SWTOR acronyms explained

Icestar

Great Thread!

European Servers:

T3: T3-M4 (German PVE)

TRE/Big Red: The Red Eclipse (English PVE)

JKS: Jar'Kai Sword (German PVP)

ToFN: Tomb of Freedon Nadd (English PVP)

VC: Vanjervalis Chain (German RP)

(I don't know any abbreviations for the other servers though.)

PVE: Player versus Enviroment (You fight against computer-controlled enemies)

PVP: Player versus Player (You fight against other players)

RotHC: Rise of the Hutt Cartel (First expansion, launched with 2.0)

SoR: Shadow of Revan (Second expansion, launched with 3.0)

KotFE: Knights of the Fallen Empire (Third expansion, will launch with (probably) 4.0)

Tat: Tatooine, also Tatooine Homestead/Tatooine Stronghold

NS: Nar Shaddaa, also Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace/Nar Shaddaa Stronghold

SaV: Scum and Villainy

Darvannis: Planet that Scum and Villainy operation is located on, used as synonym for Scum and Villainy

Asation/Asa: Planet that Terror from Beyond operation is located on, used as synonym for Terror from Beyond

Denova: Planet that Explosive Conflict operation is located on, used as synonym for Explosive Conflict

UL: Underlurker, the third boss in the Temple of Sacrifice operation

M&B: Master and Blaster, the fourth boss in the The Ravagers operation

SM: StoryMode, easiest difficulty mode for PVE

HM/HC: HardMode/HardCode, advanced difficulty mode for PVE

NM/NiM: Nightmare Mode, hardest difficulty mode for PVE (operations only)

Comms: Commendations

Threat: (PVE only) The player with the highest threat on an enemy is attacked by this enemy. Threat is mainly generated by dealing damage to the enemy, healing a person in combat with the enemy or using a taunt ability on the enemy

Overheal: The amount of healing that had no effect because the target was already at full health

EHPS: The amount of HPS that actually healed your target

DTPS: Damage Taken Per Second

HTPS: Healing Taken/Received Per Second

TPS: Threat Per Second

APM: Abilities Per Minute (depending on class and discipline, APMs considered good range from ~38 to 50)

(You should really check the list for duplicates, like Sin for assassin)

Some of these are also used in other mmos not just swtor

The list has grewn large to include all kinds of useful things but I will still keep them there because they are used ingame. Like AFK or BRB for example.

Feel free to give more feedback or suggestions.

Many thanks, CheaterLL and Sangiban!

+1 for sticky!

Thank you, yeah it would be great if they made this post sticky.

Keep the feedback comming and please write iif you like it.

Edited by Icestar

Gimp = using (or more appropriately misusing) abilities and stats that do not suit your character and/or play style that results in a significant decrease in effectiveness (i.e. using gear with the Aim stat on a force using character, or having the accuracy stat on a healer's gear, or selecting a utility that serves no purpose in your chosen/current play style (when there is a utility that does serve a purpose), or severely mistiming the use of an ability)

To me that word is used in a negative way and I only want positive explanations on the list. I do not want to teach the readers to call other players negative things. Thank you for the contribution and I hope you understand :tran_smile: Edited by Icestar

To me that word is used in a negative way and I only want positive explanations on the list. I do not want to teach the readers to call other players negative things. Thank you for the contribution and I hope you understand :tran_smile:

I understand completely, but what happens when that word is used in game and a new player does not know what it means? Just saying.

Nice list. Even I learned 2 or 3 new things. Good job everyone! Definitely helpful for new players coming in (hopefully) with KotFE.

One question though: Is "Pub" really the acronym for "Republic" on all servers? Alrik already mentioned that in german language they say "Rep" and I mainly play on The Progenitor (european RP server) and I have always been used to "rep(s)" and "imp(s)" there. I always thought that it's "Pub" only in America, because "Rep" refers to one of their political parties?

Please fellow Progenitors, correct me if I am wrong, but Rep = Republic (and not Pub). Right?

Nice list. Even I learned 2 or 3 new things. Good job everyone! Definitely helpful for new players coming in (hopefully) with KotFE.

One question though: Is "Pub" really the acronym for "Republic" on all servers?

Thank you!

I use the term Pub for Republic but I will gladly update with "Rep" aswell since there are some that use this term.

Edited by Icestar

I added some chat commands aswell, please give me feedback if you find the thread useful or want to add something more :tran_smile:

/p = /group

/i NAME = invite to group

/gi NAME = invite to guild

/fr NAME = add to friends list

/1 = general chat

/2 = pvp chat

/3 = trade chat

/p = /group

/i NAME = invite to group

/gi NAME = invite to guild

/fr NAME = add to friends list

/1 = general chat

/2 = pvp chat

/3 = trade chat

Excellent, I updated the list.

Keep the feedback comming and more suggestions to the list

I understand completely, but what happens when that word is used in game and a new player does not know what it means? Just saying.

Sorry for responding late to thisone, I missed your reply.

Well, if any player gets called something in the game that is negative there are lots of other ways to find out what it means. The term you refer to is used in a negative way as a namecalling, and I do not want players to have learned about that in our collection of explanations. I hope that one day new players will visit this thread and say "hey, this is excellent to know" and to use all those terms ingame.

New players are comming and I wish that all new players take a look at the list to learn what the chatter is all about when players try to interact with eachother in this game, it will make communication a bit more easier :tran_smile:

Edited by Icestar

I have a question:

Do you consider GTG to be "Got to go" or "Good to go"?

I asked around and got different answers, I would like to know what you think before I add it. The first thing means someone has to leave and the other that someone is ready to attack, kind of important to know what it means.

Edited by Icestar

I sometimes use the former, but I occasionally see the latter - I guess you need to take it in context. If you are in the middle of a FP, its probably good-to-go, but if you've completed it and are saying goodbye- Got-to-go.

For clarity, I'd put both in the list one after the other.

You might consider adding:

YSH: Yavin Stronghold.

BCW: Bounty contract week.

'Tog' and/or 'Toggy' : Togruta. - A playable race.

Gree: The Gree event on Ilum PvE and PvP objectives, Plus an operations boss.

I sometimes use the former, but I occasionally see the latter - I guess you need to take it in context. If you are in the middle of a FP, its probably good-to-go, but if you've completed it and are saying goodbye- Got-to-go.

For clarity, I'd put both in the list one after the other.

You might consider adding:

YSH: Yavin Stronghold.

BCW: Bounty contract week.

'Tog' and/or 'Toggy' : Togruta. - A playable race.

Gree: The Gree event on Ilum PvE and PvP objectives, Plus an operations boss.

Thank you I updated the list with your contributions. Do they really call the Togruta race a Toggy? :tran_wink:

Keep the feedback and the contributions comming!

Edited by Icestar