pvp tank gear

Alizaro

Dusted off my jugg, been min maxing him for rage spec, almost done.

I noticed I have tucked away a defensive bm set which should give me the 4 set bonus and that's going to allow me to simply buy ewh belts/bracers for the armorings which is nice.

I've got a ton of enhancements from my marauder, assassin, bh with around 45 end, 22 power and 43 surge for those slots all wh so I can transfer them over via legacy gear. A couple have acc instead of surge but I'm using them more for higher health either way.

So question is for tank set, obviously we're going to be using a shield. Should I focus on defense or the other stats like absorption for pvp. I'd think defense is king since so many pvpers drop their accuracy really low to maximize power. I won't be pveing with this stuff. Also main stat or power for augments, obviously with 18 end and 12 power or str?

So max defense only stats or bother with the other defensive stats too?

Edited by Alizaro

Min Maxing for PvP as a tanky Guardian/Juggernaut is pretty simple.

You said you have a BM set tucked away? Use the implants and the earpiece from the BM set, these are BIS, yes, seriously, they're BIS. The EWH Implants are a minor upgrade, but if you have the BM implants, you'd be better min/maxing the rest of your set before worrying about implants.

Four piece PvP tanking set bonus is garbage. Your job isn't to do damage, it's to take it, and render the other DPS useless. Get the two piece Vindicator Set Bonus, this will heal you for 8% whenever you Guardian Leap, a far better set bonus. I also prefer to use the 2 piece PvE set bonus personally. Check my armory for how I have that set up.

On the WH tier, it's the simplest thing in the world. Once you have your set bonus, replace every mod and enhancement with the mod and enhancement from the boots. Just keep buying boots, over and over again. Lightsaber, shield gen, waist and wrists, etc, just replace everything with the stats from the boots. Why? Because as you mentioned, Defense is king. Shield will not do a thing for you, and absorption is even worse. Unfortunately you'll be picking up a bunch of shield rating as you get this gear, however there's not a lot you can do about it. The boot stats have the best distribution of high endurance and defense rating available. Continuing on, socket everything for endurance (18 end, 12 power augs). Replace the crystal(s) in your lightsaber and shield with endurance crystals. Craft at least three of the Guardian 27 armorings, use them in your belt/bracers and 1 item in your 5 set, since you only need two and two to maintain set bonuses. If you choose the PvE set bonus route, craft five guardian 27 armorings and place in the PvE shells you'll be using, again, check my armory. And of course, use the Imperiling Serenity relics.

TL:DR - Buy the boots over and over again, and replace all mods and enhancements in every piece of gear with the mods and enhancements from the boots, then socket for endurance, and craft the PvE armorings.

EWH gearing. Fortunately for gearing tanks, it's pretty easy for us. Instead of buying the boots this time, you'll be buying the gloves, again, over and over, replace all mods and enhancements with it. Replace appropriate armorings (vindicators) and hilts (MH/OH) and you'll be good.

Spec:

A fair bit of people seem to favor the middle tree spec. Personally I don't. I'm here to tank and not die, commiting so much to the vigilance/vengeance tree for the static 4% reduction in dmg taken sacrifices way too much utility from the tanking tree. Another standard I've seen is the 27/12/2 spec, which is solid, but puts two points in the ravage/master strike talent, again, I'm not here to DPS so I made my own build, which is 29/12/0. My philosophy is area denial, debuffing and not dying, and this spec is best suited to do all of that. Yes, you're never going to contribute much as a DPS to the team, but, you'll be contributing to the team's DPS with the debuffs you're spreading around.

Anyway, if you have any questions or whatever, feel free to check the armory link in my sig or post back here.

Regards,

Don't the armoring on WH & EWH specifically say which slot eg boots, they belong so buying all boots would leave you with aload of uselless armorings?

Losing that much Exp must not be good!

Edited by snoopies

Don't the armoring on WH & EWH specifically say which slot eg boots, they belong so buying all boots would leave you with aload of uselless armorings?

Losing that much Exp must not be good!

Tanks only need about 1040 expertise. Yes, you'll have a bunch of boot armorings, but you'll be ripping the mod and enhancement out of the boots to place in the rest of your gear. Your mitigation comes from raw armor rating, not expertise. Craft the PvE armorings and substitute them into two pieces of PvE gear to achieve the 2 piece PvE set bonus, and use the 2 piece Vindicator's.

You said you have a BM set tucked away? Use the implants and the earpiece from the BM set, these are BIS, yes, seriously, they're BIS. The EWH Implants are a minor upgrade, but if you have the BM implants, you'd be better min/maxing the rest of your set before worrying about implants.

Four piece PvP tanking set bonus is garbage. Your job isn't to do damage, it's to take it, and render the other DPS useless. Get the two piece Vindicator Set Bonus, this will heal you for 8% whenever you Guardian Leap, a far better set bonus. I also prefer to use the 2 piece PvE set bonus personally. Check my armory for how I have that set up.

On the WH tier, it's the simplest thing in the world. Once you have your set bonus, replace every mod and enhancement with the mod and enhancement from the boots. Just keep buying boots, over and over again. Lightsaber, shield gen, waist and wrists, etc, just replace everything with the stats from the boots. Why? Because as you mentioned, Defense is king. Shield will not do a thing for you, and absorption is even worse. Unfortunately you'll be picking up a bunch of shield rating as you get this gear, however there's not a lot you can do about it. The boot stats have the best distribution of high endurance and defense rating available. Continuing on, socket everything for endurance (18 end, 12 power augs). Replace the crystal(s) in your lightsaber and shield with endurance crystals. Craft at least three of the Guardian 27 armorings, use them in your belt/bracers and 1 item in your 5 set, since you only need two and two to maintain set bonuses. If you choose the PvE set bonus route, craft five guardian 27 armorings and place in the PvE shells you'll be using, again, check my armory. And of course, use the Imperiling Serenity relics.

TL:DR - Buy the boots over and over again, and replace all mods and enhancements in every piece of gear with the mods and enhancements from the boots, then socket for endurance, and craft the PvE armorings.

EWH gearing. Fortunately for gearing tanks, it's pretty easy for us. Instead of buying the boots this time, you'll be buying the gloves, again, over and over, replace all mods and enhancements with it. Replace appropriate armorings (vindicators) and hilts (MH/OH) and you'll be good.

Spec:

A fair bit of people seem to favor the middle tree spec. Personally I don't. I'm here to tank and not die, commiting so much to the vigilance/vengeance tree for the static 4% reduction in dmg taken sacrifices way too much utility from the tanking tree. Another standard I've seen is the 27/12/2 spec, which is solid, but puts two points in the ravage/master strike talent, again, I'm not here to DPS so I made my own build, which is 29/12/0. My philosophy is area denial, debuffing and not dying, and this spec is best suited to do all of that. Yes, you're never going to contribute much as a DPS to the team, but, you'll be contributing to the team's DPS with the debuffs you're spreading around.

Anyway, if you have any questions or whatever, feel free to check the armory link in my sig or post back here.

Regards,

This^

I'm still using my BM earpiece, and the EWH Implants were a sidegrade at best. My only reason for changing to them was because of a little def boost at the cost of only 1 End.

The only major difference I have to Talon's explanation is that I min/max with the leggings and not the gloves. The itemization on the leggings is perfect: End>Str>Exp>Acc>Def. My preference is to go def over shield.

My build is 27/12/2.

Hope this helps you!

Edited by LordAragore
Include Talent Spec

do not sacrifice expertise for anything else. go with his set bonuses but get tanking gear and if the mod or enhancement does not have defense on it, ditch it for a dps one. i am not sure what crystal stats are in the gear, but if their not expertise, make then expertise. Then make your augments strength + endurance to increase your crit rating, then for me i use 2 defense relics.

This^

I'm still using my BM earpiece, and the EWH Implants were a sidegrade at best. My only reason for changing to them was because of a little def boost at the cost of only 1 End.

The only major difference I have to Talon's explanation is that I min/max with the leggings and not the gloves. The itemization on the leggings is perfect: End>Str>Exp>Acc>Def. My preference is to go def over shield.

My build is 27/12/2.

Hope this helps you!

I'd have to disagree with Aragore. Min/Maxing your entire set with accuracy is a bit of a waste. I have the same defense gain, but I have shield rating. Your accuracy isn't going to do a whole lot for you, at least my shield rating provides some mitigation against sents/slingers and the like. Perhaps I misunderstood? (Assuming we're talking about replacing all mods/enhancements with the EWH Legging stats)

do not sacrifice expertise for anything else. go with his set bonuses but get tanking gear and if the mod or enhancement does not have defense on it, ditch it for a dps one. i am not sure what crystal stats are in the gear, but if their not expertise, make then expertise. Then make your augments strength + endurance to increase your crit rating, then for me i use 2 defense relics.

This on the other hand is a prime example of how not to gear. Just for giggles I plugged in the values suggested into my Ask Mr Robot and lost 11% of my hitpoints for a 2.5% gain in mitigation through expertise. Since hitpoints effect so many of the guardian abilities (Focused Defense, Enure, Enure + WZ Medpac, Guardian Leap Heal, etc) this is a garbage trade off in every way. I went ahead and replaced all PvE armorings just to continue theory crafting and ended up trading 13% of my hitpoints for 3% mitigation, again, a completely bad trade off. In addition, you lose all shield rating in favor of gaining power, or surge. Shield rating may not be amazing, but it does help against those none crit white attacks, i.e. combat sents, sharpshooter gunslingers.

The DPS gains on the other hand are minimal and might be nice if you're solo queueing, but as a tank you shouldn't be solo queueing. Grab a healer and two DPS and carry the WZ. Once again, I emphasize, you're a tank, commit to it, be a tank. People who spec Vigilance and go into soresu form claiming Enduring Awe is better than the other half of the tank tree aren't being good at two things, but bad at both things.

Uh BIS means Best in slot, so if Bm is BIS then how is EWH a "minor upgrade", that would make EWH BIS.

Uh BIS means Best in slot, so if Bm is BIS then how is EWH a "minor upgrade", that would make EWH BIS.

I meant to illuminate that the implants are if anything a preferential upgrade. Regardless, if somebody had the BM implants the last thing they would upgrade would be the implants.

I meant to illuminate that the implants are if anything a preferential upgrade. Regardless, if somebody had the BM implants the last thing they would upgrade would be the implants.

I get what you were intending, I just have a tendency to point out little things like that :p

I have the same defense gain, but I have shield rating. Your accuracy isn't going to do a whole lot for you, at least my shield rating provides some mitigation against sents/slingers and the like. Perhaps I misunderstood? (Assuming we're talking about replacing all mods/enhancements with the EWH Legging stats)

That's a good point. I tended to view the white damage as negligible, mainly because I was struggling keeping my accuracy at 100%, but mitigation is mitigation.

This on the other hand is a prime example of how not to gear. Just for giggles I plugged in the values suggested into my Ask Mr Robot and lost 11% of my hitpoints for a 2.5% gain in mitigation through expertise. Since hitpoints effect so many of the guardian abilities (Focused Defense, Enure, Enure + WZ Medpac, Guardian Leap Heal, etc) this is a garbage trade off in every way. I went ahead and replaced all PvE armorings just to continue theory crafting and ended up trading 13% of my hitpoints for 3% mitigation, again, a completely bad trade off. In addition, you lose all shield rating in favor of gaining power, or surge. Shield rating may not be amazing, but it does help against those none crit white attacks, i.e. combat sents, sharpshooter gunslingers.

Same here. My Exp is currently 1180. I replaced 2 EWH Armorings and my EWH Hilt with Guardian 27's and my PVP mitigation dropped just over .5%. That was 150 Exp dropped off and I gained 75 End.

Most of the points made by the first replier are spot on. Although a few things IMO are a little different. First thing is that higher expertise for tanking in PvP is important, it gives FLAT OUT damage reduction. I don't know the numbers or when exactly there maybe diminishing returns for tanks, so I can't really say how high might be "too" high. Second is the spec, I have run full Immortal (31/8/2), Almost Immortal (27/12/2) and Hybrid (18/23/0), I have to say the Hybrid FOR PVP is best. Deafening Defense is just too good of a talent to pass up. I used to live and die by Almost Immortal, but about a few months ago tried Hybrid and never looked back.

(18/23/0)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101RMGzuzMZforMrhzzM.2

Yes you lose backhand, Force Push faster CD, Revenge or Shield Specialization talent, Dark Blood and Crushing Fist. Backhand only affects 1 opponent and generates a lot of resolve, where as a faster CD on Intimidating Roar affects many enemies which when your in the middle of all the combat, you need that to slow down the damage your taking to make it easier for the healers. The faster CD on force push is really only worth it in huttball, but with simple positioning from your teammates and/or stupid enemies, you can jump around just fine. As mentioned the shield chance isn't worth it in PvP and Ruin in Vengeance tree makes Smash free anyway. Duration of Endure Pain is nice and the damage reduction to elemental and internal by 4% is great, but Deafening Defense reduces ALL damage taken by 4% at all times as well as 15% while Enraged Defense is active. Crushing Fist 4 stacks of armor reduction, meh, I'll take Impale over that.

Last thing to add is to augment with the Fortitude Augment 22. You are going to take damage no matter what, mitigation is important in PvE, but 90% of the damage done in PvP passes your shield and defense. So don't bother augmenting for Defense, Shield or Absorb, stick to Fortitude. If you want to mess with those stats, do it with min/max-ing your mods and enhancements.

Edited by BanetheDarkLord

The faster CD on force push is really only worth it in huttball, but with simple positioning from your teammates and/or stupid enemies, you can jump around just fine.

I agreed with almost everything you said (I think the hybrid spec is best for PvP tanking), but I just wanted to point out - you should never spec / gear / gameplan for having stupid enemies. If your enemies are stupid, you'll win no matter how you spec (unless your teammates are even dumber), so just worry about speccing for good opponents.

I agreed with almost everything you said (I think the hybrid spec is best for PvP tanking), but I just wanted to point out - you should never spec / gear / gameplan for having stupid enemies. If your enemies are stupid, you'll win no matter how you spec (unless your teammates are even dumber), so just worry about speccing for good opponents.

Well yeah I just had that because it does happen. There are some other angles you can jump at enemies they normally don't expect or haven't accounted for. Just reinforcing the point that the faster CD on Force Push isn't worth going up that high on the Immortal tree for. If I was trying to take actual stupid enemies into account for specs, then I would just randomly throw darts at the talent trees for my points. ;)

Edited by BanetheDarkLord