Hardmode "manners"

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually don't remember that becuase i never did that oh and btw i didnt come at launch but 2 months later.

If you've been around since v1.1, then you know what it used to be like to gear up.

There was no group finder, there was no Campaign / Black Hole gear. The only way to get Columi or better was to do HM FPs and Ops. Didn't you do HM FPs in Tionese (or even worse)?

Keeping on topic here...

There are comments going around about the quality of gear doesn't matter.

I have to strongly agree here because people get used to having more than they need.. So of course they have room to work with. It's their fault if its a big deal to repair it because they buy expensive gear, and lose money from having to repair said expensive gear.

If you have equips that give you more health and stats you need, there is no challenge.

So of course flashpoints are easy for you. But it's more fun with a challenge, and that rush you get when you realize someone is almost dead fighting a boss and you need to spam heal them. I like getting close calls like that.

So when these people aquire stronger mods, of course that becomes their definition of decent or normal. So when a person shows up with tionese mods, of course they will get ripped for what they have.

It's a type of bragging the player does to say they have more money and can get better things... That's not what the game is about.

You are absolutely right on some of this. There is no challenge in the HM FPs for people who are very well geared. Which is exactly why they want to run through them quickly. They aren't doing it for the challenge anymore. They are doing it for the 5 BH comms. Their challenge comes from doing the HM and NiM Ops like EC and TFB. Where, even in the gear they have, there is still quite a bit of challenge.

And you're right, it is their choice to buy that gear. But make no mistake, they have likely put in time to earn that gear, so that they can take on the greater challenges. So, it is quite frustrating to have to pay for repairs on that gear because someone caused a wipe on an easy, mindless HM FP. If an undergeared and inexperienced person does not ask for help and causes a wipe, then it is NOT the fault of the overgeared person, simply because they "chose" to be overgeared and should expect the costs associated with that. Especially when nothing was said and the expectation was that the person knew the FP and how to handle it.

And before I am accused of being elitist, please note that I've yet to set foot in TFB, and have done no HM Ops outside of KP and EV. I am in a very social guild and we have a ton of fun. But I do have several 50s. I enjoy playing my alts, as well. So, once I reach 50, I want to gradually gear up those 50s so as not to neglect them, but I want to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

So, yes, I like to go through the HM FPs as quickly as possible. The only gear I would possibly need (even on a fresh 50) would be the Columi piece dropped from the end boss and the BH comms from the daily quest. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game. It means that I'm trying to get through the HM FP grind quickly so that I can go back to doing other things on my other toons that I do enjoy.

Generally, I try to be as friendly and upfront with my groups as possible. And I agree, there is no reason for anyone to be rude. But just because someone in the group is being rude, doesn't mean you should hold up everything, thereby annoying and punishing the other two people in the group, just to prove a point or to troll the rude person.

As for the person who mentioned wanting to watch movies over and over, I get it. I do the same thing. But you know what I don't do? Watch the same move over and over when I have other people waiting on me to go do something. I watch the movie on my own time. Or I ask the people if they'd like to watch it again with me. If they do, cool, we watch the movie. If not, also cool, I've seen it before and I can easily go back and see it again at my leisure.

This is a social game. That's the whole point of it. As such, we should all be mindful of that and be considerate players. If you're holding up a group, pick up the pace or drop from the group. If you're running way ahead of everyone else and keep having to wait for everyone else to catch up, maybe take a second and realize they are slower and trying to enjoy the FP. It works both ways. But neither rudeness, nor retaliation for that rudeness (no matter how good it might feel) should be tolerated in any form.

I find it odd that the OP included the term Manners in the title, but yet demonstrates anything but. Yes, there are some over geared elitist that care nothing about the game expect what it is in it for them. However, from what I have seen there are even more that will help new players both in terms of telling strategy and killing bosses if requested. Manners works both ways, it is just a rude to put people through misery because the group decide to do the instances in a different manner than the one that only you wanted.

HMFP are a social part of the game, so everyone in the group should be considered important. So if someone is rude and you want to punish them, careful that you don’t also punish the other members of the team too or don’t be surprised when you are kicked from the group. People will put up with a rude tank or healer in a HMFP (particular if they are good) because it is more expedient than waiting for a replacement. Is it right, no, but base on the roles make up the server it is a fact.

I take offense to your saying people buy expensive gear. I worked to get my gear, I worked to optimize my gear, my toon wore a stupid cape for 7 months because it gave my group the best chance to complete a instances over my wanting to look good. I have grind HMFP, Dailies and Weeklies to get my gear. Yes, I may be overgeared for HMFP, but my gear gives my team the best chance to get through HM TfB and NiM EC and I assure you I am not overgeared for either of those.

It's a type of bragging the player does to say they have more money and can get better things... That's not what the game is about.
It is not about what the game is to you. Not everyone plays the game for the same reason. Getting gear to help tackle harder content is what the game is about to some. If getting dreadguard implants will increase my healing at all which will improve my groups chances to complete NiM EC, then I am doing HMFP for no other reason than Black Hole comms to get the implants. Really without the incentive to do Hard Mode Flashpoints, what is the point after doing each 50 or more times?

Personally I don’t mind helping others get gear, but I am not crazy about helping those that refuse to help themselves. People that refuse to do dailies for rakata ear, implants and relics, people that wear 40 something gear instead of getting the free Tionese. Someone comes into HMFP in any 50 gear and I will do everything possible to complete the instances with that full group. However, if people don’t put the best interest of the group first and show up in green 45 gear, then I will not say anything if the others vote kick them. Been in too many groups where people just wanted to be carried to gear in operations, not going back to those days.

On a personal note, I have made some of the biggest bonehead and noob mistakes in both operations and HMFP. I have also never been kicked from a hardmode flashpoint or operation. You may think it is because my main is a healer, but I also run them on two dps. I would like to think it is because I am really good, but I know for a fact there are way better players than me. I believe it is because I am social, I always say hello, when I make a mistake I apologize and I never blame anyone for a wipe. I try to treat the entire group with respect because I understand the entire group is important to the group's success.

Edited by mikebevo

I would recommend finding a guild who likes to run some hard mode level 50 flashpoints. With group finder you are getting one of three people:

1. People who run flashpoints so many times a day that even their guild is sick of them (these people rush rush rush)

2. People who are so annoying their guild won't invite them to a flashpoint, even if they need their class (These people are asses)

3. Everyone else.

Group 3 isn't a problem, but out of the 4 people in a flashpoint group, you're going to get one of the first two types. At this point, no new flashpoints have been added since January of 2012, so most people say "spacebar now, youtube later" for hard mode flashpoints at 50. And most groups do skip all the trash in a jetpack-tank kinda way. Your best bet is to say at the start of the flashpoint, "This is my first time doing this hard mode" or something to that effect, otherwise, you are expected to rush through, know all the trash-skips and such.

Hell, even I went through similar stuff because I didn't do flashpoints after hitting 50. The gear was better from operations until they added black-hole comms for group finder, so going into flashpoints at that point I had to learn how to skip trash and it can suck. Luckily, I had some guild mates. :D

I would recommend finding a guild who likes to run some hard mode level 50 flashpoints. With group finder you are getting one of three people:

1. People who run flashpoints so many times a day that even their guild is sick of them (these people rush rush rush)

2. People who are so annoying their guild won't invite them to a flashpoint, even if they need their class (These people are asses)

3. Everyone else.

Group 3 isn't a problem, but out of the 4 people in a flashpoint group, you're going to get one of the first two types. At this point, no new flashpoints have been added since January of 2012, so most people say "spacebar now, youtube later" for hard mode flashpoints at 50. And most groups do skip all the trash in a jetpack-tank kinda way. Your best bet is to say at the start of the flashpoint, "This is my first time doing this hard mode" or something to that effect, otherwise, you are expected to rush through, know all the trash-skips and such.

Hell, even I went through similar stuff because I didn't do flashpoints after hitting 50. The gear was better from operations until they added black-hole comms for group finder, so going into flashpoints at that point I had to learn how to skip trash and it can suck. Luckily, I had some guild mates. :D

Well I've done 2 harmode flashpoints since this post and both those times I got into. Group of decent people who have run the flashpoint once, maybe twice wearing end game or pvp or tionese 50 stuff.

At the same time didn't know about the flashpoint history. Have to say tho, when certain people are given incentive for something, they immediately become self centered and won't openly help or become involved unless forced.

Where I'm going with this is a whole other point...

Why can't the experienced in turn; ask if anyone is new the hardmode. Before I get re-smashed for not myself asking first, I'm offering a mere counterpoint. In the same breath I can be responsible for saying I'm new to HM, but also why can't those other players ask if anyone is new.

Why can't the experienced in turn; ask if anyone is new the hardmode. Before I get re-smashed for not myself asking first, I'm offering a mere counterpoint. In the same breath I can be responsible for saying I'm new to HM, but also why can't those other players ask if anyone is new.

I do this.

GF Pops, load intance

"Hello!"

(get various hellos back)

"Everyone know this FP?"

(if anyone says No I say)

"Coolio, I'll explain boss fights as we get to them"

Edit: Actually, I only usually ask if someone has low hp. If the player has good gear but doesn't know the instance they had better speak up, as I'm assuming they know what they're doing.

Edited by Khevar

I admit, I don't. First thing I do is say hello, then I play follow the leader with the tank unless someone says they are new or if they are extremely slow. If they are slow, I will slow down and wait or go back for them. Different tanks do different bosses and pull trash differently. I feel I would be stepping on the tanks toes if I started explain how we were going to tackle a boss. If someone is new and they tell me they are new. I will whisper to them to follow me and not to worry about anything as long as they don't fall to their death I will keep their toon on their feet and to just have fun.

In the same breath I can be responsible for saying I'm new to HM, but also why can't those other players ask if anyone is new.

Sometimes I'll be in a flashpoint where someone will ask if anyone is new, but I think more often people assume new people will volunteer that information themselves. That's just because most of the time, we're with people who have done it before (think: each player can only be new to the flashpoint once, whereas everyone can do it with previous experience an infinite number of times). You can get away with not admitting you're unfamiliar with the flashpoint, but I'd say once you start doing things like accidentally aggroing groups others are skipping, dying for bad reasons (falling off ledges, or crossing into the deadly snow zone on Battle of Ilum), or wiping the group (whether or not it's entirely your fault), you should probably say something like, "Sorry, I haven't done this flashpoint on hard mode before" or something like that. When I was new, people were usually tolerant and even supportive when I admitted it was my first time.

As for the conversations, many people think that if you want the story, you should play story mode. I'm OK with people listening to the conversations as long as it's not Esseles or BT, because those have a LOT of talking. If you need to refresh your memory on what they're about, you can always solo story mode.

It's definitely tough at first when you start doing hard modes (it does help to have done everything at least once in story mode), because you're in with much better geared people who are used to sleepwalking through these things and just want the 5 BH comms at the end. I know it took me more than a couple runs before I could navigate through Taral V unguided, and still sometimes I'll slip up and aggro an extra group. But a humble apology usually fixes it (e.g. "So sorry!!!" "np, took us all of 10 secs to clean up"). Say you're new, follow the tank, and apologize for mistakes. If you've done these things and people are still mean, then they're just jerks. There are definitely some of those, too.

I don't think i can ever understand you, you are new and need help/instruction and other have to ask if you need help ?

I don't think i can ever understand you, you are new and need help/instruction and other have to ask if you need help ?

no im saying:

I have a ability to say that i am new and to request help.

At the same time, the elitists could save themselves stress by asking themselves if anyone in the group is new.

Make sense now?

So what im saying here is, do you agree with this arrogant play-style? or do you think there should be more co-operative-ness (i know thats not a word) in these hard-mode flashpoints?

i can honestly say i'd like to think people are nicer than this but im about to give up on humanity over this

There's nothing arrogant with that play-style. As stated before, a vast majority of us has done those flashpoints a million times and we should be fairly comfortable doing them quickly and efficiently. Good manners would include letting your team mates know that it's your first time in a flashpoiont (not to mention an operation). It also helps if one announces they're playing a specific role for the first time in that flashpoint.

My main is a Shadow tank and I tend to breeze through each and every flashpoint either by soft cc of mobs or plain avoiding them in the first place. There is a certain rythm each flashpoint has and I know them all by heart. I also cut corners and play very aggressively. Reactions vary - some are glad they've been teamed up with a capable tank and the flashpoint was a breeze, some start whining and some people just quit because they can't cope. The least capable ones get kicked. Like the gunslinger that got aoe'd by the Trandoshan boss in LE.

Please, follow the tank. If he hugs a wall, you don't take the shortest route - you hug the wall too. If the tank tells you to position yourselves behind him, you do not stay in front of the boss and aggro two patrolling droids and you certainly do not stay on the stairs and aggro ten rakghouols. And if the tank smeggs up - at least it's not your fault and you get to gripe and troll. :)

Uhh I KNOW it is up to par. Because I'm able to run hard modes with it and no body complains about what stuff I'm wearing. So your point of the tionese mods not being up to "par" is wildly inaccurate.

In your privious post you said, that you ripped the mods out of the tionese and put them into modable armor.

It's wright that you keep the stats, but you lose the setbonus.

The setbonus is not world changing but it gives a bit of a boost (for most classes/specs).

Please do not see this as a offense against you, I just wanted you to be aware of it.

And finally: You can DPS/tank/heal Tier 1 HM fp's just fine in tionese or even recruit gear. (I never tried LI HM in this gear sets so I don't know about it)

If you've been around since v1.1, then you know what it used to be like to gear up.

There was no group finder, there was no Campaign / Black Hole gear. The only way to get Columi or better was to do HM FPs and Ops. Didn't you do HM FPs in Tionese (or even worse)?

I remember my first runs, a lot of BT HM because it was the easiest till I got a few pieces of energiced and tionese.

So I have a level 50 Jedi Guardian tank and I'd like to start running HM FPs. I've not done them all in story mode yet so that's my first plan - view the cut scenes and get familiar w/ the basic mechanics. After that I will dip my toes into the hard modes. I know the tank is usually the leader and what not but are people more tolerant of newbie tanks?

I know the tank is usually the leader and what not but are people more tolerant of newbie tanks?
Certain people are intolerant of anyone new, but for the most part tanks and healers can get away with more innocent, new mistakes. Queue times are long waiting on a replacement tank, so I would not worry about getting kicked.

Personlly in our guild new tanks will usually do their first runs at hmfp with guild healers and dps. If you can find a geared healer guildmate/friend to queue with you. If not get a ready made group, I would advertise in General Chat, New Tank looking to do first HMFP for daily. You will most likely get intimidated with overgeared dps and healers waiting to join to avoid the long queue times. Now they owe you and they already know you are new so you were upfront with them, so you already are on friendly terms with them.

Another suggestion I would give if you know someone that's main is the same class and roll as your tank, but they have a alt dps and/or healer, see if they can queue with you. I know on our guild runs members that know the role can explain the fights so much easier to the new tanks and make the HMFP so much easier, you can do the SM and watch the video, but someone telling you specifics about your class and role makes everything smoother.

My last suggstion is be careful who you take advise from, not all advise is correct. No way of knowing if it is intentional or they just don't know the correct answer, but look up and read to double check, before committing anything concrete to any advise. I was a fresh 50 healer at one time, the tanks advise was I should never heal myself, all my heals should be to him and the dps. I took that advise for about 2 wipes.

Make sense now?
None whatsoever. If I am new to a instances it is my responsibility to inform the group, just as it is their responsibility to tell me if they are new. I know my knowledge and experience so it is up to me to share that with the group, it is not their responsibility to get that information out of me.

I would also like your definition of Elitist, because you seem to be calling anyone with a little gear and that does not do everything your way an Elitist. Sorry to me someone thinking their way is the only way to play the game and that puts their own benefit above the group is treading dangerously close to my definition of Elitist.

Edited by mikebevo

OP, sorry mate, but your making a mountain out of a mole hill here. You've taken one bad experience and blown it up into a "US vs. THEM" argument. Bad flashpoint? Leave group and re-que. Never been in the FP before? Let people know so they know what to expect and hopefully they will let you know what is expected of you as well.

Example: while leveling my marauder to 50 a couple weeks ago, Collicod War Games popped in my daily dungeon. I had never finished the FP before since the first boss fight was buggy as hell at SWTOR's release. I had heard that the FP was fixed and decided to stick it out. Low and behold, the first boss fight was no longer buggy. Right after that fight I let the group know that, despite this being my 6th toon, I had never finished the FP and is there anything I needed to know at this point? Low and behold, they told me everything about the rest of the FP and the party proceeded to blow through it with no deaths or wipes.

Don't be "that girl" that causes the rest of the group to bang their heads on their desks. Speak up, listen, learn, and above all, be considerate of others. Nothing in any of your responses indicates you are even remotely sorry for the wipes you caused. Please take this as a learning experience and become a better player from it.

no im saying:

I have a ability to say that i am new and to request help.

At the same time, the elitists could save themselves stress by asking themselves if anyone in the group is new.

Make sense now?

Just so you know, I've been trying to be (generally) on your side of this argument, as I always feel that being friendly is much preferable to being rude, and your original story sounded like it would have gone better if people had been a bit more patient.

But you keep throwing this "elitist" term around, and it's actually starting to get on my nerves.

Respect goes both ways. In all the months I've been playing this game, I've rarely run into people who are actually elitist, as "snobbish, exclusive, superior, arrogant, selective, pretentious, stuck-up"

But it's very easy to be rude to someone else, get a rude response, then point at them and say, "You're being elitist" And conversely, it's very easy to be friendly to that same person, and get a helpful response.

I can practically guarantee that if you stop assuming that experienced and skilled players are going to be elitist and rude, you may discover that most of them actually aren't.

Edited by Khevar

I suppose that's fair, but I do 3 HM FPs a day (often 3 FE's in a row) and will soon be doing 4 with my scoundrel currently being 48. It gets tiresome asking every time.

hell, I recently got Foundry on my jugg which has been 50 for half a year and I told everyone I had forgotten the bosses and didn't know skip paths. Assessing your own weakness helps as you can then improve on it.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

Just so you know, I've been trying to be (generally) on your side of this argument, as I always feel that being friendly is much preferable to being rude, and your original story sounded like it would have gone better if people had been a bit more patient.

But you keep throwing this "elitist" term around, and it's actually starting to get on my nerves.

Respect goes both ways. In all the months I've been playing this game, I've rarely run into people who are actually elitist, as "snobbish, exclusive, superior, arrogant, selective, pretentious, stuck-up"

But it's very easy to be rude to someone else, get a rude response, then point at them and say, "You're being elitist" And conversely, it's very easy to be friendly to that same person, and get a helpful response.

I can practically guarantee that if you stop assuming that experienced and skilled players are going to be elitist and rude, you may discover that most of them actually aren't.

This, exactly.

I think most people have been trying to see your side, myself included. However, I keep seeing responses like "well, why should I have to be the one to tell people I'm new?" and "why is it my fault that you have better gear and more expensive repairs."

The more I see responses like that, the less I feel for you. And the more I get the sense that it really is all about you, and it's never ever your fault. While not exactly elitist, this attitude strikes me as quite entitled.

Not everyone acts like this but as a tank I see it alot. I also have Been here since beta and have done these a million times. I understand that people want to rush but IMO they forget that it supposed to be fun. I already have a job SWTOR is a game. I skip stuff or I spend an hour on black talon what difference does it make if I am having run playing with other people.

There are a ton of whiners in this game more than I am used to. There are also som cool people but you get the good with the bad

Just if you have not done something tell your group if they whine too much just ignore them and continue on. Sometimes is easier to kill the mobs then to skip them

Hey if your on ebon hawk I will group with you

Just going to throw my 2c in here..

As an annihilation marauder, I've soloed every HM FP aside from LI and Kaon. It's not a big deal, plenty of people have done it. My point here, is that you would think my chances of success would increase dramatically with a full GF queue. More people = more damage/heals right? Wrong. I don't want to be elitist, but if you're new, say so. I will quickly explain mechanics, easy strats, and tell you to follow my ***. If I have 2 other Guildies in there, chances are you won't even have to do them if you didn't tell us you were new, but by telling us you were new we'll purposely make sure you get the experience you need. It's not like we're going to wipe unless you manage to extricate our healer off a cliff.

This:rak_03:

So this is a bit of a rant:

(SHORT VERSION AT BOTTOM)

Today i spent a total of 5 hours waiting for flashpoint groups to join and do hard mode stuff.

I managed to get into 9 Flashpoint groups and it seems to me i find the few people that should not play games.

they are:

A: inconsiderate

B: Ignorant

C: Uncooperative

D: Whiny

SHORT VERSION:

Im tired of how stuck-up people are during hard-mode flashpoints. worrying about for fast to get through a convo, or about accidentally pulling a few enemies to the group for help. and i get kicked for all these dumb reasons

• 2 months later...

So true.

Just reached 50 and tried to do some hard mode FPs. So far no one is done.

Each time I either was put to an uncooperative team which led to a major waste of time resulting in a failure, or to a team of arrogant nerds who kicked and insulted me just because I said a thing they considered as stupid. I wish them to burn in hell >.<

Edited by COOLak

Whew! Made it through all 23 pages of this thread, and I have to say that the OP throws the term "elitest" around a lot and tends to insult the people who disagree with her, even if they were kind about it in their posts. Now, I would never go through the time and effort of getting my entire guild to ignore you, if I did a HM FP where you intentionally pulled mobs I'd probably just kick you. You do damage. I pull mobs. Don't step on my toes and I won't step on yours. When I run a FP as a tank, I assume that everyone has run it before unless it is explicitly stated otherwise. I also assume that everyone has Speeder Piloting III and a speeder to match. I also assume that everyone is competent enough to watch me and follow where I go and to not get behind.

I also expect ALL DPS, even if it is their first run in a particular FP to know a few basics:

1) Basic kill order. Start with weaks --> Strongs --> Elites --> Champions

2) To NOT break CC's. If an enemy is CC'd, I have no aggro built on it and if CC breaks because of a single AOE, odds are it's going for either the DPS or the Healer.

3) To use their CC's and abilities as they are meant to be used. I shouldn't have to target or ask for every CC. If we've CC'd the other 6 Champion droids, you can bet your hat that the 7th will be CC'd as well.

4) I'm not a spacebar freak, I try to remember, but honestly most of them are so short I forget that they are skippable. Esseles and BT should be spacebarred without fail every time. The convos add an hour to the FP.

5) If you pull aggro on a boss cause they've CC'd me, and they don't come back to me as soon as I come back, that means my taunts are on CD. Use your threat dump pls.

6) To NEVER stand in a circle unless it has a Republic or Imperial insignia in the middle.

7) NEED for yourself, GREED for comps (unless you have permission to do otherwise), and GREED/PASS for everything else at your discretion.

8) To work as a team. DPS should divide and conquer weak enemies and focus fire on strongs and above. I shouldn't have one DPS wailing on one Elite while the other DPS is wailing on another.

If you've noticed, all of these are things a DPS should learn within their first run through Hammer Station, SM, the LVL 16 one. To not do these things by lvl 50 shows that you are just lazy and/or incompetent. And if a DPS ( or healer, for that matter ) keeps on doing these things, I will be tempted to initiate a vote to kick. But TBH, the only thing I kick / ignore for is gear ninja-ing.

However, accidentally pulling mobs and/or getting stuck is an entirely different story. It happens to the best of us and will happen at least once during a FP. It's to be expected in PuG's.

As for your gear, Tionese is more than sufficient to run through any Tier 1 HMFP.

EDIT: One last thing. A tank or healer might get away with going against the grain of a group (NOT spacebarring, etc.) but there are dozens of DPS just waiting to take your place. And you ignoring me isn't a big deal. You get enough tanks / healers to ignore you, you will have a very long queue time indeed. You may find it nigh impossible to get a Group Finder OP.

EDIT 2: Not to be a jerk, but why are you founding guilds when you don't even have a single 50? That would be like becoming a priest without reading the Bible. The other ppl in your guild will come to you for guidance / help and you should be able to give it to them. It's part of the responsibilities that come with that "Empress" title you're so fond of.

Edited by Jossajus