watchmen still kickin it

MindgameZ

well today on my sentinel I felt bad about being a smash monkey so I went back to watchmen because combat sux plain and simple. well I know the healing was badly nerfed but watchmen is still awesome. I went to ilum and found 2 smash heads and a sorc and like a retard attack:)ed with my healer companion. I won the fight 3v1. After that i joined some warzones and scored top of the charts on healing dps and objectives. Am i the only one who thinks watchmen is still viable? Reeled in a total of 21 impS on the open world today thanks to watchmen. Edited by MindgameZ

in what world does combat suck? it's tremendous. sents have 3 great trees. I'm told gs do as well. in rated, your cauterize will be cleansed regularly (you can count on an op healer). that's the only real argument against watchman as far as I'm concerned. I think it's also supposed to be a problem with dirty fighting? iunno. but watchman, unlike a pyro PT for example, can't reapply his dot at will, and that is a problem when you have to deal with a coordinated team. you also lack the utility of combat and (unless you're god mode) dps numbers of the smash monkies.

well today on my sentinel I felt bad about being a smash monkey so I went back to watchmen because combat sux plain and simple. well I know the healing was badly nerfed but watchmen is still awesome. I went to ilum and found 2 smash heads and a sorc and like a retard attack:)ed with my healer companion. I won the fight 3v1. After that i joined some warzones and scored top of the charts on healing dps and objectives. Am i the only one who thinks watchmen is still viable? Reeled in a total of 21 impS on the open world today thanks to watchmen.

Watchmen is viable if you're by yourself since you get better survivability with the self heals (basically its good for solo queuing)...that's really about it. Group fights it doesn't have the burst that focus and combat has and to say combat sucks is pure ignorance. Single target burst is insane on combat spec. I love watchmen, its my favorite spec and I still do quite well with it, but its definitely not up to par with combat.

I'm still watchman even after the nerf, and I have no problem beating the other two specs in dps or fights. Our dps wasn't touched, just survivability. But with certain gear setups you can make it just like the old days. ;)

Cleanse > Watchman

Well I hope you like spamming cleanse because that's all you'll be doing. ;) With a 5 second cooldown, good luck. :p

Edited by PoliteAssasin

In 1v1 fights, yes, watchman sentinel should win. However far inferior utility compared to Combat and far less damage compared to Focus. If you out-damage Focus sentinels it's simply because they are bad. It depends on the game, but usually, the damage output of Focus is 50% - 100% higher than Watchman Edited by Pahomi

i was Annihilation, a stubborn annihilation marauder.

Respeced to Carnage, played it alot before NOT RESPECING TO ANNIHILATION!

Equaly geared i 3 shoot a watchman or annihilation if im fast enough to get that scream b4 they aply their defensive.

Massacre-gore-ravage 2 hits, interrupt, then scream= dead. IF they popped their defensive saber throw (immobilize)

w8- force choke= dead; IF they healed with stym, after force choke gore and scream.

All 1v1 ofc. in team play both get heals, but their dots get cleansed.

i LOVE to the gameplay of annihilation, played it 11 months; is fun as hell and against healers, although they cleanse, the 20% heal debuff+annihilate was so much fun, and interrupt em all the time with the charge...but ; i ve found a well played carnage will out class an annihilation . predation of carnage is priceless in rated pvp.

Ive also found that now i can kill snipers b4 they kill me.

Equaly geared i 3 shoot a watchman or annihilation if im fast enough to get that scream b4 they aply their defensive.

Massacre-gore-ravage 2 hits, interrupt, then scream= dead. IF they popped their defensive saber throw (immobilize)

w8- force choke= dead; IF they healed with stym, after force choke gore and scream.

i LOVE to the gameplay of annihilation, played it 11 months; is fun as hell and against healers, although they cleanse, the 20% heal debuff+annihilate was so much fun, and interrupt em all the time with the charge...but ; i ve found a well played carnage will out class an annihilation . predation of carnage is priceless in rated pvp.

That's true, the burst of Combat/Carnage is insane. However, when I said a watchman would win a 1v1 encounter I of course meant that that watchman would properly counter your master strike and precision slash. We have three interrupts, cloaking, stasis and awe, all of them lasting long enough for precision slash to expire. So you will not be able to get a full master strike and you will not be able to use precision slash either. Both of these can be easily countered. However, the burns and self healing of the watchman can not be countered by a combat sent. That is why if two equally skilled sentinels would fight watchman vs combat, watchman should win.

But as I've said before, this is not a 1v1 game nor was it balanced for that. This is a team game and at the moment, Combat and Focus are ahead of Watchman.

Edited by Pahomi

I agree with most of what you have to say. But at least on my server rage maras don't get high numbers unless they are backed by heals. Same with combat. The single target burst is nice, but its easily countered by anyone who knows when to stun. Classes that can cleanse may be able to slow down watchmen, but it can only be for so long as we're always putting dots whether it be OS or cauterize which has a high proc chance. It's not completely shut out like a combats dps.

I do however like the utility of the combat tree. The roots, the improved trans. But because its so easy to counter its a useless spec to me. While you are correct it is a team game, there are many instances where 1v1ing is required in a warzone. For example if you're guarding, or the last survivor at a node. It's better to be a watchman than focus or combat in those situations. If we are talking about knowledgeable players that is. :)

Edited by PoliteAssasin

Get stunned when you have gore up

-1000000000000000000 dps

I'm still watchman even after the nerf, and I have no problem beating the other two specs in dps or fights. Our dps wasn't touched, just survivability. But with certain gear setups you can make it just like the old days. ;)

Well I hope you like spamming cleanse because that's all you'll be doing. ;) With a 5 second cooldown, good luck. :p

This is true with uncoordinated teams but when you have healers cross healing healers you will die before the healer dies. With Combat you have a slight chance to burst one healer down.

So it still goes Watchmen >Cleanse for now.

Watchmen is viable if you're by yourself since you get better survivability with the self heals (basically its good for solo queuing)...that's really about it. Group fights it doesn't have the burst that focus and combat has and to say combat sucks is pure ignorance. Single target burst is insane on combat spec. I love watchmen, its my favorite spec and I still do quite well with it, but its definitely not up to par with combat.

Well combat does not suck , i worded that wrong. But i do think watchmen is slightly better for the fact that once combat burst is over , you are doing nearly nothing for at least 5 seconds after the burst , as for watchmen we have good hard hitting abilitys , cauterize can be cleaned yes , but with precision slash we still get pretty good healing and burns on our attacks , cauterize is a good bonus to that as you get dot + burns and you must remember many times healers are focusing other targets and on the open world , i never have much luck in a sustained fight with more than 2 people on combat.

Well combat does not suck , i worded that wrong. But i do think watchmen is slightly better for the fact that once combat burst is over , you are doing nearly nothing for at least 5 seconds after the burst , as for watchmen we have good hard hitting abilitys , cauterize can be cleaned yes , but with precision slash we still get pretty good healing and burns on our attacks , cauterize is a good bonus to that as you get dot + burns and you must remember many times healers are focusing other targets and on the open world , i never have much luck in a sustained fight with more than 2 people on combat.

precision slash as watchman:rak_02:

That's true, the burst of Combat/Carnage is insane. However, when I said a watchman would win a 1v1 encounter I of course meant that that watchman would properly counter your master strike and precision slash. We have three interrupts, cloaking, stasis and awe, all of them lasting long enough for precision slash to expire. So you will not be able to get a full master strike and you will not be able to use precision slash either. Both of these can be easily countered. However, the burns and self healing of the watchman can not be countered by a combat sent. That is why if two equally skilled sentinels would fight watchman vs combat, watchman should win.

But as I've said before, this is not a 1v1 game nor was it balanced for that. This is a team game and at the moment, Combat and Focus are ahead of Watchman.

I wrote i cancel "ravage" or "master strike" at the second hit for a faster scream. precision slash , or massacre are instant and not on cd; so is easy to get the buff back. as soon as i see the rupture (do not remember how the name is for jedi, cauterize?) i cloak or choke; or aoe stun. to play carnage you have to be really fast; a razer naga is awesome for this. We have the same defensives, but predation you are faster, harder to hit and get a 10% melee defence. Dunno; at the end is player´s skill; i can only say that most of the time i can kill a good watchman, but is way harder against a combat; in that case is just who gets the first gore out and the first ravage out. Problem i see is that to play carnage adecuatly you really, REALLY have to be very fast, know when to cancel and when to unload a whole ravage; not scream without gore b4 (or ravage). I respec to anni once a while cause its fun but it is more rare now after getting better results with carnage. annihilation in rated i do at least 30% less damage and kills.

I wrote i cancel "ravage" or "master strike" at the second hit for a faster scream. precision slash , or massacre are instant and not on cd; so is easy to get the buff back. as soon as i see the rupture (do not remember how the name is for jedi, cauterize?) i cloak or choke; or aoe stun. to play carnage you have to be really fast; a razer naga is awesome for this. We have the same defensives, but predation you are faster, harder to hit and get a 10% melee defence. Dunno; at the end is player´s skill; i can only say that most of the time i can kill a good watchman, but is way harder against a combat; in that case is just who gets the first gore out and the first ravage out. Problem i see is that to play carnage adecuatly you really, REALLY have to be very fast, know when to cancel and when to unload a whole ravage; not scream without gore b4 (or ravage). I respec to anni once a while cause its fun but it is more rare now after getting better results with carnage. annihilation in rated i do at least 30% less damage and kills.

Watchman/annihilation will almost always do more "scoreboard" kills because of the party heals it gives in my experience. Thats why its not unusual to see people of that spec be credited with like 70-80+ kills in a voidstar do you really think they where involved in that many kills directly? Usually, no but if they are giving party heals to the other dps in there party and if they're good then they're credited with those kills.

Edited by AngusFTW