Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

CourtneyWoods

So we login with display name not email and what no Security Key too? If this is true how in the hell is this more secure?

I wonder if this has to do with security keys causing more problems then what they think its worth?

Edited by Sith-Viscera

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, send your developers to a

corrective training

they know nothing about security!

I do not think it is the Developers, I would expect it to be the Global Lawyers that are forcing this. See my previous post on this.

So we login with display name not email and what no Security Key too? If this is true how in the hell is this more secure?

I wonder if this has to do with security keys causing more problems then what they think its worth?

It still makes you use your security key which is good and I doubt they will be doing away with the key either.

:ph_danger:

Edited by Shukan

Unfrackingbelievable.

I'll admit that logging with an email address has it's flaws, but this is even worse. You do know that MMOs which ask you to log in via account name also strongly suggest, or even require, that your forum name be DIFFERENT from your account name, right???

*facepalm*

Option B: it does not allow unlimited false entries...

Result: After X false attempts, the account is automatically suspended for security reasons.

Further result: Everyone who dislikes a posting I did can take my screen name and try to login on my account... do this 20x false and my account is automatically suspended... Of course, my security is not compromised in this scenario, but I got the hassle with getting my account back to working properly.

So perhaps this is the modern kind of ignore-list or dis-like-button, now everybodyh has a chance the exclude players from the game, just give wrong answers to the secret security questions three times ...

I agree it is stupid at least with the email they would have to have your email first. Bad idea team you need to think of something else.

Once they have your display name which is readily available in the posting forums, all they have to do is a dictionary attack on the password presuming you do not use the security key, which if this moronic change takes place I would advise you to get ASAP.

Forum name and Login Name should ALWAYS be different. You're making accounts less secure not more secure under this model.

I dont see this being a huge change or drop in security, as it has already been possible to log in with either the account email or forum name for a long time.

I do see it being a problem for people who rarely use the forums and may not remember their forum names. There will definitely need to be notifications sent via email about this.

I also see it being an issue for those who may have previously played the game and return for the expansion. If it has been long enough they likely will not remember their forum name, and who knows what sort of hoops they would have to jump through in order to retrieve the name.

Once they have your display name which is readily available in the posting forums, all they have to do is a dictionary attack on the password presuming you do not use the security key, which if this moronic change takes place I would advise you to get ASAP.

It has been possible to log in with display- name for months now. This change do nothing else than protecting your e-mail and your Origin account.

I don't understand how this help security. No one knows what email I use to log in. Everyone knows your 'Display Name'. Granted they need to know the security questions, but knowing each persons display name is one less barrier IMO.

Go figure. It makes little sense. Actually, it makes no sense at all.

All this is, is another attempt to copy WoW.

Probably this is another attempt to sell us something for account protection. Don't doubt it.

Edited by RikHar

Like i said, you can already log in by using forum names, so what you're describing can already be done.

Yep, they first made it possible to use names to log in, then they get to remove ability to log in by email. Nobody notices change when it first appears, and then they just finalize it.

I don't understand how this help security. No one knows what email I use to log in. Everyone knows your 'Display Name'. Granted they need to know the security questions, but knowing each persons display name is one less barrier IMO.

My thoughts exactly. They gotta be kidding, right?

:cool:

It has been possible to log in with display- name for months now. This change do nothing else than protecting your e-mail and your Origin account.

Then please, tell me how it exactly works to give me more security to log in with my display-name. Maybe I'm not smart enough, how will that work to give me a better protection?

Edited by Han_Salo

So what happens if our forum name is actually the same as in game characters name??

this is utter madness

so at present I have a 4 tier security set up via e-mail and E-mail verification if used on any pc other than one registered and swtor key and game password,now it's down to 2 - key and password and they call this better security measures..umm don't think so it's BS as far as i am concerned....

Edited by Avorniel

On the flip side, our display names are very visible to US, here -- but we're all subscribers. While this could lead to personally-motivated hacking, I imagine the sheer volume of that pales in comparison to the sort of email address farming sketched out above.

Note: Non-subscribers can view the forums, they just can't post.

So, it really just changes the method the farmers have to use to find our login info and makes it less of a crap shoot. Trying to login with random emails would result in a number of completely non-existent accounts. Trying to login with Display names that can be viewed directly through the forums results in a definite account every time. They may still have to figure out the password and security questions, but they still know it is an account and they are closer to actually getting in than hoping that random email is attached to an account.

Really, if they want to make it more secure they should be telling us to create a new unique Account Name.

Edited by Blackavaar

So what happens if our forum name is actually the same as in game characters name??

:confused: The names of any of your in-game characters are irrelevant to logging in.

Note: Non-subscribers can view the forums, they just can't post.

So, it really just changes the method the farmers have to use to find our login info and makes it less of a crap shoot. Trying to login with random emails would result in a number of completely non-existent accounts. Trying to login with Display names that can be viewed directly through the forums results in a definite account every time. They may still have to figure out the password and security questions, but they still know it is an account and they are closer to actually getting in than hoping that random email is attached to an account.

Really, if they want to make it more secure they should be telling us to create a new unique Account Name.

Actually, with logging in by account name being available for months now -- apparently -- this risk already exists, and I suppose is being actively exploited by those who seek to exploit.

I can't argue against a new account name idea, but I don't really expect that sort of system to be added by April, either. :/

I don't know why they couldn't have taken the time to do a write up on how they think it is supposed to improve security. I hate it when they make statments without backing them up. Edited by actorman

This upcoming security downgrade is a really bad idea for the reasons discussed earlier. Most logins have been moving away from the username format. This is the first time I have heard of anyone moving back to the username login format.

I would really like some clarification on why swtor is doing this.

Then please, tell me how it exactly works to give me more security to log in with my display-name. Maybe I'm not smart enough, how will that work to give me a better protection?

Display-name has been done for F2P as I assume they don't need Origin. It was a need.

Now, not allowing to use e-mail don't improve the security for your account, but do not decrease it either. However, by not filling the ID entry with your e-mail, it makes it more complicated to "steal" it. Then your e-mail is less in danger. Same goes for your Origin account.

So i hate my display name and wanted it changed, you guys said no and now i have to use it every time i log in, also how does this help security, it seems half brained more than anything, people do not know my email but they know my name just by seeing this post.