Healer vs DPS (Pros and Cons)

MrMeme

So I've decided to level up a trooper first and, after playing a powertech bounty hunter, I found that I did not enjoy the tanking advanced class. Now playing a commando I am torn between playing a DPS or a healer. I do not have any vast previous experience playing a DPS or a healer but I am very interested to try playing one of them. (Please note that I did do a small amount of raiding when I played WoW, as a tank, so I do understand the mechanics of each role but have never played a DPS or Healer.)

If some experienced players, or just players with a decent opinion, could give me possible pros and cons to being a commando DPS or healer it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

PVE or PVP? (I know nothing about PVP so my comments are in regards to PVE)

DPS (Assuming Gunnery):

Pro: Amazing DPS, Fairly simple rotation, great survivability, ranged (for end-game stuff having more ranged DPS classes makes things a lot easier).

Cons: No Interrupt (Commandos never get an interrupt but some people like having one on their DPS classes), not a lot of mobility.

Heals:

Pro: Great single target healing, good survivability compared to other healers.

Cons: AOE healing is very weak (they have plans to buff it), significant lack of utility compared to sages (no combat res, no friendly pull, no shield).

I originally leveled as a healer but switched dps not long after starting end-game stuff. It just felt to me the class was more designed to do damage than heal. Thought it better to be the best DPS in the guild rather than play second fiddle to a sage no matter what.

Commando Healer is absolutely insane in PvP. You never run out of ammo and you have the best singletarget heals in the game and ridiculous survivability for a healer. As mentioned, you have a lack of utilitys for PvE. Battle Rezz being the hardest... but you wont need more than 1 anyway. Shield is a nice skill, but its not necessary. You have the best DoT for your Tank in form of Probe and your aoe actually isnt that bad. its instant and it has low cd and gives a healing buff. and BioWare mentioned that they will increase the amount of people affected by it.

Commando DPS is the best DPS in game for PvE and its pretty much on top for PvP aswell (i'm talking about Gunnery. Forget Assault). the strenght also stacks by the amount of gunnerys you use, because Grav stacks separately and your Demoround profits from other grav stacks aswell. The lack of an interrupt is annoying in PvP, but in PvE operations, you cant interrupt the bosses anyway.

Thank you for the replies. I was looking at the PvE aspect, sorry that I wasn't more specific, but thank you for the responses based on PvE content. Your replies were very helpful and I believe that I will play a little more until I decide which spec I would like to go once I hit end game.

Once again, thanks for your replies.

I was wondering if a hybrid would work for mostly pve leveling. Go up to get tracer missile (or whatever it's called for Commando), then fill out some of the healing tree?

The problem with this in just about any build for any class is your energy regen. Lots of talents in the game go out of their way to reduce the costs of certain abilities and if you dont get those talents you are seriously selling yourself short when it comes to your sustainability.

Its very hard to heal over a long period of time without certain talents and its very hard to dps over a long period of time without other talents. I guess some people have gotten it to work for them but personally im not a fan of hybrids like that.

The problem with this in just about any build for any class is your energy regen. Lots of talents in the game go out of their way to reduce the costs of certain abilities and if you dont get those talents you are seriously selling yourself short when it comes to your sustainability.

Its very hard to heal over a long period of time without certain talents and its very hard to dps over a long period of time without other talents. I guess some people have gotten it to work for them but personally im not a fan of hybrids like that.

Ah, okay. I was afraid that might be an issue. Cheers for dual spec in the future, then.