Swotr players guide book

SNEAKYSIX

Hi,

I recently saw in a computer games store the Official SWTOR Players Strategy Book. It cost £9.99 dunno how much in dolars lets say 14.5 lol... Anyway it was sealed by security tape so I couldnt peak inside to see if its worth buying. Has anybody else got this book? Did it come with a collectors edition? Im thinking of buying it as Im interested and curious to know lots of newb questions that I dont want to ask here.......

Hi,

I recently saw in a computer games store the Official SWTOR Players Strategy Book. It cost £9.99 dunno how much in dolars lets say 14.5 lol... Anyway it was sealed by security tape so I couldnt peak inside to see if its worth buying. Has anybody else got this book? Did it come with a collectors edition? Im thinking of buying it as Im interested and curious to know lots of newb questions that I dont want to ask here.......

Most of these books I have seen are maybe enough info to get you out of the starting area, with some very general and basic information about your class/crew skills. This might be helpful to you, but about any time I have bought a strategy guide I have usually found better, more detailed information for free about any question I have using Google.

Hi,

Only you can know how to spend your money. However, before you buy this book, I suggest looking around the internet. There are many more resources available for you there that are able to be updated as time goes on instead of buying a static book that could be fine now, but not be helpful a couple months from now.

I went in my lunch hour to the store and peaked at it, Turns out its only an exploration guide. So didnt bother. Yeah Ive trawled wiki's and looked for things but was thinking of compiling something. As there are so many acronyms being thrown around like in all MMOs that take time to learn. Crafting more importantly I wanted an indepth read on. Im sure I will grasp this the more hours I plunge into this.

Oh ya, tons of initials to learn in this game, like most other MMOs. All FPs get abbreviated, so thats a matter of just learning with time. BT= Black Talon, BP= Boarding Party, FI= False Emperor and so on and so on. Also the class forums are a great resource for helping with your talent spec and other class-specific questions.

FP is Flashpoint, Op is Operation (Raid)...anyway, you get the idea.

"Guide Books" for MMOs are a waste of money, I can guarantee you that "guide book" was out of date a month ago, at least.

Maybe that particular book is out of date, but as I learn more about this game, I feel like there are a lot of core concepts that won't change -- or at least not enough to render a description useless.

I don't mind using dedicated sites or wikis looking for quest tips, checking the stats on something, and other micro-level info. But really, I spend enough time staring at a screen actually playing the game. It'd be nice to read some basic stuff offline, in print, outside in the sun and fresh air.

Here are some examples of things I've slowly learned that could've been in a manual or basic guide:

• list of planets and recommended levels
  • XP and rested XP / rest zones (e.g. you get more XP if you battle "at your level")
  • types of quests (story, planet, bonus, flashpoints)
  • types of space missions
  • companion skill types
  • how to manage inventory and modify items
  • force/heat/ammo
  • meaning of primary stats; what stuff like alacrity means

I realize there are some fantastic starter threads. Kudos to the people who worked so hard to make them. I'd just rather have the option to read that kind of stuff offline.

If it's the one I think it is, a friend of mine owns it.

It's not to bad actually. There's a number of things in it that are no longer true, but the maps and locations haven't changed so that can be useful.

Yes there's google, but that means either having a 2nd machine or alt-tabbing out of SWTOR.

• 1 year later...
Actually the best type of guide is something that is kept current like a wiki page. There are several out there for SW:TOR just look around as some are better than others and some are better kept up than others, although there is always some good information to be gleaned from even the older ones occasionally.