Empire quests far more intriguing?

ZakMorgan

This is something I've heard dozens of times but I never actually appreciated it till I rolled an Empire alt.

Now usually I tend to play the cliched 'goodie goodie' types in RPGs so naturally I was always going to affiliate myself with the Republic. As far as questing went it was OK, a couple of quest storylines were pretty well done but nothing groundbreaking as far as I recall.

I then roll an IA and suddenly realise there's a world of difference. Not only did the IA story eclipse all the republic class stories put together, but even the general Empire quests had me glued to the screen, eagerly awaiting what happens next. I now find myself playing mainly on the Empire side solely for the story and atmosphere, despite the faction not fitting my character personality whatsoever. I then go back and play my republic characters and find it difficult to keep myself interested with their cliched do-gooder rhetoric, as if I'd been spoiled by the epicness of the Empire.

Anyone else feel the same way? I mean do you think BioWare had actually been more creative when it came to writing for the Empire side of things, or do you think its the nature of the Empire itself which makes it more intriguing for players?

I guess it's because you can be on the side of the Empire and still be someone good. I play an Imperial agent and yes, you do bad things for the Empire (you kill rebel slaves, etc) buuuut you can still think it's for a greater purpose: for order and security, while rebels are terrorists, etc.

You can be a very bad guy and full dark side sith, but you can also be a loyal Imperial agent who think he's doing his job for a good reason.

It depends on how you play, really. It's interesting to have a character working for a villain like a Sith but still struggling to make good actions. And a lot of Imperials don't like the cruel ways of the Sith, so all of them are not bad people.

Edited by Evolvana

I guess it's because you can be on the side of the Empire and still be someone good. I play an Imperial agent and yes, you do bad things for the Empire (you kill rebel slaves, etc) buuuut you can still think it's for a greater purpose: for order and security, while rebels are terrorists, etc.

You can be a very bad guy and full dark side sith, but you can also be a loyal Imperial agent who think he's doing his job for a good reason.

It depends on how you play, really. It's interesting to have a character working for a villain like a Sith but still struggling to make good actions. And a lot of Imperials don't like the cruel ways of the Sith, so all of them are not bad people.

I think thats whats more or less endeared me towards the Empire and more specifically the IA class. I always preventing the the death of innocents and refrained from executing people who didn't really deserve it. I mean in Balamorra for example (minor spoilers)

I was actually a tad bit sympathetic towards the resistance and found it very hard to do the job I was doing in double-crossing them.

.its fantastic that game could give you such mixed emotions.

Whereas on the Republic side you were more or less expected to be a good, merciful guy and even when you went Dark side it just made you look like an irrational jerk instead of someone doing all thats necessary to achieve a utopian goal.

Edited by ZakMorgan

Yes, maybe the Empire is more interesting because you're allowed to be good or bad if you want, and no one will despise you for that. If you're bad you'll have some Sith or corrupt imperials to congratulate you, and if you're acting good you'll have loyal and honest Imperials who'll be happy with that. You're free!

While in the Republic, if you're acting bad, no one will like you :p