Ranked PvP

MelliMelon

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL well we had a couple more hardcore peeps... but yeah the community was great overall! Lot of respect for the enemy flying around there. I miss sneaking into the hamster wheel in ilum to talk to imps or dancing on the dancing rock or the calls for "Desi go get some more pubs so we can fight". I can't believe i miss that place. WTH is wrong with me. :p

P.S. I never seriously pvp'd until this game and actually didn't start doing it until well over 1 month after the game launched. I've always said I'm a PvE girl over PvP.. and started doing mmo's like 13 years ago. Picked an RP server cause the people seem to be more mature and respectable and I don't mind a little RP here and there. Just something to think about for those that yell "why aren't you on a pvp server". Short answer, cause I play where it is fun and for the good people...

Edited by Desiirea

I miss Vrook Lamar

That server had zero community problems and we all got along swell - here seems like Vrook Lamar community is what keeps the peace

YES probably the best times I've ever had on an mmo was when we were all chillin on VL

I miss Vrook Lamar

That server had zero community problems and we all got along swell - here seems like Vrook Lamar community is what keeps the peace

Way to write off the rest of the community. :rolleyes: In my experience with VL people, it seems as if some of the players there disrupt the peace rather than keep it.

The issue with this is PvP only guilds rolling on a PvE/RP server which is dominated by casual pvp'ers... If your serious about PvP you should be on a PvP server plain and simple.... Nobody really has much respect for these guilds with their premades and they are pretty much seen as pvp'ers who couldn't cut it on a pvp server.

You keep writing this, yet I haven't seen you around. You think you're better because you're on a pvp server, then come and see how you do on this server. I can guarantee you it won't be as easy as you think it will. I also think its cute how you keep talking trash and insult rp servers, yet you constantly complain about premades in the pvp forums.

Edited by PoliteAssasin

You keep writing this, yet I haven't seen you around. You think you're better because you're on a pvp server, then come and see how you do on this server. I can guarantee you it won't be as easy as you think it will. I also think its cute how you keep talking trash and insult rp servers, yet you constantly complain about premades in the pvp forums.

/pwn :D

Vrook Lamar was not perfect. To say it had "zero problems" as a community is a lie. There are always problems. It's just a matter of if people let it turn in to something bigger or resolved it. Some people add fuel to the fire, some people try to put out the fire, and some people just turn a blind eye to it all. Edited by Aikon

Sorry to add to derailment Mel, but I think those who weren't on VL underestimate the level of peace on the server. There were unicorns frolicking in Center on Ilum. People took turns picking up the huttball and walking it across the map. Occasionally an opponent would tickle you or crack a joke in hope you would give it to them as a turn of good favor. We would start each civil war with a picnic next to the turret at grass. And when combat did commence, it was a large pillow fight where head shots would earn you a 2 min time out because someone could get hurt. And we ended each week by meeting in Outlaw's Den to roast marshamallows and sing songs around the campfire before the server went down. VL was truly a happy place. I only wish you all could have experienced the joy.

That's hard to believe considering some of the players from that server just don't seem like the happy smiley all around type. I think its rude to blame the servers problems on not only the native population, but any other server that transferred, especially given the behavior of some people from this server you make sound like care bear land. Every server has its issues.

Actually on reflection the server had quite a few issues... some well known about. I think what few bad apples would pop up were for the most part swept under the rug. What I miss is the intermingling that happened in Ilum between factions on occasion. Melyn is right that the forums probably don't help sometimes. I will say this though the folks in BC really laid out the welcome mat during transfers. I couldn't believe the open arms, hellos and chit chat that happened. BC is a great place as well, there are many wonderful folks .. it is what you make of it I guess.

How did a ranked thread get so off topic I have no idea. Listening in on the matches last night was a real treat.

How did a ranked thread get so off topic I have no idea. Listening in on the matches last night was a real treat.

You are a strange person, desi! I cannot listen to

(1) Ranked matches

(2) Progression raids.

They make me so stressed and nervous. Heck, I'm reviewing the ranked videos for improvement and it's stressing me out :(

I'm going to admit it, but I don't see how ranked is enjoyable. To be quite honest, it has never been fun any of the times I've played it. Am I missing something? Maybe its because I'm just a casual noob who isn't too good at pvp, but it just seems to me like it doesn't actually reward well or mean that much.

I'm not trying to say that its useless, I just don't get the point of it for most players, yet this is supposedly where you find out whether people are "good" or "bad." Furthermore, if that is true, what's that really saying about the PvP community as a whole? Again, not trying to troll/be offensive/ be a nuisance/etc. but I just don't get the point of Arena/Ranked systems (especially given the high amount of **** talking that I've noticed some people doing :( ).

Maybe its just me, I'm probably ranting...

So can someone explain this?

- coming from a player that has been told on 8 different occasions "You are terrible at PvP, please quit."

Well ranked gets boring for some people because its so hard to get the right combiniation of 8 people together to play ranked in a competitive manner, that most guilds don't do it. The fact also that there are no cross server queues also helps in making ranked slow and you actually have to set up nights where two guilds actually have to coordinate queues so they can actually do ranked x.x;; its a whole mess of things that makes it not appeasing to alot of people, but some still find it fun.

Now, I love pvp, and will generally always be found doing it. Regulars, ranked, lowbie, I just like pvp. The joy in ranked for me is being with seven other people who are communicating and working well together, and facing another team just as coordinated. The matches are competitive and just all around fun. I personally don’t particularly care about my rating, I don’t need a bunch of comms, I just like pushing my favorite character to new challenges.

And I like to think that I learn something new each time. Or I try to. How to counter a certain strategy, what other healers are doing better than me; I always have something to learn!

Regulars can occasionally provide that, but there can be some pretty unbalanced teams from time to time. So yes, I enjoy ranked, maybe for different reasons than others, but I still enjoy it.

Also, I have to agree, you are -far- from bad.

Finally, good games this week! Always a pleasure facing you, ASB!

I'm going to admit it, but I don't see how ranked is enjoyable. To be quite honest, it has never been fun any of the times I've played it. Am I missing something? Maybe its because I'm just a casual noob who isn't too good at pvp, but it just seems to me like it doesn't actually reward well or mean that much.

I'm not trying to say that its useless, I just don't get the point of it for most players, yet this is supposedly where you find out whether people are "good" or "bad." Furthermore, if that is true, what's that really saying about the PvP community as a whole? Again, not trying to troll/be offensive/ be a nuisance/etc. but I just don't get the point of Arena/Ranked systems (especially given the high amount of **** talking that I've noticed some people doing :( ).

Maybe its just me, I'm probably ranting...

So can someone explain this?

- coming from a player that has been told on 8 different occasions "You are terrible at PvP, please quit."

come on man u know I'm the worst pvper this server has ever seen

Like Jaadis said, the reason ranked is so fun is getting 8 coordinated players against 8 coordinated players and pushing yourself to the limit. There are many reasons why ranked can be NOT fun.

(1) Gear discrepancy

(2) Playing the same team over and over again

(3) People in your team not carrying their weight or not having the right composition.

However, after each ranked night I get a weird PvP high, and have so much adrenaline that it's really exciting. You almost never get that in normals. In normals the match is often decided by who has the premade, or who has worse pugs. In ranked, you either improve your playstyle, improve your strategy, or lose. Ranked MAKES you get better because there is no wiggle room. External rewards shouldn't even be a factor. It's not about rating per se, it's about bringing your best and being your best, constantly thinking of ways to be better.

Each week Grim and ASB bring little... surprises for each other. You can bet that neither side is going to stop thinking of ways to improve. That's the beauty of ranked.

I think the joy in ranked PvP comes in the quality of the game. There are two things I enjoy in PvP, being on a team with smart and capable players, and an evenly fought match. A good ranked match should bring both of those to the table. You can get that in pug PvP, but it's a rarity.

LOL well we had a couple more hardcore peeps... but yeah the community was great overall! Lot of respect for the enemy flying around there. I miss sneaking into the hamster wheel in ilum to talk to imps or dancing on the dancing rock or the calls for "Desi go get some more pubs so we can fight". I can't believe i miss that place. WTH is wrong with me. :p

P.S. I never seriously pvp'd until this game and actually didn't start doing it until well over 1 month after the game launched. I've always said I'm a PvE girl over PvP.. and started doing mmo's like 13 years ago. Picked an RP server cause the people seem to be more mature and respectable and I don't mind a little RP here and there. Just something to think about for those that yell "why aren't you on a pvp server". Short answer, cause I play where it is fun and for the good people...

I'm not talking about the individual person who starts pvp'ing on a PvE/RP server, I'm talking about PvP ONLY guilds rolling on PvE/RP servers for the soul purpose to fight against casual players.... There's a few of these guilds on this server, I don't need to mention their names as everyone knows who they are.

These guilds don't have the courage or skill to play on a PvP server so they roll on these servers so they can dominate and feel good about themselves even tho their victories are hollow... But hey if it makes them feel better about themselves so be it... Just don't be surprised when Que' s keep taking longer and longer as more casual pvp'ers stop playing...

I'm not on a pvp server im on this server.... I have been since the first set of server mergers....

not sure how I insulted RP servers, only people i've insulted are the pvp only guilds who do nothing but roll premades all day long on a PvE/RP server, then come into the forums bragging about how awesome they are.. :D