State of the Game #3

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He said a whole lot of nothing. Playable content seems to be a secondary focus at this point. Post-Makeb production will focus on quality of life? Have you ever seen how quickly MMO players consume content? The production should focus on additional content AND quality of life.

You're adding a barbershop feature to the game, but gating it through the Cartel Market. Why shouldn't players be able to change their appearance using in-game credits? I understand charging for a racial change.

Pretty uninspired state of the game address. Take some passion in what you guys do, or has EA beaten the creativity out of you?

I totally agree.

And... from 6 weeks to 8 ? lol

And I’m happy to announce that we’ll be introducing several new features along the way, like a new customization feature, which will allow you to change your character's hair style, eye color, body type, or even species (including the upcoming Cathar!) using Cartel Coins. Look for it in early summer.

Cartel market is doing well and will do even better in future. To me it feels like i know every move now Bioware will pull from their sleeves. Ah i guess i have seen f2p model similar like this before i know where it heads :)

Edited by Divona

8 week content cadence? pretty sure you guys have said in the past 6 weeks, why the sudden change?

also, the only "new" bit of info here was the account # estimate. which is great, but we already know cuz the servers are more populated.

no mention of content or bug fixes or the current direction of the game :rolleyes:

Edited by cashogy_reborn

LOTRO is an F2P game and it has an ingame barbershop. :rolleyes:

It does. I've dabbled in LOTRO and had a 30-something elf Loremaster. Don't they have an Outfit System that came in Book 12 or something? It cost Turbine Points unless you had a sub, right?

8 week content cadence? pretty sure you guys have said in the past 6 weeks, why the sudden change?

because they are lazy and gotta make sure thye take as much of the old gear and re color it as much as possible for release in the CM

It does. I've dabbled in LOTRO and had a 30-something elf Loremaster. Don't they have an Outfit System that came in Book 12 or something? It cost Turbine Points unless you had a sub, right?

I don't know about the outfit system. I think it's free for preferred players though.

The in-game barber shop is in-game currency only.

Edited by Lent_San

Even for susbcribers you had to buy them with Lotro Turbine points to unlock extra slots. All the other extra slots like here (carge and ect) you had to buy with shop currency. Its similar system Bioware heading into. Only difference is that you can also use here ingame credits to unock but with huge amount of course .Currently they deny that in futurte there will be combat impacting items in shops just as Turbine said at start.

Subscription does not grant you extra fluff or unlocks for new features if game has also f2p model implemented. Thats what many dont still understand how this works by mixing subscription + f2p model with ingame shop currency.

Edited by Divona

State of the game TL;DR: More cartel market "content" :mad:

If subscribers don't get to use something as basic as a barber for in game credits I don't see my self subscribing much longer, especially since there are so many other good games out. At this point there is almost no reason to pay a monthly fee for this game since everything revolves around the CM.

Edited by Jhericho

Yup, you are EAware, no doubt about it. That should be an ingame feature for ingame creds, not cartel. :mad:

Agreed. I do think that nothing will be available in game any longer when it can make EA real money in the CM store. I imagine when they get around to mini-games they will be CM store for access. Things like that. People wanted F2Play. They got "F2play" where everthing can be nickled and dimed to death in a Online Store. F2Play is a myth. :cool:

First of all who the hell cares about ridiculous things like changing your hair style and changing your species? Obviously all these whinny people do because in my opinion I could care less about those two options. When I spend 15 mins or so creating my charecter I make sure I spend the time and effort so I dont need to go back and change him all over again. Its these people with this child like mentality where after they reach level 10 with their toon they think, " I dont really like him anymore, I wana start something else. " Well BOO HOO! Why do you need to change? Because you spent 2 mins making your charecter and it looks like ****? Or because you just saw someone elses charecter who spent some time on him and you realize yours looks like crap and you need to change yours? I mean damn man, on the list of quality of life improvments this game needs to implement a dumb barbershop and a species change is not even on my list.

Heres some things that I think need to change....

Ship leaving and arriving animations - I wana see my thrusters kick into gear with a streak accross the sky when I take off into space, not the ******** sound we hear now with the only animation being the ship flying accross the sky. Think about how awesome it looks and sounds when the Ebon Hawk took off or the Millenium Falcon boosted his thrusters. Also when arriving on a planet I want to see my ship land in the hanger or the landing pad. When it lands I want to see steam puffs coming from the hydrolic landing gear and be able to hear the steam shooting out. I never hear anyone talk about these things and all you have to do is watch the Star Wars movies or play Kotor even with its old graphics and you see all the Ebon Hawks take off and landing animtaions fully incorperated like the way I described above.

More SPECIES! - I know the deal about them not being able to have wookies and such as mains because of the language barrier. But damn! Is bioware really that dumb to say, " Well we will wait and see how the Cathar species does, and if it does well we will consider adding more species" ***!!?? This is STAR WARS! Its what makes the whole franchise so alive and real is the fact that there are thousands of species through out the galaxy. Bioware you really want to make money? Add new species in the Catel Market. Introduce Cathar, Togruta, Nautolen, etc the one people have really been asking for and add more as time goes on. And even if you dont do that add more species to the npc world! Some of these areas on different planets are really dull. Just last night I realized that the pretty much abandoned cantina on Corusant had all these extra rooms. I explored each one looking for any type of lore object and as i explored I saw the same white male black sun smuggler in every room. That was it! In 5 rooms and like 3 to each room was the same npc over and over again. That is just plain lazy bioware.

All in all i love the game I participated in game testing and was playin by 12 noon est on the 1st day of early access. I have the 3 month sub plan and have paid for every month. The game was fine to me in the beging as I was a absolute noob to MMO's all together and a absolute Star Wars fan and Kotor fan. But, I realized as time went on, especially with the ghost towns the servers became that major things had to change. I will congratulate Bioware for making the neccessary changes and improving gameplay by a lot. Keep up the great work but just becarefull with the Cartel Market plz, you could go either way with it. I know its been a huge cash cow since its began but when you start to recover all the money that was spent to make the game and you start to make a profit, make sure you take care of your die hard subs and show some love. May the force be with you, Peace.

Hmmm sounded like words, sounded like a lot of words but I can't really figure out what new information was supplied. Some time in the far distant future we will see a baber shop, not really a shocker and a species that was promised in 2012 might be out this year. Kinda wish there had been some news or some dates not just a some time in the future.

Nice to hear they are getting a lot more players and money but until that money shows improvement in the game not sure how its relevant.

Edited by Izorii

The cosmetic change options should be a free perk for subscribers just like free respecs.

Too bad the release cycle is 8 weeks though to be fair 6 weeks was never set in stone. As long as it doesn't become 10+ weeks it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I think the biggest question mark is class stories. Since this is a story focused game, when will our class stories be advanced? I want to know what happens beyond chapter 3 and how our relationships with our companions develops.

Most importantly, where is the evidence that they are reinvesting their profits back into the game?

I think most MMO shops could stand to learn a few lessons from Trion about how to plan, build and run their platform.

Edited by Projawa

An 8 weekly content update?? wasn't it announced as a 6 weekly content update?? have use added another 2 weeks to that?

Exactly. Now they silently raise the update frequent to 8 weeks. In state of the game #4 he will raise it again for 2 weeks and at some point we are back where we were after 1.2: No major updates for several months.

I'm starting to see the point of subscribing less and less... Back a month or so ago when I would hear peeps complaining about the F2P not dishing out EVERYTHING, I came back with "yeah, because they want to give you EVERYTHING for free, right?". But now having to pay to change your hairstyle when you are already subscribed? Something you can do in LotRO, another F2P mmo, for 100% free?? Come on! Thank god I spend close to half an hour painstakingly etching out my alts before I work them up to higher levels... Somethings should really not be paid for twice! As a subscriber we should get the MAXIMUM amount of content whenever it launches because, you know, we're already paying for it! And to anyone saying you get Cartel Coins for free each month when you subscribe, if a sub is $15 a month, please please tell me where the 'free' part is?

Final Thought: The more you give to subscribers, the more people will realize it's what they should be doing, not the other way around!!

This says it all really

This....wanna improve my quality of life in this game? I have 2 50s and a 42 on a server I was forced to go to that I haven't played in a year. I will not be interested in anything new that comes out until I can play them on the server I chose to play on when my original server started dying.

Very good to hear that the game has had over 2 mil more accounts over the last 4 months. PSO2 in japan has only had 1.7 mil accounts total since it's launch in July last year and that is a very popular game with a similar model.

Funny how people on the forums are arguing about the 8 weeks or 6-8 weeks and I just read one that said 4-6 weeks updates. It was originally 6 weeks then they revised it to 6-8 weeks so 8 weeks is fine.

Cathar was mentioned to be a CM purchase a few months ago and it was fairly obvious to me that a barber shop would be a CM purchase too , in fact I'm sure people screamed at BioWare to include it , even if it was going to be a CM purchase.

Anyways the extra accounts is a very positive thing indeed , very pleasing.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Please someone actually working over there just look at this.

JUNE 4th 2012 where you promise Cathar along with a bunch of other stuff. Really look at the date. You're now saying Cathar will only come Early Summer... It takes you more then 1 year to produce a new playable race where there are already character models in game.

I've been here since early launch and a sub since then but seriously your development is really starting to look as an Epic Fail. Everything you produce now is CM only. How in the name of reason do you intend to get new subscriber with that... Looking at this you really should just remove the subscription model, period, as you certainly don't seem to care at all for us Loyal customers.

Still no news about future content after the expansion. I am starting to wonder if they have anything planned :)

Ah well, apparently they are working for hood toggle, so atleast someone should be happy.

Of course they have stuff planned. First, fire development team that works on content. Second, hire more artists to create new armor models, character models, hair models, speeder models, etc. Third, sell all new "content" in new Cartel Packs on Cartel Market. Fourth, watch profits soar as whales dump abundant amounts of cash into Cartel Market in order to have the slimmest of chances to pull some sweet armor or speeders in order to run Black Hole dailies.