More than one regualar downtime a week is a SERIOUS problem...

Cancrizans

I realize this is a young game and there will be some growing pains. But I know for a fact a LOT of people are becoming really turned off by this attitude of "OOoooo! We found a bug, let's take the servers down!". I am mad enough as it is and I am on EST. Can you imagine how pissed people in the West Coast are who are getting their service shut down at midnight every couple of days because of relatively insignificant issues?

Bro, you are so right on. I'm a west coaster, and these midnight shut down's have absolutely killed this game for me. I mean don't get me wrong, I love it in so many ways. But I'm constantly working during the day, only to build up my excitment for an all nighter, only to get slapped in the face and turned away at freaking MIDNIGHT.

Once a week would be BAD enough (how about 4am? douchebags) but twice a week? You've GOT to be kidding me. I am furious....

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really not so bad, there were MMO's that were days offline in a row, there were MMO's that had random server crashes almost every day the first months. I rather have they fix problems for users when they know what the problem is, than spoil their entertainment by leaving those problems unsolved.

Given the game and how much I am enjoying it, I see this as a non-issue. I think as a community the MMO gamers are becoming prone to complaining. I admit, I haven't seen another MMO need this much weekly correction. But there's a lot about this MMO I haven't seen before, period.

I do realize that I AM paying even for this downtime, but I'm also paying for a game that should be in working order. Giving my rathers, I don't mind stepping away for a few hours. And I have been No-Lifeing SWTOR.

EDIT: If you are going to make some comment about "I am glad the servers are down at least they are fixing the game", save your breath. Every other MMO I have ever played has fixed their games by taking the servers down once a week. And I will add this: I guarantee you wouldn't be singing the same song if they took them down during YOUR prime playing hours.

They *DO* take them down during MY prime playing hours, and i will sing that song. Im glad their down and fixing things. Your comment about every other MMO only going down once a week, sure.. that starts usually several months after release. Every MMO I have played from launch has gone through the same exact growing pains.. many even worse.. mobs stop spawning... devs dont know it, players cant do crap, dont get rebooted till morning.. oh crap.. unexpected down time..

Its an MMO. Its going to happen. If it bugs you that much, wait a couple months. This is normal and EXPECTED..

They *DO* take them down during MY prime playing hours, and i will sing that song. Im glad their down and fixing things. Your comment about every other MMO only going down once a week, sure.. that starts usually several months after release. Every MMO I have played from launch has gone through the same exact growing pains.. many even worse.. mobs stop spawning... devs dont know it, players cant do crap, dont get rebooted till morning.. oh crap.. unexpected down time..

Its an MMO. Its going to happen. If it bugs you that much, wait a couple months. This is normal and EXPECTED..

Not for these kinds of issues, sorry.

im in sydney and i am always getting this crap when im trying to play at 7pm - then im lucky if it comes up by 11pm

what a joke - GREAT game but you programmers need to release less often

Couldn't you just change your schedule a little? You could go to sleep super early, then wake up early and play swtor.

oh cmon it is a 2hrs downtime and is supposed to fix the freeze issues many players have!

All this QQing cause bioware tries to fix gamebreaking problems??

This forum is not even funny anymore ^^

True, not funny anymore.

I just wonder...

...how come there are companies out there, let's call them Trion, who are way smaller than let's say, a behemoth like Bioware, wo can put out an MMO that does not introduce constant "gamebreaking" bugs that require constant downtimes?

...how come small companies like trion can mnage their servers in such a way, that the weekly downtime takes a fraction of the time the behemoths Bioware and EA take?

...how come that there are many small companies out there who can shedule downtime differently in europe and the US, so that it's not hitting some players during daytime, every time?

It's not funny anymore, I'll grant you that. What has to happen?

Bioware should start testing patches before rolling them out. Currently it seems that "gamebreaking" bugs are fixed and the fix is rolled out in a hurry, untested, because the issue is so urgent. Judging by the number of such patches released, I'd say the subsequent lack of testing leads to more "gamebreaking" bugs being introduced than being fixed.

Bioware should accept the fact that they caoont offer US-servers only worldwide. What you say? They have european servers? No they don't or they'd patch them at night in europe. They have US-servers physically located in the US and they have US-servers physically located in europe.

But it's such a great game!

No, it isn't. I don't PvP, but from what I hear, PvP is vastly inferior even to other PvE-centered MMOs out there. Daily quests are a chore, they always are, but they're just horrible in SWTOR. And to make matters worse, depending on your group, you need the equipment from daylies for hardmodes, so you can't avoid them. Equipment dropped in FPs isn't all that great. Frankly, the endgame is what pushed me to leveling my alt. How many times will I enjoy playing through the questlines that are not class specific?

So, if the game itself has weak spots, service and operations should not annoy us or we'll stop overlooking those weak spots. Currently, servive and operations frustrate us, making us remember all that we don't like about SWTOR at least once a week.

That's not a good thing to do. Still, I think I'll enjoy levelling alts for a while.

AIDS, CANCER and REALITY TV are serious problems. This is kinda "meh" on my serious meter.

Ok so by your view we cannot fix or discuss any issues unless the largest issues are fixed first?

That is the whole "stop complaining because some people have it worse than you" argument, which is the last refuge of those who can't formulate any meaningful response.

I miss about half my play time a week. But I work until midnight on the West Coast, so yeah, not normal hours, still, far from ideal. It seems to happen a lot now days, which I guess is the nature of the beast. Still someone has to address it or they will lose customers, which means all the people saying "tough it out" will lose new content and regular updates because of a smaller customer base. So, to ignore it is hubris and folly no matter which side of the issue you stand on. I would hope the average gamer could grasp that and even failing to grasp that would realize people who want to play, who pay to play and who enjoy the same game you do are upset they can't.

It's really not so bad, there were MMO's that were days offline in a row, there were MMO's that had random server crashes almost every day the first months. I rather have they fix problems for users when they know what the problem is, than spoil their entertainment by leaving those problems unsolved.

and thats why most of them failed

its 2012 and MMO players expect a high level of play time

Supply it & BW will rule

Do it half hardheartedly it & fail

lol every other MMO did NOT take it down once a week, you are wrong.

I dont really see tor as a MMO anyway but I dont care how often they take servers down. Hell EVE Online comes down every single night for 15 mins without fail. an its 8 years old.

If your life is so narrowly focused that you get mad at not playing a game for a few hours, you need to look at your issues to be frank.

It is NOT acceptable to take servers down every couple of days to fix minor exploits, performance issues that affect less than a majority of customers, or any other reason besides extreme stability issues which make the game unplayable. Because I can guarantee that most people would rather deal with such issues than not play the game at all.

I have to agree, these fixes should be dealt with once a week unless it is a critical fix. Just because you found one or two minor bugs does not mean the servers should be taken down for hours at a time. Most of these fixes have dealt with content I don't even use.

I have found numerous instances where the graphics skip, or characters in coversation appear as all black figures, and I keep thinking that with all these fixes, this issue will be corrected. But no, every down time comes and goes, and the graphics issue remains. If I can deal with that, I think most people would be willing to wait once a week for you to deal with other minor issues.

Oh lord, I can't play my game for 10 hours out of the entire week. Something must be done.

I guess you don't realize that some of us sleep during the day (work at night) and when we want to play becasue were off work, and awake at night, the servers seem to be down every other day. Very frustrating.

I dont really see tor as a MMO anyway but I dont care how often they take servers down. Hell EVE Online comes down every single night for 15 mins without fail. an its 8 years old.

If your life is so narrowly focused that you get mad at not playing a game for a few hours, you need to look at your issues to be frank.

not sure where you got the "every other MMO "

more importantly according to your sig your not even playing

is it a lie are you a troll ?

none of these things actually mater

the basic fact is that BW need to provide a game that 2012 players will accept

currently the amount of patching & down time appears to be excessive

Glad you closed your argument with a typical ad hominem attack, it let me know not to take you seriously.

But to point one thing out to you: 15 minutes a night. That is nothing. Anyone can go grab a drink and a snack in 15 minutes. 2 hours is another thing entirely, that is the difference between having 2 hours to play with friends and calling it a night.

While I appreciate that this is a frustrating issue I would point out that most MMO's at launch have problems that need sorting out via downtime and that considering some of the launches I have been forced to endure this is actually relatively easy to deal with.

Too many people moaning about nothing basically. Already these forums remind me of another well known games official forums. All doom and gloom and people being frankly stupid for the sake of it normally to the detriment of others.

Just let Bioware get on with fixing what they need to and if you really can't handle that then maybe at this point in time SWTOR isn't the game for you?

The game is what 6 weeks old, give it a chance.

I got a plan! How about they patch the servers during the time expectation that players wont be on! For example, they could patch the EU servers during a workday from about 4 am to 8 am, and they could patch the EST from 8 am to 12 am on a weekday. Then others will still be able to play past midnight include those on the West Coast. Of course developers would need to work weird hours, but isn't that what they get paid the big bucks for?