Disappointed with KOTET/KOTFE storyline, anyone else feel that way? (Spoilers)

yaorderstank

I'm probably repeating old criticisms.

I don't like that the story is put on all characters, but it's designed only for Force character protagonists. I cannot see my Smuggler or Bounty Hunter going through these trials of learning more of the Force. I mean it might be much to ask Bioware to create independent storylines for each class but they could've at least segregated the Force and non-Force characters, where the non-Force characters can do much impactful stuff to Zakuul, (like retrieving the Gravestone or robbing the treasury) while the Force characters deal with the leadership.

Edited by Mindelmatrix

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
As an Inquisitor, even though I tried to get rid of my force ghosts, I know at least one of them (maybe 2?) stuck around anyway. Which makes it really weird that there's not a hint of them in all those scenes in my head or fighting force spirits. No acknowledgement that they're still there at all.

Actually, the Inquisitor mentions something about the ghosts in Chapter VIII of KotET.

After he kills Vaylin and her power has been transfered to the SI.

He mentions it two times actually. Maybe he's talking about Kallig, Darth Andru, Lord Ergast, Kalatosh Zavros and Horak-mul. I made a screenshots of my SI saying this. Here:

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/dkbVE

Screenshot2: http://imgur.com/a/DDMIX

Edited by Dzqn

I actually really liked KOTFE/KOTET and liked that it got one out of the tired, old, Imps. vs. Reps storylines and blurred the lines a lot. I love having an Alliance and getting to work with characters from both sides of the fence.

However, I thought the way certain points in the story were handled wasn't good, and KOTET felt way too rushed. I felt there could have been a lot more with companions, especially the love interests. I adore Lana and my character's romance with her, but I felt like there could have been more done and said, like the companion quests in vanilla.

And I agree that the one-size-fits-all story for every single class just didn't seem to fit. I felt that having a different trajectory for non-Force users would have been better.

If they ever chose to put out a 'directors' cut' of KOTET as it was originally scripted to play out - which from what I understand would have been about 66% longer - I'd be super curious to see it.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

It would be nice if they put in a exp for agent and expand on the rogue agent thing etc you know slowly mould all the classes into their own so keeping KOTFE and KOTET as a Force user experience for Sith and Jedi classes but build on what the other classes have been like Lana said "A rogue agent and Jadus" bla boa making it so you have to play one class to understand even making a class vs class story where even the agent is trying to take out the Alliance Commander.. I hope for this so my reason for not play KOTFE and KOTET as a non Force user is a wise one. I did like both probably the better exp but they ain't the only ones I haven't played as a non Force user everything after chapter 3 finale I stopped with story...

I dislike the railroad nature of the KOTFE story. That and chuffing Skytroopers.

The story itself is ok not stellar. I'm on chapter XV of KOTFE already and I've yet to be surprised. Partly because of the giant spoilers other players are (running around with Arcann is a bit of a give away).

Actually, the Inquisitor mentions something about the ghosts in Chapter VIII of KotET.

As I've finished KOTET with an Inquisitor, I can tell you safely

that it's assumed that you went light side and released them all. Irregardless of what decision you actually made.

that it's assumed that you went light side and released them all. Irregardless of what decision you actually made.

Oooo. If I can ever muster up the desire to run through KotFE/ET with my Darth Nox, he's gonna be super pissed :mad:

I absolutely frakkin' loved KotET and KotFE. I'd been playing MMO's since Evercrack in 1999 and in the last couple of years I've had serious burnout with the grind associated with those games and really have enjoyed the more linear single player games.

Playing SWTOR now gives me both linear story where I can play by myself , and still get the group social if I want to do flashpoints and such. For me, it's a perfect blend for gaming.

Besides that game play style that I like, there's the story, which I also loved. I understand the issues for those who don't play force users. I've played each class story but only taken force users into these expansions because they are my mains. I don't know what to say except I loved this story.

The unfortunate thing however, is now we are in a shoe box of being the ultimate leader (commander or emperor/empress) so how do they top that? I've yet to play Iokath but from what I hear, the writers failed to segue moving from leader of the eternal fleet to being able to keep the Imps and Pubs from going at each other's throats again and make it plausible.

I feel like KOTET was somehow chopped? Like there are missing chapters or quests, for example at the end of " Gemini Deception" chapter, after rescuing Tai Cordan, i was expecting to get a side quest to recruit Zenith, if you remember the Jedi Consular story, Tai & Zenith are a " package deal", a "two at the price of one" kind of thing. But no, no side quest.

And another issue: we never found out what's in the cryogenic storage or w/e is that thing on Gravestone, remember Senya lurking around that " dark energy" place? What if whatever or whoever is inside that thing was supposed to be somehow important in the story but was eliminated? Dark energy = sith. Lord Scourge? Jaesa? Khem Val posessed by Darth Zash?

I feel like KOTET was somehow chopped? Like there are missing chapters or quests, for example at the end of " Gemini Deception" chapter, after rescuing Tai Cordan, i was expecting to get a side quest to recruit Zenith, if you remember the Jedi Consular story, Tai & Zenith are a " package deal", a "two at the price of one" kind of thing. But no, no side quest.

And another issue: we never found out what's in the cryogenic storage or w/e is that thing on Gravestone, remember Senya lurking around that " dark energy" place? What if whatever or whoever is inside that thing was supposed to be somehow important in the story but was eliminated? Dark energy = sith. Lord Scourge? Jaesa? Khem Val posessed by Darth Zash?

We have official confirmation that KotET was indeed chopped. KotFE and KotET were meant to be 2 parts of a trilogy of expansions however the raiders and other players were vocal enough that Bioware decided to chop the story to less then 2/3rds and do Iokath instead. This is also why there won't be an expansion this year as all that stuff got chopped, and a redirection put in place, the team hasn't had enough time to put together a different expansion to what they had planned. Of course we'll never know exactly what got chopped but we know it affected companion returns and story cohesion.

Edited by Asmodesu

They did cut KOTET back by 2/3 from what has been said, for their "new direction." I totally agree with you. I think if we had gotten the whole story it would have been a lot better than the hacked up version they gave us. I actually felt that the KOTET chapters that remained were very good but very rushed, and they never did go back to those hidden rooms or Dark energy on the Gravestone.

They did cut KOTET back by 2/3 from what has been said, for their "new direction." I totally agree with you. I think if we had gotten the whole story it would have been a lot better than the hacked up version they gave us. I actually felt that the KOTET chapters that remained were very good but very rushed, and they never did go back to those hidden rooms or Dark energy on the Gravestone.

This makes me sad. I really enjoyed the story and wish there had been more. And yea, I agree, it did feel rushed.

Actually I've made mostly DS decisions and I remember I kept all the ghosts in me

I would love to know this, too. I really wish they *would* consider releasing another version of KOTET with everything.

Part of me doesn't want to know - if it's true it was simply cut to get back to the IMP vs Pub plot ASAP, I dread I might find something I'm going to like in the cut content.

I would love to know this, too. I really wish they *would* consider releasing another version of KOTET with everything.

Two thirds of KOTET was cut from the game? Why?! If it was in it probably wouldn't have felt like a rushed expansion.

^^ I want to see the uncut version too. This new Imp vs Pub story is just one stupid decision after the next.

We have official confirmation that KotET was indeed chopped. KotFE and KotET were meant to be 2 parts of a trilogy of expansions however the raiders and other players were vocal enough that Bioware decided to chop the story to less then 2/3rds and do Iokath instead. This is also why there won't be an expansion this year as all that stuff got chopped, and a redirection put in place, the team hasn't had enough time to put together a different expansion to what they had planned. Of course we'll never know exactly what got chopped but we know it affected companion returns and story cohesion.

I suggest you read over Boyd's post in its entirety and look back at the response as a whole to KotFE. It had nothing to do with "raiders and other players" being vocal, and had everything to do with a crappy story that didn't deliver on almost any level at all:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9337394#post9337394

I've not heard any official announcement that there's no big xpac this year. I assumed they were just waiting to reveal it because they had to wait on making sure the Traitor from Iokath's identity was out in the open first. However, if it is true that there's no major xpac this year, that is certainly poor planning for something they knew about two years ago (when they decided to abbreviate KotET).

Well I loved both parts of the Eternal Empire and would love to see the extended cut. I'd pay a DLC price on the cartel market to get it even.

I've played MMOs for so many years I'm seriously burned out on them, but I can play SWTOR because I can play it like a single player game, solo and immersible story. Story is everything for me, not the grind, not the endgame. I know that's not popular and I know it's not the direction a lot of MMO players want and this is after all an MMO.

But for me selfishly, I'd pay for the extended cut as DLC the same way I paid for the DLC's for all the Dragon Age games and the Mass Effect games.

Edited by deFafnyr

My character was entirely dark (Dark V) and I'm certain kept the ghosts in the vanilla story. Yet somehow they disappeared in KOTET anyways.

I would think it's possible that Valkorion annihilated or permanently trapped them when he set up shop in the Outlander's head, to avoid their having any influence or interfering in any way.