EMP Missile Change Not Changed

OscarDivine

I can survive an extra few seconds now, thanks BW! :D

On a more serious note, yes, I noticed this as well when I used them against players last night. At first I thought I read the patch notes wrong, went and looked at them again, and realized it obviously hadn't been fixed like they thought. I will admit I did a "happy dance" as I knew I could now possibly survive, but then sighed exasperatedly when I realized so would those I used it against. :rolleyes:

That's disappointing, hopefully that can get fixed.

What are you guys using on your T2F in TDM? I've tried every combination and EMP + Proton still seems to be the strongest, even with the nerf. Alternatively I think ion missile + concussion missile is a solid option because the slowdown controls really help you land more HLC shots.

I think the T3F really needs stronger EMP for it to have a role other than flying around in circles and holding a node.

Edited by RickDagles

That's disappointing, hopefully that can get fixed.

What are you guys using on your T2F in TDM? I've tried every combination and EMP + Proton still seems to be the strongest, even with the nerf. I think the 5.5 EMP actually made this combo a bit too OP. But IMO the T3F really needs strong EMP for it to have a role other than flying around in circles and holding a node.

It really depends on whether you fly solo or team. On a team the EMP is definitely stronger especially if you're calling launches out on voice. For solo PUG games where other people aren't taking advantage of the EMP lockouts I find Concussion to be significantly superior.

I'll qualify that with the additional comment that if there's nesting going on that I want to disrupt I'll usually switch to the T1 scout or the T3 strike, one of which will almost certainly be on my bar, so I don't loose out in terms of EMP if I take it off of the T2F.

I've used concussion + proton a lot too. The advantage of concussion is that the slowdown effect can help you land the followup proton before the enemy can get to LoS. However, if his engine maneuver comes off cooldown in those 2.1+ seconds, then he can escape your proton. An enemy that is hit first with EMP will not be able to stop the proton unless he can fly to LoS within 2.1+ seconds. Since he is flying at full speed (i.e. no slowdown) then his chances of getting to LoS are higher. I think it's a very situational thing but they both work really well. Ion missile actually works well here too (stronger slowdown than conc). I don't think it's worth losing the extra bit of hull damage you get from conc or emp though.

HLC + Cluster + Conc + Bypass is really strong too. However you take a huge penalty from taking bypass on imp side. And losing hydrospanner hurts a lot.

I'm really enjoying how many viable builds this ship has

Edited by RickDagles

I think the T3F really needs stronger EMP for it to have a role other than flying around in circles and holding a node.

I agree totally.

The diminished EMPm has largely ruined T3F as a solo-queue ship for me. While the 'full-damage AoE' iteration was clearly too strong when used by multiple players who knew what they were doing, in a solo-queue 'you vs. the world' scenario it made the T3F a fun DOM ship that offered a very different playstyle that I enjoyed... and that had nothing to do with the lockouts and everything to do with the AoE punishing barnacles on nodes. I'm glad I got to enjoy it for that brief, shining moment.

If EMPm gets successfully fixed back to doing full damage to the primary target, it will help... but the T3F will still lack offensive punch so I probably won't fly it a lot. It'd be a great team support role-player in DOM for those who are less focused on burning the skies into ashen cinders.

T2F with EMPm will be a viable choice for both game modes once the damage is restored. EMPm/PT is a great combo, and each weapon is worthwhile on its own as well. Conc/PT is a nice combo, and even Cluster/Conc isn't awful, but given that we only get one T2F on our bar, I'll probably stick with EMPm/PT for versatility in either game mode.

It's... disappointing that the single announced fix for that patch was in fact not fixed at all.

- Despon

I 100% agree with the need for EMPm fix to help out the T3F build.

While T2F still could use the additional damage, the current "standard" Protorp/EMPm Alternating build isn't bad, but there are a LOT of missed opportunities with it now. Even with these shortcomings, it is still a powerful and effective build (with which I actually did achieve that 39 point TDM match yesterday).

It STILL needs that extra damage, however, to round out the missile itself and builds also with the T3S which could benefit greatly from a meaningfully damaging EMPm.

The diminished EMPm has largely ruined T3F as a solo-queue ship for me. While the 'full-damage AoE' iteration was clearly too strong when used by multiple players who knew what they were doing, in a solo-queue 'you vs. the world' scenario it made the T3F a fun DOM ship that offered a very different playstyle that I enjoyed... and that had nothing to do with the lockouts and everything to do with the AoE punishing barnacles on nodes. I'm glad I got to enjoy it for that brief, shining moment.

Yea I agree that was an interesting new playstyle. I think the problem is that if you make EMP this strong, you make T3F balanced, but the T2F becomes OP. And bombers and scouts become underpowered.

I think you may have mentioned it before, but it would be interesting to have no system/engine/shield lockouts on the missile but it retains the damage AoE. Perhaps ion missile could have that role? But it would make more sense for that to be shield AoE rather than hull AoE.