These controls...

SerikFox

Are not good. The mouse comes across way to sensitive, I can't use a joystick (biggest problem all around), and there is very little control customization. Other than that, I love this expansion. However it's a deal breaker for me if I can't make my controls act the way I want. I played swg for 7 some odd years. Space was my favorite part of the entire game; at least half of my total time online was in space. I spent years putting my ships together and had components in them that were worth more in net value than most players x10. My ships were worth more than the rest of all I owned (several billion in value including dozens of jewelry sets - countless sets of armor all with attachments - a full set of mando armor - over 100 cap or near cap dps weapons - thousands of deeds to ships, speeders, houses, extractors and the like - a dozen or so familiars - and literally 3 houses packed with full resource stacks because I had so many they couldn't fit in just one or two houses, even with storage expansions). So, I think it would be an understatement to say that I love flying. But, I will say now, you will lose the space fanatics out there if you do not give them control over their ships; and if there's one thing I can say for certain, it's that space fanatics are the most loyal group of customers you will ever find. They literally will not quit the game forever so long as you keep them happy. So please, give me access to my joystick.

The thing I found really annoying is how it seems to track your mouse even when it leaves the circle so it takes longer to bring it back to the center and throws you off. Hopefully they will fix this and make it so your mouse never leaves the circle.

The whole mouse thing is a fundamental flaw in the game design IMO.

Instead of maneuvering the craft to align the reticle to the target, you have to align the reticle on target to maneuver the craft. Piloting and targeting should work interdependently. And the more I play it (and presumably get better at it), the more I hate it.

Are not good. The mouse comes across way to sensitive..., I can't use a joystick and there is very little control customization..... So please, give me access to my joystick.

I have to agree that the mouse is way way too sensitive... I play in normal character mode on a high mouse sensitivity setting and going into Star fighter increases that sensitivity significantly to the point of making it unplayable with out me going out of the game and adjusting my mouse... that is going to put off a lot of people...

Luckily for me I have an adjustable/programmable mouse and all I need to do is go back to windows and load the profile I have setup for Star fighter... obviously this isn't ideal and I hope you will fix this with your next patch... I can only imagine how many people wont play this part of the game because they would need to go back to their windows mouse setup each time that isn't programmable and would need to manually adjust it

Lastly, a joystick would be desirable and you would probably get more people playing the game if you had one.

I love the idea behind the Star fighter concept, I have been a long time Star Wars flight sim fan, all the way back to X-Wing and Tie-Fighter... I know others feel the same way... please fix these issues ASAP

To be honest, i'm loving the mouse controls. I played a game called freelancer for 3 or 4 years (modded community) and it had almost the same control theme that the new galactic starfighter combat has.

My first game, I made #1 on the scoreboard with 6 kills, 9 assists, and 1 death. I was owning.

Mouse controls are waaay to sensitive, if it wasn't said already. I bump it jus a hair, and next thing I know, my starfighter is in a full spin the direction of the bump. Right now, forward is good. Left, Right, Up, Down.. all require mouse movement, and, that just isn't a comfortable level right now. Either tweak it down ... ALOT, or give us our own ability to adjust it (in preferences perhaps)

If you're having issues with mouse sensitivity, I'd recommend switching to the Strike Fighter; it has a much lower sensitivity than the Scout. Between the PTS and Live, I've played ~60 matches, and if I haven't used the Scout for a few matches, it still takes me a second to get used to how sensitive it is. So I'd stick to the Strike Fighter or Gunship until you get acclimated to the controls, then you might have an easier time handling the Scout. Edited by Delta_V

To be honest, i'm loving the mouse controls. I played a game called freelancer for 3 or 4 years (modded community) and it had almost the same control theme that the new galactic starfighter combat has.

My first game, I made #1 on the scoreboard with 6 kills, 9 assists, and 1 death. I was owning.

Same, the controls feel very natural to me. I'm doing pretty well, usually in the top 3 (I just finished one match with 6 kills and the #2 had 3 kills) and I'm not a pro with twitchy stuff. I don't think it's wrong or right to criticize the controls, I think that different people will react differently to them.

I'm kinda on the edge with these controls. The expansion is AWESOME though. They remind of freelancer, but in that game they were better iirc. They are a tad sensitive, which is all right, I can get used to that. But the fact that the mouse reticle gets tracked outside the circle really does throw you off, cause you have to pull it back into the circle. Dunno why they did that, it seems counter intuitive. Also, any sort of controller support would be PERFECT. Either with joystick or gamepad (like 360). But I am sure all this will be sorted out in the coming months. :) Still love it though.

Instead of maneuvering the craft to align the reticle to the target, you have to align the reticle on target to maneuver the craft. Piloting and targeting should work interdependently. And the more I play it (and presumably get better at it), the more I hate it.

This.

I disagree with splitting up the aiming and targeting. It seems to me that if you used, say, keyboard controls alone to fly, it would make flying much more complicated. You'd have to keep track of turning, rolling, throttle, pitching up and down, all with one hand, while aiming with the other. You'd be a one-handed piano player. I couldn't imagine a bigger nightmare.

Even when I play an FPS on my PC it doesn't work that way, usually looking and aiming are both done with the mouse. I wouldn't be able to play if they were independent. I'm not saying that what you propose is bad, it's just not for me and probably not for a lot of players.

It might be worth the time for developers to offer different control schemes for players, though, for people who don't like the current control set up. Something you can change in options.

the controls are really better then one could expect

but it totally works like controlling airplanes, wich is okay because its exactly how you would expect it from seeing it in the movies ... in the end the only thing that matters is if the system is able to provide the player

with this dog-fight feeling and thats working pretty well

the fact the mouse can leave the inner aiming circle is one aspect of skill this streamlined

system has left

if you have different weapons like in the Bomber you notice the circle is changing size according

to the firing angle of the weapon, wich is even smaller for the lock-on of the rockets,

so keeping your mouse steady in the middle of the screen determines

your success for a great part

the sensetivity is a problem some how, I play on 1% mouse sensetivity normaly in this game,

but even with these setting I have to use a DPI switch on my mouse to turn it down

even further to make the space.fights playable for me

regards

I'd just like to add my voice to those that would like the ability to change the sensitivity on the mouse, if nothing else. Right now it has such a hair trigger that the slightest mouse movement is a matter of virtual life and death. I generally play a scout (a complete departure from the sniper that I play in every other game like this, but I missed the gunship by a couple days). I was suprised by how well I actually do. Always in the middle of the pack, I'm not a boss, but I don't truly suck either. I play the scout by zooming in fast, firing, and then pulling out quickly; using the terrain to pull off moves that, when they work, are quiet sweet. The key point is *when they work*.

Now I'll take half the blame; when you get hit it's human nature to try to get away quickly... that leads to jerky mouse movements. On too many occasions, however, the difference between zooming past that asteroid and flipping into an ungodly spin that ends by slamming into said asteroid is a centimeter of mouse movement. I can understand that if a game is built around mouse and keyboard, joystick support might be difficult to do (although I support adding it for the grognards), but I can't see a single reason why mouse sensitivity isn't an option.

I think it bears repeating, add stick, gamepad controller capability. Its all a matter of preference for those who like to fly, but what we like to use is a big deal. I knew pilots who could fly extremely well with mouse in SWG I prefer a gamepad or flightstick it is a big deal to those of use who like them trust me

Have to agree and so did most of us beta testers that complained.

Everyone asking for a joystick doesn't seem to understand just how hard it would be to aim. The mouse gives you precision, yes a joystick is better for actual flight but what we have is not actual flight.

No, we understand just fine.

As it was not hard in

either. And we need BOTH precision AND actual flight here, or should have.

The thing I found really annoying is how it seems to track your mouse even when it leaves the circle so it takes longer to bring it back to the center and throws you off. Hopefully they will fix this and make it so your mouse never leaves the circle.

This is my only gripe, really. If you don't manage your mouse the whole match, you naturally end up dragging the pointer way off to the side of the screen, which makes correcting from a turn super wonky.