Want to Test RotHC (and live in Austin)?

Rankyn

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, right. Not clicking your link. It's probably ****. If it were true, it would link a Bioware site.
It's the link they just posted on Facebook.

They use outside firms for recruiting positions like this.

However, for the click-shy, here's what it says:

BioWare is a division of EA which crafts high quality multiplatform role-playing, MMO, social, play-for-free and strategy games, focused on emotionally engaging, rich stories with unforgettable characters and vast worlds to discover. Since 1995, BioWare has created some of the world's most critically acclaimed titles and franchises, including Baldur's Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars®: The Old Republic™, Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™, Jade Empire™, Mass Effect™ and Dragon Age™.

BioWare Austin is hiring temporary playtesters for the "Rise of the Hutt Cartel" digital expansion coming to Star Wars: The Old Republic. Current and former players of all experience levels are encouraged to apply.

NOTE: These are onsite contract/temporary positions; relocation assistance will not be provided.

SKILLS/REQUIREMENTS

• Must be 18 years of age or older

• Must not have previous professional game development experience

• Strong verbal communication skills

• Comfortable giving objective feedback (positive and negative) in a group setting

• Passion for SWTOR or other massively-multiplayer online games

• Available to work weekends

Due to the volume of applications we receive for our job postings, we are unable to respond personally to phone or email inquiries regarding the status of an application. Only candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted at this time.

Edited by Rankyn

It's real. Check twitter, the official swtor twitter sent the same link. It's not a bioware link because it's to a job recruitment agency for the temp game tester position.

Okay. I stand corrected.

Still odd Bioware doesn't use the test server setup and actually paying (?) people to to test it.

Okay. I stand corrected.

Still odd Bioware doesn't use the test server setup and actually paying (?) people to to test it.

That's what happens when you bring a game back from the dead....you now have some wiggle room to properly test games prior too release them...even to the PTS.

I think I'd take this as a pretty good sign...

pretty dumb you have to live in austin to do this
Well, it's on-site and they aren't going to pay you to move.

It's also a temp position and probably doesn't pay very much.

I'm sure if you wanted to commute and/or move there at your own expense that they'd consider you.

Seems like an odd requirement to me.
They don't want testers with a "developer" mindset.

Just think about how often people complain on this forum about something the developers did that players don't like.

I'm sure that a big component of this position is "fun factor" and developers frequently have trouble stepping back from how they think things should be done and seeing whether or not what has been done is actually enjoyable.

This is one of the reasons that SOE has mandatory company-wide play test sessions... so they get input from people who aren't too close to the project.

Okay. I stand corrected.

That's probably at the alpha stage, they wouldn't roll it out on the test servers yet anyway.

That's probably at the alpha stage

So it sounds like you're saying it's ready fo them to push it live, right? I mean, if it's already in alpha then the quaility already surpasses anything else they've done so far.

Edited by bahdasz

LOL! Live IN Texas? There are a few things I'd do ON Texas long before I'd even consider that, I don't care how much a job there pays or how much fun it's supposed to be.

Austin is actually a nice place to live and pretty much nothing like the rest of Texas.

It makes sense. They are trying to prevent leaks by forcing you to play on their locked down machines keeping you from screenshotting, datamining, streaming, etc.

Yes... A lot of companies do this..... ( Some let you do it from home... but only with a select few, and they know the people that are doing it from home, as in have worked with them for years.)

Austin is actually a nice place to live and pretty much nothing like the rest of Texas.

True story. I visited for the first time recently, it couldn't be more different than the rest of Texas. Super liberal, everyone rides bikes and eats vegan. Reminded me more of Portland than Texas (except for the weather). Not what I had expected at all.

True story. I visited for the first time recently, it couldn't be more different than the rest of Texas. Super liberal, everyone rides bikes and eats vegan. Reminded me more of Portland than Texas (except for the weather). Not what I had expected at all.

Yup. I live in Austin. Love it here. And... there is nothing wrong with Texas; a great place to live for all walks of life.

Not sure what that other guy is railing about. Obviously he has never been here.

So... I might just try this on for size. Can't hurt to apply. Thanks for the link OP.

• Dev Post

Hello,

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of some of the on-site player tests that we've hosted here at the studio and I can honestly say it has been a tremendous help. So if you happen to be in the area and have some time to do it we would really appreciate any feedback.

As a UI Programmer, having players come on site gives me an opportunity to observe where UI may or may not be working and hear first hand what their suggestions are for what features they might want to see. It is also great to be able to ask them questions on the fly that the discussions bring up.

Erin I saw your post in the game testing thread and would love to suggest two things for the UI

1) I would also love to have the ability to set Ground Targets with the in game icons you can use to mark characters or Mobs it would be very beneficial in raids. That way in a raid you could set the ground target before the fight and tell everyone to move to flame during a certain phase it would be of great assistance for a raid leader.

2) A easier way for a healer to see debuff's on a target that need to be removed by making the raid frame change color to indicate what type of affliction a character in the raid now suffers from as a example if it was a poison the outline of that persons raid frame could turn green, etc.

Edited by Painted

Hello,

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of some of the on-site player tests that we've hosted here at the studio and I can honestly say it has been a tremendous help. So if you happen to be in the area and have some time to do it we would really appreciate any feedback.

As a UI Programmer, having players come on site gives me an opportunity to observe where UI may or may not be working and hear first hand what their suggestions are for what features they might want to see. It is also great to be able to ask them questions on the fly that the discussions bring up.

God I hope somebody that loves the game and has a clue tests this, because we all know the people that develop the game don't play it or have any clue about anything in the game.

Edited by bahdasz

Hello,

As a UI Programmer,

****! PLS MAKE BUFFS/DEBUFFS LARGER (player frames, target frames, raid frames etc.). You just need to create new ui regions in UI editor and make it scalable by player. UI Programmer... yeah... :rak_01:

Edited by Glower