Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

revansowns

Lucky for the One Ring creation was "only there can it be unmade" :)

However, a friend of mine schooled me on LOTR lore when I posted this thread on my FB. Basically if the planet was destroyed, than that means the Maia and Valur (sp?) would also be destroyed. Hence the Sauron is dead, the ring is now just a gold ring. His soul/power no longer inhabits a portion of the ring. A second shot would take the ring itself. I'll repost that info here in an edit.

EDIT: [My friend Jerry]

i consider myself a Tolkien master and i will have to say that when the world was created in the Silmarillion, it was created by music, making the possibility for a deathstar to be made impossible, due to the lack of nuclear material necessary to power it. but if we where to cross realities, then we have to take in the fact that Ea is a planet while the Deathstar is a planet destoyer, and without the existence of the planet, the Valar would not exist, and if Aule dies, then sauron dies, no matter what. plus, there is no space defence on either Middle-Earth or Aman. thus, Deathstar>One Ring

the ring is a hoarcrux, and it has a spell that makes it indestructible except for the fires in which forged it, for they are the hottest fires in all of Ea. yet the existence of the Maiar is dependent on the existence of the Valar they served and who created them. in the Silmarillion, Eru, the father of the Valar, stated that if Ea should break, then all life would end. if Aule should die, so would Sauron, and the one ring would just be a piece of gold floating around in space. Deathstar>One Ring [/My Friend Jerry]

I think I disagree with Jerry. After Arda became round*, Valinor isn't any longer part of the planet. Its unclear if it is another planet/moon now or if it just floats there in space.

The Valar seem very comparable to the Ones from the Mortis arc in The Clone Wars. They are definitly magical entities = Force entities, so I think the Death Star wouldn't affect them. ("The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.") It wouldn't completely destroy Maiar like Sauron either, I guess. Sauron's spirit escaped from Numenor** after all, so he might be lingering around in space an it might even be easier for him to find the ring, which is also floating around in space.

But what if some Jedi (many Jedi) created a permanent Wall of Light around the Ring? Would it become useless for Sauron, because he couldn't connect with it anymore?

*For those who haven't read it: the World with middle earth on it was once flat. But then some humans wanted to conquere Valinor because there the immortal Valar and Elves were living and they thought they could steal Immortality from them. Iluvatar (=God) buried them under some mountains, sunk their home (the Island Numenor) into the sea and removed Valinor from Arda, while giving Arda planet shape.

**Sauron was on Numenor during this time. He fell into the abyss and his physical form was destroyed. But his spirit got out of it, taking the ring with him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he has physical form during lord of the ring series - the eye is just a metaphor

Where is his physical form during the series? I thought he existed purely as his spirit after he was defeated, but until the ring was destroyed he would always sort of exist? An "as long as the ring exists, so does he" sort of situation.

Okay the answer is NO

why the death star yes could blow a planet up

but could not destroy phrik metal http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phrik

Should the Rebel Base on Yavin 4 ever be discovered, Bail Prestor Organa created a holocron containing information on a list of other possible replacement planets. This holocron was left on Alderaan at the time of its destruction. However, the phrik container was so durable that it was able to withstand the Death Star's attack, and was later picked up by Han Solo's Renegade Squadron in order to find a new base.[5]It was also thought to be used to build battle droids in the days of the Clone Wars.

so death star could not destroy this metal, so it could not destroy a metal designed by a servant of the gods

Where is his physical form during the series? I thought he existed purely as his spirit after he was defeated, but until the ring was destroyed he would always sort of exist? An "as long as the ring exists, so does he" sort of situation.

he was in his Mordor's residence all the time

I think I disagree with Jerry. After Arda became round*, Valinor isn't any longer part of the planet. Its unclear if it is another planet/moon now or if it just floats there in space.

The Valar seem very comparable to the Ones from the Mortis arc in The Clone Wars. They are definitly magical entities = Force entities, so I think the Death Star wouldn't affect them. ("The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.") It wouldn't completely destroy Maiar like Sauron either, I guess. Sauron's spirit escaped from Numenor** after all, so he might be lingering around in space an it might even be easier for him to find the ring, which is also floating around in space.

But what if some Jedi (many Jedi) created a permanent Wall of Light around the Ring? Would it become useless for Sauron, because he couldn't connect with it anymore?

*For those who haven't read it: the World with middle earth on it was once flat. But then some humans wanted to conquere Valinor because there the immortal Valar and Elves were living and they thought they could steal Immortality from them. Iluvatar (=God) buried them under some mountains, sunk their home (the Island Numenor) into the sea and removed Valinor from Arda, while giving Arda planet shape.

**Sauron was on Numenor during this time. He fell into the abyss and his physical form was destroyed. But his spirit got out of it, taking the ring with him.

Interesting. The discussion didn't continue on much passed Jerry putting that in the FB thread so I'm going to defer to the two of you if this question ever swings my way again. Been way too long since I've kept up on LOTR continuity with the EU stuff.

I think it could, but biggest problem would be scoring direct hit on such a small object. LOTR has nothing anywhere near to same destructive power as that laser. As of that Phrik, I am going to assume it was not actually hit by the laser and rather survived destruction of the world which are two different things.

he has physical form during lord of the ring series - the eye is just a metaphore that Jackson twisted into some horrible idea that we have seen in the movies. I will refrain from commenting the rest of it because this whole topic is more like one of those that younglings make: what if son goku fight with supermannnn.

Interesting point about Sauron now i have to read the books( been like 10 years or something) also the younglings need not fight anymore http://www.screwattack.com/shows/originals/death-battle/death-battle-goku-vs-superman

While they said the 'Fires' or Heat or whatever in the Movies I remember reading that the Ring had to be dropped into the 'Cracks of Doom' inside the Volcano it wasn't to be melted by fire, but that would have been pretty dumb in the film.

This is simple. The One Ring was forged by Saurmon in the fires of Mt Doom. It can only be destroyed by the fires of mount doom. However, The DEATH STAR CAN BLOW UP MIDDLE EARTH !

So simply put, DEATH STAR ARE YOU FRICKIN KIDDING ME ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

This is simple. The One Ring was forged by Saurmon in the fires of Mt Doom. It can only be destroyed by the fires of mount doom. However, The DEATH STAR CAN BLOW UP MIDDLE EARTH !

So simply put, DEATH STAR ARE YOU FRICKIN KIDDING ME ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.

You haven't read this thread have you? Or you know, know anything about LOTR lore?

You haven't read this thread have you? Or you know, know anything about LOTR lore?

Mt. Doom can destroy The One Ring.

Deathstar can destroy Mt. Doom.

therefore

Deathstar can destroy The One Ring.

also

Borg can assimilate planets.

Deathstar is the size of a small moon.

therefore

Borg can assimilate Deathstar.

So the Borg go to Middle-Earth, assimilate ring technology, create invisible ringwraith borg to speed along the assimilation of the Deathstar, create hundreds of transwarp Deathstars and eliminate all of the core, rim, and outrim worlds as well as the alpha quadrant. Thereby saving us all from a future with more Abrams' Star Wars and Star Trek movies. That or we send a t-800 from the future to get him....either way.

Here is why the answer is "yes". The Deathstar can completely destroy the planet (i assume its called mid earth right?) the LOTR is based on. So there ya go. With no world and no beings or anything left, the ring becomes useless and powerless. Since Saurens link to mid earth is destroyed, he has zero power over it. The ring can now be destroyed.

End of Line...

The two lores, star wars and lotr, are very different. Star wars shy's away from the divine and combines technology with a deeper reality (the force). Lotr embraces the divine. Illutuvar created all things, the universe, the spirits and creatures. Nothing happened on middle earth that was not part of IIutuvar's plan. If the deathstar was meant to destroy middle earth, it would. But if Illutuvar had a different plan....then well probably an ignorant farm boy with no real flying skills would shoot a little tiny rocket through an equally tiny hole and destroy a planetoid!

While the force is a powerful ally, the divine is well divine.

No the Deathstar couldnt destroy the ring because when it fired its laser it would go right through the opening in the middle. Thats the one flaw of the Deathstar, it has to hit everything in the middle.....oh and the one spot that if u shoot it with a small fighter the whole thing blows up. :D

No.

It might be able to destroy the planet the ring was on and everyone on it, but the ring would survive and all the Death Star will have done is make it impossible to destroy the ring because it destroyed Mount Doom and the fires within where the ring could be destroyed.

Remember, the ring is magic, not technology. Technology can destroy the place where the magic was created but not the magically invincible ring that was created there.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

• 2 weeks later...
Love this thread! I even discussed this with my family! (all big LoTR and Star Wars fans)

We all came to the agreement that, no, it cannot "destroy" the ring.

The One Ring cannot be destroyed. It can only be un-made. The only thing that can "un-make" the ring is the fire of Mount Doom. The only way I could think the Death Star could destroy the ring is if, during the explosion of Middle Earth, some lava from Mount Doom hit and dissolved the Ring. :p

This, of course, is highly unlikely and very unrealistic. :D

That would be lucky…If luck you call it.:eek:

The two lores, star wars and lotr, are very different. Star wars shy's away from the divine and combines technology with a deeper reality (the force). Lotr embraces the divine. Illutuvar created all things, the universe, the spirits and creatures. Nothing happened on middle earth that was not part of IIutuvar's plan. If the deathstar was meant to destroy middle earth, it would. But if Illutuvar had a different plan....then well probably an ignorant farm boy with no real flying skills would shoot a little tiny rocket through an equally tiny hole and destroy a planetoid!

While the force is a powerful ally, the divine is well divine.

Who knows. Maybe the “ignorant farm boy with no real flying skills who shoot a little tiny rocket through an equally tiny hole and destroy a planetoid” was Illutuvars plan. :D

another question is if does surivie what would empoer paltine make of it :eek:

That is an interesting question. Seeing that the ring gives you the power to rule and Paltine already has that power. Would the magic of the ring combined with the force and increase his power, or wound the force and magic be incompatible and he would only get to use the greater of the two powers?

It's not a matter of heat or science. The Lord of the Rings makes it pretty clear that the one ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mount Doom. I'm sure its got something to do with magic and what-not.

I believe Gandalf mentions that it might be able to destroy the ring using the fires of a dragon as well - only there are no dragons anymore. Not in the film of course, but it's in the book.

I believe Gandalf mentions that it might be able to destroy the ring using the fires of a dragon as well - only there are no dragons anymore. Not in the film of course, but it's in the book.

That was for the other rings of power. "It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there are not now any dragons left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself."

That is an interesting question. Seeing that the ring gives you the power to rule and Paltine already has that power. Would the magic of the ring combined with the force and increase his power, or wound the force and magic be incompatible and he would only get to use the greater of the two powers?

I always assume magic = the Force, so I think for Palpatine the Ring would be a powerful Dark Side artifact. He wouldn't need it, but he could sure find some use for it.

Edited by Maaruin