Star wars 3d 4th for weekend

keiklo

Taken from yahoo.com

For the first time since Christmas weekend 2008 -- and for the first non-holiday weekend ever -- four movies debuted to more than $20 million. "The Vow" more than doubled that sum, taking an estimated $41.7 million. "Safe House" nearly doubled it, with $39.3 million.

"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" beat all expectations with $27.6 million and Fox's 3D re-release of "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" grossed a solid $23 million.

While it is too early in the year to say that the slump that plagued the box office in 2011 is over, Hollywood has reason to celebrate today.

"The weekend itself is a record-breaker," Nikki Rocco, Universal's distribution chief, told TheWrap Sunday morning.

In addition to this being the first non-holiday weekend to have four movies debut to more than $20 million, she said this is the biggest non-holiday February weekend ever.

Proud i helped make this record setting achievement, but also mildly amused that out of all those brand new flicks something that people own on VHS, DVD, and BluRay was still able to achieve such a high number in 3 days.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To call it entertainment is an affront to the word.

Please dont spteak for everyone else.

If you didnt like this movie or any other thats yopu OPINION not a fact.

People bash the prequils but NEVER gives a reason for why they are "bad".

Edited by Darth_Grissom

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-iii-revenge-of-the-sith/

EDIT: And now he added:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars-the-phantom-menace-3d/

Edited by Koalachan

I got through around 2-3 minutes of each.

One of the things I did hear him say is that "maybe the second movie will be better because it wont have a little kid like the phantom menace did" ***????

Umm yeah, if thats one of the reasons why the first movie was considered bad, then I really feel sorry for people. I still like the goonies, just as I liked the first one.

Again, give me an actual REASON why they all were horrible. I think they did great with the backstory and explained how cader became to be.

I got through around 2-3 minutes of each.

One of the things I did hear him say is that "maybe the second movie will be better because it wont have a little kid like the phantom menace did" ***????

Umm yeah, if thats one of the reasons why the first movie was considered bad, then I really feel sorry for people. I still like the goonies, just as I liked the first one.

Again, give me an actual REASON why they all were horrible. I think they did great with the backstory and explained how cader became to be.

Maybe you should actually try watching it then. I mean, I just watched 2-3 minutes of the superbowl, and figured if they're just going to hike the ball and throw it once without scoring.

Edited by Koalachan

People will never give a reason why the prequels were bad, the best you'll ever get is....

Jar jar binks

Kid anakin

and they didnt live up to the OT

My response to that would be

Ewoks

Lando

and Technology changed from 1977 to 1999

I love all the movies and TBH im not afraid to admit EP1 is prlly my favorite because well

Liam Fu**ing Neeson

and POD RACING

FORCE RUN!

rebreather

flash speeders

PADME!

Corusant

I could go on

Maybe you should actually try watching it then. I mean, I just watched 2-3 minutes of the superbowl, and figured if they're just going to hike the ball and throw it once without scoring.

Pretty sure the man asked why YOU dont like them, not for a link to some over dosing fanboi whose nerd rage could collapse a galaxy far far away

Firstly, stash the 'that's your opinion, man' argument. Secondly, the idea that you 'never' get any reasons why they are bad is inane. You either are not looking, or are blinded by fandom to notice. Which is fine. I am not saying you shouldn't like the films. I don't care if you do. There are plenty of films I like, that I am sure you wouldn't.

As to reasons:

The most obvious failure is the writing. That is where most problems with the film start. Its a very poorly written film. In terms of dialogue, pacing, plot elements, etc. Its all bad. Lucas himself has said he is not a writer, and he is 100% right about that.

The only good scene of action is the fight between Darth Maul and Qui Gon. Its actually staged competently, and the part where they are separated by the force field, and Maul paces while Qui-Gon sits in meditation is probably the best visual representation of the differences between Sith and Jedi in any of the films.

The acting, at best, is mediocre. And this partly due to the Lucas's direction and the weak script. Casting a wooden boy in your lead doesn't help either.

The effects, today, look more dated than the original. All that fake everything looks just like that, fake. Wait ten years, and watch the remake of The Thing, and then watch Carpenter's The Thing, and tell me which one looks better. If Lucas would clean up the originals (remove mattes, etc) and not add in his extra crap, it would stand way ahead of visual realization vs the prequels. Good CG shouldn't be noticed. Like good editing. We are not there yet where we can create a whole world in a computer. No matter how many times Lucas tries.

I could go on, but I have to get back to work. Someone posted the Red Letter Media videos. They are worth watching. Under all the 'comedy' and randomness is some real, on point, criticism. I was surprised to see how many of the ideas I had about the film he covered.

I saw this movie when it first came out, before the first midnight showings (I worked at the theater at the time). I was so disappointed and sickened by the complete failure of it that I wanted to tell the people waiting in line for the first real showing to just go home. It took me ten years to watch the other two, and I wish I didn't.

But enjoy if you like it. More power to you.

So i watched 10 mnutes of the phantom menace 3d thing.

This guy got through the characters part.

I happen to like all 6 movies characters and think they all did a good job playing them.

Again, the guy has not given One reason to actually make me think that the movie was horrible.

Its entertainment, nothing more. Just as this game is.

Edited by Darth_Grissom

So i watched 10 mnutes of the phantom menace 3d thing.

This guy igot through the characters part.

I happen to like all 6 movies characters and think they all did a good job playing them.

Again, the guy has not given One reason to actually make me think that the movie was horrible.

Its entertainment, nothing more. Just as this game is.

I haven't watched the 3d one. That one is actually new from when I watched them. So I have no clue what's on it, nor make any claims about it.

Firstly, stash the 'that's your opinion, man' argument. Secondly, the idea that you 'never' get any reasons why they are bad is inane. You either are not looking, or are blinded by fandom to notice. Which is fine. I am not saying you shouldn't like the films. I don't care if you do. There are plenty of films I like, that I am sure you wouldn't.

As to reasons:

The most obvious failure is the writing. That is where most problems with the film start. Its a very poorly written film. In terms of dialogue, pacing, plot elements, etc. Its all bad. Lucas himself has said he is not a writer, and he is 100% right about that.

The only good scene of action is the fight between Darth Maul and Qui Gon. Its actually staged competently, and the part where they are separated by the force field, and Maul paces while Qui-Gon sits in meditation is probably the best visual representation of the differences between Sith and Jedi in any of the films.

The acting, at best, is mediocre. And this partly due to the Lucas's direction and the weak script. Casting a wooden boy in your lead doesn't help either.

The effects, today, look more dated than the original. All that fake everything looks just like that, fake. Wait ten years, and watch the remake of The Thing, and then watch Carpenter's The Thing, and tell me which one looks better. If Lucas would clean up the originals (remove mattes, etc) and not add in his extra crap, it would stand way ahead of visual realization vs the prequels. Good CG shouldn't be noticed. Like good editing. We are not there yet where we can create a whole world in a computer. No matter how many times Lucas tries.

I could go on, but I have to get back to work. Someone posted the Red Letter Media videos. They are worth watching. Under all the 'comedy' and randomness is some real, on point, criticism. I was surprised to see how many of the ideas I had about the film he covered.

I saw this movie when it first came out, before the first midnight showings (I worked at the theater at the time). I was so disappointed and sickened by the complete failure of it that I wanted to tell the people waiting in line for the first real showing to just go home. It took me ten years to watch the other two, and I wish I didn't.

But enjoy if you like it. More power to you.

So I dont think I can see a good script out of a bad one.

I mean, I like the goonies and Red Dawn and thought they were entertaining.

I am glad you actually gave me a reason why you didnt like them. If other feel that way then that is cool.

I personally dont look at movies and try to see how the script is doing or how fast or slow paced the moie is.

There is one movie I didnt like and it was called Dragon Wars that I rented. I could tell what the difference tat movie was compared to say, inception which was reeally entertaining. Dragon wars was not.

Maybe I dont have the nack to look at movies in dept like others do but I can honestly say that I wouldnt want too.

Im able to enjoy alot of different movies for their entertainment purposes such as The Poppet Master franchise. Blade FTW!

Anyway, thanks again for that.

Taken from yahoo.com

For the first time since Christmas weekend 2008 -- and for the first non-holiday weekend ever -- four movies debuted to more than $20 million. "The Vow" more than doubled that sum, taking an estimated $41.7 million. "Safe House" nearly doubled it, with $39.3 million.

"Journey 2: The Mysterious Island" beat all expectations with $27.6 million and Fox's 3D re-release of "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" grossed a solid $23 million.

While it is too early in the year to say that the slump that plagued the box office in 2011 is over, Hollywood has reason to celebrate today.

"The weekend itself is a record-breaker," Nikki Rocco, Universal's distribution chief, told TheWrap Sunday morning.

In addition to this being the first non-holiday weekend to have four movies debut to more than $20 million, she said this is the biggest non-holiday February weekend ever

Proud i helped make this record setting achievement, but also mildly amused that out of all those brand new flicks something that people own on VHS, DVD, and BluRay was still able to achieve such a high number in 3 days.

Put it into the proper perspective: this is a 3D re-release that got its butt kicked by a critically-panned *romance* film. Romance, as in that genre that typically grosses less than just about any other outside of indie art-house films. I imagine the reason that Lucas picked this month was to avoid competition from summer films that would likely bury his film.

Edited by Meluna
content

So I dont think I can see a good script out of a bad one.

I mean, I like the goonies and Red Dawn and thought they were entertaining.

I am glad you actually gave me a reason why you didnt like them. If other feel that way then that is cool.

I personally dont look at movies and try to see how the script is doing or how fast or slow paced the moie is.

There is one movie I didnt like and it was called Dragon Wars that I rented. I could tell what the difference tat movie was compared to say, inception which was reeally entertaining. Dragon wars was not.

Maybe I dont have the nack to look at movies in dept like others do but I can honestly say that I wouldnt want too.

Im able to enjoy alot of different movies for their entertainment purposes such as The Poppet Master franchise. Blade FTW!

Anyway, thanks again for that.

I love Goonies. I love Red Dawn. I love Blade (even Blade: Trinity, which isn't great to say the least). So I understand liking films on a purely entertainment level. There is a 'bad movie' from 1975 called The Love Butcher. On the surface, its a cheap stalker film. But it contains such a tour de force acting job by the lead (playing multiple roles) that I can't help but love the film. Its campy and awesome at the same time. I just see anything in The Phantom Menace that engages me (except that one fight I mentioned).

I agree, Dragon Wars is the suck.

I watched all the reviews and i find them hilarious. The movies got so much stupid mistakes in them, it´s just.....hilarious. But that doesn´t change the fact, that the movies entertained me. ^^