Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

if you really hate the game so much quit.

I already canceled sub auto-renewal weeks ago.

If you truly hate it that much you would just quit instead of whinging on forums

Therein lies the problem. I love TOR. I complain because I care about what happens to TOR. If I didn't care, I'd be happily playing Diablo III and waiting for Mechwarrior Online, and Titan, among others without ever bothering to waste my time here.

Always funny how fanboys accuse others of "whining", but when they complain it's always "constructive criticism" about even more trivial issues. At least the labeled "haters" are complaining about the game or a company rather than being inward focused in attacking other players.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, check the username I'm that person - that's my thread! :-D I wrote it, it's my analysis, I've been updating it for weeks...

Trust me when I say, as the author of the thread you're citing to disprove me, that I know what I meant when I wrote it...

Paige

Wow, small world. That's hilarious. So the person I'm quoting is the same one complaining about how I used your estimates. This just adds even more emphasis that active players today are a very small percentage of active players at launch/

Wow, small world. That's hilarious. So the person I'm quoting is the same one complaining about how I used your estimates. This just adds even more emphasis that active players today are a very small percentage of active players at launch/

I'm completely mystified as to how you arrived at that... and it doesn't matter. Rock on with your bad self. Just please use the analysis for the things it was meant to do.

That analysis doesn't talk to subscriber numbers, just the number of simultaneous concurrent logins. We don't know the number of simultaneous concurrent logins at launch, or even two months ago, because I wasn't tracking it then, BW doesn't release that data, and torstatus doesn't show it. I've only got data for the last several weeks. Simultaneous concurrent logins have dropped from about 100k to about 60k. Given. We have the data that shows that to be true.

We have no way in the world to relate the number of simultaneous concurrent logins to subscriber numbers. Maybe people are subscribed and not playing as much. Could be that people are busy with finals. Could be that they're waiting for 1.3. Could be that they're playing Diablo. Could be that they're outside enjoying the lovely weather after being cooped up indoors all winter. Or it could be that they unsubscribed. We don't know and don't have any way to suss that out.

Paige

Edited by Scorpienne

I'm glad the majority of the people posting are having a positive atitude about this. I hope the transfers go smoothly it will be nice to get more then 4 or 5 wz's per day or find a group other then others from my raid to do stuff like lost island with.

I'm certainly preparing, for these transfers.

I have a list of five backup names per character, and a list of ten possible backup legacy names. I've also consulted with my best friend, whom I run all flashpoints and play the game with, and we have agreed to migrate to the same server if it becomes necessary to do so....or to stay if our server becomes an origin server.

We go to...or stay put....either way I'm ready.

Just waiting for the server list. :D

I already canceled sub auto-renewal weeks ago.

Therein lies the problem. I love TOR. I complain because I care about what happens to TOR. If I didn't care, I'd be happily playing Diablo III and waiting for Mechwarrior Online, and Titan, among others without ever bothering to waste my time here.

If you care then why are you using misguided stats and just ranting that they are ruining the game. It wasn't Bioware that pushed for all the extra servers it was EA and since there the ones that provide the servers for the game and have control of sales you should blame them not the DEV's of Bioware. They are doing there best to try and fix a broken situation.

Always funny how fanboys accuse others of "whining", but when they complain it's always "constructive criticism" about even more trivial issues. At least the labeled "haters" are complaining about the game or a company rather than being inward focused in attacking other players.

Not a fanboy sorry. I know swtor is semi broken as well as anyone else that is playing the game. I like many players are tring to ride out the storm to see if it can properly get on it's feet. Just like I did when Blizzard screwed up the end of Wrath and when they made matters even worse in Cata I promptly quit. I didn't go on thier forums and whine about how I thought they ruined the game because there are people that still enjoy it.

I will be on vacation during the server transfer time......through Sunday. I would like to know how long the window of opportunity will be to transfer your characters, since my server has 7 people on the fleet at peak times.

I will be on vacation during the server transfer time......through Sunday. I would like to know how long the window of opportunity will be to transfer your characters, since my server has 7 people on the fleet at peak times.

Well considering that they are only doing a few servers at a time you can't say but they did say that if your guild moves you will have the opertunity to move to the same server. Also I'm sure the transfers will be available for more then just a week. Have fun on your vacation.

I am a bit curious on why it is so hard to transfer char? I have been playing City of Heroes for 8 years, when they added char transfers, it was less than 5 mins. now 2+years later it takes only about 1 min and it has been all automated from day 1. unless iI am mistaken our chars are part of a database, and some field has the server name. that is the only thing they are changing, I could see stuff on the GTN being a bit of a problem. well we should know by the 13 how things are going.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4557046#edit4557046

"Additionally, players need not worry about rushing to transfer as free character transfers between selected servers will remain available for as long as it is needed to help balance server populations naturally. Rest assured that if we ever decide to stop this free character transfer service, players will be given plenty of advanced notice. "

That analysis doesn't talk to subscriber numbers, just the number of simultaneous concurrent logins.

We have no way in the world to relate the number of simultaneous concurrent logins to subscriber numbers.

So well over 1 million subscribers at launch. How many of those subscribed players do you really think is going to miss out on launch or the weekend, prime time right after launch? Use a little logic: a small fraction. Yes it's a guess, but given MMO gamer habits, it's a safe one. We're probably still batting around a million concurrent connections. Remember all of the lovely login queues on almost EVERY server?

And now we have these concurrent connections that measure in the low-end thousands. And I apologize, I misread your numbers in that thread. I actually OVERESTIMATED the number because I thought your two lists were unique, but instead they include a lot of the same servers. So instead of 25k, we're probably closer to 12-15k for the top ten servers. Add another 5k of dead server concurrent connections for good measure and you're still at 20k or less. That's 2% of a million.

Could be that people are busy with finals. Could be that they're waiting for 1.3. Could be that they're playing Diablo. Could be that they're outside enjoying the lovely weather after being cooped up indoors all winter. Could be that they unsubscribed. We don't know and don't have any way to suss that out.

True. But let's remove the "waiting for 1.3" example, as there's no new content, so what's to wait for? There's probably still a good chunk of subscribers who are waiting for a huge change in TOR to ever bother playing again. I know I'm one of them.

Even if people are not on TOR because of those reasons, that's still 2% or so of what we experienced at launch.

If Blizzard lost 98% of their active, concurrent connection WoW numbers (note: I am NOT a WoW player) over the course of a couple months, we'd see not only a huge media storm, but a ton of work to get WoW players back. So what do we see with Bioware and TOR? Layoffs, a server-transfer-on-rails, and a VERY underwhelming 1.3. Not very impressive.

That's still a Titanic.

Edited by cipher_nemo

...we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers in order to provide a better gameplay experience for our players by ensuring population balance across the service.

I think a lot of people will be upset when they find out they can not move to populated servers like The Fatman, but are limited to a less populate server in the hope it will be fill it up.

From my reading, even high-population servers may become destination servers, as they'll be expanding the total user numbers.

The problem is the definition of high. Do you really think the will allow e.g. Fatman as a destination server? No way! The Server is already at its limits. They will not make the Top5 Servers destination Servers, for sure! What they fail to realize is that tons of people who rerolled there and just want their other toons on that server will NOT make the population grow. So they should allow transfers to this servers but only if you already have a char with a certain lvl or some chars that reach a certain legacy lvl there. Like for the free 30days sub. 1 lvl 50 or 2 lvl 30 or smth like that.

I want full servers really, but i DO NOT want 3 chars on 3 full servers, i want all my chars on 1 full server.:rak_08:

BW... you just couldnt make it easy could you? Im on the Trask Ulgo RP server, and I have in mind the Red Eclipse PvE server to transfer to...but that wont happen will it as the Red Eclipse server is the 2nd most populated EU server. I'm sorry... but i'd rather que 10-20 minutes each log on to play on a populated server with actual poeple, than log in straight away to a desert land with a few people at times. I'm just hoping that the Trask Ulgo server is one of those being targeted to transfer TO as I dont want to start over, re-name my legacy or even my character names as thats part of the character/backstory

As buggy and quiet the game is... I still love playing it, but I have a bad feeling that BW will somehow find a way to **** up even the simplest task of transfering a single charceter to another server

Legacy name: Buuro

Characters:

Rep side: Kal'ver - Vih'torr - Xill Imp side: Káidén - Zeronine - Tressk - C'ade -Tephros

PLEASE

Merge Krayiss Obelisk to Shadow Hand.

I rerolled on Shadow hand because my server was just about dead and Shadow hand was very active. It's almost as dead as my old server now and I've been playing on The Fatman instead. There's no chance of me getting a transfer to The Fatman, it's a PvP server and my other 2 are PvE. But I'd be much more likely to go back to playing my other characters if they were on the same server. Otherwise, I'll simply stick to The Fatman. A lot of players will do the same.

Heh, check the username I'm that person - that's my thread! :-D I wrote it, it's my analysis, I've been updating it for weeks...

Trust me when I say, as the author of the thread you're citing to disprove me, that I know what I meant when I wrote it...

Paige

That dude just got burned worse than Anakin on Mustafar.

I am a bit curious on why it is so hard to transfer char? I have been playing City of Heroes for 8 years, when they added char transfers, it was less than 5 mins. now 2+years later it takes only about 1 min and it has been all automated from day 1. unless iI am mistaken our chars are part of a database, and some field has the server name. that is the only thing they are changing, I could see stuff on the GTN being a bit of a problem. well we should know by the 13 how things are going.

This is all well and good, right up until you add Legacy levels into the mix. At that point, you can't simply transfer characters over without losing massive amounts of Legacy XP and perks.

Once Legacy is added, now the entire process becomes a "Sort And Compare" operation... where the existing characters on the destination server need to be loaded, analyzed, and then compared to the incoming characters from the origin server, to determine total analytics and figure out which Legacy level is being adopted, which Legacy perks and unlocks from one server get initiated over on the other server, etc.

This analytics process is the bear. I suspect this City of Heroes game has nothing like Legacy bunking up the works. And even you admit that they had to ADD character transfers into the system, meaning it wasn't there at launch, even as simple as it was on their servers.

This is all well and good, right up until you add Legacy levels into the mix. At that point, you can't simply transfer characters over without losing massive amounts of Legacy XP and perks.

Once Legacy is added, now the entire process becomes a "Sort And Compare" operation... where the existing characters on the destination server need to be loaded, analyzed, and then compared to the incoming characters from the origin server, to determine total analytics and figure out which Legacy level is being adopted, which Legacy perks and unlocks from one server get initiated over on the other server, etc.

This analytics process is the bear. I suspect this City of Heroes game has nothing like Legacy bunking up the works. And even you admit that they had to ADD character transfers into the system, meaning it wasn't there at launch, even as simple as it was on their servers.

^^ This. BioWare tested server transfer software in closed beta, and it was quite successful. However, even the devs stated that Legacy complicates the transfers.

We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.

Everytime I read that line from the announcement I just get angrier and angrier. I can undertstand moving the dead servers first they should be priority their gameplay and fun is affected the most but your pretty much telling another section of the population you only want their money for their woes. Its a load of bullcrap.

Please get your crap together and do another round of free transfers for those that isn't getting to transfer originally giving some people some ability to increase their enjoyment of gameplay as well. Right now I see no future increase of fun for me. If my fun can't increase my funds will atleast increase 15 dollars a month when my sub runs out next month.

And dont jerk us around about it..we've all had just about enough of that.

Edited by Kindara

Is there any possibility that we can receive a list of only those servers that will be source servers early? I understand that BW is trying to avoid a mass number of people logging on to other servers to secure names/ scope out the planet/ exploit the economy. I also see no problem with knowing what planets have been declared as "abandon ship". Not much people can do beside get the word out to others on the servers and prepare for the jump.

I would very much appreciated knowing this for the sake of making any preperations needed for organizing my own and fellow friend characters for transfer if the need arises.

Edited by Codek

The reports now seem to say that I, for certain, cannot choose the server where my characters will go.

This is a bad thing, Bioware. I have two level 50's and a fairly high legacy on a dead PVP server. Since the server died I have been enjoying the game, as Bioware instructed. I now have six mid level alts with very good crafting skills to complement my mains on a mid load RP-PVP server. I have used quite a bit of time and effort to level the characters and especially their crafting skills. I was fully expecting to pay for the transfer of my mains.

So, apparently I am stuck? I won't level another batch of six alts and their crafting skills from scratch and I can't see any mention of paid transfers to a server of my own choosing. I hope that I am mistaken, but this is the last straw if I am not. Make no mistake about it.

Here, here. I totally agree that EA should be offering gratis, entire guild transfers. As is pointed out in this post, EA/BW were the ones that decided which server guilds were assigned to anyway.

I think line item #8 (Guilds will not be transferred) is a bad decision on EA/BioWare's part...Guilds are the strongest part of the community, and they deserve to be transferred to higher population servers gratis. ESPECIALLY since many of them were placed on the origin server by EA/BioWare.

Failure to acknowledge the importance of guilds and the need to move them for free appears to be a little more than a cash grab decision from the customer/player-base point-of-view...Greed is not what is needed here, and cost deferment to offset the labor is not the solution to the current drought of players on 95% of SWTOR servers. The current players and their guilds are not the parties responsible for the state of the server populations.

In the current situation, OUTSTANDING customer service is needed above all things! This is even more true when dealing with loyal customers. I would suggest that guilds with more than 10 or more active players should be moved for free...yes, EA/BioWare misses out on a bunch of transfer fees, but they would certainly retain entire swathes of players for rendering good customer service.

The SWTOR team has sensibly acknowledged loyal customers before, it is time for them to do so again. Speak up for a sensible need for free guild transfers!

You guys really underdelivered here, you know that?

You promised transfers coming soon, so that friends could play with friends, and all get together on the same server.

My guild, being on a dying PvE server, and wanting to make the eventual move to a PVP server, had to make a call based on the information you gave. Being the GM, I rolled another toon on a better (but not heavy, as we took that into consideration as possibly being restricted) populated server, which was RP-PVP. I did this shortly before 1.2 hit. I restarted the guild and started recruiting there, with the promise to my members that transfers were coming in summer, and the rest of our guild members would join us then. My original members? No longer able to queue up, have stopped playing, with the plans of coming back at 1.3, when these transfers were promised. I was going to transfer my other character as well, and planned to pay for it.

Now, transfers are coming on time as promised, but they are free only with heavy restrictions. I understand a heavy population restriction. Having a pool of choices for servers to transfer to within the population restriction restraints would have been perfect. Instead, you tell us which servers are even available to transfer from, and then which ones we can go to. To top it off, PvP servers are not an option now as the guild was originally formed on a PvE server.

Now, rated matches are going to start, and several of my core members on the other server are permanently unsubbing due to the vague statement of a possible future of paid transfers with no foreseeable ETA.

Now I'm short members, and the guys I've reformed the guild with on the other server won't get what was promised to help support the guild in rated WZ's.

The crappiest part about it? I like my guild, but my core members are real life friends who I've been gaming with for years. Now I'm torn between staying with my guild and riding this out to see where the game ends up, or joining my friends in another game.

I've been with you since the start BW. Stuck up for you plenty of times, even sometimes while having to grit my teeth slightly, but I've stuck by you. And yet here we are again, with another overpromised and underdelivered situation. It's unacceptable service.

So now will you give us cross-server LFG? Because there is no *********** way that enough people are going to transfer to a destination server to keep queue times low. Or are your EA masters just wanting you to make people pay to transfer where they actually want to go. Way to over-promise again.

They'll give it to us in the same amount of time it took Blizzard to give it to us, Approx 5 years.