Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the exact same experience as Nulore and I just switched from six-month recurring to month-to-month as of reading this announcement. I've not yet seen a game that survived the transition from F2P without going straight to the Abyss but (at the risk of sounding like a fanboy) if anyone can do it, BioWare can. I'll keep paying (and playing) unless/until they do something stupid like the STO model.

I understand many of the fears of the players. Yet I fully support this move. I fully support Bioware. Yes, I do have a few issues. Yet I will still be playing this game, because Star Wars means something. It was part of my childhood growing up. The few fond memories I have of my childhood was when my father and I would sit down and watch the movies.

I refuse to give up on this game. Why, you ask. My answer is as simple as this Bioware doesn't disappoint and neither does Star Wars.

Many other games have succeeded while being F2P. Look at City of Heroes, Or any of the multiple others that you can search that you can download. People are just scared that their personal experience will change, because of the people who don't take the game seriously. You can ignore said people.

Very well said. It's easy to panic when a change is announced, but every MMO I've played that has changed to a F2P model has not only stayed around, but has improved. Why not see how Bioware is going to run the game as F2P before yelling about it?

Me too.

I have suffered through the F2P conversion of Star Trek Online and that game became P2W. P2W is just how F2P makes money. It is a sad truth.

I will remain subbed until the point where the first P2W item hits the cartel shop. Then I'm out of this game because I won't make the same mistake twice. I learned it the hard way when I trusted PWE/Cryptic Studios to do right by the Star Trek IP.

EA/Bioware disappointed me in the past too. All I have to say is ME3. Never played it because of the Origin Spyware requirement. I don't have much trust and faith left to give to the gaming industry.

I know how u feel about the industry, it's out of line and it seems the older games are much more fun without the have to sign a spyware contract which I did for my brother, and we use the same computer, though i'm building a new 1 now. But every1 should know this is crappy EA junk, not Bioware as page 23 says on the Ea quaterly report or you can see it on the page before this 1 I think or near the middle of this page.

I'm Not someone who bought the CE, but I did buy the game the Night It came out. I have paid to play since day one. Through all the tough patches. The 5-8 hours of Downtime a week for Server maintenance. I was one of the first 50's on my server that wasn't from the CE pre-launch players.

I don't know how hard I can say that I've tried. I was lucky enough not to be one of the people that had to move servers or lose characters. I just don't understand why they tried so hard, to stop trying all together. It's tough for me to realize that a Company that is Going to Cons to promote their product doesn't care for it. If they do care then Customer Support would be helpful (they're not). If they cared about the product, then they wouldn't punish players for being faithful.

My only hope with this F2P, is that they make Specific Servers For F2P only. Not like they don't have 30 down. I just don't want the Communities that have Been Struggling to survive through this tough time to die out.

The biggest part of an online game is the Community. That's why these Forums are so active. That's why there is such an outrage.

I really just don't want to Lose the Sportsman-like PvP my server is proud of as well as Destroy the rest of the Already small guilds that are surviving they're poor choices and neglect.

I understand everyone's feelings here. I have been thinking the same things. Will this kill the game. I was on earlier this morning 12 am to about 5 am. There was only 22 people on the Fleet which sacred me. I have never seen so few people on the fleet ever.

I also have my own issues, with what has been going on with the game. Loosing the only RP PVP server on the west coast sucked. I lost my home server. I transferred to another server and have had bad lag issues. Hell my lag was at 1700 something around 2pm yesterday. I want to love this game. I want to support BioWare. I just can't find it in me to trust EA...

Yes with the F2P we will have the random trolls and what not. The question is, how will it effect me. F2P isn't the end I hope. If they do things right the game could continue running strong. Look at companies that have made it work. City of Heroes. They have been running strong for years. I'm not pushing that way of doing things. I just want to feel that I am getting my monies worth if I am paying to have access to the whole game. I know the Devs wont read most of this at all. I also know they have already made up their minds on how things will progress. All I ask is that, the game continue.

I had the exact same experience as Nulore and I just switched from six-month recurring to month-to-month as of reading this announcement. I've not yet seen a game that survived the transition from F2P without going straight to the Abyss but (at the risk of sounding like a fanboy) if anyone can do it, BioWare can. I'll keep paying (and playing) unless/until they do something stupid like the STO model.

It's only BioWare in name, friend. In all other ways, it's EA. :(

If a dev does a response to all of this, I have a question. As a subscriber, when I go to log in, it says I have priority in the que over a FTP. If my server is jammed full of FTP players, will one of them get kicked when I try to log in, or do I have to sit around and wait in que even though I am a subscriber?

Other than that , I really dont care about FTP. But I really do not think it is fair as a paying subscriber to have to sit and wait for access to a server while a FTP player enjoys the game.

If a dev does a response to all of this, I have a question. As a subscriber, when I go to log in, it says I have priority in the que over a FTP. If my server is jammed full of FTP players, will one of them get kicked when I try to log in, or do I have to sit around and wait in que even though I am a subscriber?

Other than that , I really dont care about FTP. But I really do not think it is fair as a paying subscriber to have to sit and wait for access to a server while a FTP player enjoys the game.

Pretty sure it'll work like it did when DCUO went F2P and the servers got jammed up. As a paying subscriber, I got "Legendary" access. Meaning, if I logged in the same time as someone F2P, I went ahead of them to login, but waited behind someone who was Legendary.

And accessing a game server with no wait isn't a perk, one of many reasons I left DCUO for SWTOR.

Edited by jason_ralph

The death of this game will NOT be F2P. Its either gonna be P2W or poor quality patches that are gonna be to far apart. And since EA document clearly says that SW is not their main concern, and with all the lay offs One can not help but to be pesimistic about it.

Wouldn't it be awsome if layed off developers had a top secret agreement with Lucas to continue developing on SW in the darkest corners of the universe until its done the way it was suposed to be. Then Lucas performs "Coup de grace" and yanks the licence and we all get the best game of our lifes ... ah if only game world wasn't run by ppl who only see in games their money value.

I for sure will try my hardest to avoid anything with EA logo on it from now on!

Edited by Branko

I don't have a problem with F2P. Many fun games have gone that route. What concerns me the most is this...

"We have a great lineup in development including: a new Operation, Terror From Beyond, a new heroic mission series on the planet of Belsavis; a set of level 50 space combat missions for those looking for the ultimate challenge mode; introduction of a dangerous new Companion to accompany you; and for our PvP fans, a new warzone, Ancient Hypergate!"

Absolutely nothing mentioned here is going to keep me playing SWTOR. Nothing. What this game desperately needs more than anything is repeatable randomized soloable content. Think along the lines of BH missions in SWG or newspaper missions in City of Heroes. Voice acting isn't necessary, text-driven from terminals is perfectly fine. But the bottom line is that solo gameplay post-level cap is beyond broken and doesn't seem to be any sort of priority to the devs. Leveling up is such a joy in SWTOR. I'd say the best in any MMO I've ever played. But unless THAT experience continues post-cap (not heroics, not flashpoints, not PvP....I mean soloable story-driven gameplay) then ultimately this will only be a game that I return to once a year or so, play a toon to level cap, and then drop out until the urge hits me to level a new one a year or so down the road. In short, it will be like a typical console game, not a continuing MMO universe.

Bottom line: For me leveling is the best part of this game by far, and I'd like to see continuing that experience to be the priority. Otherwise I will just be an occasional player.

The death of this game will NOT be F2P. Its either gonna be P2W or poor quality patches that are gonna be to far apart. And since EA document clearly says that SW is not their main concern, and with all the lay offs One can not help but to be pesimistic about it.

Wouldn't it be awsome if layed off developers had a top secret agreement with Lucas to continue developing on SW in the darkest corners of the universe until its done the way it was suposed to be. Then Lucas performs "Coup de grace" and yanks the licence and we all get the best game of our lifes ... ah if only game world wasn't run by ppl who only see in games their money value.

I for sure will try my hardest to avoid anything with EA logo on it from now on!

As much as I would love for that to be true, I honestly would likely not play it. This is my second Star Wars MMO that I have been burned by. I have pretty much given up hope for a good, QUALITY Star Wars MMO. One that has all of the features a MMO is supposed to have while providing the Star Wars experience. Heck. I'm pretty much done with MMO's period. After 9 years of being burned by developers who have no clue how read their client base and ignore feedback from their player base, whether in a General Discussion forum or especially their test center forums, I'll stick with my Xbox and SPG's with some online multiplayer elements.

They did say paying customers will get priority login in queue over F2P players.

They did say paying customers will get priority login in queue over F2P players.

I havent heard anything that makes me feel its going to be worth my paying $15 a month (actually it costs me a lot more in real money because im from a different country with a poor exchange rate and lower purchasing power).

Give the F2P guys up to chapter one or something. The class storylines are the best part of SWTOR... If things go the way I forsee Id probably be better off giving up on my main (and fav) character by unsubbing and just playing all the other classes up till 50 and then say bye bye to SWTOR for good.

Its just one peice of depressing news on top of another isnt it?! And to think that I just shelled out 2 months salary for a new PC...

:confused:

I dont get all the doom and gloom...and Bioware Ruined my SWTOR! and Damn them to the firey pits of hell talk ...

If anything they have now given people more options with wich to choose how they want to play. You can now choose to play the game free and have less access to a few things in game but you could still play. College and high school students who wanted to play this game probably love this concept. Also familes on a tight budget in our poor economy as well or players new to the MMO concept and want to get their feet wet. But for die hard fans and hardcore raiders and gamers they have and likethe paid option still gives them everything they have already gotten and now access to coiins to get more free stuff for their expierence and for being a loyal paying customer. Its basic marketting principals, try to widen the market and generate more interest from a wider range of folks out there.

More people on the servers and more folks doing microtransactions for the cartel coins, though I know they havent announced that for sure Im sure they will, will help to keep the game and the servers on. In the world off free game apps on facebook and smartophones, ipads and ipodtouches, the pay as you go model has declined in popularity alot since this infusion of these gaming outlets and though alot of folks still dont mind paying a monthly fee for their games alot more wont get within o ten foot pole of game that you have to buy and then continuiously pay for to play. What alot of compaines are now all doing in this MMO genere is try to make a hybrid system that caters to both groups to keep their game alive as long as they can until the next thing wins people over.

To me the more options and exposure bioware can generate for this game and keep people interested in it and giving them multiple options and ways to play it is not only going to keep the game alive longer but is a smart business and marketing move onn their part to try to maximise their games potential and continue to expand on it. those who pay will have perks that those who dont wont...their will most likely be some kind of microtrasnactions to unlock certain things for those who play for free to unlock with real world money while those who pay already will get them free or at laest with their coins they are given.

Tons of MMOs had success with this. LOTRO, Champions online, DDO, Rift, Etc...Also GW and Likely GW2 which were always F2P hang around awhile and while they were industry toppers in gross income made for their companies, they made their compaines in profits while keeping alot of gamers havig fun with each other in the MMO scene.

Lets face it if so many people didnt already have so many years and money already invested in their WOW accounts theyd be hanging their subs up for that game too and many already have...the death of the completly subscription only story driven MMO has arrived... the masses have shown they already demand other options for their gaming dollars...while some will still preferr this method if companies limit themselves to ONLY that option they lose out on tons of revenue and potential customers by having no other options out there to continuously obtain new players to there game, espcially in the world of Mobile device App gaming, and F2p MMOs and very low cost independant games out there...sure most those arent AAA titles or games, but if people are just wanting to kill a few hours a week or a couple a day they have sooo many options now that they never had in the past that companies have to rethink their strategies for marketing their games to todays consumer.

Edited by SargeShadywalker

SargeShadywlaker just demonstrated the stark difference between an individual aware of the fiscal realities of a company marketing a product and searching to find a way to retain profitability in one of the worst economies in the last half-century and those that seem to think they are entitled to continuous materials beyond basic maintenance for their subscription dollars.

Bioware and EA do not owe us anything.

We pay for the continued maintenance of the game and if enough profit occurs to bankroll new projects extended content will be provided.

I do not recall signing a legal agreement with Bio/EA when I subbed that guaranteed a continuous flow of new content.

We are not entitled to continued development simply because we have subscribed.

We pay for the game in its current state.

Free-to-play game purchases and micro-transactions might provide a new influx of revenue that would allow continued development. That would be ideal.

So long as my subscription retains maintenance of my server and full access to my characters I do not care.

I hope that this will prove to be a positive change.

I am somewhat disturbed that no mention has been made of same sex romance, or the promised addition of Cathars to playable species. These features are of far more interest to me than a new pvp area.

This. Right there. Read it. Look up. There's a good Dev. :rak_03:

At first I was really pissed because I felt like this would be the end of Star Wars The Old Republic as we know it and it would turn into every other MMO that I hated. However after hearing their reasons I definitely understand how the standard for MMO's has become Free-to-Play, with a pay option. As much as I would have liked to see this happen maybe on say...the first anniversary of Star Wars The Old Republic, I feel like they know what they are doing and have probably made the best decision for the game.

However....I feel like Free-to-Play players do not necessarily respect the game as much as us Subscription players and I feel that the most crowded and popular servers should be barred from Free-to-Play usage. Therefore, The Harbinger, Canderous Ordo, The Ebon Hawk, The Fatman, etc, should remain reserved for Subscribed Players only. I feel this would be a very important step to keeping Subscription players (who don't want to play with Free-to-Play players) happy.

I hope you take my suggestion, guys. ;)

Long live Star Wars The Old Republic!

Edited by CandarOrdo

My only problem is BioWare once again showing it's "Empire Bias" by making all the rewards "Sith" rewards... Where is the Jedi Master's chair? Where are robes that make us look like Jedi and not homeless Egyptian hobo's?? :/

I've been playing on both sides to get the story's and I can tell you that the Republic story plots are way better then the empires (except for agent) Also most of the gear is cooler at the republic side so no they are not biased for the Sith more making up for the lack of a compelling story for the Empire.

I also like this decision, not gonna be bad at all. I don't play that much anymore and don't need extra perks so I'm going F2P, mostly I like the story in the game and it would be a shame not to be able to get to finish my stories because I don't want to pay for subscription...

Bioware and EA do not owe us anything.

We pay for the continued maintenance of the game ...

First part is true.

The second part is not. We pay for the ticket to enter the theme park they created and they own. How to improve entertainment is their sole discretion. You like it? Then you buy a monthly ticket, you are allowed to enter the grounds and help yourself with fun. You dont like it? Then go away and have your fun elsewhere. SWTOR is their real business. Gamers are NOT investors. Sub is only small compensation of their huge expenses to create [,maintain and develop] the business. Customers feedback is important, as long as it is positive and friendly.

Edited by RiverRaid

However....I feel like Free-to-Play players do not necessarily respect the game as much as us Subscription players and I feel that the most crowded and popular servers should be barred from Free-to-Play usage. Therefore, The Harbinger, Canderous Ordo, The Ebon Hawk, The Fatman, etc, should remain reserved for Subscribed Players only. I feel this would be a very important step to keeping Subscription players (who don't want to play with Free-to-Play players) happy.

/QUOTE]

The problem with this is players already on the server that go F2P and old players coming back with characters on those servers. Where do they go? Not to mention if their friends are subscribers but can't play with them from time to time because they are locked out of each others server. The sub isn't going to leave his guild to go to another server to his friends, where supposedly all the trolls will be... Just saying

Might be better just to let it all even out and maybe mark F2P with a different color and/or log them into different ques for match making in WZ, FP and OP