"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

RoosterV

cute you think rooting your phone and eliminating the "telemetry" means you arnt geting track? Every piece data going in and out of smart phones calls/text/emials you name its track and intercepted and monitored from quite few agency cia is one them. forget about the fact that "smart" is a personal gps that no ammount of rooting and removing of "telemetry" will stop, so long there micro chip in and a battery they can track your location. you think all that stuff people send to there "cloud" is save too?

all this "telemetry " we have is the price pay for all this constantly online, and smart phones we have. no mater what you do you will be track if your online and if all that info is going threw satellites and it all does, if your that worry about it and you need to get off interent and stop using anything thats digital or has micro chips in it.

Majorty people wont do this but will complain about it, even though it can be stoped, is wrong maybe depend what used for, can it be stopped? NO it can't.

BTW there was data farmed from XP and Vista/Win7 long before they back ported MORE stuff from WIN 10 all this really wasn't public knowledge till MS announced it with Win 10, which when people went crazy and started dig.

Privacy is illusion in the digital age of everything connected to web. why you think every thing these days is connected? you think it was done for the "convenience" of the public only?

You are really mixing your arguments here to a degree that I cannot make heads or tails out of what you are trying to say. Yes, no one is safe from tracking, but you are absolutely able to take some precautions that not everyone and their dog can figure out at any given moment what you are doing online.

Windows has always been a PITA to prevent from transmitting all sorts of data unasked (Win 98/XP and samba, anyone? *shudder*) but the fact is that in everything before Win 10 you have a reasonable chance at controlling what data goes out. In Win 10, Microsoft has abandoned all pretense for the sake of pushing their cloud services, and securing it means locking ahbout half of its capabilities down. I would hesitate to scream all over the place that people should upgrade to Win 10 and that it is all so secure and whatever, but YMMV. Each of us values their privacy differently, after all.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Before we get into the fix we strongly recommend that any users who are on XP or Vista upgrade their OS to Win 7 or newer if at all possible. This will allow you to play SWTOR going forward without any need for this fix. If you upgrade at a later date after using it, additional steps will likely be required to get SWTOR to run. This could even include a full re-install.

Note: Only use the below solution if you are receiving the "Certificate Authentication Failed" error on a Windows XP or Vista PC! Issues on any other OS or any other errors will not be addressed.

Here are the steps to take:

• Restart your computer! This is very important as it ensures that no versions of the launcher are currently running.
  • Download this utility: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2_EOL_xpvista.exe
  • Run the launcher repair utility (note this utility will force your launcher to be on BitRaider, this is mandatory for the fix to work)
  • Once complete, start your launcher and you should now be able to login normally. (If you were on SSN and had to switch to BitRaider you should expect a lengthy verification period. This is normal!)

If this does not work, here are a few things to check:

• If the launcher will not run or you are still receiving the error. Restart your computer and then ensure the launcher is not running in task manager. Then follow the steps above to run the utility..
  • The launcher repair utility will attempt to remove a folder called "patch" from the SWTOR directory. The launcher may not run properly if this delete did not occur. You can try deleting this folder manually and then follow the steps above to run the utility.

This fix will allow your game to continue to run until October. It may run beyond that, but there are no guarantees.

This launcher issue has highlighted for us that going forward, we will be unable to support Windows XP and Vista for The Old Republic. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for both of those OS, we will need to follow suit since we cannot reliably fix any issues that could arise.

The fix above will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users we will be unable to provide any assistance.

Thank you for your patience as we worked through this!

-eric

The fix works on mac w/ wine. Thank you. (use the GitHub fix and leave bit raider on in the launcher.settings file if you aren't sure)

I'm actually going to get to conquer a couple planets this week, yay! :)

cute you think rooting your phone and eliminating the "telemetry" means you arnt geting track? Every piece data going in and out of smart phones calls/text/emials you name its track and intercepted and monitored from quite few agency cia is one them. forget about the fact that "smart" is a personal gps that no ammount of rooting and removing of "telemetry" will stop, so long there micro chip in and a battery they can track your location. you think all that stuff people send to there "cloud" is save too?

Well.. we are way off topic here, but a couple of relevant comments:

1) you are correct in that cell phones leak the owners data all over the place, beginning with logging by your phone carrier service being one of the first and foremost leak points. Any user of a cell phone MUST assume their conversations and data are being sucked up, stored, and algorithmically analyzed for "actionable suspicious meta data and keywords".

2) You are incorrect that the CIA can and will broadly collect and analyze said data within US boundaries. They will however have a partner intelligence agency (such as UK or Aus) do it for them.... following a defined analysis looking for meta data and keywords and then flagging any hit for further attention. This loophole of using a foreign intelligence agency to do domestic gathering has been an ongoing issue for many years now... and I doubt we will ever see it locked down.

MS operating systems can and do gather telemetry... but it's largely not user specific, but rather machine specific and represents little real risk of sniffing of personal data on the PC. Some risk of abuse for sure.. but that would be by consent of MS and the government... and I doubt it is a rich source of wide net data farming as phones provide a much larger and richer target. The real issue now days though is MS operating systems insisting on integrating the user seamlessly into cloud storage and applications. Any storage or movement of a persons information from their PC up to Cloud in any fashion is a data risk just waiting for said Cloud access point to be hacked and strip mined. I personally turn off and scrub out anything Cloud related on all our PCs at home and instead use a secure local NAS that I have complete control over to provide any cloud service or storage needed in our home. And yes.. my NAS could also get hacked in theory..... but it does not represent a large, visible, and rich public target that Cloud services efforts by big corporations represent.

Edited by Andryah

So since XP and Vista support is being dropped, now is the perfect time to also switch over to DX11/12 and a 64-bit client, since Windows 7 and up supports DX11 and 64-bit as is.

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! Microsoft Paint in 64 Bit !!!!!!!!!

Oh, wait ...

Besides, the big Elephant in the Room is most likely Google and their collecting of data ... Compared to them, Microsoft is mostly a virgin.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Hey folks,

Before we get into the fix we strongly recommend that any users who are on XP or Vista upgrade their OS to Win 7 or newer if at all possible. This will allow you to play SWTOR going forward without any need for this fix. If you upgrade at a later date after using it, additional steps will likely be required to get SWTOR to run. This could even include a full re-install.

Note: Only use the below solution if you are receiving the "Certificate Authentication Failed" error on a Windows XP or Vista PC! Issues on any other OS or any other errors will not be addressed.

Here are the steps to take:

• Restart your computer! This is very important as it ensures that no versions of the launcher are currently running.
  • Download this utility: http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityP1.8.2_EOL_xpvista.exe
  • Run the launcher repair utility (note this utility will force your launcher to be on BitRaider, this is mandatory for the fix to work)
  • Once complete, start your launcher and you should now be able to login normally. (If you were on SSN and had to switch to BitRaider you should expect a lengthy verification period. This is normal!)

If this does not work, here are a few things to check:

• If the launcher will not run or you are still receiving the error. Restart your computer and then ensure the launcher is not running in task manager. Then follow the steps above to run the utility..
  • The launcher repair utility will attempt to remove a folder called "patch" from the SWTOR directory. The launcher may not run properly if this delete did not occur. You can try deleting this folder manually and then follow the steps above to run the utility.

This fix will allow your game to continue to run until October. It may run beyond that, but there are no guarantees.

This launcher issue has highlighted for us that going forward, we will be unable to support Windows XP and Vista for The Old Republic. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for both of those OS, we will need to follow suit since we cannot reliably fix any issues that could arise.

The fix above will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users we will be unable to provide any assistance.

Thank you for your patience as we worked through this!

-eric

Thank you for your work.

Apparingly the Launcher is downloading the entire game in English language now, it seems to me, although I was playing it in German language.

This yellow posting never reached the German-language SWTOR forums as well.

My fear is that it only works with the English-language version of SWTOR, and therefore attempts to download the entire game in English language, even if the game's setting was set into German language.

Since my download is in progress, I cannot say more about it. Since my connection speed is very low - it has never been high since I never saw the need for a higher connection speed because I'm not an online gamer except for SWTOR - it is hours away from the end of this download, as the Launcher tells me.

I therefore advise the testing of this Launcher Repair Utility with the other two official SWTOR languages as well.

My fear is that it only works with the English-language version of SWTOR, and therefore attempts to download the entire game in English language, even if the game's setting was set into German language.

Obviously, what you want to do is to check the launcher.settings file for the language it is set to.

While one would naturally want to leave this untouched, it seems reasonable enough that the launcher repair replaces that file to add some quirks settings that enable it to work.

So, while a warning might be helpful, I think it is not out of the question for those affected to actually check the file contents before running the new launcher and waiting hours for a download.

HTH,

SNy

Okay, here is my update :

DURING the whole patching process, the menu en try "Settings" in the Launcher is greyed out : Therefore I cannot change the language therefore the game downloads everything in English language, as it seems.

AFTER the downloading and patching process, the menu entry becomes accessible, therefore I can change the language, therefore the game wants to patch the game according to the new non-English language entry.

After having wasted a whole day now (due to my slow connection), I'm forced to see a NEW downloading and patching process at 69 % now for the rest of the day. That's in fact 2 days wasted.

Testing the workaround with different languages would have provided the QA team with this result, too.

At least that's what I see so far.

Thanks, but that warning is a bit late now. ;)

The install process is already running. ;)

However, I'll keep waiting to see what it might turn out to be.

In the the Launcher's menu, the "Settings" entry is greyed out for me at this moment.

This is why everyone should keep an image copy of their SWTOR install. Because &^%$ happens sometimes.

The launcher update glitched on me on day one, and so I figured I would run the launcher repair utility. Big mistake because it makes an assumption as to what and how you want SWTOR installed and it tried to over-write my non-streaming install with the streaming bitraider version. So I killed it, restarted my computer (because the launcher had locked some files that would not let me delete or overwrite my install with my backup copy), and then over-wrote with my backup and then reran the launcher and the second time it ran and updated without issue. Something apparently glitched with the launcher update the first time through and if I did not have a backup copy... I would be in the same boat as you.

The launcher is definitely the weak link in this MMOs install. Thankfully, they do not update the launcher often, but virtually every time they do... it's quirky or bugs out the first time through and it is very cryptic in it's behavior as well so it is hard to troubleshoot what it going on and/or what is going wrong.

Edited by Andryah

The worst thing is, imho, that the Launcher's settings file overwrote my settings file I had for my German-language installation.

Means that this workaround was never tested with the other two official SWTOR languages.

Well, at least they did manage to produce this workaround, but they seemingly assumed that everyone has a *fast* connection nowadays - which is almost like assuming that everyone who plays SWTOR is a hardcore gamer.

I did not dare to replace the settings file, because I assumed that the settings therein are part of the workaround.

It is so much smaller than the settings file i had before, however.

Okay, as I had already feared, the whole game was downloaded anew due to the Launcher overwriting my original settings. I can't even play right now, because none of my characters is on a starter world, and so every character is greyed out, so to say.

I'm thinking of replacing the settings file with my backup,

but for now I'm done. 2 days wasted.

I don't remember anymore when my play time card runs out, but I most likely won't renew my subscription until I've bought myself a new PC with Windows 7, and that will take time.

Only sad that I can't inform the people in my guild of that.

DURING the whole patching process, the menu en try "Settings" in the Launcher is greyed out : Therefore I cannot change the language therefore the game downloads everything in English language, as it seems.

I must say I am bit baffled. When I said "check the settings file" I meant file as in FILE, not some setting in some GUI program, especially if it's greyed out.

You could have, you know, stopped the process, checked the FILE for the language, changed the language in the FILE and restarted. A bit strange to speak of "two wasted days" when it is apparently PEBKAC at work.

SNy

I do know, but I was just curious as to where this process might lead to. It was kind of an research project as well, to be able to tell others what happens, so I might be able to write an update and a guide over the whole process (especially since that yellow post never reached the German-language SWTOR forums, not even in translated form).

What I'm a bit astonished about is rather that changing the settings file was not in the yellow post in the first place.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Well, I was able to upgrade from Vista to Win 7 (a long and horrid tale), reinstalled swtor, copied character/game settings into new install, and all is working fine now.

I'm amazed my ancient abacus actually runs Win 7 and runs it well. At any rate, for those unable to do this upgrade, luck to you.

Fedora pushed wine-staging 2.14 to available tonight. I grabbed it, and deleted the "skip_self_patch" line in launcher.settings. Upon launch, the launcher predictably updated itself... and then it worked, and I was able to log into the game.

This means that wine-staging 2.14 has SNy-lotrolinux's patch to add support for the extra certificate types. I didn't have to change the claimed version of Windows (still XP) or any other thing, and am now running the newest version of the launcher. This is fantastic! Thanks all.

PlayOnLinux also has 2.14-staging available. I'm not sure about all the other variants. But if you don't have it, you will soon, and then you can be on the new launcher well before the October deadline.

Just a note, if anyone is having certificate issues with the latest patch under Wine, what worked for me:

- WindowsXP set

- wine 2.14-staging

The old launcher is not working at all. I tried switching to Windows 7 and latest stable wine (2.15) but was unable to go past cert validation. XP + 2.14-staging was the first combination that worked for me.

• 1 year later...