new pvp gear is just a time sink not content

Darkoman

So let me get this straight. The low tier gear (BM) is being removed and the old top tier (WH) will cost less, and become the bottom tier with a new top tier (EWH). And the best part is the new gear gap will be comparable to the old gear gap. To me this just seems a way for BW to sucker vets into grinding gear again and paint it as content. I mean seriously, because pvp is scaled against players not the environment if everyone is getting WH and then elite WH how is it any different ? and if there is no difference why do it? I seriously encourage BW to rethink the pvp armor. Perhaps new set bonuses or open world PVP. I love the game and the new WZ is exciting to me but please rethink this aspect

So let me get this straight. The low tier gear (BM) is being removed and the old top tier (WH) will cost less, and become the bottom tier with a new top tier (EWH). And the best part is the new gear gap will be comparable to the old gear gap. To me this just seems a way for BW to sucker vets into grinding gear again and paint it as content. I mean seriously, because pvp is scaled against players not the environment if everyone is getting WH and then elite WH how is it any different ? and if there is no difference why do it? I seriously encourage BW to rethink the pvp armor. Perhaps new set bonuses or open world PVP. I love the game and the new WZ is exciting to me but please rethink this aspect

You didn't get it straight. The gear gap will be greatly diminished. There are a few hundred posts on the pvp and pts forums explaining this.

Yes, I agree, it is stupid. Its all about gear grind though.....they gotta give players something new so they'll get back on that treadmill. And by slapping a new name on it players will eat that sh-t up!

And yes, they seriously need to do something with world pvp because its a joke. I'm guessing since they fired most of the staff because the game failed, new content from here on out is going to be extremely limited. So doing anything for world pvp is probably at the bottom of their list.

i second that.

i dont mind new gear, got acostumed to get facerolled by players with more time to play= better gear.

but dont call it content...content would be something like i play in GW2 called WvWvW when i want content.

I like both games , play both too. if i feel "ok lets grind" i play SWTOR ( i like grind sometimes...when i get to buy something) and i feel like to compete on equal terms + skill combat ( no RP, just the Skill and smarts) i logg into GW2. So Bioware give us OPEN WORLD PVP/NEW ENGINE to be able to implement it!! THAT would be PvP content.

The Den is dead since all got their HK parts...

Is it so hard to implement that each 6 hours safe boxes with comms spawn at the den? 50 would be extreem cool, but you can only get em if you have killed 5 peeps; 10 comms a kill. That place would be packed!

i do agree some players will be taken in by the idea that the new gear is "better" but I would hope we as a community can see through this for what it is and have them invest time elsewhere. if my relative advantage to my peers in pvp will be the same why bother grinding. and if the gear gap is too great now adjust the mods dont make me grind any more. Its a game not a job. I will grind for a new item that is really new not to maintain what I have.

Do any of you enjoy playing the WZs just to... play the WZs? The effect of this patch is to make the gear grind nearly pointless(as been discussed is so many other threads). Get WH, augment and you're set for rateds. In 1.6 it will take a few weeks for casual players. Fresh 50s after 1.6 can be rated ready in a week.

I agree with getting away from gear differentials in pvp, but that's a different topic from them reducing the gear gap via easily obtainable gear.

Edited by CharterMonkKent

i love pvp. Hate grinding but love pvp and if speeding up peoples entry into ranked is the goal re purpose the system we have don't make people grind more and call it an improvement. Raise stats on BM mods will do the same thing Edited by Darkoman
update

i love pvp. Hate grinding but love pvp and if speeding up peoples entry into ranked is the goal re purpose the system we have don't make people grind more and call it an improvement. Raise stats on BM mods will do the same thing

i dont believe you. you cant "love pvp" and at the same time say playing WZs is a grind. the dif between WH and EWH is tiny stat wise. so again. if doing WZs is a "grind" for you, then dont que up. just stick with your WH gear and go stomp PVEers at section x or whatever type of pvp you "love" doing that isnt a "grind".

I do not see this as a time sink as the stats are hardly noticeable. Someone made a post and you can get what an extra 30 will power which is...eh.

I would also say a new warzone is content and making WH the cost of BM is a huge improvement in the efforts to control the complaints on the forums.

its not the WZ's that are the problem it is the principle of the matter. The new gear will lower comparative effectiveness and I am alright with that. I just dislike the idea of grinding to get the comparatively less effective gear from what i have now. My daily gets done every day doesnt mean i have to do it though to stay compeditive

its not the WZ's that are the problem it is the principle of the matter. The new gear will lower comparative effectiveness and I am alright with that. I just dislike the idea of grinding to get the comparatively less effective gear from what i have now. My daily gets done every day doesnt mean i have to do it though to stay compeditive

huh? so your real complaint is you wont have a big gear advantage because everyone will be in at least WH gear? you would be ok with the new EWH gear if it was a big boost over WH gear so you can keep your "comparative effectiveness" over those without top gear?

or am i totally misunderstanding what you are saying?

I also don't understand what you are trying to say. I think you are saying that..

1. you like having better gear than others

2. it will now be easier for competitors to get the same gear you have now

1 + 2 = 3. When people have the same gear as you, you think your gear is less effective

If I got that right. I think that's a personal preference more than a "what's good for the game" preference.

I also don't understand what you are trying to say. I think you are saying that..

1. you like having better gear than others

2. it will now be easier for competitors to get the same gear you have now

1 + 2 = 3. When people have the same gear as you, you think your gear is less effective

If I got that right. I think that's a personal preference more than a "what's good for the game" preference.

your not understanding me right. I am fine with making the current WH gear easier I am also ok with making the current BM and WH closer. What i am not alright with is having to grind more stupid tokens to have top tier gear that is comparatively less effective (the difference between tier 1 & 2) than it is now.

Edited by Darkoman

your not understanding me right. I am fine with making the current WZ gear easier I am also ok with making the current BM and WZ closer. What i am not alright with is having to grind more stupid tokens to have top tier gear that is comparatively less effective (the difference between tier 1 & 2) than it is now.

WOW you hit it all in a nutshell with Comparatively Less Effective.

your not understanding me right. I am fine with making the current WZ gear easier I am also ok with making the current BM and WZ closer. What i am not alright with is having to grind more stupid tokens to have top tier gear that is comparatively less effective (the difference between tier 1 & 2) than it is now.

Ok i see. You feel you "have to grind stupid tokens". Much of the community in this game don't feel they have to grind EWH. Each player can do what they want here. Personally I'll be fine with my 5 50s in a mix of WH and EWH gear so I can play each one in rateds. I'll also be fine with being rated ready in a week with my newest 50 after 1.6.

I assume you weren't happy when WH gear was added. Sadly that's the state of PvP in most MMOs right now. I don't like the idea of a gear grind either. But this change by no means forces players to grind the next gear to play end game pvp, that is, rated WZs.

Edited by CharterMonkKent

I do not see this as a time sink as the stats are hardly noticeable. Someone made a post and you can get what an extra 30 will power which is...eh.

I would also say a new warzone is content and making WH the cost of BM is a huge improvement in the efforts to control the complaints on the forums.

heh. I kind of thought the same thing, if the ewh weapons are any indication. main stats are pretty meh. the only obvious advantage I found to ewh mainhands are that the hilts/barrels upgrade one's specialty power stat. exp, main stat and crit are all negligible. alac and power, however, could be serious upgrades (not that anyone stacks the former).

i dont mind the change, sad i spent the time grinding 3 full WH's but i like the smaller gear gap, less guaranteed losses in wz's more skill dependance. as for the EWH if it has an awesome new look i might grind it for aesthetics... now as far as counting it as content... it just brings to mind how many new fp/ops we have vs new WZ's... this new one better be epic. i would be happy with the exact same game modes on different terrains. how hard can that be? a VS with 3 nodes to guard would be interesting. especially with more twists and turns in corridors etc. maybe like a 3 tiered tower so people could jump down quickly but have to climb up. or even better use MGGS's! and intermediate objectives the enemy could take to disable the grapple points to force slower re-enforcements... a map other than huttball rdps can find perches. damnit put me in charge i'll have this shiz operational in a couple weeks! =p Edited by ACTroyan

But wait, you forgot, they also put a lot of time and effort into recoloring those sets too.

But seriously though, all of you who go on with the "its not a grind" should just keep quiet. If they didn't want it to be a grind, they wouldn't put the prices at such a high RWZ cost. That portion of it could be cut in half too, especially for those of us who have to do the 3:1 conversion and have no chance at RWZ (concealments/scrappers).

Its a grind no matter how you look at it, if you argue the point then you are just dumb and blind. And likely play a sentinel/marauder, which makes you feel special b/c BW caters to you.

Its a grind no matter how you look at it, if you argue the point then you are just dumb and blind. And likely play a sentinel/marauder, which makes you feel special b/c BW caters to you.

:) They don't cater to Watchman/Annihilation... And they were trying to cater to the whiners, ended up screwing everyone except concealment ops, with the resolve changes so melee dps weren't roaming around the WZs like "wrecking balls with full resolve".

:) They don't cater to Watchman/Annihilation... And they were trying to cater to the whiners, ended up screwing everyone except concealment ops, with the resolve changes so melee dps weren't roaming around the WZs like "wrecking balls with full resolve".

Wait, everyone got screwed on something except concealment Ops? So that's why I sit there mezzed for like 15 seconds, getting pissed as all hell, when a coordinated group uses back-to-back mezzes in a wz? Somehow my concealment Op is actually affected by that, must be a bug that affects only me.

...And how do they not cater to watchman spec? B/c they nerfed your healing a whole HALF a point in this last patch? Doesn't have the same burst as the other specs, but it has more sustained dmg. I can pull over 400k with my MK-1 recruit geared sentinel in watchman spec. I've seen watchman specs in WZs hit over 5k for their highest hit, so its not like the burst isn't there for that spec either.

My mind hurts thinking that a watchman sentinel would feel like they've gotten the shaft...

Edited by randiesel

Hopefully this will make the gear grind pointless- so people in WH are on equal footing. Believe it or not but some people want to pvp just to pvp competitively- no huge gear handicaps, no gear grinds- just pvp because pvp is fun.

I know, I know- 'pvp without a grind!? That would never work'.

I guess that would explain why MOBAs, FPS and RTS games are the least popular online multi player games in the world huh? And why sports that don't have huge gear differences never get any interest? /sarcasm off

Maybe it's time for mmos to catch up with the rest of the competitive world and stop making it all about a gear crutch- leave gear grinds for pve care bears please.

I like that, once 1.6 launches, all you will really need is WH + augments and you are really in the game. Gearheads, no disrespect intended, can still grind up to EWH for an edge and I am sure many will engage in optimization too (grinding Best in Slot mods, etc).

I wonder how this will shake out for those who have *already* optimized. Will they have to re-grind?

Edited by DroidDreamer