Is ESO making a dent in this game?

AGSThomas

I have not even checked out ESO, I have no interest. However, I hear in the forums/general chat that ESO is killing SWTOR. I've heard this several times over the past 2 years and didn't think much of it. But this past weekend I noticed that my PvP queue times are significantly longer than before ESO came out...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not even checked out ESO, I have no interest. However, I hear in the forums/general chat that ESO is killing SWTOR. I've heard this several times over the past 2 years and didn't think much of it. But this past weekend I noticed that my PvP queue times are significantly longer than before ESO came out...

Your own personal experiences are simple anecdotal evidence. It means nothing.

In my own opinion, no. ESO will not make any noticeable impact on TOR. One is a fantasy setting with a PVP focus, while the other is a space setting with a PVE focus.

I was surprised to see the server window at prime time over the weekend with my server not Very Heavy. There could be a lot of reasons for that, but one might be ESO. It sort of makes sense that people will try a new game for a while.

When the game was first announced, I was quite interested in it. Then I learned of its PvP bent and that's just not me, but I was still interested. Then I played it during game test and that was more than enough to convince me I wouldn't buy it.

I have a feeling that it will draw some smallish percentage of SWTOR players away for a month or maybe two, tops, then most of them will return.

Time-out folks. Something to consider besides ESO, is that it is SPRING time and Spring Break time all over the US. Kids and adults alike are taking time to...OMG...enjoy the outdoors and good weather. And it will only get worse because for students final exams are around the corner, and the weather will only get better (I know I broke out my golf clubs yesterday :)).

So prepare yourself for a dip in population (especially at non-peak times) probably until August-September.

There is an ebb and flow to MMOs these days. Are there players giving TESO a try? Yup. Some may even stay. But invariably, many will come back. So... TESO will be about as impactful as GW2 which is not at all.

Several guildies are playing both. What is interesting to me is that in recent days our guild activity has gone up not down.

Time-out folks. Something to consider besides ESO, is that it is SPRING time and Spring Break time all over the US. Kids and adults alike are taking time to...OMG...enjoy the outdoors and good weather. And it will only get worse because for students final exams are around the corner, and the weather will only get better (I know I broke out my golf clubs yesterday :)).

So prepare yourself for a dip in population (especially at non-peak times) probably until August-September.

Yeah, a lot of college students are in their last month of classes before finals, and as we approach the end of the semester, our free time tends to approach zero. Between midterms and end-of-semester projects, I've barely logged in to the game the last two weeks, and as finals approach, I'll have even less time.

Oh, and nature *finally* decided it was time for winter to be over (seriously, I had "spring break" 2 weeks ago, and the high temps were in the 30s) in the past few weeks, and people are going to be taking advantage of the long-overdue warm weather.

I admit I'm playing ESO & I really like it for the most part. There were a ton of bugs during beta, and many of those slipped through to launch so that's why they're seeing extended downtimes during peak hours as they fix things piecemeal. (RIFT still holds the smoothest launch title IMO among MMOs). I've decided to unsub from SWTOR at least until the new stuff hits later this spring/summer.

I'm leaving behind a cool group of friends in our pvp guild, but we can still converse via vent even though I'm not in game with them. TBH I needed something new & taking a break has usually worked in the past for rekindling my enthusiasm for the game I left.

See ya laters.

I am loyal to Star wars and TOR, I did participate in ESO beta but it wasn't anything so dramatic that would make abandon SWTOR and play ESO now, after all this's a Star wars not some ''Final fantasy'' style MMO...

Oh, and nature *finally* decided it was time for winter to be over (seriously, I had "spring break" 2 weeks ago, and the high temps were in the 30s) in the past few weeks, and people are going to be taking advantage of the long-overdue warm weather.

Here, here, except it's decided to go back to being 40 degrees and pouring rain over here. **** this weather, this is the worst winter I've ever seen.

I played ESO for six hours. It was terrible. The more I played it, the less I liked it. Sorry, but I jettisoned ESO and gave the account to my brother. Didn't even make it to the OPvP zerg area.

That said, ESO will probably make a dent on PvE servers. I don't see it impacting PvP Servers much.

I played ESO for six hours. It was terrible. The more I played it, the less I liked it. Sorry, but I jettisoned ESO and gave the account to my brother. Didn't even make it to the OPvP zerg area.

That said, ESO will probably make a dent on PvE servers. I don't see it impacting PvP Servers much.

I think you might have that backwards, the PvP in SWTOR is a snoozefest. The OPvP in ESO is actually really good, and actually works well. I would be surprised if this game doesn't lose a big chunk of PvPers.

There is always a group of players who check out the new MMO for a few weeks. It's happened with pretty much every other MMO that has been released since SWTOR launched. There are a lot of people who play more than 1 MMO at a time.

I think you might have that backwards, the PvP in SWTOR is a snoozefest. The OPvP in ESO is actually really good, and actually works well. I would be surprised if this game doesn't lose a big chunk of PvPers.

It is good for a while, but it suffers from population imbalances really badly. Also, I suppose it will get kinda old over time. It is an interesting take on the subject, but still, my impression was maybe equal to huge raids on Imps on Oricon plus siege weapons (which are utterly boring to operate).

ESO is the big new toy so you should expect 4-5 weeks of dropped SW:TOR numbers as people try the new Shiny Object.

But over 4-5 weeks you will see population start to climb back up as people become disillusioned with ESO and return to what their comfortable with.

ESO is not for everyone and many people will find the combat interface far to simplistic and connection/reflex orientated for their liking.

Also like TOR at Launch ESO has no real end game content other then RVR.

Now make no mistake, RVR is a billion times better then what TOR offers up in its simplistic, childlike, Warzone PVP content. So if you have a good connection and are comfortable with minimalist interfaces (sorry I find them boring) the RVR will probably appeal greatly to the PVP style player looking to test themselves. So that small portion of SW:TOR will probably be gone.

Those PVPers that need their gear advantage and are not strong strategy/tactics wise will prefer SW:TOR lesser version of pvp on war zones.

Personally speaking I cant stand the interface for ESO so thats a no go from me. I direly miss RVR combat from DAoC and have stopped even doing PVP in SW:TOR because its just flawed gear grind PVP. But the interface in ESO makes it a none starter for me.

But its new so people will try it out and see it they like it.

I dont expect ESO will be a major killer of SW:TOR because SW:TOR offers a completely different game experience then ESO does.

RPers and Raiders will still prefer SW:TOR

Casuals will try ESO but with limited end game PVE and a much harder (Stratagy and tactics wise) PVP/RVR content, I think casuals will also return to SW:TOR as its the easier of the two games.

ESO will do very well in the PVP crowds though and I wouldnt be shocked if SW:TOR queue times did rise in wait times and not return to previous low wait times until at least the next PVP content update.

Truth is SW:TOR really needs to look at adding world based RVR/PVP and moving away from Warzones.

Warzones are the far lesser PVP experience and will never hold people long term when there is a better option available.

Anyways, thats my responce to ESO making a Dent.

Overall it just for a period of time as ESO new

PVP wise I wouldnt be shocked to see ESO hurt SW:TOR (and WOW) pvp players base numbers as it offers a greater pvp experience over all.

It is good for a while, but it suffers from population imbalances really badly. Also, I suppose it will get kinda old over time. It is an interesting take on the subject, but still, my impression was maybe equal to huge raids on Imps on Oricon plus siege weapons (which are utterly boring to operate).

Its not a new idea, its been done by DAOC for many years and that game is widely considered the best pvp mmo ever made. Its been copied by other mmos like GW2 and Warhammer, both of which tried to tweak the formula and screwed it up.

ESO pvp from what ive seen so far is DAOC with upgraded graphics and action combat. Yeah theres zerg vs zerg keep sieges but theres also small group skirmishes all over the Huge map, not to mention the stealth wars.

There is an ebb and flow to MMOs these days. Are there players giving TESO a try? Yup. Some may even stay. But invariably, many will come back. So... TESO will be about as impactful as GW2 which is not at all.

/Agree.

Honestly, at this particular moment in time in the MMO marketplace, I would expect TESO to have it's largest impact on players of GW2. Why? Because it has a number of similarities that make it conducive to GW2 players to dive right into it. But it won't last if they keep TESO as a sub only game.

Of course any new MMO is going to attract a lot of attention across the player base, so sure... I expect more people are splitting their time between TESO and whatever their current other favorite MMO is.

ESO pvp from what ive seen so far is DAOC with upgraded graphics and action combat. Yeah theres zerg vs zerg keep sieges but theres also small group skirmishes all over the Huge map, not to mention the stealth wars.

/Agree.

TESO, with time, could very well become the best ground based MMO PvP in the market. There appears to be incentive on a number of layers of the game to get out and be active in the PvP zone.

In the end, tt all depends on how well the players play the game rather then trying to game the game.

There is a combination of factors right now. ESO is one. WS beta weekends is another. 2.7 coming out tomorrow has 2 impacts. Players are waiting for the new content, so their playtime is lower and many people were discouraged by some changes/dev posts about the future.

ESO will probably have the same impact that GW2 did. It will drag away 40-50% or so of the players for a few weeks and probably 5-10% will stick with ESO. Another 20% will probably try ESO, but will still be on SWTOR the whole time as well. I'm sure everyone will be back to try out SWTOR's new patch tomorrow and then we'll see if it's able to keep people away from ESO by the weekend.