Fearful in EC

Okay I have seen MANY different posts on how fearful works. Everything from distance from tank, distance from Zorn, distance from Toth, and then even it being conal. Can I get an honest explanation of how it works exactly. I just know that my dps are telling me they are 28 meters away and sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't. Please explain!

If you call out when Toth is jumping to Zorn, every DPS who will be attacking ZORN, should back away from him and be at least 30 meters away. As a sniper I just stop attacking and back off a few extra meters until the jump is done. Check to make sure I don't have the Fearful debuff, then move back to 30'ish meters to attack again. Even if I'm at 32 meters before the jump I still do this because Fearful is worse than 3 seconds out of combat a few times during a fight.

Fearful is applied by Zorn and has a 30 meter radius. Your DPS, at one point or another, are going to get it. They have to recognize it and be careful during transitions.

You are partially correct.

Zorn will do the fearfull effect but it only goes to 28 meters. So if you have the info enabled on the target nameplate icon you can see your exact distance. The tank can keep still until the red circle aoe phase which then everyone has to run it is best to run out of range and barely into it to keep fearfull from applying.

Furthermore, if you have your ranged on Zorn (30m-35m) then it will be easy to never get fearful during the whole boss fight unless you are careless and get to close during the red circle phase mania.

It's actually 25m, not 30. If they are getting it, than they are within the 25m most likely during the tank swap, when Toth Jumps.

This.

It's 25m from TOTH when he lands his jump. People mistakenly think its 30m from zorn. I'm a dirty fighting GS and my dots have a 30m range. I stand at 29m and rarely get fearful.

The positioning of TOTH/ZORN is equally as important as you could end up being a lot closer to TOTH than ZORN when the jump lands.

This.

It's 25m from TOTH when he lands his jump. People mistakenly think its 30m from zorn. I'm a dirty fighting GS and my dots have a 30m range. I stand at 29m and rarely get fearful.

The positioning of TOTH/ZORN is equally as important as you could end up being a lot closer to TOTH than ZORN when the jump lands.

^^^^^

This.

from toth?!?!? trolololol?

I may be incorrect but yeah I'm quite certain the range originates from where Toth lands, not where Zorn stands. May seem weird, but I'm pretty sure its true.

The reason I believe this is because if the group stands in a normal triangle with the ranged sitting at 30m from Zorn, they sometimes get fearful due to the fact that Toth lands a bit closer, cutting the distance to less than 30m.

There is also another point to consider which is that the debuff originates from the centre of the target (Whether that be Toth as I believe it to be, or Zorn as others believe it to be).

Now the actual bosses target window probably has a diameter of about 6m, meaning when your target frame says hes 27m away, youre 27m away from his edge, and thus about 30m away from his centre. Which in turn kind of explains how some people manage to sit at around 28m (According to their target frame) and never get fearful.

I could be very much wrong, but thats what I feel seems to be happening. It's also the reason why we always just split into two groups, instead of trying to have the ranged sit in the middle, they sit 30m away from Zorn near the walls (forming a sort of 90 degree square-corner triangle). They rarely get fearful, but the downside to this is that they have further to run with the Yellow Circle in HM.

from toth?!?!? trolololol?

Seems that way to me. I've been 32m from

ZORN and still got the rebuff. I've therefore assumed that the rebuff was applied from TOTHs position.

Happy to be wrong if I am :) I work on that assumption and rarely get the rebuff though.

A quick google took me to tankingtor.com and they agree with me but meh whatever.

http://www.tankingtor.com/2012/03/swtor-pve-explosive-conflict-zorn-and.html?m=1

Edited by Ejou

I may be incorrect but yeah I'm quite certain the range originates from where Toth lands, not where Zorn stands. May seem weird, but I'm pretty sure its true.

I agree, and I expect it is 30m from where Toth lands. My DPS sage stands 29m away from Zorn at all times, and never gets fearful, unless I pull aggro just before a jump. But I also stand fairly close to the canyon wall, so Toth lands slightly further away from me than where Zorn is standing. If I move too far to my left though, I have seen fearful, even at the same range from Zorn.

When Toth jumps to Zorn it applies the Fearful debuff potential on Zorn. (( You can watch his buff/debuff bar, a countdown timer for Fearful starts the second Toth lands,)) If you damage Zorn and are below the 30 meter range during that time, you'll get the debuff and have to swap targets.

If you're out of the 30 m range when the jump occurs and then damage him, you won't get the debuff.

I've avoided Fearful by dotting Toth after the jump (2 GCDs), then return to Zorn. The only time I actually move is when you have to. (red circles // yellow circle)

Also: The Bioware development team will not comment on Boss Mechanics. I sent them a message once asking about using extrication on the person that has the bomb during Kephess. I feel it's an exploit because the player can be extricated well before he ever plants the bomb up against the walker. (Once the cable goes up, you can use it and the bomb still goes off.) If the player never makes it to the walker, why should it blow up? It's easily not working as intended.

I wasn't answered due to "Not being allowed to discuss boss mechanics".

Even something as small as that, couldn't be clarified on. It's ridiculous. Thankfully, I run with healers who aren't terrible and can heal the fight properly. :)

So now we have about 3 different answers again :) BW PLEASE TELL US 100% FOR SURE HOW IT WORKS

From my experience, it is applied from Zorn within a 25m radius. I believe it only occurs when Toth jumps to Zorn (hence why melee ONLY EVER DPS Toth)

Fortunately, none of our raid is ever within 25m of Zorn (except one tank who promptly switches target to Toth) when the jump occurs for me to give you additional information. But, the fearfull debuff IS THE REASON for the tank swap.

Edited by DenitharPurloin

When Toth jumps to Zorn it applies the Fearful debuff potential on Zorn. (( You can watch his buff/debuff bar, a countdown timer for Fearful starts the second Toth lands,)) If you damage Zorn and are below the 30 meter range during that time, you'll get the debuff and have to swap targets.

If you're out of the 30 m range when the jump occurs and then damage him, you won't get the debuff.

I've avoided Fearful by dotting Toth after the jump (2 GCDs), then return to Zorn. The only time I actually move is when you have to. (red circles // yellow circle)

Also: The Bioware development team will not comment on Boss Mechanics. I sent them a message once asking about using extrication on the person that has the bomb during Kephess. I feel it's an exploit because the player can be extricated well before he ever plants the bomb up against the walker. (Once the cable goes up, you can use it and the bomb still goes off.) If the player never makes it to the walker, why should it blow up? It's easily not working as intended.

Even something as small as that, couldn't be clarified on. It's ridiculous. Thankfully, I run with healers who aren't terrible and can heal the fight properly. :)

Theres always a fine line between exploit and clever use of skills/mechanics :p Odd that they wouldnt reply though, but atleast it sort of proves it isnt a exploit and simply a clever little trick to make things easier.

I have been in a few 8-man groups with 4 ranged DPS where I NEVER MOVED from 28-29m from Zorn when the jump occurred. I have NEVER received the fearful debuff. Perhaps 8 and 16 man have different ranges?

I have never tried 16 man btw

Theres always a fine line between exploit and clever use of skills/mechanics :p Odd that they wouldnt reply though, but atleast it sort of proves it isnt a exploit and simply a clever little trick to make things easier.

Clever use of game mechanics is usually an exploit. :p That's just the spin players put on it to justify themselves.

I have been in a few 8-man groups with 4 ranged DPS where I NEVER MOVED from 28-29m from Zorn when the jump occurred. I have NEVER received the fearful debuff. Perhaps 8 and 16 man have different ranges?

I have never tried 16 man btw

I'm also in an 8 man only guild but I've always changed targets during the leap for 2 gcds (affliction/creeping terror onto torn) .

:)

If this is the case, It's like a plaque on Zorn, How long does the Fearful debuff potential on Zorn last? Same as it does on players? If it's a shorter period, then it doesnt matter how close to Zorn you are as long as you attack Toth during this cooldown.? This may make it easier to just switch to Toth for 1 rotation during this period. The only time I have this problem is when the jump occurs directly after the circle phase, because sometimes the safest path out of them is forward.

If this is the case, It's like a plaque on Zorn, How long does the Fearful debuff potential on Zorn last? Same as it does on players? If it's a shorter period, then it doesnt matter how close to Zorn you are as long as you attack Toth during this cooldown.? This may make it easier to just switch to Toth for 1 rotation during this period. The only time I have this problem is when the jump occurs directly after the circle phase, because sometimes the safest path out of them is forward.

This is what I do on healer AND ranged DPS....stay 29m from your target, if it is the tank when I am healing i make sure i am closer to the tank than the boss. When the red circle phase comes move forward out of the red circle, as SOON AS the rocks jut up from the ground, return to 29m...rinse and repeat and you will NEVER be out of placement for the jump.

Its a 5 second thing. You can't hit zorn with anything when that leap occurs (If you have dots, it actually wipes them off and they need to be reapplied when its safe), its better to just back off or go through a couple of gcds to Toth. I stayed 28 meters away tonight and never got the debuff by swapping on the leap tonight for a few gcds. I think a lot of people are so used to their rotation that if they don't swap off zorn, theyll end up getting the debuff and not realize it until they're dead.

The debuff is applied to everyone within X meters from Toth when Toth lands from jumping to Zorn. It's entirely possible to be 35m+ from Zorn and still get the debuff if you're positioned poorly.

This is what I was talking about with reapplying dots/damage on the leap. You'll get nailed with fearful at that point if ANY Damage hits zorn and you're in range of fearful

Edited by veyl