Gree event? How many times?

SirUrza

How many times have we had the gree event?

I'm thinking four...

1. The Original (level cap 50)

2. Post 55 (still balanced for level 50)

3. Rebalanced for level 55

4. Snowballs 55 (this past Holiday)

I'm having a feeling that 1 and 2 were the same "event" but I don't really remember.

This feels random, unless I am mistaken the gree event is not happening right now...

Also 5 times in a year for an event that really doesn't have any ties to a real world event really isn't that much. Especially since they are still building events for the game.

For repeatable ones we have 2 (bounty hunter and gree). Ratghoul would be the third.

Edited by ninjonxb

That sounds right. Why do you ask?

Just wondering how many times it's been repeated.

The Rakghoul event hasn't been repeated nor has the Grand Acquisitions Race. I'd like to see the original Tatooine event happen again even though we're getting the Rakghouls on Alderaan it seems. I'm wondering if it's being designed to be repeatable.. or perhaps movable to different planets (hence the vendor being on Nar Shadda.)

And the Grand Acquisitions Race... well I never got to do it at all and would like to see it be a yearly event.

Edited by SirUrza

This feels random, unless I am mistaken the gree event is not happening right now...

Also 5 times in a year for an event that really doesn't have any ties to a real world event really isn't that much. Especially since they are still building events for the game.

For repeatable ones we have 2 (bounty hunter and gree). Ratghoul would be the third.

The Gree ended on the 1st, I believe.

And BW are reportedly working on some way to bring back the Chevin as well (with different plot probably, as that served as as intro for Gree)

Just wondering how many times it's been repeated.

The Rakghoul event hasn't been repeated nor has the Grand Acquisitions Race. I'd like to see the original Tatooine event happen again even though we're getting the Rakghouls on Alderaan it seems. I'm wondering if it's being designed to be repeatable.. or perhaps movable to different planets (hence the vendor being on Nar Shadda.)

And the Grand Acquisitions Race... well I never got to do it at all and would like to see it be a yearly event.

The Gree Event was billed as a recurring event from the very first time it was introduced. The others were not. So that's why the Gree Event has been repeated and the others have not.

But the Rakghoul event is being repeated. Not in the same exact fashion in 2012 but it is a new occurrence of the same theme. Sadly I missed the Chevin event completely so I do hope they bring it back. I don't understand why people are saying they are "working" on bringing it back. why can't they just "turn it back on"? the assets should still all be there. is it the previously there was no reputation involved? honestly what's the difference between reputation and giving a mission that says do this task 1000 times"?

I like the repeating of events as well. I don't have the time or the interest to spend a ton of time over a short period to do something like max our rep points, etc., on an event... particularly when that means repeating the same content. So, if maxing our reputation means grinding, please make the event recurring (in one form or another). :)

How many times have we had the gree event?

I'm thinking four...

1. The Original (level cap 50)

2. Post 55 (still balanced for level 50)

3. Rebalanced for level 55

4. Snowballs 55 (this past Holiday)

I'm having a feeling that 1 and 2 were the same "event" but I don't really remember.

1 and 2 were separate events, there was definitely at least one time when it was balanced for 50 when 50 was the max-level and another time when the mobs were all still 50 but 55 was the max-level. I feel like there was a fifth time in there though.

EDIT: found a full list on Wookieepedia:

1) Feb 12

2) March 12 (probably the one that felt like the "same event" you mentioned)

3) May 21

4) July 23

5) Dec 24

Edited by DarthDymond

1 and 2 were separate events, there was definitely at least one time when it was balanced for 50 when 50 was the max-level and another time when the mobs were all still 50 but 55 was the max-level. I feel like there was a fifth time in there though.

EDIT: found a full list on Wookieepedia:

1) Feb 12

2) March 12 (probably the one that felt like the "same event" you mentioned)

3) May 21

4) July 23

5) Dec 24

No wonder it felt like there was such a huge gap between the last two occurrences compared to previously. 1 month gap, 2 month gap, 2 month gap, 5 month gap.

But the Rakghoul event is being repeated. Not in the same exact fashion in 2012 but it is a new occurrence of the same theme. Sadly I missed the Chevin event completely so I do hope they bring it back. I don't understand why people are saying they are "working" on bringing it back. why can't they just "turn it back on"? the assets should still all be there. is it the previously there was no reputation involved? honestly what's the difference between reputation and giving a mission that says do this task 1000 times"?

The new Rak'ghoul Event is being "worked on" instead of "turn[ed] back on" because even though it's going to be, as you mentioned, "the same theme" as the original one-timer, the overall event and its mechanics are going to be significantly different.

Some popular elements (catching the plague, being able to acquire "Infected" companion customization skins) are coming back, but most of the gameplay is going to take place in a brand new area created just for the reoccurring version, the Infested Tunnels, and it will have a new Operations-level boss (like Xenoanalyst II or Golden Fury) called The Eyeless. Looks like it'll also be taking place on Alderaan (at least the first time - I wouldn't be surprised if the Infested Tunnels start popping up on different planets each time the event comes back around, which would be cool).

I like the repeating of events as well. I don't have the time or the interest to spend a ton of time over a short period to do something like max our rep points, etc., on an event... particularly when that means repeating the same content. So, if maxing our reputation means grinding, please make the event recurring (in one form or another). :)

it's funny you say that because while I feel the exact same way about the reasons that you mention I actually feel more strongly about another method of implementing events: just make them continuous; i.e., non-stop. first of all, like you I have a limited schedule. that's why I have a really hard time with the repeating events. while others are able to grind out reputation: running almost non-stop during the event when it is here. For example, on the bounty event, I've been playing it every time it has come out and have only just now barely made hero status. and yet I'm just as sick of it now as I would be had I been grinding out that reputation continuously. The difference is if it were continuous I'm sure I would've had legend reputation and could have moved on by now. Instead my schedule only allows me to run at certain times on certain days of the week and I will have only gotten to run it a few times by the time it goes away, whatever the event. However, for example over the holidays, I had a couple of weeks where I could have run it nonstop. My point is my own limits are even greater than the limitation already placed on the short schedule for the event. I find that incredibly frustrating.

Secondly, let's face it: repeating events are simply a way for the developers to come up with so called "new" content without actually making new content; basically the repeating event allows them to keep things feeling fresh without coming up with anything new. I don't want to make this into an argument between haters and bio drones; I actually think of myself as a semi casual player who really loves the game. But making one event and simply repeating it rather than making it continuous and coming up with new content just feels lazy to me. I much prefer the dailies areas with reputation like Section X, Czerka, and Oricon because i can run them at my leisure, and my schedule and how it may or may not overlap with the limited schedule of the the event is no longer a factor in those cases. Granted, this all means that in part I'm simply feeling cynical because I can't run the content often as I want, and no I'm not one of these people who can play the game 24 /7 get max reputation on everything and run out of all content to play. I simply want the freedom to run the content that I want to run when I'm able to run it.

Sorry for the rant, but I get a little bit irked when I start thinking about these so-called repeating events. Granted, if the alternative is something like the grand acquisitions race event where they did it once and then it never came back, or life day which is just once a year, obviously I would choose the alternative we're given now, which is a repeating event. But honestly my opinion is simply: come out with new content, make it permanently available, work on new content, repeat.

Edited by DimmuJanKaarl

The original Rakghoul event wasn't much of event. Very minor compared to the Gree event, you actually spent more time spawn camping the Tatooine world bosses then anything else.

I felt exactly opposite! I've always thought of the Gree event as the anti-event.

In my opinion an event should be inclusive of most of the player base, not just be for maxed out raiders. If you get off the fleet and look around the lower level planets, you will notice that there really are large numbers of players who haven't reached cap yet. Rakghoul, Chevin and BH were (are) all accessible to lower level characters and had tons of solo friendly activities with rewards that every player could reasonably expect to be able earn. I was so irritated with the way they designed the Gree event I passed on it the first two times. I nearly quit playing because of it. There is no reason, what so ever, for them to have restricted the tokens so harshly.

Edited by Damask_Rose

repeating events are simply a way for the developers to come up with so called "new" content without actually making new content; basically the repeating event allows them to keep things feeling fresh without coming up with anything new.

I actually think of myself as a semi casual player who really loves the game.

my opinion is simply: come out with new content, make it permanently available, work on new content, repeat.

I am the same type of player, and I see your points.

I think, to some extent, this is not inaccurate, but also as someone having a limited schedule to play, I still appreciate the mix of offerings available. If things like BHC week and the Gree event were continuous, they would get stale quickly (just like the daily areas do now). Things I like about the those two events, in particular, are that they are repeated events that don't necessarily take a lot of developer time, so they are creating new content while these events come and go (and come again). One time events are the ones that perhaps are the most frustrating for this reason and those you mentioned.

I really enjoy Gree when it comes around not because I have to grind out reputation (which I managed to finally max after this last event), but because it creates some variety (including PvP to infuse some much-needed suspense to the grind-y routine) from the "standard" schedule. It creates a small sense of urgency to the mix, and this makes the diversion that is SWTOR just a little more entertaining to me.

To summarize: There is room for both continuous and periodic content. Folks like you and I will clearly not be able to participate in the periodic events as extensively than those less committed to other activities, but we can still enjoy them and "grind" them as schedules mesh.

Edited by -Wes-

I think they should have 1 limited-time event or another running all the time.

I sure hope they are building towards that. We currently have Gree and Bounty as repeating ones. If the Rak event becomes a repeating one, and then they make one more, they can switch one out every week

I felt exactly opposite! I've always thought of the Gree event as the anti-event.

In my opinion an event should be inclusive of most of the player base, not just be for maxed out raiders. If you get off the fleet and look around the lower level planets, you will notice that there really are large numbers of players who haven't reached cap yet. Rakghoul, Chevin and BH were (are) all accessible to lower level characters and had tons of solo friendly activities with rewards that every player could reasonably expect to be able earn. I was so irritated with the way they designed the Gree event I passed on it the first two times. I nearly quit playing because of it. There is no reason, what so ever, for them to have restricted the tokens so harshly.

Nothing wrong with having events that cater to 50 and up. Would be fun as well to have an event to do something special for lower levels as well if it can be done. You have to do your own thing, but I feel it's a little over the top to want to quit just because it was a higher-level event. Even scaling for level a boss like Xeno would have been very difficult because lower level characters would have no means to mitigate thermal. Lower level healers would have no way to cleanse the group or AoE heal on the worm. It was a fun event, it gave PvPers a chance to do their thing as well, and it's not as if it's running all the time.

We have the BBA open to most all players, Rak returning with that theme, so having the Gree stand as it does isn't destroying the game. Legacy gear is also in general a lot more useful to players with high level toons than those coming up. There's also the reward of giving something to players who stick with the game. No reason we can't have both kinds of events, no?

Edited by Prototypemind

When event runs all the time, it stops being an event, but becomes new set of daily (or other) missions...

Pretty sure he's not saying "Gree Event should always be happening" (which I agree would just make it a new set of Dailies) just that some event should always be happening at any given time, i.e. as soon as the Bounty Hunter Event ends, the Gree Event should start, as soon as the Gree Event ends, the Rak'ghoul Event should start, and soon as the Rak'ghoul Event ends... etc, etc, etc. So there's never a time when there is no event going on.

Pretty sure he's not saying "Gree Event should always be happening" (which I agree would just make it a new set of Dailies) just that some event should always be happening at any given time, i.e. as soon as the Bounty Hunter Event ends, the Gree Event should start, as soon as the Gree Event ends, the Rak'ghoul Event should start, and soon as the Rak'ghoul Event ends... etc, etc, etc. So there's never a time when there is no event going on.

Yeah I realize that after rereading it. I wrote that very early in the morning, so I assumed it was asking for a event be always on.