Companion Max Affection Bonus

Tanerin

Hi all,

Have a question on what max companion affection bonuses are there? I have heard several different responses and would like to try and get an accurate response.

I know max affection increases the chance of success and reduces the time to do something, but i also heard max affection increases your chances to crit on missions and crafting.

So simply, does max affection increase your chance to crit and get purple materials, etc?

If so, by how much?

Companion affection increases the speed of missions and crafting orders, and also improves the result quality of the mission. There is a one-line comment on the SWTOR loading screens about it, and every time I think I should try to remember it to quote when one of these threads comes up. Of course, I never do.

Paraphrasing it, the more a companion likes you, the quicker they will complete missions, and the better the results/chance of critical results will be.

I've seen that tips message about companion affection increasing crit chance as well, but if it does it's not very noticeable. There was also a dev post confirming it a while back but again that doesn't mean much considering forum devs are typically uninformed liars.

For all we know it's supposed to work, but doesn't (like rest xp). Or it does work but only gives a 1% crit chance bonus with max affection.

Until players can parse results and produce a statistically accurate analysis we'll never know for sure.

I've heard that Affection is only supposed to increase the speed of crafting and not the crit rate, but after crafting with Khem, I notice that at 6k affection he crits on UT missions(he has no innate bonus to crit to these) about 20%(essentially 1/5 since hes been over 5k) of the time, whereas that annoying droid and Andronnikus crit about 8-10% (the droid I have a feeling even less). I guess the best thing to do would be to take two of the same companion with a friend, but have little or no affection on one and max on the other, then run the same skill a few hundred times, record the results and run statistics on em.

One more vote for "Maxed affection DRASTICALLY affects results of missions." Mind you, it's still nothing near a 50% crit rate. If I had to guess, I'd put the crit rate of a low affection companion under 5%, and a maxed affection companion closer to 10-20%. When I started running diplomacy missions for gifts to max out my companion's affections, even sticking to rich missions, I got almost entirely blue gifts. Now that they're maxed (and I'm working on maxing alts) I'd have to say that I still get more blue than purple gifts, but the purple results are much more frequent than they used to be.

FWIW, as far as I'm aware, there is no bonus for maxed affection to anything. There is, reportedly, a bonus to both crit chance and duration that scales relative to affection. So the higher the better, but it's not like you suddenly get something new at max that you didn't have before.

FWIW, as far as I'm aware, there is no bonus for maxed affection to anything. There is, reportedly, a bonus to both crit chance and duration that scales relative to affection. So the higher the better, but it's not like you suddenly get something new at max that you didn't have before.

Actually you don't even have to have affection that high to see one difference, completion speed. Next time you craft something or do a crew mission, check the time stated for the item/mission. then check the time remaining as soon as you start the item/mission, you'll see a difference. I know with my max affection companion, on a 28 minute mission, she only takes ~24, shaving 4+ minutes off the time.

As for crit chance, I don't know any specifics, but I have noticed a slight increase in crits for items and more so for missions.

Gault has +2 biochem crit I believe.

I had his affection maxed before biochem so I dont have earlier results to compare it to.

But I notice he crits on crafting stuff about 1/4 of the time it seems. At least.

I'm assuming its a crit because it says "with great success" or something like that, and he makes 2 of the item instead of just 1.

I have a companion that is about 200 points shy of maxed and I find he crits a lot more than any of my other companions... even the one that has a + to crit chance on underworld trading, but he has a fairly low amount of respect. No evidence to prove this... just seems to be my experience.

Also I know for a fact having max respect with a companion increases the speed of companion quests. I have sent companions with different respect levels out on quests that had the same times... the one with the maxed skill came back 4-5 min quicker.

Edited by drseuss

Actually you don't even have to have affection that high to see one difference, completion speed. Next time you craft something or do a crew mission, check the time stated for the item/mission. then check the time remaining as soon as you start the item/mission, you'll see a difference. I know with my max affection companion, on a 28 minute mission, she only takes ~24, shaving 4+ minutes off the time.

As for crit chance, I don't know any specifics, but I have noticed a slight increase in crits for items and more so for missions.

Like I said. No bonus for simply being maxed other than simply more affection in general makes them work better/faster. (only reason I phrased it as reportedly is because while It's blatantly obvious it cuts down on the time, there isn't all that much hard evidence (just anecdotal) that in increases the crit chance)

Bonus for being maxed implies 1-9999 is no different, then bang, at 10000, something cool happens. That isn't the case.

• 2 months later...
Like I said. No bonus for simply being maxed other than simply more affection in general makes them work better/faster. (only reason I phrased it as reportedly is because while It's blatantly obvious it cuts down on the time, there isn't all that much hard evidence (just anecdotal) that in increases the crit chance)

Bonus for being maxed implies 1-9999 is no different, then bang, at 10000, something cool happens. That isn't the case.

I hope you read this. I logged into the forums for the first time to post.

You are entirely 100% wrong.

Go look up the word bonus. a .0001% drop in time from 1 affection or whatever it is, is a freaking bonus.

Normally I'm not such a stickler but you said "Bonus for being maxed implies 1-9999 is no different," and claimed something entirely wrong.

It's anecdotal, but my Kira (who has a treasure hunting crit already) now comes back with artifact mats about once every 4-5 trips out, which is very high. I can farm Corusca Gems pretty well. Doc (who is now 8k affection) also manages to turn up purple mats pretty often too.

So I'd say that affection most likely does affect crit chances.

Why is this still being debated? There is no debate. Not only has it been confirmed by developers, but it's been tested over and over. Affection gives a bonus to mission/crafting completion time AND crit chance. 1k affection gives 1.5% reduction in time AND 1.5% crit chance, up to 15%. This is in addition to any natural bonuses a particular crew member has for a specific craft/mission skill, and the crit is in addition to the baseline chance to crit a mission, which is 5%. Edited by DustomaticGXC

Companion affection increases the speed of missions and crafting orders, and also improves the result quality of the mission. There is a one-line comment on the SWTOR loading screens about it, and every time I think I should try to remember it to quote when one of these threads comes up. Of course, I never do.

Paraphrasing it, the more a companion likes you, the quicker they will complete missions, and the better the results/chance of critical results will be.

I've gotcha covered:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=200934

I hope you read this. I logged into the forums for the first time to post.

You are entirely 100% wrong.

Go look up the word bonus. a .0001% drop in time from 1 affection or whatever it is, is a freaking bonus.

Normally I'm not such a stickler but you said "Bonus for being maxed implies 1-9999 is no different," and claimed something entirely wrong.

Bonus (n)

1. something given or paid over and above what is due.

If every point of affection increases crit by 0.0005% chance, and reduces time by 0.0015% (or every 2000 points gives 1%, and 3%, which I believe is more accurate) than the improvement of 1% crit and 3% time reduction going from 9999 to 10k is *what is due*. it's the norm. The standard. It isn't a "bonus for maxing affection". (though it would be fair to call it the normal bonus for every 2k points or w/e) Bonus would be something above the existing standard benefit. There is no something above the standard every 2k points benefit. it doesn't suddenly jump 2% and 6% instead of the 1% and 3% that is "due".

So sorry, but I'm not wrong.

Edited by GnatB