Analytical Marksmanship Dummy and Raiding Guide

DieGhostDie

As of 3.0, this guide will no longer be relevant. Expect a new 3.0 guide coming soon™

For the Republic counterpart, Sharpshooter, click here.

Hello, community. I've decided to make my own version of the Marksmanship Guide. The guide will focus on a typical static rotation as well as my personal take on bosses in the current Nightmare Operations: Dread Fortress and Dread Palace.

Introductions:

My name is Shulk, but nowadays, I main a Gunslinger named Prompto so you can call me either or. I am currently part of the 8-man progression group in <Intrepid> of the Harbinger server. I am 5/5 in Nightmare Dread Fortress and 4/5 in Nightmare Dread Palace. Right now, I have no further plans of progressing as I am taking a short hiatus from the game due to real life obligations. As such, I will simply be answering questions about my experience with the spec.

Records:

Current Sharpshooter Parse: http://www.torparse.com/a/729931/13/0/Overview (3846 DPS (*3864 DPS for World DPS from TTK Calculations))

AMR: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/f82de81d-ad42-4c6a-a5e3-77ea0a558594

Overview:

The spec will take a very specific analysis on a Marksmanship Sniper. Much credits go to SamuelAU (aka Gomerik of <The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>) for making the basics of Marksmanship from his guide here (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=657177) . Overall, this guide is an updated compilation for 2.9 and beyond with his recommended rotations as well as my approach on dummies and raid bosses for the current Nightmare operations: Dread Fortress and Dread Palace

The Basics:

The Spec: 36/3/7 (http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/f82de81d-ad42-4c6a-a5e3-77ea0a558594)

Stat priority:

Accuracy: (100% Ranged / 110% Tech) = 180 Gear (5 LVL 34 Advanced Initiative Enhancements will bring you to this goal) 186 Gear (4/5 LVL 36 Advanced Initiative Enhancements + LVL28 Accuracy Augment (if 4 ACC enhancments))

Critical Rating: 100-230 Crit = 180 Gear (3 LVL 34 Advanced Battle Enhancements) 186 Gear (3 LVL 36 Advanced Battle Enhancements)

Surge: Around 73-75% Surge (Should be reachable with Battle Enhancements and left side BiS Accessories)

Alacrity: 0 (Adding Alacrity will serve to complicate rotations further)

Augments:

a.)All Cunning

b.)Cunning + 1 Accuracy Augment (Only use this if you have enough accuracy aka 4 LVL 36 Advanced Initiative Enhancements)

There is no such thing as a perfect approach when it comes augment optimization. Choose whatever you feel is the best for your playstyle.

Gear:

PvE 4 Set Bonus is a must in order to be viable

Relics: Dread Forged/Dread Master Relics of Focused Retribution and Serendipitous Assault

(Go with Focused Retribution first as it has bigger gains than an SA relic. However, if, for example, you have a Obroan SA Relic + Dread Forged FR Relic and you just won a Dread Master relic, I recommend getting a DM SA relic as it is obviously a bigger upgrade)

Notable Talents

Ballistic Dampeners: Entering cover grants 3 charges of Ballistic Dampers. Each charge absorbs [15 / 30]% of the damage dealt by an incoming attack. This effect cannot occur more than once every 1.5 seconds. Ballistic Dampers can only be gained once every 6 seconds.

One of the best defensive talents in the Marksmanship Tree. Typically, all other specs would sacrifice 2 points for extra survivability. For Marksmanship, this is mandatory so put 2 full points in.

Cover Screen: When exiting cover, you have a [50 / 100]% chance to gain Cover Screen, increasing ranged defense by 20% for 6 seconds.

While having 20% ranged damage reduction is nice, Ballistic Dampeners is far superior than Cover Screen. For this reason, Cover Screen is left with only 1 point.

Snap Shot: Entering cover has a [50 / 100]% chance to make the next Snipe activate instantly. This effect cannot occur more than once every 6 seconds.

In very limited burn phases, this can be quite useful. A GCD (1.5 seconds) can mean a difference between a wipe or a kill (ex. Raptus DPS Challenges). For this reason, I would recommend putting full points into this talent. Otherwise, it's your choice. Alternatively, you can put 1 point from Snap Shot and into Cover Screen for 100% chance if you so desire.

Seek Cover: When Entrench ends or you leave cover while Entrench is active, you have a [50 / 100]% chance to gain Seek Cover, which increases your movement speed by 50% and grants immunity to movement impairing effects. Lasts 6 seconds.

Paired with other talents that increase Entrench capabilities, this is one of the most useful talents. With 2.7's change, you can infinitely abuse this talent to maximum heights. Simply re-enter and exit cover and your 6 second Speed Boost duration will reset. Absolutely useful in certain situations where Speed Boost is needed.

Siege Bunker: Reduces all area effect damage taken by [30 / 60]% while Entrench is active.

The greatest defensive talent Marksmanship utility has to offer. 60% AoE Damage reduction is ridiculously overpowered, especially when it comes to fights like Nightmare Brontes.

Portable Bunker: Increases the duration of Entrench by 3 seconds. In addition, when you enter cover after using Covered Escape, you can Entrench for the first 3 seconds.

A nice bonus to Covered Escape. Tied with Seek Cover, you'll quick gain 6 seconds after your mini-Entrench ends. Unfortunately, if you already have Entrench activated, this is pretty much null. If possible, use it after Entrench ends for maximum defensive capabilities (unless greater situations demand the use of Covered Escape).

Key Abilities:

Diversion: Throws a smoking canister at the target, reducing its accuracy by 45% for 9 seconds and exposing the target from cover for 6 seconds. Cannot be used on Operation bosses.

A common misconception from most Snipers is that it is virtually useless to use in a raid situation, given that it "cannot be used on Operation bosses".

Wrong.

Diversion is far more superior than one can think. It doesn't work on bosses, but it does work on adds, especially Champion adds that pose serious problems to the entire raid. With 45% Accuracy Reduction, it serves as a defensive cooldown for the entire raid team, but especially for tanks and yourself. For this reason, it's extremely mandatory to take this talent. The benefits are greater than one may think of its "uselessness".

Followthrough: Fires a well-controlled follow-up shot at the target that deals X weapon damage. Only usable within the 5 seconds immediately following a Snipe, Ambush, Takedown or a complete Series of Shots.

The core ability of the Marksmanship Sniper. Generally, this is one of your most damaging abilities in your rotation. You'll be using this very often after using two Snipes, Ambush, and a Series of Shots thanks to the talent, Recoil Control.

Sniper Volley: Immediately finishes the cooldown of Series of Shots, increases base energy regeneration rate by 2 per second, and increases alacrity by 10%. Lasts 15 seconds.

The best ability in terms of offense and energy management. You can cast two Series of Shots when it comes off cooldown.

The Rotation:

Orbital Strike -> Ambush -> Corrosive Dart + Adrenal -> Explosive Probe + Target Acquired -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough + Sniper Volley -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough -> Snipe x2 -> Followthrough -> Ambush -> Corrosive Dart -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough -> Snipe x2 -> Orbital Strike -> Followthrough -> Ambush -> Explosive Probe + Adrenaline Probe -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots ->Corrosive Dart -> Followthrough -> Snipe x2 -> Followthrough -> Ambush -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough + Burst Volley -> Series of Shots -> Corrosive Dart -> Followthrough -> Snipe x2 -> Orbital Strike -> Followthrough -> Explosive Probe -> Ambush -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough...and so on.

The Orbital Strike + Ambush combo is your standard opener (as with all other specs in the Sniper tree). In raid situations, this may change from simply opening up either Orbital Strike or Ambush (ex. Nightmare Draxus: I use Ambush instead as my opener to save my Orbital Strike for adds in Phase 2). After your combo opener, you want to go for Explosive Probe (combo with Target Acquired afterwards for maximum energy gain and armor reduction bonus) and Corrosive Dart as soon as possible to get the maximum damage output as well as laying out a longer, sustained, and fluid rotation of fillers. Proceed with using Series of Shots afterwards.

Analytical Rotation Breakdown:

Let's breakdown the rotation into simpler concepts. We'll start with our top tier talent: Sniper Volley

//Sniper Volley//

Sniper Volley: Immediately finishes the cooldown of Series of Shots, increases base energy regeneration rate by 2 per second, and increases alacrity by 10%. Lasts 15 seconds. Cooldown: 45 seconds

With Sniper Volley having a 45 second cooldown, you have about 3 repeated sequences to cycle through before your Sniper Volley comes off cooldown again. What does the sequence entail?

One Sequence (in order of abilities):

Snipe -> Snipe -> Followthrough -> Ambush -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough -> Corrosive Dart (can be placed anywhere in your rotation as long as it occupies a GCD before your next ability is off CD)

What I just stated should be the ideal order of abilities you should always, always, ALWAYS follow. Any alteration of this basic sequence (i.e. Ambush -> Snipe x2 -> SoS) will lead to an obvious DPS loss. No exceptions.

Within the sequence contains fillers. You have three fillers to work with (four in a raid setting, provided if you are the only player capable of applying an Armor Debuff)

//Orbital Strike, Explosive Probe, Corrosive Dart, and Shatter Shot//

Orbital Strike: Orbital Strike is still useful to a degree. In fact, it is more as a reliable filler than one make think. For this reason, whether it is for single-target or AoE targets, you want to use this on cooldown whenever appropriate. With the reduced energy cost of 10 and a 1.5 second channel thanks to Sector Ranger talent, it's definitely worth the damage.

Alternatively, some Marksmanship snipers would prefer using Orbital Strike for filler means. In most logs, Orbital Strike is used five times rather than using it all the time on cool down. Either approach works for the best of your play style. In my personal preference, using Orbital on cooldown has worked well for me.

Explosive Probe: Since the Orbital Strike nerf, Explosive Probe has been somewhat a near-compensation for the damage. Unfortunately, no talents within Marksmanship boosts this ability. With that said, to keep up with the uptime of damage, you must use this as an optimal filler. To use this, place it within the burst volley window. The way to maximize energy regen is to do the following:

Series of Shots -> Corrosive Dart -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough -> Explosive Probe -> Sequence

With this approach, you will have no problems being energy starved from using Explosive Probe and you won't have to worry about dipping under 60 energy. Also, if you have Adrenaline Probe off cool down, I recommend using it as soon as Explosive Probe comes off cool down (and vice-versa for Adrenaline Probe too, if Explosive Probe is already off cool down).

Corrosive Dart: Corrosive Dart is naturally part of the sequence. However, using too much of it will complicate Energy Problems. In respect, I only use Corrosive Dart for two sequences at some point in my log rotation in order to stabilize energy levels. You can also change it around to suit your rotation needs.

Shatter Shot: For dummy parsing, this is pretty much a null-and-void filler since you typically have an Armor Debuff on the dummy.

In raids, if you're the only Sniper providing the debuff, then this becomes a filler in your rotation. As such for opening up your Max DPS rotation, simply replace Corrosive Dart with Shatter Shot and you can perform the rotation smoothly. Additionally, if your Armor Debuff starts to wear off within your sequence, you can simply re-apply in lieu of Corrosive Dart (unless you have much energy to spare and you still have a GCD or two left on your next ability).

//Ambush//

Something I have found out while endlessly parsing in my Marksmanship spec is that typically, Ambush is always the ability that will still be on cooldown. Think of Ambush as the "peak" of the sequence. In my definition of this, after flushing out the rotation, I often will have a GCD or 2 of Ambush left on cooldown until it pops out. This means after activating Ambush, the rotation goes on like a "smooth, downhill slope" before coming back up to the "peak" of the hill again. This mindset definitely helped in adjusting my rotations and I hope this will be of great use to your parsing knowledge.

Ideally, after using Series of Shots, your Ambush cooldown should be around less than 5 seconds by the time you channel Snipe.

//Target Acquired//

Target Acquired: Increases ranged and tech accuracy by 30% and armor penetration by 15% for 10 seconds.

My firm use for Target Acquired would always be to use it with Series of Shots + Sniper Volley as appropriate as you can. However, with the PvE 4 set piece, you can use it for energy positive means. Ideally, when parsing on a dummy, you will have three chances of using it: The MAX DPS rotation, the middle of the rotation, and the sub 30% Takedown rotation. Allow me to describe how I place my Target Acquired accordingly via my log.

1.) I use it after I pop Explosive Probe in the beginning burst. This is to nearly negate its overwhelming 25 Energy Cost and allows you to stay about 60 energy. I proceed to go about with my Series of Shots + Sniper Volley rotation afterwards as soon as possible. (In my latest log, you can see I went for Followthrough instead of pressing Explosive Probe. That was a minor mistake in my rotation.)

2.) In the middle of the rotation, I actually use Corrosive Dart in transition from my second to third sequence. While this would potentially dip down below 60 energy, I still have Target Acquired off cool down. Here I do this:

Snipe -> Snipe -> (Target Acquired) Followthrough -> (Target Acquired)Ambush -> Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Followthrough/Sniper Volley -> Series of Shots -> Corrosive Dart -> Followthrough -> Explosive Probe

With Target Acquired's 15 Energy Gain and 20% Armor Penetration combined with Ambush (or earlier from Followthrough), provided if it crits, I would have made a bigger sustainability in my DPS parse. Depending on where you stand in energy levels, popping Target Acquired in preferred spots in parentheses is ideal.

LOG:

11:55:40.547 Prompto activates Vital Shot.

11:55:40.547 Prompto spends 16 energy.

11:55:42.143 Prompto activates Trickshot.

11:55:42.144 Prompto spends 5 energy.

11:55:42.388 Prompto's Trickshot hits Operations Training Dummy for 2973 energy damage, causing 2973 threat.

11:55:42.389 Prompto's Trickshot hits Operations Training Dummy for 281 energy damage, causing 281 threat.

11:55:42.742 Prompto's XS Freighter Flyby hits Operations Training Dummy for 1364 elemental damage, causing 1364 threat.

11:55:43.643 Prompto activates Charged Burst.

11:55:43.843 Prompto's Bleeding (Tech) critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 1369* internal damage, causing 1369 threat!

11:55:45.178 Prompto spends 15 energy.

11:55:45.178 Prompto gains Charged Aim.

11:55:45.179 Prompto loses Smuggler's Luck.

11:55:45.180 Prompto gains Trickshot.

11:55:45.182 Prompto activates Charged Burst.

11:55:45.391 Prompto's Charged Burst critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 5239* energy damage, causing 5239 threat!

11:55:45.391 Prompto's Charged Burst critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 416* energy damage, causing 416 threat!

11:55:45.795 Prompto gains Power Surge.

11:55:45.796 Prompto's XS Freighter Flyby hits Operations Training Dummy for 1364 elemental damage, causing 1364 threat.

11:55:46.670 Prompto spends 15 energy.

11:55:46.672 Prompto loses Smoking Barrels.

11:55:46.792 Prompto activates Illegal Mods.

11:55:46.792 Prompto gains 15 energy.

11:55:46.793 Prompto gains Illegal Mods.

11:55:46.838 Prompto's Bleeding (Tech) hits Operations Training Dummy for 865 internal damage, causing 865 threat.

11:55:46.878 Prompto's Charged Burst hits Operations Training Dummy for 3311 energy damage, causing 3311 threat.

11:55:46.879 Prompto's Charged Burst hits Operations Training Dummy for 247 energy damage, causing 247 threat.

11:55:46.957 Prompto activates Trickshot.

11:55:46.958 Prompto spends 5 energy.

11:55:46.958 Prompto gains Smoking Barrels.

11:55:47.196 Prompto's Trickshot critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 6691* energy damage, causing 6691 threat!

11:55:47.197 Prompto's Trickshot critically hits Operations Training Dummy for 628* energy damage, causing 628 threat!

11:55:48.565 Prompto activates Aimed Shot.

3.) During the sub 30% Takedown, it's ultimately your choice. You can either use it for the Series of Shots + Sniper Volley combo, or you can use it for Energy Gain purposes as the Execute phase is more energy starved than the normal rotation, provided if you strictly replace Followthrough with Takedown and move on to your next ability. In my log, I simply went for Target Acquired after my Series of Shots just for the hell of it. :p

//Laze Target//

As with other Sniper specs, you obviously want to use this on cool down the entire time. I would say activate Laze Target after the "Orbital Strike -> Ambush -> Corrosive Dart -> Explosive Probe/Target Acquired -> Followthrough" opener. The flow of activating it will be much easier from there. Ideally, you can save this cool down for important burst-heavy fights like Brontes and Raptus challenges.

//The Sub-30% Takedown Rotation//

When 30% comes, Takedown becomes available for use. This modifies your use of Followthroughs to a degree. In other words, you will be replacing Followthrough with Takedown provided if it comes off cool down. For example, this would go like this:

Series of Shots -> Takedown -> Snipe x2 -> Followthrough -> Corrosive Dart -> Ambush- > Followthrough -> Series of Shots -> Takedown

This is statistically proven to yield the highest possible DPS (credited to Claimed of <Phobos> for finding this out). In extreme burn phases, this is especially useful as Takedown has a higher damage power than Followthrough itself.

However, using Takedown + Followthrough is also good for subbing in fillers. While you don't want to simply use Followthrough > Takedown > Followthrough, using just two abilities is enough to maintain some positive uptime, energy levels, and smoothing out the rotation. I found that this works extremely well in case my energy levels dip down below 70%.

//Dummy Rotation vs Raid Rotation//

Raids are never the perfect world. All MMO's aren't. Factors that prevent raids from being a perfect world for a dummy rotation are mechanics, RNG, raid composition, awareness, and strategy. Unfortunately, the dummy rotation isn't perfect. In raids, there are many situations where it won't cut it from being absolutely perfect. You must be absolutely smart on when you need to activate a certain cool down and when you want to have a bigger uptime on whatever enemy you need to take care of.

In this case, whenever you are lost in your rotation flow, always remember the following priority of skills.

1.) Shatter Shot (if you're the only raider capable of Armor Penetration)

2.) Series of Shots // Sniper Volley // Target Acquired (Imperative to use it with Series of Shots + Snipe Volley or if you're running low on Energy)

3.) Corrosive Dart (for longer uptime for bosses with higher health)

4.) Takedown (Has a higher priority than Followthrough. Skip FT and move on to your next skill)

5.) Followthrough

6.) Explosive Probe (if above 90 Energy or with Energy Positive CDs)

7.) Orbital Strike (for adds or to promote more uptime)

8.) Snipe // Ambush (if already have two Zeroing Shots)

9.) Ambush (from the two Snipes. Priority may be switched around with Snipe if you already have two Zeroing Shots)

//Tab Targeting//

Tab Targeting is the greatest feature for all ranged burst classes (i.e. Arsenal Mercenaries and Lightning Sorcerers). In this case, Marksmanship, in my biased opinion, has the greatest tab targeting flow out of all three burst classes. The thing you want to realize is that three of our abilities, Snipe, Ambush, and Series of Shots, give you a window of opportunity to use such trick. Let's map out the basics:

Snipe: 1.5 seconds to cast. Instant if Snap Shot (6 second ICD)

Ambush: 2.5 seconds to cast. 1.5 seconds if already casted two Snipes (via Zeroing Shots)

Series of Shots: 3 second channeling ability. 2.1 seconds with Recoil Control (30% Channeling Speed = -0.9 seconds)

With this, you can be creative with your tab targeting. For example, let's say you target one add with Snipe. While channeling, I would quick tab target to another add and hotkey another Snipe in queue. This way, I would hit the first Snipe on the first add, then I would be channeling my second Snipe on the second add. While in queue, I would quick tab target to the third add and hotkey Followthrough afterwards, so the second Snipe would hit the second add, and my Followthrough would hit the third add.

Use the channeling times to your knowledge to time the exact precision of your tab targeting skills, and you'll be able to master them in no time.

Videos:

Marksmanship Rotation:

Tab Targeting Example:

Raiding Tips:

1.) Corrosive Dart is your key ability for sustained uptime on a boss. If you think a boss or add will die in a matter of short seconds, do not use Corrosive dart. Otherwise, it is better to use it on a boss that will live in a long run.

2.) Explosive Probe should be used in intense burn phases where adds are needed to be killed ASAP. In respect, use it when your Energy is very high (>90%) or when you have any Energy Positive Cooldowns ready (Sniper Volley, Adrenaline Probe, or Target Acquired).

3.) Don't meter pad during progression please. Somewhat unrelated to this, but we Snipers are naturally desperate for higher numbers. However, progression is about overcoming a challenge, not as a joke to be taken lightly. That said, do it after progression. :)

4.) If the raid asks for the AoE Shield, use it immediately. Don't focus on parsing for yourself when the overall group needs it for survivability. If you have more than one sniper in a raid group, coordinate with other fellow Snipers who pops their AoE shield first.

5.) Tab targeting is our special perk for Marksmanship snipers. Get used to cycling targets using the Tab key and you'll automatically target another add. It takes a lot of practice, but eventually this will be all muscle memory to you. In my opinion, Brontes is the best boss fight to practice optimal tab targeting.

Raids:

(For the sake of the thread, I'm only going to focus on Marksmanship spec only.)

Nightmare Dread Fortress:

Nefra: Nefra is laughably the training dummy itself. You can request your tanks to hold off pulling the boss by using the standard Orbital Strike -> Ambush combo to achieve the maximum DPS possible. The challenge of this fight is obviously looking out for the Voice of the Masters debuff cleansing, the Nightmare Twin Attack, and explosive droids. Covered Escape is ironically the filler itself to continue on your rotation, provided if you use it to escape from exploding droids or after grouping up for the twin attack. Other than that, you'll have yourself a very competitive parse for yourself to loathe over.

If you are responsible for kiting the droids, this is where Tab targeting comes into play. The challenge is to tab target the incoming droid with Followthrough or Rifle Shots in order to streamline your sequence of rotations. Occasionally, due to weird threat tables, the droid will go to the tanks instead of you. In that case, tab target to Nefra and continue your assault while looking out for more droids.

Draxus: Marksmanship is very much favored in this fight (aside from Engineering which will be viable in 2.10) For starters, you want to save your Orbital for the adds in Phase 2, so for this reason, open up with Ambush on Draxus, then proceed with the standard MAX DPS rotation. For every phase, always use Series of Shots as a priority first to start your rotation.

P.1: As explained before.

P.2: When adds are bunched up, use your Orbital Strike and other AoE abilities (i.e. Fragmentation Grenade and Suppressive Fire) for maximum damage. I typically pop my Adrenal here to increase the damage as a plus.

P.3: Your Orbital Strike should come off CD at this point, so use it again on the Dispatchers (and Subterroths for a bigger plus). Open up with Series of Shots and Cycle your rotation from there.

P.4: In this phase, Draxus comes down. Pop your Entrench as soon as possible to avoid being pulled in. You should be able to execute the Corruptor as soon as possible then focus on Draxus ASAP.

P.5: If you are the player responsible for getting the Dispatcher, do NOT have Entrench active. Click off your Entrench icon and let the Dispatcher knock you back. Failure to do this will result in a KO.

P.6: Set your Orbital on the south side and burn the Corruptor on your side. Proceed to burn down the Bulwark afterwards, and then, if your raid leader desires, pop your Ballistic Shield on the tank.

P.7: Ideally, you want to focus on the Despoiler and interrupt his Dark Infusion cast. Be on a lookout for interrupting the Corruptor, then burn down the Bulwark before he enrages. Keep Entrench active if Draxus is still present.

P.8: This is a good idea to pop your Entrench here in case you get unlucky of being slammed by Guardians. Also, Diversion works wonders on them in case your tanks are melting really fast.

P.9: Nothing special. Simply Orbital on the group and burn down which Corruptor of your choice while working with your interrupt orders. In this iteration, damage is virtually laughable without the Nightmare Power.

P.10: This is the last and somewhat a chaotic phase. You want to first burn down the Corruptor add then the Dispatchers. Pop your Entrench and Ballistic Shield while having Diversion prepared in case your raid is struggling with the Guardians and Draxus himself. Other than that, nothing really too difficult. The enrage is pretty much negligible provided if you have the whole raid team alive.

Grob'Thok (aka Johnny Grob'Thok): Grob'Thok is all about AoE Damage via Pipe Smashes and Overhead Smashes which can certainly be a pain for ranged channeling classes. Fortunately, Entrench is the best perk of the spec so always have it on cool down as much as possible. This way, you won't have to worry about being interrupted half the time during the duration. The only mechanic (and perhaps the most annoying) you have to watch out for is the Magma Droid. If you happen to be the unlucky one, don't try to be cocky and continue your rotation. Move out and simply Corrosive Dart and Followthrough the boss. In between the magma placement, you can try to utilize the Snap Shot talent to get an occasional Snipe in to promote more uptime.

Tip (credited to Shay'm): Using Entrench on the last second of Pipe Smash will give you the knock up immunity for the duration of Pipe Smash and the following Overhead Smash after the magnet is destroyed. It's off CD for every Pipe Smash. You can also Corrosive Dart/Shatter Shot (if required by your group) and roll into the middle of the room during the pull to get the 3 second Entrench from Portable Bunker to resist the first Overhead Smash.

Corruptor Zero: Again Marksmanship comes handy for adds and AoE damage. If you are the person responsible for staying out of the raid group for better control of Corruptor Mines, you'll have an easier time cleansing via Covered Escape. Use Orbital mostly for adds and tab target from the Gold Add to Repair Bots and to Silver adds. Keep your defensives up the entire time as there is some AoE damage involved every once in a while. Occasionally, you may need to pop Ballistic Shield when melee adds come, but generally speaking, survivability shouldn't be the issue in this fight.

Brontes: Marksmanship is where it prides itself to bringing the maximum DPS potential out of all ranged classes. Tactics are split for each phase.

P.1: You'll immediately start off on fingers. Pop your Orbital Strike on the initial spawn point of the hand then tab target to the nearest finger and open up with the Series of Shots + Sniper Volley combo. Depending on the location, you may need to Cover Escape to the back of the map for the fingers. Other than that, continue on with your rotation. You should ideally save Cover Escape in case you get the Energy Orb (in order to negate the damage from Cover Escape, you must be within about 4m-6m of the orb then activate it against its direction).

P.2: The 7 reach phase will instantaneously slow you down. Fortunately, this is where the Entrench Speed Boost comes in handy. Simply pop in and out of cover and you won't have a problem avoiding the reaches.

P.3: As soon as Brontes spawns, drop an orbital on her and launch your Series of Shots + Sniper Volley (if it comes off cooldown) opener on her. You want to maintain the uptime of the damage via Corrosive Dart and Orbital Strike while dealing with the Corrupted Clones and having Entrench on at the same time. Diversion is the greatest and most effective tool in this phase. Ideally, you should have it ready for the first and third clones when they are about to jump up and do an AoE attack on a random raider (Around 40%-50%) to virtually negate the damage. Same deal with the orbs as with Hard Mode.

P.4: Whatever side Brontes does with the Discharge phase, launch your Orbital on either side. Typically, you want to save your Sniper Volley for the droid phase so pop your strongest abilities on the first droid, left or right depending on the beam direction. Entrench Speed Boost obviously helps too.

Tip (credited to Aeralos): When the droids come down, we have Flyby already set up, your Aimed Shot should be ready to go (use Charged Burst twice on Brontes while waiting), and after Aimed Shot, you can use Speed Shot --> Burst Volley --> Speed Shot --> Quickdraw. This gives you the maximum amount of damage in the time frame needed to kill the droid.

P.5: Launch your orbital on the finger you need to burn then proceed with your SoS + SV opener again. You also want to Entrench immediately when the fingers spawn in order to prevent any risks of being "double slammed". What I do is pop my Entrench then open up my rotation on the finger, then as soon as the finger slam hits, I Cover Escape to my next finger. Virtually, there's zero problems with this trick and I've found all my success of surviving this phase as a Gunslinger.

Tip (credited to Shay'm): There is a spot where you can place Orbital to hit two Fingers and the Hand. Gotta pad them numbers.

There may be a second slam depending on how fast your raiders burn the fingers, so be prepared to have someone (typically a melee DPS) take your finger in case that happens. Save all your cooldowns for the final and the most intensive phase ever.

P.6: The number "six" is usually the number of Hell, and this phase pretty much describes this phase: hell. While Brontes charges up, you want to use Corrosive Dart and an Armor Debuff on her in order to get the early uptime down. Within less than four seconds, drop your Orbital Strike +Ambush combo then quickly pop your Entrench, Shield Probe, and a Ballistic Shield (if you're the first to pop it). After that, pop your Adrenals and BA Relic and proceed with your max DPS opener. Damage is virtually negligible for the first twenty seconds and the burn is phenomenal.

With each hand popped for a shield, you want to maximize the damage and debuff uptime by reapplying Corrosive Dart and Shatter Shot the instant you come inside. Use the same Orbital Strike + Ambush setup if possible then continue on popping your Entrench and Shield Probe at all times. Keep up your Ballistic Dampeners too.

Tip (credited to Shay'm): There has been a bit of discussion with Snipers I know about when to use Entrench on this fight. Some believe that using Entrench early while she is bubbled so it is up after the second shield is the best way to manage the CD. I don't really agree with that as it will still be 5-15 seconds on CD after the second sheild (depending how early/late you push it) so I like not using it after the first shield to guarantee the knock back immunity during Bloodthirst (that's when my group uses it). Not really a guide point, just food for thought.

Nightmare Dread Palace:

Bestia:

There is a lot of AoE damage coming from Monsters and Larva. This makes Entrench and Ballistic Dampeners valuable for this fight. With both active, you won't have to worry about monsters randomly aggroing on you with AoE attacks. The occasional red circle will also dampen down the damage with Entrench active, making your healers' job a lot easy.

The burst is essentially needed to combat mostly against monsters, but also tab targeting to Larvae, the Dread Tentacle, and Bestia. Diversion works well for everyone (except Bestia since she is unaffected by it). The downside is the uptime is much weaker than Lethality spec. Still, if you feel like you want to play defensively and feel more comfortable tab targeting to adds much quicker, Marksmanship is the way to go.

Tyrans:

With the occasional smash AoE, Affliction, and Thundering Blast, utilizing Ballistic Dampeners and Entrench is key to surviving the fight. The challenge is to keep your internal 6 second cool down in your brain for Ballistic Dampeners in order to combat against Affliction. Shield Probe also helps too for dealing with the DoT.

Offensive wise this fight is like Nefra and the dummy to a degree. Unfortunately, with Simplifications and dropping down/porting up being the factor of Nightmare, it won't be as much. The most important thing is that you activate Corrosive Dart when you are the lucky one to drop simplification. In some degree, the burst and utility defenses help in this fight.

Calphayus:

The burst will be much more imperative for Phase 2 Past as well as the final phase.

Phase 2 Future: When Calphayus jumps to a crystal to charge, a blue orb will occasionally spawn, gradually approaching to Calphayus. With Marksmanship burst, you can easily get that down. Try to save your Sniper Volley/Explosive Probe for those orb phases. If you are the only person who can apply an armor debuff, you have to do it immediately when it spawns within a 2-3 second window.

Final Phase: Like the orb phase, burst is essentially important when the add spawns in the Past area to root the crystal bearer. Again, use the Series of Shots/Sniper Volley/ Explosive Probe sequence to quickly bring the add down. The same can be said to Calphayus when he is stunned in the yellow circle.

Raptus:

The DPS challenges demand a maximum degree of burst, so Marksmanship is a primary spec for this fight. Typically, you want to save all your cool downs (Burst Volley and Target Acquired) as well as alternating Adrenals and Boundless Ages procs with other DPS raiders in order to maximize and stabilize the burst for the two challenges. If you are the only person who can Armor debuff, you must do it immediately the instant you come in. You can also quickly tab target to the next Cursed Captive and re-apply the armor debuff as soon as the first one goes down (placing an Orbital quickly enough is optional as well).

Other than that, nothing has changed from Hard Mode. Be aware of the Spinning Attack Nightmare mechanic he does every once in a while after the challenges, so prepare to Entrench for the Speed Boost when that happens. The AoE reduction from Entrench helps due to Raptus occasionally performing his AoE move every once in a while.

Tip (credited to Shay'm):

Timings for Sniper Volley to work around the challenges;

1. Use in the beginning room, don't use again til first challenge.

2. Use when it comes off CD after the challenge and it will be back for the second challenge.

3. Use off CD unless Spinning Attack is in the next 10-15 seconds.

The Dread Council:

*I personally made one attempt on this fight and we haven't gotten that much far with it. I invite all Marksmanship Snipers who have cleared Nightmare Council share their information for this fight. As it stands, this is just speculation from what I've seen in the kill videos.

P. 1: All Dread Masters will come down, so ideally you'd start on Calphayus first. Keep your defensives off cool down at all times due to the craziness of the damage, and pop your Evasion if you are Death Marked. The only thing you need to watch out for is being Soa'd, so call it out if you do get it. The AoE Damage reduction will be helpful, especially when Tyrans is powered by Calphayus's red circles and does his Thundering Blast at the raid.

P.2: This phase is the most difficult phase of the fight, so open up your Orbital on Brontes as soon as she comes down. Once Styrak is stacked with Brontes, tab target to Styrak and mash your buttons for the maximum rotation. Orbital Strike will be an absolute must in your rotation since occasional AoE damage greatly helps between two targets. The beginning portion is typically like Hard Mode. However, as soon as the Kell Dragon is down, Styrak will perform Chained Manifestation with the Suffering mechanic (from Nightmare Scum and Villainy). You must cycle your order of interrupts while burning down Styrak as fast as you can. With Marksmanship burst, this will be easy for your raiders.

Brontes is next to burn. As soon as 50% comes, reaches will pop out and attempt to make your lives worse. To maximize the uptime of your Marksmanship spec, try to either group with your raiders or be nearly at maximum range in order to make reach dodging much more easier. Do whatever you can to keep the uptime on Brontes, especially during the Discharge phase. Entrench Speed Boost is an obvious plus for this part.

P.3: Nothing really changed from Hard Mode for DPS at least. Just burn whatever order your raid leader dictates and eventually they'll group up for the soft enrage. Cycle your Ballistic Shield and Entrench while tearing holes against the four Dread Masters and you'll have yourself a clear.

Closing and Credits:

I like to thank the following players who have shaped my gameplay and analysis into making this guide:

SamuelAU (Gomerik of <The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>) of The Harbinger

Falver (Claimed of <Phobos>) of The Harbinger

Mazanator (Thrax of <Drop It Like It's Hoth>) of The Red Eclipse

THoK-Zeus (Zahik of <Drop It Like It's Hoth>) of The Red Eclipse

SnickerJew (Yolo of <Zorz> // <Severity Gaming>) of The Harbinger / Prophecy of the Five)

AlphaBurjo (Shay'm of <Zorz> // <Ex-Dalborran Elitists>) of the Harbinger)

And thanks to everyone for reading this guide. I welcome constructive feedback as well as error pinpointing. The number one tip: ALWAYS EAT A CHIPOTLE BURRITO. :cool:

Edited by DieGhostDie

Good read so far Shulk. Just a few things in the Nightmare Raiding section that I do that may be worth noting down;

Johnny Grob Thok :

Using Entrench on the last second of Pipe Smash will give you the knock up immunity for the duration of Pipe Smash and the following Overhead Smash after the magnet is destroyed. It's off CD for every Pipe Smash. You can also Corrosive Dart/Shatter Shot (if required by your group) and roll into the middle of the room during the pull to get the 3 second Entrench from Portable Bunker to resist the first Overhead Smash.

Brontes:

P.5 There is a spot where you can place Orbital to hit two Fingers and the Hand. Gotta pad them numbers.

P.6 There has been a bit of discussion with Snipers I know about when to use Entrench on this fight. Some believe that using Entrench early while she is bubbled so it is up after the first shield is the best way to manage the CD. I don't really agree with that as it will still be 5-15 seconds on CD after the second sheild (depending how early/late you push it) so I like not using it after the first shield to guarantee the knock back immunity during Bloodthirst (that's when my group uses it). Not really a guide point, just food for thought.

Raptus:

Timings for Sniper Volley to work around the challenges;

1. Use in the beginning room, don't use again til first challenge.

2. Use when it comes off CD after the challenge and it will be back for the second challenge.

3. Use off CD unless Spinning Attack is in the next 10-15 seconds.

Council:

If I'm ever not kiting, I'll put my 2 cents in :rolleyes:

Thanks for the shout out, BUT HOW DARE YOU MISSPELL MY NAME :mad:. Hope to see you raiding again soon.

Edit: Corrected Brontes P6 to actually make sense

Edited by AlphaBurjo

Thanks "Shay'm" ;) (Fixed your name lol)

The guide is updated with additional tips in raiding from Shay'm of <Zorz>. I've also added in the Analytical Rotation Breakdown on the use of Target Acquired. :D

EDIT: I've now added the priority of abilities in a raid setting as well as Tab Targeting in the Analytical Rotation Breakdown.

Edited by DieGhostDie

Bumping for edits.

Made a Republic counter part spec, Sharpshooter, for better clarification for Republic players.

Made some fixes on grammatical errors as well as missing a phase in Draxus Nightmare.

I will plan on posting videos of the full rotation as well as tab targeting whenever I can.

Thanks Yolo and Stryvah for the kind words.

I think it is safe to say now that I will no longer have forum access in a couple days. I want to thank you all who have read my guides for Marksmanship/Sharpshooter and for making SWTOR full of competitive fun. While I am at it, I want to spitball some of the tentative future updates I have in mind...

1.) I may either scrap the whole contents of the 2.0 guide to make room for the 3.0 guide or I may start a new thread.

2.) I may create my "Snipers/Gunslingers Thoughts and Criticisms" thread on this Sniper thread (and in the 3.0 PTS Thread) just to highlight what's nerfed, what's buffed, and what's new in 3.0.

3.) Before I lose forum access, I forgot to add the importance of Laze Target/Smuggler's Luck. I'll explain more in-depth hopefully as soon as possible

Other than that, I hope to see you all in 3.0. It's an open discussion from here on out, so feel free to use this thread concerning this spec.

Shulk

Edited by DieGhostDie

• 1 month later...

I am back in the game! (Still a casual though.)

So with the 3.0 overhaul of the new Discipline system, this guide will pretty much be scrapped. I will be posting a new 3.0 Master Marksmanship/Sharpshooter guide if closed PTS testing is available to me.

I'll still be taking questions until then, so fire away. *swoosh swoosh* :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Will you link your new guide when ready plz? I know it's a day short, but I'm eager to see the changes.

From what I have gathered...

Rotation goes as

BV > PR > TS > CB > CB > TS > AS > TS > Fil > Fil >PR > TS > CB > CB > TS > AS > TS > Fil > Fil >PR > TS > CB > CB > TS > AS > TS > Fil > PR > TS >

Filllers (fil) are either VS (you must have a 100% uptime), Hightail IT (on CD try to buff PR after Burst Volley if the crit buff from set bonus affects the whole channel... If not just go for the following TS.. and the second AS) or Charged Burst (roughly one every three rotation) or Flurry of Bolt. They can be moved anywhere in the rotation as needed you just needs 2 between each AS to make sure you won't have to delay it.

Cool head should be activated during the second PR >TS > > AS > TS every third rotation.

Always use Illegal Mods during Burst Volley to reduce its CD as much as you can.

Pop Smuggler's Luck AS SOON AS it comes off CD. The buff last long enough to last until your next AS.

For the execute. Replace the second CB by QD everytime. And remove one filler (the one with CB).

For the Opener.... XS > AS > TS > VS > PR > TS > BV > IM > standard rotation with Illegal Mods....

I have been trying to theory craft the minmax gear but I need the stat formula in 3.0.... I would guess you want to be at the accuracy cap, stacking surge and maybe up to 5% alacrity (at 7% it begins to mess up the rotation by deleting one filler which make it less energy sustainable)... The crit-power balance can't be determined right now... Considering the amount of auto crit and Honed Shot, I would guess a full power build with maybe 2-3% crit from crit rating will be BiS.. But I will have to run the math.....

EDIT : Corrected a small error in the rotation.. AS wasn't followed by a TS

Edited by Ryuku-sama

From what I have gathered...

Rotation goes as

BV > PR > TS > CB > CB > TS > AS > TS > Fil > Fil >PR > TS > CB > CB > TS > AS > TS > Fil > Fil >PR > TS > CB > CB > TS > AS > TS > Fil > PR > TS >

Filllers (fil) are either VS (you must have a 100% uptime), Hightail IT (on CD try to buff PR after Burst Volley if the crit buff from set bonus affects the whole channel... If not just go for the following TS.. and the second AS) or Charged Burst (roughly one every three rotation) or Flurry of Bolt. They can be moved anywhere in the rotation as needed you just needs 2 between each AS to make sure you won't have to delay it.

Cool head should be activated during the second PR >TS > > AS > TS every third rotation.

Always use Illegal Mods during Burst Volley to reduce its CD as much as you can.

Pop Smuggler's Luck AS SOON AS it comes off CD. The buff last long enough to last until your next AS.

For the execute. Replace the second CB by QD everytime. And remove one filler (the one with CB).

For the Opener.... XS > AS > TS > VS > PR > TS > BV > IM > standard rotation with Illegal Mods....

I have been trying to theory craft the minmax gear but I need the stat formula in 3.0.... I would guess you want to be at the accuracy cap, stacking surge and maybe up to 5% alacrity (at 7% it begins to mess up the rotation by deleting one filler which make it less energy sustainable)... The crit-power balance can't be determined right now... Considering the amount of auto crit and Honed Shot, I would guess a full power build with maybe 2-3% crit from crit rating will be BiS.. But I will have to run the math.....

EDIT : Corrected a small error in the rotation.. AS wasn't followed by a TS

I think you're looking at an old set bonus - they've been updating them so it looks sort of like:

2- piece - Using [specific move] Grants 2% damage for 15 seconds, 30 sec lockout

4-piece - Either resource management or an old set bonus

6-piece - Auto-crit on some kind of situation. I think the Sniper had an extra charge from Laze Target for this one.

I think you're looking at an old set bonus - they've been updating them so it looks sort of like:

2- piece - Using [specific move] Grants 2% damage for 15 seconds, 30 sec lockout

4-piece - Either resource management or an old set bonus

6-piece - Auto-crit on some kind of situation. I think the Sniper had an extra charge from Laze Target for this one.

I see... I was refering to the :

2p - Using [specific Move - Aimed Shot for SS] grants 5% power for 15s, 30s ICD.

4p - Leg Shot heals for xx amount.

6p - Hightail It makes you next ability an auto-crit.