BW please answer why....

Keyran-Halcyon

So BW I am curious why this makes sense, that all the major AOE abilities have a huge target marker on the ground that the enemy can see? I mean it makes sense that I can see the target marker so I know where I am placing my Freighter fly by, BUT why can the enemy see it as well??? And there are plenty of other abilities that do the same thing; mortar volley, death from above, orbital strike, Sage quake and sorc lightening storm (don't know those abilities names)

To me this is just silly, its like placing a big sign telling the enemy to G.T.F.O or you will get hurt. Now why would I willingly want to inform my enemy that I am about to do damage to them? It makes sense that my team can see where I am placing a big AOE so they can maybe place theirs to overlap a node or something, but I cannot understand why the enemy is getting a big warning to not walk over there.

Same also goes for the Vanguard/Powertech's stealth detection ability. I mean as if the floating droids wasn't a big enough sign not to walk in that area, there is a big flashing rep/imp symbol on the ground.

Oh and in keeping with current PvP threads... Nerf smash monkeys :D

What? Why can you see what you're targeting? How is it you can see the enemy's HP and resource pool? Why is it you can see enemy status effects on them? How is it you can see the debuffs and such on you as well?

I mean really? This thread exists? Seriously?

The fact is that in most of other MMOs, you don't need these marks because the attack's visual effect is on the ground itself (like the ground burning, or the ground turning violet because of dark magic...). This kind of visual effects also say "get out of here or die".

But here the AoEs are much less noticable. Most of the time they come from the air (XS-stock Flyby and Orbital Strike) and sometimes their visual don't even strike at the same place (Mortar Volley or Death from Above)... And sometimes they come from the air and don't stike the ground at the same place (Lightning Storm). Whatever are their animations, AoEs in this game don't have an animation that lasts on the ground unlike in other games. That's probably the reason you're looking for, that justifies that there are ground targets visible for all.

I'll give you that Trooper's and Bounty Hunter's scan doesn't need a ground target as the scanning animation is constantly on the ground, and I think that because it's a tool to find the sneaky ones, the animation should be as sneaky as them so that there's a better chance that they get caught.

Edited by Altheran

What? Why can you see what you're targeting? How is it you can see the enemy's HP and resource pool? Why is it you can see enemy status effects on them? How is it you can see the debuffs and such on you as well?

I love the constructive answer, but seriously don't talk. I personally don't think there should be a big target marker telling the enemy where I am about to strike. If you disagree then fine, post a constructive comment instead of being a jack ***.

The fact is that in most of other MMOs, you don't need these marks because the attack's visual effect is on the ground itself (like the ground burning, or the ground turning violet because of dark magic...). This kind of visual effects also say "get out of here or die".

But here the AoEs are much less noticable. Most of the time they come from the air (XS-stock Flyby and Orbital Strike) and sometimes their visual don't even strike at the same place (Mortar Volley or Death from Above)... And sometimes they come from the air and don't stike the ground at the same place (Lightning Storm). Whatever are their animations, AoEs in this game don't have an animation that lasts on the ground unlike in other games. That's probably the reason you're looking for, that justifies that there are ground targets visible for all.

I'll give you that Trooper's and Bounty Hunter's scan doesn't need a ground target as the scanning animation is constantly on the ground, and I think that because it's a tool to find the sneaky ones, the animation should be as sneaky as them so that there's a better chance that they get caught.

I honestly don't remember if there is a warning before Freighter fly by, but the orbital strike and pretty much all the others have decent on ground warnings. But at least you have a better response. I just think its dumb to show a big neon symbol on the ground

It's probably fine that the indicators are there, but sometimes I think it gives too much warning in advance of say, the first strike of flyby. or the first show of DFA.

That's why I get irritated with it, I feel like every time I use my flyby. I click on the area I want to hit and immediately the symbol is on the ground, even though it takes me 3 sec to cast the attack. So that's a 3 sec warning to everyone to get out of the area.

To me it just makes these abilities somewhat useless, EXCEPT to keep a node/door from getting capped.

About that, have you tried a warzone with everything informative in the UI and nameplates turned off? I made the mistake of doing that once, came straight from a photo session where I for one or another reason had to turn off individual things instead of the entire UI. Anyhow, crazy hard, especially now when people arent wearing faction/class specific outfits.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This ground target effects make average player life in pvp easier, making even ground for them and so called "hardcore" players.

Developers think that average player needs this particular "crutch" to compete. We could argue or not, but it is their decision to make their game easier or harder to play in every aspect, including pvp.

If there would be no ground target for AoE channels/lasting abilities, players should be paying more attention to surroundings and animation, which would require more skill, especially for melee players, who often have small field of view on area.