Lightsaber of Ven Zallow

Lord_Xeon

I just wondered why have the most seen lightsaber in advertising, trailers rendered wrongly. My character wields the saber in the opposite direction like this http://tor.zamimg.com/uploads/images/550.jpg and not as it should be like this http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120715021733/starwars/images/5/5c/Toren.jpg

I know it may have sounded outrageous but i believe these little things make a game enjoyable.

I just wondered why have the most seen lightsaber in advertising, trailers rendered wrongly. My character wields the saber in the opposite direction like this http://tor.zamimg.com/uploads/images/550.jpg and not as it should be like this http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120715021733/starwars/images/5/5c/Toren.jpg

I know it may have sounded outrageous but i believe these little things make a game enjoyable.

i've swapped back 4 or 5 times and still can't tell the difference...if you are retentive enough to care about something like this....going to be very hard to please you in this game IMO. Details matter yes, but when picked apart ad nauseam that is a bit excessive.

You can tell that they are the same but it wields in wrong way. I wouldn't say anything about a different saber but this one has appeared in what,2 cinematics and all it must be done is just reversing the wielding point.

I didn't mean how he holds it i meant how he wields it. Imagine wielding this http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130316025031/turtledove/images/e/ee/Katana3.jpg in a way that sharp edge would face the wielder.

But ... ehhhhh ... the lightsaber dont have a sharp edge ;) It doesnt matter how you wielding it , you still can cut Darth Baras in half.

and to be honest , I dunno what are you talking about.

http://prikachi.com/images/583/7284583f.jpg

These jedi wield it the same way. Am I missing something ?

Edited by iankalo

Even if they held it differently it wouldn't exactly be striking with this type of saber. But if we take a look at curved sabers in the game, like Kallig's one-handed saber which you can get in the Inquisitor story line, it's looking really weird how the character holds it. Count Dooku and Asajj Ventress seem to prefer curved handles too, but they handle them in a much cooler fashion. ;)

Do you have a screen shot of how they hold the curved sabre hilts? Honestly I never used em in game and can't picture it. I have though fenced and have used pistol grips and sabre grips with a curve to them. Curved grips are really a 'control' feature and I always thought it a little silly in a star warsy context.

Pistol/curved grips are really a western fencing sort of thing, requiring fine point control on a blade with no edge or very little use of an edge, if you are slashing you want a better grip.

Do you have a screen shot of how they hold the curved sabre hilts? Honestly I never used em in game and can't picture it. I have though fenced and have used pistol grips and sabre grips with a curve to them. Curved grips are really a 'control' feature and I always thought it a little silly in a star warsy context.

Pistol/curved grips are really a western fencing sort of thing, requiring fine point control on a blade with no edge or very little use of an edge, if you are slashing you want a better grip.

Well, in the game the curve is only at the end, the part where the hand is is straight, so it's probably more a fashion thing. :)

As to how they hold it: Usually the tip of the curve would point "forward", that is, in the direction to where the arm points, right? In game it's pointed more to the back and slightly in, towards the body. Just think of the most counterintuitive way to hold a curved hilt and that's it. ;)

Edited by gblXsw

I inspected VERY closely and the pictures look the same, with the high point of the hilt pointed just a little past his knuckles. However, I think they're both wrong. I would say that the high point of the hilt is supposed to point towards the center of the wielder's body. Nothing else makes sense, since as the saber is swung it's being used to block strikes from either side. I can't think of any logical reason to point the hilt's high side any direction other than towards the center of the wielder's body.

He only has the saber held over his head because he's in the middle of initiating a strike . . . there IS

the first time they battle... but to me it looks like a foolish stance that well-trained Jedi wouldn't ever use since it puts defensive moves as a much more remote possibility.

There is no logical explanation for holding the high part towards your body. It's simply a decorative detail for the hilt, it's not meant to do anything special. I think you're looking into too much detail there.

A lightsaber has no sharp edge, thus it makes no difference how you hold a straight-standart hilt. Of course, that's onyl if you don't have an excessive blade-guard. The guard on the picture is small and simple, it doesn't really matter how you hold it.

There is no logical explanation for holding the high part towards your body. It's simply a decorative detail for the hilt, it's not meant to do anything special. I think you're looking into too much detail there.

A lightsaber has no sharp edge, thus it makes no difference how you hold a straight-standart hilt. Of course, that's onyl if you don't have an excessive blade-guard. The guard on the picture is small and simple, it doesn't really matter how you hold it.

You just completely contradicted yourself. In paragraph #2 you agree with me that the low part of the hilt should point AWAY from the wielder's body. Yet in your first paragraph you claim there's no logical explanation to have the high part towards the body.

You're completely in agreement with my logic, it just boils down to a debate over what size of hilt rise is significant enough to be better pointed towards the wielder instead of away. Of course you know what my conclusion is, I don't really need to re-state it. . . :cool:

You just completely contradicted yourself. In paragraph #2 you agree with me that the low part of the hilt should point AWAY from the wielder's body. Yet in your first paragraph you claim there's no logical explanation to have the high part towards the body.

You're completely in agreement with my logic, it just boils down to a debate over what size of hilt rise is significant enough to be better pointed towards the wielder instead of away. Of course you know what my conclusion is, I don't really need to re-state it. . . :cool:

No, I'm not. Read it again. I don't even slightly agree with you.

My example on the taller guard is meant for Lightsabers like this:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/323/e/8/e8630a09a1df2a5d33a68dbbff553450-d2stqpv.jpg

THAT requires a special way of holding it. The thing I'm reffering to isn't even a decoration, it's a weapon in itself. What you've got there is a decoration, nothing more. Making sure this decoration points a certain way is pointless, it distracts your mind from anything important in combat. Read it again:

"IF the guard is big enough, it should point a certain way. The guard on the picture is too small for that to matter tough.".

Pointing THIS or a similliar hilt guard anywhere special is nonsense. My post was for very big guards, such as the Lightsaber above.

Edited by Alssaran

No, I'm not. Read it again. I don't even slightly agree with you.

My example on the taller guard is meant for Lightsabers like this:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/323/e/8/e8630a09a1df2a5d33a68dbbff553450-d2stqpv.jpg

THAT requires a special way of holding it. The thing I'm reffering to isn't even a decoration, it's a weapon in itself. What you've got there is a decoration, nothing more. Making sure this decoration points a certain way is pointless, it distracts your mind from anything important in combat. Read it again:

"IF the guard is big enough, it should point a certain way. The guard on the picture is too small for that to matter tough.".

Pointing THIS or a similliar hilt guard anywhere special is nonsense. My post was for very big guards, such as the Lightsaber above.

If you consider the context of lightsaber battle between highly trained duelists, you'd have to admit that the seemingly small hilt rise is in fact significant enough. During battle, blocking a heavy blow requires a bracing form by stepping one foot backwards a certain distance to prevent being pushed backwards by being tipped over. Step back that foot a couple inches short, and the incoming blow will throw you off-balance in the middle of a defensive maneuver and would immediately result in defeat.

It's the same with the hilt guard. In fact I looked at the picture again just now and it's far more significant than I realized at first. The hilt guard in that photo is at least twice the width of a lightsaber blade, a good 3 inches or more, and looks even larger still in the SWToR picture, which is so large it goes off the frame of the picture.

Anyone who's played baseball for enough years to notice the small details, would tell you that the wearer of the baseball glove becomes one with the glove. After using the same baseball glove for a long period of time, the wearer becomes 100% familiar with the shape of that one glove, and it becomes an intuition of what area of the glove and at what angles the baseball will hit and nestle perfectly into the web of that glove (a perfect catch). Catch the ball too low on the palm, and it hits like a brick and possibly falls on the ground and the play is botched. Change to a new glove, and the "catching zone" of the glove has to be completely re-learned and it takes a while for the wearer to become proficient again with the new glove, to the level of exactitude as with the previous glove.

It would no doubt be the same with lightsabers. The wielder of the equipment becomes one with the equipment. The lightsaber hilt, and how close the beginning of the blade is to the top of the hilt where the wielder's hands are located, is of extreme importance, especially when dueling a foe that's of the same or better skill level. That extra few inches of lightsaber blade right at the top of the hilt would be of EXTREME importance in any highly technical lightsaber duel. EXTREME. Extreme importance. The area right next to the wielder's hands would be the point on the blade where the wielder would be able to achieve the most exact positioning of an incoming saber as a block is performed. An extra 3+ inches of exposed lightsaber blade right at this most critical location is of very obvious importance.

One could also argue that the lightsaber might have vulnerable components that are exposed at that top edge of the hilt, and the blade guard may actually be a protective shroud for the saber itself. In which case the blade guard would need to always point directly away from the wielder, to protect the saber from being damaged by a savvy opponent. If the lightsaber isn't vulnerable to damage in this way though, the blade guard definitely belongs pointed towards the center of the wielder's body.

OK , how Im a lvl 20 f2p legend and Im killing all 24s twinks in WoW , when I "holding" the bow that way ?

http://prikachi.com/images/688/7286688W.jpg

How can I shoot if the bow`s string is over my hand ;p Dunno but ... Im always 1st with 30 kills and living WoW f2p legend.

In 2 words ... in game weapon wielding doesnt matter. Just learn how to use it ;)

Happy New Year to the hordes http://prikachi.com/images/585/6910585m.jpg

Edited by iankalo

If you consider the context of lightsaber battle between highly trained duelists, you'd have to admit that the seemingly small hilt rise is in fact significant enough. During battle, blocking a heavy blow requires a bracing form by stepping one foot backwards a certain distance to prevent being pushed backwards by being tipped over. Step back that foot a couple inches short, and the incoming blow will throw you off-balance in the middle of a defensive maneuver and would immediately result in defeat.

Dude, you don't need to explain to me how a guard works. I've been a fencer in many different styles (Iaido, European Broadsword, Rapier) for years. Reenactment and show, as well as free sparring.

The problem in your explanation is this: This hilt guard is propably NOT made out of a Lightsaber resistant material. As shown in the movies, a lightsaber blade simply cuts through a Lightsaber hilt (As seen in the very video you've posted.). Now, if this guard isn't made out of a Lightsaber resistant material it'd simply burn through the guard and hit the blade. It'd even be dangerous to utilize it to block without strong and thick gloves since the iron could splinter due to the pressure and heat and little pieces could penetrate your skin into your flesh.

As long as this thing isn't made out of Lightsaber resistant material (like Mandalorian Iron) you do not want this anywhere near the space between your Lightsaber blade and the enemies blade.

Dude, you don't need to explain to me ...

As long as this thing isn't made out of Lightsaber resistant material (like Mandalorian Iron) you do not want this anywhere near the space between your Lightsaber blade and the enemies blade.

No need to be condescending.

It seems like you interpreted my last post in some odd direction. I tried to explain the significance of every little detail, dimension, and proportion of the equipment and why every little thing can be hugely significant once you consider how the equipment is used and considering the case of a wielder with an extreme skill level.

My point was that it's useful to have the extra few inches of exposed lightsaber blade pointed towards the opponent, however there's a second just-as-obvious reason to have the high side of the hilt pointed directly at the wielder. Protection of the wielder from their own blade.

Dude, you don't need to explain to me how a guard works. I've been a fencer in many different styles (Iaido, European Broadsword, Rapier) for years. Reenactment and show, as well as free sparring.

Essentially, a hilt guard on a lightsaber serves a completely different purpose than a hilt guard on a traditional sword that's made of metal. Because the blade on a lightsaber will burn through just about anything that makes contact with it, whereas a blade made of metal is itself also a structural element and can have various things attached or fused or otherwise crafted to it.

I'm really not sure why the folks at BioWare (or whoever did all the art production) didn't figure out that the high side of the top of the hilt can only make sense pointed directly towards the center of the wielder's body.

Essentially, a hilt guard on a lightsaber serves a completely different purpose than a hilt guard on a traditional sword that's made of metal. Because the blade on a lightsaber will burn through just about anything that makes contact with it, whereas a blade made of metal is itself also a structural element and can have various things attached or fused or otherwise crafted to it.

I'm really not sure why the folks at BioWare (or whoever did all the art production) didn't figure out that the high side of the top of the hilt can only make sense pointed directly towards the center of the wielder's body.

Why in the holy mother of jabba the hutt's pungent butt would bioware care one bit about how the character model /holds/ a lightsaber. Is it really worthy enough to make a thread about? Do you think they'll see an influx of money from a miniscule change that at least half a dozen other posters haven't even been able to spot.

Lets be realistic here. It ain't gunna happen even if we assume you are right.

Edited by Myriagonvaltorix

Why in the ... would bioware care one bit about how the character model /holds/ a lightsaber.

Well the original thread wasn't about the hilt guard, it was about the lightsaber-wielding position of the wielder's arms. However, here we are with a fairly related topic.

Regarding the correct rotation of the lightsaber in the wielder's hand, I can only say that the creator went to the effort of creating the body models, armor models that scale to fit bodies, voice acting, storylines, sound effects for this that and the other thing, clothing flowing animations (for robes and such), special effects for explosions glitters and environmental glowing effects, vehicles, animations for all a character's abilities, animations for many of the social emotes... I don't know, does the correct vertical hilt rotation while gripped seem too tedious?

Well the original thread wasn't about the hilt guard, it was about the lightsaber-wielding position of the wielder's arms. However, here we are with a fairly related topic.

Regarding the correct rotation of the lightsaber in the wielder's hand, I can only say that the creator went to the effort of creating the body models, armor models that scale to fit bodies, voice acting, storylines, sound effects for this that and the other thing, clothing flowing animations (for robes and such), special effects for explosions glitters and environmental glowing effects, vehicles, animations for all a character's abilities, animations for many of the social emotes... I don't know, does the correct vertical hilt rotation while gripped seem too tedious?

Post launch. We're talking Post-launch here.

If you want to make the argument that they should've had it that way to start that's an argument that may be justified- the curved lightsabers and handguard Cartel sabers they have are pretty wonky too- but the point is they're out. It's done with. The games been out for over two years and i don't think anyone dropped their sub because they took one look at their characters lightsaber and said: "Wait a minute... ~Squints~ THAT SABER'S 30 DEGREES OFF! GODDARNIT. IM GOING BACK TO WOW!".

The common thing to say is 'they have your money they don't care', but that's not what i'm getting at. Sure. They should've (past tense) cared. But that saber and other guard sabers like it have been in the game for ages and for a year Bioware had a horrible habit of patching ridiculously minor things (like what you're talking about) and only recently has it made meaningful updates with almost every patch (and they're doing a great job recently as far as i'm concerned).

It's almost counter productive to ask them to once again put more emphasis on meaningless, miniscule issues like they used to. I for one don't want to encourage the devs back into their infamous "today's patch corrected a spelling issue on the codex entry for Nemr'o the Hutt... aaaand that is all" patches.

Post launch. We're talking Post-launch here.

It's almost counter productive to ask them to once again put more emphasis on meaningless, miniscule issues like they used to. I for one don't want to encourage the devs back into their infamous "today's patch corrected a spelling issue on the codex entry for Nemr'o the Hutt... aaaand that is all" patches.

Someone posted pics of 2 different lightsaber wielders, and I made an observation. What do I care if they fix it, it won't make much of a difference to me. It's... either exactly right, or not.

I'm just the person who tends to look at something long enough, and put enough thought into it that I get it right. And maybe I'm not even right ... maybe the purpose of the hilt rise is some crazy abstract reason like proper weight balance.

Ofcourse i'm not gonna quit playing because of the wielding style. Just saying it'd be nice to see it correctly done. Perhaps that guard was meant to face the wielder for protection or face the opponent to add more mass to your strikes i don't know either.