Community Team General Update: May 31st, 2012

While it is good to introduce yourselves, as always the proof is in the work itself, hopefully your efforts will assist the community but if all you are doing is being a typing admin between Devs and us, then it really doesn't help the community much at all, I hope I am wrong.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post
Very nice, and grats to Eric Musco. You came along way from hosting the Torocast podcast.

And you sure know how to talk fast,and you understand gaming on a high lvl.

Thank you for the kind words. I assure you that in my new role, the speed at which I speak will remain speedily intact!

Will the community changes affect your events that are being planned? Since fans would need to buy tickets ahead of time, it would be nice to get a quick update if there were any changes.

Specifically, it was implied by David Bass and Stephen Reid that they were going to try to make the SW:TOR event at Star Wars: Celebration VI the 'big' event for the trade show season. Is this still the goal of the community team? Is it still an official SWTOR event?

Thanks for your update.

The events that were in David’s capable hands definitely still remain! You can look forward to seeing SWTOR at both San Diego Comic-con and Star Wars Celebration later this year. If I may steal your words, it is definitely the goal of the Community team that Star Wars: Celebration VI will be the ‘big’ event for the trade show season!

It's certainly understandable to be cautious of any new changes, but I wanted to let you know that I've worked several years as a Community Manager prior to BioWare, but that's not why I wanted to respond to this.

I've already explained what happened this past weekend and apologized personally to the original player affected. Our CS team quickly called every single person affected and apologized for what had happened.

Mistakes happen and lessons were definitely learned, and we're going to be more thorough in everything that we do. Since all parties involved have no further issues with each other, I'm going to officially ask that we move beyond this. I'm going to, and I hope that you can as well. There is no reason to discuss this further.

i am hoping for the best for the game, and thanks for your quick answer lots of expectations that i have for you now.

I've already explained what happened this past weekend and apologized personally to the original player affected. Our CS team also quickly called every single person affected and apologized for what had happened.

For those that lack a proper moral compass, Joveth did the right thing here. A mistake was made, and that sucks, but the team admitted they were wrong and did their best to fix it. There will always be mistakes. It's far too common for someone to deny responsibility and sweep it under the rug. What Joveth and the community team did with this, in public, was commendable and I don't think it's fair for them to take heat for it.

Sorry for discussing it further. I hope it helps people understand that this is what you should be doing, and you deserve at least a little praise.

It feels like there's been more communication in this thread today than there has been in the last two weeks. Can we expect a level of communication like this going forward, or will it be reverting back to the level of communication we usually have seen where it's limited to mostly server outages?

Is there a community representative independent of the PVP or PVE representative who's goal is to explain the reasoning behind class changes, or is that mostly going to remain limited to developer posts after class changes have already been pushed to live servers?

And, lastly, I know it's a long shot - But can you give us an idea on when Bioware feels summer begins and ends?

Edited by Mumit

It's great to see the community team introducing themselves since there has been some changes. Sad to see David Bass go, and I know Stephen Reid left us as well. Hopefully you guys will do great. Good luck!

It's certainly understandable to be cautious of any new changes, but I wanted to let you know that I've worked several years as a Community Manager prior to BioWare, but that's not why I wanted to respond to this.

I've already explained what happened this past weekend and apologized personally to the original player affected. Our CS team also quickly called every single person affected and apologized for what had happened.

Mistakes happen and lessons were definitely learned, and we're going to be more thorough in everything that we do. Since all parties involved have no further issues with each other, I'm going to officially ask that we move beyond this. I'm going to, and I hope that you can as well. There is no reason to discuss this further.

Maybe it would benefit community trust and health for the community team to write up for the players something on the lessons learned? I am not trying to beat a dead horse, but the trust some in the community have in Bioware was shaken by these events. This trust violation goes beyond the players in the event. Going to those directly involved was probably done as well as it could be done. I just think it might help me and others know what to expect from our community team in the future to be let in on some of the lessons your team has taken away from these events. Maybe that would be a good step to put this behind us, a way of saying you get it. Trying to make it go away before the wound is healed will just leave an open wound, let’s do some healing guys. :)

The level of community interaction today has been sorely needed, it is a good step to see put into action. I have also seen CSRs responding to tickets much faster. CSR droid times are down to levels I would expect, these are very good and needed changes.

I do not want to be considered a troll, but I will not put my head in the sand either. SWTOR had a very rough start, I see good changes happening, I hope this trend continues. I look forward to chapter 4 and the story it will bring, and I believe this game can start growing again if these changes are brought to light.

I placed a good deal of personal credibility on the line when I recommended this game to all my friends and relatives. Some of them give me grief now for doing so, with the direction 1.2 went in. That is where I am coming from, and why I want so passionately for Bioware to get this right.

Nice to see the team introduce themselves, kind of offended that we have no jedi knights or bounty hunters though :/ those are my mains :(

Don't worry - I'm sure there are multiple devs and QA playtesters that have them. Maybe we'll hear from them in a future thread/blog =P

... I am not trying to beat a dead horse ...

But you are. A mistake was made (giving into players who complain that responses are too slow), they admitted to it (posting too quickly with incomplete information), and even personally called all those involved. It's done. The hatchet's been buried :wea_12:

Edited by psi_overtake

I have just read the blog

Firstly i will say this, about time

Secondly, i have been quite critical of the community team and their communique on these boards and generally

But

This is a real step in the right direction if you do as you say and i applaud the effort

Thankyou and it is good to get the chance to interact with you all, hopefully we can all word together to make this game great !

I would really like to see a little more due diligence from forum moderators. They seem to be very quick to close threads and redirect people, when it isn't always the best action. I understand that a lot of times there is some overlap, but it seems like sometimes a mod will come along and say 'Oh this person is talking about their PC, better lock this up and direct them to this other thread', when the other thread doesn't really apply, but it is talking about PC's also.

One thing that I'd like to see if the Community Managers could assist with is getting a response to the current sound issues described in the following threads:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=404537

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=459044

It would be wonderful to see where you guys are with this and to know whether or not there is a path to resolution in place.

I would re-subscribe if I knew that this issue was resolvable and if there is an intention to resolve it in an upcoming(within the next month) patch.

It’s been quite some time since we’ve been updated on this and the silence is deafening (not unlike Voidstar after 5-6 Warzone matches played).

Too little too late. Hope you can turn it around but basic things that have been discussed already have left me personally with little faith that this game can be saved.

It's been mentioned before about known issues and bugs, but D7 was unplayable for months and never made it into known issues. The repeated copying of cloned characters on the first major boss was unacceptable to be fixed sooner than at 1.2 patch, let alone addressed as "hey we know about this and we're working on it."

Same thing for several daily quests on Ilum. Problems with them bugging and becoming unable to be completed. For end game grinding of tokens it was a major kick to those of grinding for stuff. Never mentioned in known bugs.

Sorcerer Rakati chest piece color was wrong, and to my knowledge is still wrong.

Patch notes not making it into the patch notes....I mean that happened yesterday. That's happened throughout the last 6 months of patch notes.

Promises made in "upoming patches" and then we get half of what was promised. For example mods and orange gear and set bonus's. I don't have the patience to go back and link the developer blog where it said they would be trasferable and then when 1.2 patch came out a few words were added that it would only be for new armor sets post 1.2. Coincidence that it was after a pay period was up? Maybe not but alot of us made the statements about it.

Also been stated before but the incident with the pvp on hoth and attitude shown by the community manager that it was the players fault and couldn't be the GM's fault really fits into alot of people's perception that everyone at bioware has a superior attitude and that that the game will be put out how bioware wants to put it out. This also came across in a video by Daniel Ericksson about the upcoming 1.3 patch.

Coupled that with layoffs and restructuring at the company.

You have your jobs cut out for you and hope things turn around but I'm not willing to pay my $15/month any more to find out.

Edited by Malthiir

Great initiative guys. Very well done. I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of the PvP lead--will be great to have a "go to" guy or girl just for PvPers. :)

Also, I don't know if it's possible but I would love to see an icon or a color indicator to show if a person posting in these forums is subbed or unsubbed. I bet we would find 90% of the blind rage comes from non-customers of the game.

Edited by Tormm

This post alone deserves my $15 a month, idc if my server is dead, takes 3 days to get daily done or 6-7 players on fleet during peek time or EA claiming Sims is a greater priority than swtor, or the fact alot of people waited 2 years for this game and in the ended in dead servers, all that matters is this post, so thank you new community manager. Don't listen to the Q.Q, this game is perfect and your post solved half my problems.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion, and obviously game updates are incredibly important to all of us, but please note that we are the community team and not the development team. This blog post was meant to address the community team and new changes. We'll have more information for you regarding the game itself when we are able to share.

Here are the first sentences from few paragraphs on your so called blog:

Sr. Community Coordinator Allison Berryman is heavily involved in writing all of the Patch Notes

Community Production Coordinator Alyson Bridge, along with Assistant Community Production Coordinator Courtney Woods, prepares and publishes content on SWTOR.com

Live Community Coordinator Amber Green makes sure that any issues that develop get escalated to the Live Services team and gets messages out to the community accordingly

And my post again:

If you have no information regarding the future of this game, the patch notes, a short list of "things that are going live within next 30 days" or "things that will be going live within next 60 days", the entire introduction is exactly as this post - worthless.

Great news to have a team that can handle all of the trolling and negativity that is driving away anything constructive about these forums. Job number 1 for the community team is clean house and make the forums useful, I'm pretty sure that's why Stephen Reid never posted here. I want direct dev feedback and the only way we will ever get that is to literally perma ban people who are here to start troll fests.

Would be cool indeed, as long as they don't consider my posts saying Allison is hot is trolling. xD

But yeah, I know what you mean.