Disney & Yoda

Cempa

Now that Disney owns the SW franchise -correct?- could we get whatever Yoda race is in-game? Subs would explode!

Incorrect, Disney do not own this game, and have nothing to do with it.

They just collect a royalty cheque from EA for using the name "Star Wars"

Now that Disney owns the SW franchise -correct?- could we get whatever Yoda race is in-game? Subs would explode!

Not going to happen ever. I am pretty sure that when Lucas sold the rights he put a clause that prevented the reveal of the Yoda species. Besides, it's one of the few great mysteries of Starwars that is left.

Not sure I want my subscription to explode, might damage my computer.

Seriously though, it can't happen, George Lucas put certain codas on the sales of his IP to disney, one of which is that Yoda's race can't be used as a player character in games (unless the game is a solo player game revolving around Yoda himself) and his Race can't be named.

If Disney were to allow Yoda's race to be a playable character then they would automatically loose the franchise, which would revert back to Lucas.

Not going to happen ever. I am pretty sure that when Lucas sold the rights he put a clause that prevented the reveal of the Yoda species. Besides, it's one of the few great mysteries of Starwars that is left.

Like the mystery of which species Aurra Sing's father is.

I don't know where people think they are getting their information but Disney is most certainly allowed to use Yoda and the species in property they now own. There was no provision in the contract that sold the property to Disney but then denied them the right to use a part of the property. That's why one of the stand alone films is (at least potentially) going to be about Yoda. Granted that film may be scuttled and, even if it happens, It may not reveal Yoda's species, but if it does not, that will have nothing to do with some clause in the contract.

I don't know where people think they are getting their information but Disney is most certainly allowed to use Yoda and the species in property they now own. There was no provision in the contract that sold the property to Disney but then denied them the right to use a part of the property. That's why one of the stand alone films is (at least potentially) going to be about Yoda. Granted that film may be scuttled and, even if it happens, It may not reveal Yoda's species, but if it does not, that will have nothing to do with some clause in the contract.

Interesting... what facts are you basing this off?

Interesting... what facts are you basing this off?

The facts that were released during and after the buy as well as the investor call on 30 October 2012 plus the fact that there has been no "coda" or anything else made public that limited Disney's rights in the franchise they bought. Disney acquired ownership of Lucasfilm including the Star Wars franchise, and all rights therefrom. This deal is public including all the details of it.

As is known, Kathleen Kennedy will be in control -- including a role as a brand manager -- while Lucas can be a creative consultant. So obviously Kennedy and Lucas could push NOT to reveal Yoda's species at all and Disney would likely be fine with that. Disney would likely be less fine with some idea that they can't use Yoda at all. Given that Kathleen Kennedy at least allowed for the possibility (and hinted a bit) that the first standalone film would be about Yoda, this also would count as evidence in its favor.

Again, the best evidence, however, are the public details of the buy out and the provisions on it. For example, for EA, Disney went with a traditional exclusive, multi-year agreement to license Star Wars to Electronic Arts. They are waiting to see how it goes. If it goes poorly, Disney could remove that license. They already canceled the game division of LucasArts, as everyone knows, but Disney went with a more traditional contract for EA for reasons that they made quite public at the time.

Yoda's race will never be playable. Nor should it. Respect the IP. Part of what makes certain characters or things special is their mystery. If you ruin the mystery then those things become less special, less unique.

Plus, playable races have to fit the parameters set by BW for SWTOR, regarding physical size.

Edited by JediRelentless

Yoda's race will never be playable. Nor should it. Respect the IP. Part of what makes certain characters or things special is their mystery. If you ruin the mystery then those things become less special, less unique.

Plus, playable races have to fit the parameters set by BW for SWTOR, regarding physical size.

No one necessarily said Yoda's race had to be a playable one. The race could be included, however, as part of some expansion storyline. That, in fact, could add to the mystery a bit, by expanding said mystery, giving tantalizing hints, etc.. That, in fact, would be "respecting the IP," at least by some people's viewpoint. Personally I'm not one of those that are terribly interested in Yoda or his species -- but many fans are, so at least exploring and/or considering options seems like a sensible thing to do.