Guide to Bioware Logic in PvP

Kenjigreat

PVP'ers should be rewarded for their hard work. Dumbing down WZ's is not the answer. It discourages incentive on becoming more powerful.

I had no problem with players crushing me in their Elite War Hero sets....they deserved it because they worked for it! It only gave me more incentive to reach that level.

Bioware made a mess out of the system

Edited by Hatebane

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to be bolstered should I ever feel the need to do a flashpoint or operation. Is that fair? No. And, unlike most of the bads here who think gear is the only thing separating them from winning - I wouldn't want it that way. I don't get good pve gear because I don't run fps and ops. In other words, I don't pve. Now, call me crazy, but that makes sense to me. I shouldn't get gear for that aspect if I'm not actively participating in that aspect.

Bolster reinforces the idea that pvpers are second class citizens. Like pvp is something to do when you're bored or can't fill an ops. The fact of the matter is, if my pvp gear was bolstered in ops to a top level, carebears would lose their minds with rage. Don't give me that nonsense about getting pvp gear even if you lose. The time spent is the same. It's a grind. Taking gear grind away from the equation means many will leave.

A lot of people left GW2 because of the lack of vertical grind.

And, in case you'd like to accuse me of being someone who needs gear to pwn, I never really have top tier pvp gear. I typically grind to one level below top, and maybe get the mainhand. Then, it's on to gearing my other toons. The difference is marginal - particularly if you're good - and also, if min/maxing doesn't interest you.

Bolster is a joke. If bolster is something that's so important, just piss on everyone and remove expertise. Adjust the stats attained pvping to equal those of the pve sets, and you're all done. Then, people can gear however they want and no one will ever feel violated. I'm not saying I'm for or against that, just that it's easier to do than implementing a broken bolster system.

I'd like to be bolstered should I ever feel the need to do a flashpoint or operation. Is that fair? No. And, unlike most of the bads here who think gear is the only thing separating them from winning - I wouldn't want it that way. I don't get good pve gear because I don't run fps and ops. In other words, I don't pve. Now, call me crazy, but that makes sense to me. I shouldn't get gear for that aspect if I'm not actively participating in that aspect.

Bolster reinforces the idea that pvpers are second class citizens. Like pvp is something to do when you're bored or can't fill an ops. The fact of the matter is, if my pvp gear was bolstered in ops to a top level, carebears would lose their minds with rage. Don't give me that nonsense about getting pvp gear even if you lose. The time spent is the same. It's a grind. Taking gear grind away from the equation means many will leave.

A lot of people left GW2 because of the lack of vertical grind.

And, in case you'd like to accuse me of being someone who needs gear to pwn, I never really have top tier pvp gear. I typically grind to one level below top, and maybe get the mainhand. Then, it's on to gearing my other toons. The difference is marginal - particularly if you're good - and also, if min/maxing doesn't interest you.

Bolster is a joke. If bolster is something that's so important, just piss on everyone and remove expertise. Adjust the stats attained pvping to equal those of the pve sets, and you're all done. Then, people can gear however they want and no one will ever feel violated. I'm not saying I'm for or against that, just that it's easier to do than implementing a broken bolster system.

Yep Bolster is Completely broken right now and needs to be removed

Here's all you need to know about pvp changes in this game:

BW: "PvP is like chess"

Playerbase: "Chess is too hard"

BW: "PvP is like Stratego"

Playerbase: "Stratego is too hard."

BW: "PvP is like checkers"

Playerbase: "Checkers is too hard"

BW: "PvP is like Candyland"

Playerbase: "Finally, what's your probs with bolster? Get on mah level! 11111!"

So many people are complaining about bolster when they have flat out said it isn't working properly. Yes, this is terrible planning on their behalf (why anyone expects anything more from BioWare after everything else is beyond me) but saying bolster is ***** and they need to get rid of it doesn't make any sense. No one has seen what their actual bolster is supposed to be like.

There is no way they are going to design a pvp system that allows PvE gear to perform better. Anyone that thinks otherwise has rocks in their head. The current iteration is full of bugs and needs to be sorted, however that doesn't mean the final result is going to look anything like it!

They have already stated their intentions. PvP gear will always perform better than PvE gear, but they wanted to narrow the gap. Why don't we actually see what the final unbugged result looks like before claiming bolster is the root of all evil. That isn't advocating their implementation of a terrible, buggy aweful system. Whoever did that needs to be sacked. But I certainly am looking forward to more equal pvp and not having to carry a bunch of recruit geared players every second game!

Here's all you need to know about pvp changes in this game:

BW: "PvP is like chess"

Playerbase: "Chess is too hard"

BW: "PvP is like Stratego"

Playerbase: "Stratego is too hard."

BW: "PvP is like checkers"

Playerbase: "Checkers is too hard"

BW: "PvP is like Candyland"

Playerbase: "Finally, what's your probs with bolster? Get on mah level! 11111!"

And this is reality since December 2011:

Player Base: "We want you to fix bugs, especially those that have been around forever!"

BW: "What bugs - those are features!"

Player Base: "We want a decent resolve system!"

BW: "We gave you Resolve 1.4 - worse than before, but see how hard we work for you?"

Player Base: "We want class balance."

BW: "Our metrics indicate that DPS Mercs will be nerfed and Smashers need a buff."

Player Base: "We want cross-server warzones"

BW: "We picked the wrong engine, sorry can't do that."

Player Base: "We want Open World PVP!"

BW: "We picked the wrong engine, sorry can't do that either."

Player Base: "We want you to interact with the community."

BW: "We send a gold-text yokel once a month to tell you that we are "looking into it" "soon".

Player Base: "We want you to listen to our suggestions and concerns."

BW: "We have the "World's best PVP developers", we don't need your stinkin' suggestions."

Player Base: "We want you to test your code and play your own game!"

BW: "We just released Naked Lolster 2.0 - enough said!"

After 16 months of the same ignorance, arrogance and incompetence on Bioware's part, it is hard to fathom that there are still people believing that PVP in this game will ever amount to anything at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like Star Wars.

Considering the enormous financial resources that were poured into SWTOR's development, I had great hopes for PVP in this game. But unless they replace their developer staff or sell SWTOR to another company who a) cares and b) has PVP competency, lightsabers alone can't cut it for me any longer.

I'm not unsubbing until my guild decides to quit, but I refuse to PVP here until further notice.

If you want real PVP without the glitches, bugs and foolish developers, I suggest Planetside 2 - good competitive game!

I say bring back champion and centurion gear and the old rng system that way every one can enjoy what hell really was like way back when.

As proud as i am to have my current gear into my old champion set, that was the worst system ever. Basically bioware rewarding the people with no life or career who could play 10 hours a day and grind the bags, and the serious pvpers who should be able to get geared with sufficent time and effort were not rewarded as such. Im pretty sure alot of serious pvpers unsubbed for that reason.

PVP'ers should be rewarded for their hard work. Dumbing down WZ's is not the answer. It discourages incentive on becoming more powerful.

I had no problem with players crushing me in their Elite War Hero sets....they deserved it because they worked for it! It only gave me more incentive to reach that level.

Bioware made a mess out of the system

This post right here.

When the WH and EWH sets were implemented, people got gear based on the time they put into the game. If your a new 50 and your getting smashed by EWH juggs, and you got recruit on, your problem. Tough it out for a bit, or get some geared guildies to help you out. Chances were you would have some EWH people on your team too.

This post right here.

When the WH and EWH sets were implemented, people got gear based on the time they put into the game. If your a new 50 and your getting smashed by EWH juggs, and you got recruit on, your problem. Tough it out for a bit, or get some geared guildies to help you out. Chances were you would have some EWH people on your team too.

Did anyone actually read what the hell I posted on the front page about how the 1st problem where recruit geared newbies got owned badly by Elite War Heros and what they need to do to fix this? If they made Recruit obsolete instead of Battlemaster there wouldn't be this Massive gear gap in 1.7

The problem is not greenies vs WH geared /part partizan.

The problem is the huge difference between raiding PvErs that come in WZs with 8K HP plus and stats boosted atleast 30-40% better than than yours......

Not to mention the window of exploit they have ( removing enhacements, re-placing augments ...etc)

The real problem of Patch 1.7 was the when they removed Battlemaster from the equation instead of Recruit gear when they introduced Elite War Hero, they created a gap Resulting in

Elite War Hero(Veterans) > War Hero >>>> Recruit(Newbies)

when they should have thrown Recruit gear out the window and give everyone free Battlemaster and made it

Elite War Hero > War Hero > BattleMaster.

Do Everyone a favor and remove Bolster from Level 55 PvP.

Once again, you have proven why you are the coolest marauder ever!

Bioware, fire whoever is in charge of pvp development and replace them with the coolest marauder ever, Mandolor!

Bolster is a fine idea if it worked as intended.

I would really love to know what exactly their intention was with bolster, honestly.

Naked PVP was rampant for 2 months and NOT FIXED before they took down the PTS. Then they make a big cocky post about how they quashed naked PVP for 2.0. Then on DAY ONE of the release of 2.0, Naked PVP is there...and there for like a week, completely unpatched. Then the devs post that underworld gear is basically terrible in pvp.....then post today, "lol jk, actually it's BIS."

Their only "intention" as far as I can tell is to make sure fewer people pvp by removing incentives (gear grind, pets, speeders, exotic mats from REing, whatever), just like they've disincentivized pve by adding comm caps, increased repair costs, removing credits from space missions (seriously, ***?), etc. They basically just expect everyone to sit around the fleet all day, not pveing or pvping, just buying cartel gear off the market.

Ultimately Bioware's Logic is pretty nonexistent, they create a product/service with the apparent intention of making a profit, but then they continually go out of their way to discourage people from continuing to pay for the service, by disregarding their concerns, ignoring suggestions, and making the service worse each day that goes by. Not sure if there's any logic in that at all, but it's obviously very bad business.

To all the PvPers I will return the advice I have been given by you many, many times, Harden up. (After careful consideration I left out the expletives in that statement...)

There is a level playing field now and people with PvE gear stand a reasonable chance of getting the skills they need to become decent PvPers, and it is time you stopped relying on the crutch of expertise gear that boosts your damage and armor to a point where nobody in PvE gear can touch you and pick your game up.

In theory you guys should be more than a match for a fresh beginner because of all the experience you guys should of obtained from dominating PvP for over a year now so if you are losing it is probably because you have grown soft by being spoon fed easy victories for months by a broken system which some of you are desperately trying to have reinstated.

The Permanent Solution is to Remove Bolster and Give People FREE PvP gear that is Slightly worse than Partisan . Problem Solved.

No. I will repeat what I said before verbatim:

*This won't work. They gave free Recruit gear to people and people wouldn't use it. The solution is not to create a third tier of gear. It is to convert everything that is not current pvp gear into a third tier of gear, i.e. replace Bolster with CONVERT.*

No. I will repeat what I said before verbatim:

*This won't work. They gave free Recruit gear to people and people wouldn't use it. The solution is not to create a third tier of gear. It is to convert everything that is not current pvp gear into a third tier of gear, i.e. replace Bolster with CONVERT.*

Aside from removing expertise altogether and having pvp be an alternate progression path to BiS gear (w/o the pve/ pvp differentiation), this would be the most logical and easily implemented solution.

Super intelligent first post they should FREAKIN HIRE YOU.

But they are dumb.

DUMB!!!!

Your idea should be immediately implemented.

Lvl 55s should get Free EWH. REMOVE BOLSTER

DONE!!!

If you refuse to wear free gear for pvp enjoy getting smashed you deserve it.

As for under 55...you really f'd up the game. Really bad. Very dumb. No respect.

Havent played in 3 days. not fun.

Edited by Smuglebunny

To all the PvPers I will return the advice I have been given by you many, many times, Harden up. (After careful consideration I left out the expletives in that statement...)

There is a level playing field now and people with PvE gear stand a reasonable chance of getting the skills they need to become decent PvPers, and it is time you stopped relying on the crutch of expertise gear that boosts your damage and armor to a point where nobody in PvE gear can touch you and pick your game up.

In theory you guys should be more than a match for a fresh beginner because of all the experience you guys should of obtained from dominating PvP for over a year now so if you are losing it is probably because you have grown soft by being spoon fed easy victories for months by a broken system which some of you are desperately trying to have reinstated.

ha-ha... so if the other system was broken...what the heck is this new one?

The old system was pretty straight forward. Brackets until you reached the level cap. Starter gear and then the understanding that you would have to suffer through some growing pains as you ground out gear.

The new system? Pull your pants down and get violated by PVEers laughing at how they are being rewarded in PVP for spending their time getting PVE gear. Or, try to figure out what convoluted combination of mix and match gear, empty slots, vodoo will give you a chance.

Why should PVE geared people have a chance in a PVP environment? When in the wild world of sports did it become logical to mix apples and oranges? They're two different types of play, ergo two different types of gear...and one should have no effectiveness in the other. As for the crutch of EXP gear, BW is the genious group who came up with expertise... a wholly pvp-specific trait that was the primary foundation of level-cap pvp. They centered the whole pvp experience around it for 15 months and then yanked the rug out from all of us

And just to kick us when we're down, they're bolstering PVE gear to be better than the gear intended to be best in PVP. Yes, new level cap and new gear needed, but to make our old gear useless and turn PVE gear into the advantage is beyond pathetic.

PS - I have no problem with a better skilled person beating me. I do have a problem when the rules are changed midstream and all of my work becomes beyond useless.

Edited by Kirtastropohe

There are 2 Legitimate grievances people that PvP have at the moment

1. If people can use Best in Slot PvE gear to PvP and compete why can't we use our Best in Slot Conqueror to PvE? The current system is a Big **** YOU to PvPers.

2. With the Removal of REing Our Mods/Enhancements/Armoring for High grade Mats , PvPers are left poor again with Wz giving very little credits.

We normally complain about No.2 every few days here and there but the major uproar on how Bolster is generally Buggy and causes unbalances and therefore needs to be removed is what we are discussing.

Besides did you even read my Opening Post . I said that they should give PvErs FREE GEAR (No Coms/Credits) , Can be picked up at any time and slightly worse than Partisan and you are saying I want to Own undergeared people when most people at this stage of the Progression are wearing Partisan?

And to be perfectly honest I've been a hardcore PvErs more than a PvPer for the longest time and cleared EVERY boss at EVERY difficulty Prior to 2.0 and I know We PvErs don't like people that don't know mechanics wearing their Elite War Hero trying to raid . Why Should We as PvPers accept that Raiding and pulling out your enhancements can make you bypass PvP gear progression due to a bolster glitch ?

You know I started to type something of a long post but then I realized there is no need for that considering how big of a moron your are. Just a waste of my time. 2 points:

1-We care about BW taking a dumb over PVP's by making the system 1 way. Only PVE can do PVP with 1 gear but we can't go to raids.

2-PVE gear actually ending up better in PVP then PVP gear... That or so close the difference is irrelevant.

I seriously wander what morons like yourself would say if 1 day they make PVP gear > PVE gear for PVE.

You can be free to think its about our inability to crush *******es like yourself.

Edited by Xanas

[...]

Their only "intention" as far as I can tell is to make sure fewer people pvp by removing incentives (gear grind, pets, speeders, exotic mats from REing, whatever), just like they've disincentivized pve by adding comm caps, increased repair costs, removing credits from space missions (seriously, ***?), etc. They basically just expect everyone to sit around the fleet all day, not pveing or pvping, just buying cartel gear off the market.

[...]

^^This.^^

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!

We have a freakin' WINNER here, funsters!

Yes, I'm serious.

I don't see SW: tOR even being around after another year or at most two, and ^^that,^^ right there is the reason why. If they have any brains at all, then they will at least try for a little subtlety when --not if, when: We all know this will come, whether we want to admit or not-- they introduce Pay-to-Win to try and prolong the patient's agony life, but...

I think we can say in advance: RIP, Bioware. You're not the first, nor the last, we all know who/what the real crux of the problem here is, and always was.

This truly makes me sad:

I'm an old-school gamer, I love Star Wars and sci-fi, and I genuinely want this game to succeed for the "right" reasons, however flawed it may be (SW: G was...errrm...far from fully-realised in any of its incarnations, if you'll recall).

But given who's actually calling the shots here, I just can't see anything better over the long term.

Oh well: I'll always have EVE-Online (now entering its second decade with the next major expansion in-bound for summer --how many MMOs can say that?), Gods be thanked!

I say bring back champion and centurion gear and the old rng system that way every one can enjoy what hell really was like way back when.

Centurion/Champion vs BM gear gap wasn't near as bad as Recruit/BM vs WH/EWH

^^This.^^

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!

We have a freakin' WINNER here, funsters!

Yes, I'm serious.

I don't see SW: tOR even being around after another year or at most two, and ^^that,^^ right there is the reason why. If they have any brains at all, then they will at least try for a little subtlety when --not if, when: We all know this will come, whether we want to admit or not-- they introduce Pay-to-Win to try and prolong the patient's agony life, but...

I think we can say in advance: RIP, Bioware. You're not the first, nor the last, we all know who/what the real crux of the problem here is, and always was.

This truly makes me sad:

I'm an old-school gamer, I love Star Wars and sci-fi, and I genuinely want this game to succeed for the "right" reasons, however flawed it may be (SW: G was...errrm...far from fully-realised in any of its incarnations, if you'll recall).

But given who's actually calling the shots here, I just can't see anything better over the long term.

Oh well: I'll always have EVE-Online (now entering its second decade with the next major expansion in-bound for summer --how many MMOs can say that?), Gods be thanked!

SWTOR will be around for a long time.