Next two playable races

Lyrinna

Have a look at the long running poll on new races. Wookiees and Droids have a lot of votes, last time I checked Wookiees had the most votes.

Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll is the thread name. BioWare doesn't like for us to link to other topics so I won't provide a link. I can update that wookiee is no longer the top vote getter in that poll but it is still very popular with the third most votes.

I don't recall any issue with linking, but here is the overall top 5 on the poll:

1. Togruta

2. Nautolan

3. Kel Dor

4. Voss

5. Rodian

Edit: Not sure how he's calculating it but looking at the actual numbers it looks like Wookiees are #4 now.

Edited by chuixupu

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like to see a fix for twileks first before we add more races with things pointing out of their head. im disapointed that the only solution they have for helmets is to make the lekettu completely dissapear for full face masks or to clip through the helmet in other cases there needs to either be a seprate art asses for the helmets for twileks or having the helmets designed for twileks by default so that everyone is wareing the twilek compatable helmet

We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.

Personally, I disagree. Although it completely depends on how it's done.

For example, myself I do not speak Japanese. Can I watch anime? Yes, most definitely. Heck, I even prefer it watching subbed over dubbed. Not understanding the language, doesn't make me want to punch in the screen.

Nor do I truly speak French. Sure, I can order a beer, buy some bread, etc. whilst in France. But a conversation? No, that's too far. However, I most definitely do not mind watching movies in French with subtitles. It by far makes me want to punch in the screen.

And the same goes for some languages in SWTOR. For example Jawa's making their sounds, are all fine to me. I most definitely wouldn't object to playing as one of them.

But there's also some alien language spoken by some which sounds like some sort of mutant fly is doing the talking. I most definitely wouldn't want to listen to that every quest no.

Unfortunately this yet another example of BioWare NOT listening to it's customers base. This game would be far more popular if people could play species like wookies,droids,hutts and so on. I'm sorry but your story often gets in the way of having fun!

I find Wookies annoying to the point of not even using the Smuggler companion because of it. Hell, having to listen to the Huntmaster for more than 2secs is annoying to me. The same could be said about other non-english speaking races. It doesn't mean some people wouldn't enjoy them, but it also doesn't mean that the portion of people who'd enjoy endless hours of incessant moaning would be big enough to make their addition worthwhile.

I'm all for new races, but I agree that they should be limited to those that can speak english.

wookiees are the worst thing ever... i would not play a wookiee if my life depended on it. however, i wouldn't care if they were added as playable. because even though i loath them so, someone else might like them. i would avoid grouping with them though.

i think falleen are a good choice because they're different. they have different facial structures and it's enough to make them more than just humans with scales. also, they would have VERY intresting racial abilities lol. could possibly change your skin color for a little while, or use them sexay pheromones ;P

oh, a quick edit. zeltrons! it's true, they're just humans with pink/red/violet skin. but! just think about fun those pheromone racials could be! also... how powerful would a zeltron sith be? what with their ability to telepathically impose emotions onto other people, i'd say a sith zeltron would be incredibly dangerous!

Edited by ganondorq

We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.

So true, so very true

You don't notice it that much because of how they have designed the game, but after playing a KOTOR mod where most of the voice acting was done with the alien stock lines I can honestly say that hearing alien babble more than normal english turns brain meltingly annoying after a while

So true, so very true

You don't notice it that much because of how they have designed the game, but after playing a KOTOR mod where most of the voice acting was done with the alien stock lines I can honestly say that hearing alien babble more than normal english turns brain meltingly annoying after a while

you don't even have to mod the game

just playing on Telos on Kotor 2 makes me want to choke every Ithorian on that planet

Personally, I disagree. Although it completely depends on how it's done.

For example, myself I do not speak Japanese. Can I watch anime? Yes, most definitely. Heck, I even prefer it watching subbed over dubbed. Not understanding the language, doesn't make me want to punch in the screen.

Nor do I truly speak French. Sure, I can order a beer, buy some bread, etc. whilst in France. But a conversation? No, that's too far. However, I most definitely do not mind watching movies in French with subtitles. It by far makes me want to punch in the screen.

And the same goes for some languages in SWTOR. For example Jawa's making their sounds, are all fine to me. I most definitely wouldn't object to playing as one of them.

But there's also some alien language spoken by some which sounds like some sort of mutant fly is doing the talking. I most definitely wouldn't want to listen to that every quest no.

You have articulated my view on Damien's response perfectly. Damien you really need to look at this again. This game has loads going for it but to be perfectly frank the only thing that makes me think I'm playing in the Star Wars universe is when I hear a lightsabre...you need Wookies!

and this right here is why this game will never be good!!!!! just because you all cant get voice actors/writers that are good enough we all should suffer??

i would like Kel Dor my self and i also think there shouldn't be any restrictions on the new races, both factions should be able to use them. Falleen would be cool too but there is no way we could actually have them and they work the way they should B^( how do you implement pheromones into a game?? B^P

you know, i got to thinking about cathar. and i'd really like to see the sub species ( juhani is a member of the sub species) added with the main species. there are differences to the main and sub species that are noticeable, so that wouldn't be a problem :)

:edit: also, i've been wondering why almost none of the cathar currently in game speak with the heavy russian accent that cathar are supposed to have?

Edited by ganondorq

THANK YOU !! I've been saying this forever but people don't really understand I guess.

It gets annoying sometimes seeing all the wookie and jawa players race threads.

THANK YOU !! I've been saying this forever but people don't really understand I guess.

I understand their concern, but you could do something like those horrible young Jedi novels did when they first introduced Lowbacca - Put some type of translator droid on his belt / bandolier / whatever. Heck you could even make it sound more organic so you're not listening to droid all day.

I understand it and I can see how the point appears compelling. I don't agree however.

Whilst it is reasonable to assert that long alien dialogue would be annoying it is not to say there isn't a way in which it can be made tolerable thus enabling players to enjoy the elements of playing a non basic speaking race that they are after.

Alien non basic dialogue doesn't need to spend as long saying the same thing. Something that takes 30 seconds to say in English might only take 10 seconds in Wookiee.

Don't forget, when its non basic alien noises you are going to be reading the subtitles anyway after which you can Spacebar.

and this right here is why this game will never be good!!!!! just because you all cant get voice actors/writers that are good enough we all should suffer??

i would like Kel Dor my self and i also think there shouldn't be any restrictions on the new races, both factions should be able to use them. Falleen would be cool too but there is no way we could actually have them and they work the way they should B^( how do you implement pheromones into a game?? B^P

Kel Dor speak Basic and Falleen's could be in the game, what just because they might not incorporate the pheromones doesn't mean that they can't be added.

I predict Voss (neutral) and Cathar (Republic) as the next two playable species.

we already know that cathar is the next playable species ... and we already know its going to be neutral .... they wouldnt add a new race at this point and not have either One for EACH faction or only one that is neutral ... its entirely unbelievealbe that anyone would think that there would be republic only species.

We have a store now ... all species added will be locked until purchased for 1.5 million creids or through the store for 600-900 cartel coins.

Bummer

I feel this way anyway when I have to play with the same vo for the male Jedi knight again. When it comes to Alts I would take gibberish over the original voice because that voice is mentally associated with the character I already played with. I have rolled alt females just to avoid the redundency so I would take generic sullustan sounds over the female vo since I am on an rp sever

Edited by kirorx

Kel Dor speak Basic and Falleen's could be in the game, what just because they might not incorporate the pheromones doesn't mean that they can't be added.

well, keeping with the "no combat value" thing with racial abilities, they could either go with the falleen's ability to change skin tone or the pheromones. the skin change is obvious. the pheromones could work by making another player do a /flirt when you use it on them lol. i personally would find that hilarious ;P

though... judging by the way this community acts sometimes with certain things, i could see a lot of butthurt from the many people who seem to be quite insecure with their sexuality >.>

Edited by ganondorq

Unfortunately this yet another example of BioWare NOT listening to it's customers base. This game would be far more popular if people could play species like wookies,droids,hutts and so on. I'm sorry but your story often gets in the way of having fun!

No lol...they ARE listening to guys like me who would HATE to listen to alien speak all day. Speak for yourself, not the playerbase.

if people hate alien speak..... there's a REALLY simple solution to your problems. don't play that species!! omg i know, it's so cutting edge! but trust me, it works! and when you're spacebarring through your flashpoints, you still won't have to hear it! omg, right?

if people hate alien speak..... there's a REALLY simple solution to your problems. don't play that species!! omg i know, it's so cutting edge! but trust me, it works! and when you're spacebarring through your flashpoints, you still won't have to hear it! omg, right?

Although a good suggestion, it wouldn't work. See, in this MMO, conversations are VERY common in group activities. Despite whatever "I" select for a race, I'll be forced to listen to Greed'yo speak gibberish. I'm with Bioware on this one.

see though... you wouldn't be forced to listen to it. you can just spacebar... everyone spacebars now unless they're new. if you've already seen something, what is the point in not spacebarring? there's a clear choice on whether or not you listen to the alien's speech. and if it's something you haven't yet see, just space bar what they say and read it while they're letting it play out.

Although a good suggestion, it wouldn't work. See, in this MMO, conversations are VERY common in group activities. Despite whatever "I" select for a race, I'll be forced to listen to Greed'yo speak gibberish. I'm with Bioware on this one.

Of course, however, you wouldn't really experience significantly more of than you do now unless you ended up doing Flashpoints exclusively with Wookiee's and always lose the conversation /roll.