Achievers/Completionists - Share your thoughts on 2.0

Jenzali

I haven't seen a thread like this yet, so here it is. Full completionists, achievement chasers, codex librarians, this is your thread to comment on how you feel about patch 2.0.

Good:

- I am very glad that the achievements system has been added. There is always something to work towards even when you have finished all the quests and codex entries.

- Feels nice to finally feel the "shinies". Unlocking a codex entry just wasn't as satisfying as having the banner pop up on your screen and being announced to your guild.

- The system awards both altaholics (through the various class story achievements) as well as people who stick with a single character (e.g. Valor 100, Operations/PvP achievements, Social X).

- There's finally an in-game way to earn Cartel Coins. I had almost 1000 coins added to my account upon logging into all my characters last night.

Bad:

- For large guilds, the amount of achievement spam can be tiresome and floods out guild chat. There needs to be a separate chat filter for achievement options.

- I feel physically ill when looking at some of the achievements, especially given that I am on an RP-PvE server. I was on Voss for hours and hours yesterday (I always flag myself no matter where I am) finishing all the quests and picking up the missing codex entries and didn't run into even a single flagged enemy player. Killing 1000 enemy players per planet is simply absurd.

- Other achievements still make me feel ill, such as killing 750 of each type of beast on a planet. I suppose I understand that its not supposed to be done all at once, and rather over the course of levelling up 4 to 8 characters through that planet, but it's still a very daunting number.

- I know it's due to technical reasons, but a immense advantage is given to characters who level up post-2.0 because a lot of the achievements could not be awarded retroactively (most notably killing enemies on a planet, and killing enemies with a companion). Because of this I will probably entirely re-roll certain characters.

Things I would like to see:

- Codex lore entries (not achievements) should be legacy-wide as well so that all the unobtainable entries could be obtained across different classes/factions. I think its important that you'd still need to get datacrons on every character otherwise new players would have a very difficult time getting a group together for the +10 on the fleet since most players will have it already unlocked for their entire legacy

- Planet-based PvP achievements should be hidden/disabled on PvE servers. I see no way that this achievement is feasible, hoping to find 1000 flagged players.

- Possibly some way of notifying players that they need to actually log into each character for the character's achievements to be unlocked.

Speaking of which, resources for completionists like us seem to be lacking, or very difficult to use on most of the SWTOR database sites. I'm also making this thread to gauge interest on a possible "SWTOR Completionist" website.

Edited by Jenzali

I have been playing this game since beta and genuinely enjoy this game. I have spent a lot of hours doing a lot of odd ball things and doing lots of lore/codex hunting. I have always enjoyed being the completionist and it is easy when it is star wars stuff for me to want to get as many lore/codex/achievo possible. so here goes my pros and cons on 2.0. Sorry for some of the rants but they have been a long time coming.

Pros:

1. The achievement system was a much needed and very welcome aspect to the game. Especially with the opportunity to reward Cartel Coins. Being a avid subscriber, i like being able to get these since I am paying monthly and 600 coins a month never seem to get me what I want so this extra rewards are a great way to keep people playing.

2. Legacy wide stuff is a huge bonus. So many games i have played my specific style and have never been rewarded for doing things through multiple characters. Not having to do things twice is super helpful and allows me to play multiple classes without worry.

Cons:

1. Fix the damn lore/achievement bugs and problems. For a year and a half I have been harping to just fix the damn codex. It has never been a glaring problem but something hidden and the majority of players couldn't give a wink. Now, however you have brought this issue into a glaring problem with the addition of achievements. The achievements systems says here, come do all this stuff in our game and we will reward you for it. But wait, you have not fixed the damn issues from the first codex problems and then you transferred all of the previous problems into this new fancy system that more players notice and now can not complete. For example, why in frackin hell would you put and achievement on tython for a terentatek when you know full damn well that the codex is nowhere on this planet, there is no bloody terentatek on the world so now no one can complete this planet. All it made me do was quit and not want to play the damn game because apparently Bioware doesn't care to want to fix this (been a year and a half already) and never do they say in there posts about known issues do they say this is a need or priority.

2. Yes the pvp in worlds achievements is complete crap and im saying this having been on a pvp server the entire time. I have barely had 100 encounters on all worlds with pvp let alone 1000 per planet. Have we not learned are lesson what so many players hate about open world pvp. Don't reward the *** holes for ganking lower levels. If you want to increase world pvp which they are trying miserably to do, then reward players for open world pvp with valor or comms and or increase the rates for them as you fight more appropriate level toons. And move these to pvp tab as it is not an exploration.

3. I can't say im not disappointed in that so many things ive done previously were not rewarded for achievements but have some education in the industry i understand that this achievement system needed to be a forethought when the game was released to implement programming for this type of stat tracking in order for these achievements to be rewarded upon release. Obviously this system was not a forethought.

In conclusion, i would just like to say that adding achievements properly will help the long term success of the game but if you take as much care with it as you did the codex then all is for nothing as it becomes a pointless system if you can't complete things. Bioware's attitude toward this system is a background problem at best and unless they fix which they have now made a glaring issue in my opinion, then long term success will be stifled and long term players will have less to play for and quit, like i am now debating.

Now, however you have brought this issue into a glaring problem with the addition of achievements. The achievements systems says here, come do all this stuff in our game and we will reward you for it. But wait, you have not fixed the damn issues from the first codex problems and then you transferred all of the previous problems into this new fancy system that more players notice and now can not complete. For example, why in frackin hell would you put and achievement on tython for a terentatek when you know full damn well that the codex is nowhere on this planet, there is no bloody terentatek on the world so now no one can complete this planet.

^^^This, 1000 times this. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a completionist with probably one of the most filled-out codicies in the game, and this really, really pisses me off. When I logged into the game after 2.0 and was looking at all the achievements, I was excited. Then, after getting 7000 points or w/e it is to start, I saw how they buggered it up: I get that they cannot credit you retroactively for "x" amount of wampa kills and so on, but how is it I have op bosses and fp bosses not credited but the credit for the last boss is given? Not like I can skip Jarg/Sorno and get to Karagga... How does HK not have 10000/10000 affection when I'm staring at his 10000/10000 bar?

Then the biggie, the mother of all shi tty things for me: they didn't fix the ffing codex bugs as the quote here says. How can you institute a system that encourages and REQUIRES you to get codex hits, then not fix them? Back in June we were promised a fix, where is it? The achievement system isn't a fix, it's building a skyscraper on a bad foundation. Considering hanging it up for a while now, and this sure didn't help matters. Really just another half-as sed thing from EAware. Sad thing is, it had and still has so much potential.

- I feel physically ill when looking at some of the achievements, especially given that I am on an RP-PvE server. I was on Voss for hours and hours yesterday (I always flag myself no matter where I am) finishing all the quests and picking up the missing codex entries and didn't run into even a single flagged enemy player. Killing 1000 enemy players per planet is simply absurd.

- I know it's due to technical reasons, but a immense advantage is given to characters who level up post-2.0 because a lot of the achievements could not be awarded retroactively (most notably killing enemies on a planet, and killing enemies with a companion). Because of this I will probably entirely re-roll certain characters.

Those make you ill? Can I add to your list of, "ARE YOU SERIOUSCANITHROWUPNOW?" :)

-Pet collecting. Marred by having to have the tauntaun ram which you could only get by having a subscription in a very tiny window and no other time.

In addition, the faun tauntaun which you have to go to a convention for.

-Collecting mounts where one was a pre order bonus.

I'm sure there's others that are just as bad, but those were just the ones that I found.

'Cmon Bioware? Can you just let the superspecial thing be superspecial by itself instead of hurting those that don't have it?

Gorram tauntauns.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment expressed in this thread so far. I'm a completionist and was very excited when I started reading about the achievement system that was going to be implemented in 2.0. One of the main reasons for my excitement was the idea that the codex entries that have been bugged since launch (and some in beta) would get fixed because they would be part of this whole new system added to the game. I was extremely disappointed when 2.0 was released and there continued to be holes in this now "featured" part of the game.

There are several things about the broken/missing entries that boggle the mind. Creatures listed for one planet that are actually found somewhere else. Races/locations that are entirely unobtainable. Titles that are no longer available but there is still an entry in the codex. For a long time there were datacrons listed for Quesh that were actually found on Corellia (fixed in 1.3 I think).

The achievement and legacy systems are a great way fix the deficiencies of the original codex. With the addition of the achievement system, the old codex should have been converted in to a new one that is shared across a player's legacy (along with datacrons). I'm sure it wasn't possible at launch but this is something myself and several other players I know would like to see implemented.

The achievement and legacy systems are a great way fix the deficiencies of the original codex. With the addition of the achievement system, the old codex should have been converted in to a new one that is shared across a player's legacy (along with datacrons). I'm sure it wasn't possible at launch but this is something myself and several other players I know would like to see implemented.

WTB legacy datacrons, it's honestly not fun to do the jawa balloon/trooper knock-you-up 8 times. But I'll trade it all for FIXED codicies.

Edited by Twolightsabers