devs have to walk a fine line between honoring the traditions of the genre and servicing playstyles that don't fit into the typical design of these games. I don't want to brush your concerns aside and tell you to get some friends, but past a certain point the argument is going to end up exactly there because you're trying to use a Toyota Camry to haul 1500lbs worth of bricks when you should be using a pickup truck.

You totally clueless.Expertise wasnt implemented as reward for pvp grind,it was implemented so freshly dinged 50`s and ppl who play for pvp only wont be stomped by ppl in high tier raid gear.Remove expertise and you will be rolled all day long by raiders in rakata.

This. The reason expertise is in the game is so that people interested in PVP don't feel compelled to grind out PVE material for their gear and vice versa.

SWTOR's PVP-gear system was flawed at release, however, by making Tier 1 gear ridiculously difficult to acquire, and the inclusion of a frustrating RNG based system for Tier 2. They largely fixed these issues with the 1.1.2 release. A fresh 50 who does a single PVP daily every other day will be fully kitted out in PvP gear in roughly a month, at which point their expertise gap with someone in full T3 is pretty small.

A lot of PVPers whine about gear in MMOs, but frankly, every successful MMO has included a gear grind of some sort. Too many max level players are achiever-type gamers who simply lose interest in paying a monthly subscription fee if there is no avenue available to make their main character more powerful. The gear-grind satisfies that need.

If you want a PVP experience where level and gear don't actually matter, hit up an FPS game - there are plenty. You simply will not find that experience in a subscription based MMO, at least not for very long.

Well as a solo'er I hope you realize and respect the difficult situation you've put yourself in. While I respect the desire of the solo'ers to be able to play the game successfully on their own, that type of approach to the game is counter intuitive to the design and intent of MMO's.

Game devs have to walk a fine line between honoring the traditions of the genre and servicing playstyles that don't fit into the typical design of these games. I don't want to brush your concerns aside and tell you to get some friends, but past a certain point the argument is going to end up exactly there because you're trying to use a Toyota Camry to haul 1500lbs worth of bricks when you should be using a pickup truck.

Dude, thank you for interesting discourse. I abandon this post more satisfied because of your contributions. Still, I know I raised some solutions concerning Ilum that are at least worth looking into. Cheers.

It's not hard to figure out that going from L49 in a 10-49 bracket to an undergeared 50 is going to cause some pain.

The solution in SWTOT is like in most MMOs: gear up. Think you can't gear up without PVP daily's? Wrong. Daily tokens for hilt/barrels/armoring/enhancements, or a trip to the GTN if you have the cash will dramatically increase your pvp survival/damage.

Basically, if you don't have a purple in a slot, you need to prep a bit more. The guide a couple pages back is good.

Also Ilum daily+weekly before WZ. You can probably get 4 more bags running with the zerg, for a total of 10 bags (assuming you saved up for 1000/1000). I think that comes to 1 champ weapon, an offhand, and a piece of armor or two depending on luck.

I dunno man. Maybe you're a sorcerer so your damage isn't mitigated by armor? I lost literally half my damage, going from 150k+ to <75k; >3k backstabs to <2.5k

Sin here as well. Highest non-buffed maul has been in the 3k range. Did do the dailies to get the best hilt I could. Same with armoring.