Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

*adds voice to requests for chat bubbles*

I really really want to RP, but since all you can do is watch the chat box, not look at the people in the game, it's impossible, at least for me :(

It's frustrating not to be able to say a simple "Hi!" to people you meet, because the chances are they won't notice unless they're glued to the chat box - I know I've missed people saying things to me, even in guild or party chat, let alone general, because I'm watching the game, not the box.

Chat bubbles seem like an elementary feature an MMORPG needs in order for players to roleplay and truly immerse in the game. I was really surprised this was missing. The lack of chat bubbles does show Bioware as rather noobish in the MMORPG arena, they won't last long in this field if they keep ditching out important aspects of online massive multiplayer roleplaying games such as these.

Oh, so there is a thread about this already.

The first thing i noticed when i started playing swtor few days ago is the lack of chat bubbles.

It's not just for roleplaying, it helps the community in-game and makes you notice other players.

Bioware, you muted gamers. It feels like a single player game. While it is awesome in every aspect, the lack of chat bubbles made me disregard all other people. Is that the general attitude you want us to take? I'm puzzled really. It's not such a big feature.

I will complete the story and prolly continue subscription. But once the story ends, that's gonna be it. There will be no incentive to coninue playing. Players/Gamers make an MMORPG. Yeah, we, social beeings. All the amazing make up in the world won't make this a decade lasting mmorpg if you mute us.

Thanks.

The first thing i noticed when i started playing swtor few days ago is the lack of chat bubbles.

It's not just for roleplaying, it helps the community in-game and makes you notice other players.

Bioware, you muted gamers. It feels like a single player game. While it is awesome in every aspect, the lack of chat bubbles made me disregard all other people. Is that the general attitude you want us to take? I'm puzzled really. It's not such a big feature.

I will complete the story and prolly continue subscription. But once the story ends, that's gonna be it. There will be no incentive to coninue playing. Players/Gamers make an MMORPG. Yeah, we, social beeings. All the amazing make up in the world won't make this a decade lasting mmorpg if you mute us.

Thanks.

This hits the nail on the head.

Bioware, you muted gamers. It feels like a single player game.

There's something to this--there really is.

In other games, I've often struck up conversations with people who just happened to be in the area, but I've done it almost not at all in SWTOR, because when I have, half the time they don't even realize I've said anything. Regardless of the fact that the lack of chat bubbles compels people to always be paying attention to their chat box, the fact is, many people aren't paying very close attention to it for various reasons. They're way more likely to be looking at your avatar.

I actually see this as a super-high priority that should be right up there with other high priority bug fixes and content updates.

Edited by thewatcheruatu

chat bubbles are crucial!

no chat bubbles --> no RP --> no interaction with other players = singleplayer-feeling = no future for the game (at least for me ;) )

Very well said.

There's something to this--there really is.

In other games, I've often struck up conversations with people who just happened to be in the area, but I've done it almost not at all in SWTOR, because when I have, half the time they don't even realize I've said anything. Regardless of the fact that the lack of chat bubbles compels people to always be paying attention to their chat box, the fact is, many people aren't paying very close attention to it for various reasons. They're way more likely to be looking at your avatar.

I actually see this as a super-high priority that should be right up there with other high priority bug fixes and content updates.

And so do I. Edited by Glzmo

On the recent forum posted hot-topic poll, it had 3457 total votes (which is unique accounts who have access to the game). According to those sketchy playerbase number reporting sites, this game has 'over hundreds of thousands' of players. So 3.4k out of 100k+ is a small percentage of people who use these forums to submit feedback to the devs.

That small percentage is then charged with issue posts about quality of life improvements, minor pvp issues, and game engine woes.

Guess what the devs listen to? Yup, pvp issues. So apparently a teeny representative of the player base is enough for the devs to focus all their attention on something they admitted was only actually being 'tried' 'less then half' the time according to their metrics data. Yet dozens of quality of life issues (like chat bubbles) that actually improve the game on a huge scale, is left ignored time and time again.

Luckily they have made attempts at engine woes... but I've yet to see them actually work. Haha.

Where am I going with this?! Granted those here voicing their desire for chat bubbles is still within that 3.4k of representatives. Judging by the posts in these threads, there is a much higher percentage wanting chat bubbles then against. If the devs listen to a smaller group griping about some obscure pvp dynamic that affects less then half the player base, why won't they listen to something like this topic, which affects pretty much everyone across the entire game, pvp included??

Baffling their silence on chat bubbles.

As a side note: Luckily the results of that poll has caused them to finally once and for all do cooldowns right (options driven, yay).

They really should post polls on the game launcher, to capture the ACTUAL playerbase response. Not just us freaks who torment our brains with these forums.

Ok, end total tangent.

That small percentage is then charged with issue posts about quality of life improvements, minor pvp issues, and game engine woes.

Guess what the devs listen to? Yup, pvp issues. So apparently a teeny representative of the player base is enough for the devs to focus all their attention on something they admitted was only actually being 'tried' 'less then half' the time according to their metrics data. Yet dozens of quality of life issues (like chat bubbles) that actually improve the game on a huge scale, is left ignored time and time again.

What saddens me is that they are making all the rookie mistakes that developers of MMORPGs have made 8+ years ago, instead of learning from the mistakes of others that took them painful lessons to learn.

I really don't get it. Chat bubbles are easy to implement. They have been working in beta - even as an option. Just give us that option back. Can't be that hard, can it? If it is, then Bioware needs to fire their developers and hire proper professional designers and programmers that actually know their field of expertise and have them do better.

Edited by Stubacca

I just read the Community Q&A: Feb 10th 2012 Blog and of course, they once again ignored chat bubbles, even they were among the more often asked questions in the question thread. Same goes for other RP questions, too. Very sad.

Make sure to ask about chat bubbles again in the Official Q&A Thread for February 17th, 2012 Q&A Blog Post and every single one every week. One day, they won't be able to ignore and dodge the question anymore and it will hit them square in the face. Right? ;)

I just read the Community Q&A: Feb 10th 2012 Blog and of course, they once again ignored chat bubbles, even they were among the more often asked questions in the question thread. Same goes for other RP questions, too. Very sad.

Make sure to ask about chat bubbles again in the Official Q&A Thread for February 17th, 2012 Q&A Blog Post and every single one every week. One day, they won't be able to ignore and dodge the question anymore and it will hit them square in the face. Right? ;)

That is really a shame.

I'm not someone who needs chat bubbles or uses them for RP, sitting on chairs, being able to lay down and a roll system are more important for me. But I do understand that you want them and I support this whole thread.

/sign

What I don't get is: in my opinion, it is rather easy to make roleplayers happy and we are faithful, but we get ignored most of the time. They just have to fix a few things or improve them, thats it. The thing pve & pvpers want are (most of the time) more complex.

Edited by Mishari

Maybe they just want us all to cancel, then they won't HAVE to answer the question?

But, I'm going to ask it again.

The Q&A they posted, did 'touch' on a couple concerns I had, but not in any useful way other than "yeah, its coming in the future sometime". Which is all they need to answer for chat bubbles! My only hope is, with all this huge UI changes they have coming in 1.2... chat bubbles is in that (since its an important UI element).

However I know I will be let down. I have zero faith in their UI team, if all their prior games are any indication of their skill.