Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just curious on how the transfer process will start? Will we have to go to a link and sign up or automatically be transfered? Nothing says what we will need to do on our end to get in line for transfer!?!?

So the industry is already dead.

Not at all. The industry is just extremely competitive for MMOs.

There's a major flaw in this argument: the coming generation of MMORPG subscribers do not like sandbox content. They don't like user-driven content. They want to be handed a path and plan; they want themepark games, but they want themeparks that never pause. They want themepark titles that put out new content constantly.

Your limited viewpoint. How could you say they don't like user-driven content? 31.5 million registered users of Minecraft would disagree with you. And of those 31.5 million registrations, 6.2 million bought the game. That would put SWTOR to shame even at its highest subscriber count. And don't forget Second Life. I never played Second Life, but it's all user driven content.

And do not like sandbox content? Every EVE Online player would disagree too.

Fact is, the numbers prove that user-generated content and sandbox MMOs are FAR more popular than amusement-park MMOs. The problem here is the cross-over of console titles. They're predominately amusment-park and have drawn a huge chunk of the PC amusement-park gaming crowd over there.

Edited by cipher_nemo

I am just curious on how the transfer process will start? Will we have to go to a link and sign up or automatically be transfered? Nothing says what we will need to do on our end to get in line for transfer!?!?

Nothing as of yet, but below is a link which will add all the info which is required to transfer.

Note : Nothing is posted yet in the link but we will know more tmr.

http://www.swtor.com/transfer

Edited by Maccaz

I dunno, I think they will. It might be expensive to get a full 8 more slots, but I think they will.

I'd be ecstatic if they gave us 16 character slots, but I just can't see it. WoW is finally increasing their slots from 10 to 11 and only if you buy MoP....lol. Those crazy pandas. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the transfers will be available after or before the maintenance scheduleed to the 12th...

Well, since today is the 11th and we still haven't heard a word aside from "expect them on the 12th," I'm skeptical that this is even going to happen, at this rate. They need to give us something about how this process will work or I'm forced to believe they still haven't figured it out themselves. No offense here, just honest concern.

I wonder if the transfers will be available after or before the maintenance scheduleed to the 12th...

I'd expect a full FAQ and a list of initial Phase 1 origin and destination servers a few hours after the maintenance is over. With the first round of transfers beginning shortly after that.

Well, since today is the 11th and we still haven't heard a word aside from "expect them on the 12th," I'm skeptical that this is even going to happen, at this rate. They need to give us something about how this process will work or I'm forced to believe they still haven't figured it out themselves. No offense here, just honest concern.

Guess you missed all the other statements they made, as in "more information on Tuesday, there will be a FAQ posted then". Even answered a BUNCH of questions throughout this thread. Between "transfers start on the 12th" and "your questions will be answered in our FAQ on Tuesday", and all the questions they've already repeatedly answered, what else is there to say? I mean, really?

Dev Tracker is your friend.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Bioware giving players what they need? You must be joking, they do what they want on college kid's schedule who just found that he doesnt have a final a midterm, but instead a studyguide.

Guess you missed all the other statements they made, as in "more information on Tuesday, there will be a FAQ posted then". Even answered a BUNCH of questions throughout this thread. Between "transfers start on the 12th" and "your questions will be answered in our FAQ on Tuesday", and all the questions they've already repeatedly answered, what else is there to say? I mean, really?

Dev Tracker is your friend.

I guess I did overlook some obscure post. That's quite possible. I also guess, that as a paying customer, I should have the information I need presented to me in an "easy to find" manner, for example, this sticky thread that I have bookmarked. But hey, I guess that's too much to ask.

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

So if you play on Eng, Ger or Fr RP-PVP servers there are no transfers from or to since there is only one in each language?

I guess I did overlook some obscure post. That's quite possible. I also guess, that as a paying customer, I should have the information I need presented to me in an "easy to find" manner, for example, this sticky thread that I have bookmarked. But hey, I guess that's too much to ask.

Dev Tracker presents all important updates to the game in an easy to find manner. I'd bookmark Dev Tracker instead of a random sticky. That's what I do anyways. :)

Will they be allowing people to transfer off destination servers? If they are it seems self defeating that you are allowing transfers off of the server that you are trying to increase the population on. Edited by WookieeNookie
error

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed. - There are a lot of pages here to dig trough!

Question regarding guilds. I understand guilds on origin servers will need to be disolved then reformed on the destination server.

Does Bioware have a plan to refund the money spent on guild bank tabs?

Thank you

Wait, you're an RPer who is upset that you are being directed to an RP server? Huh?

The problem for the RP players is that in many cases, there is only ONE origin server (US RP-Pvp, EU RP-PvP, US RP-PvE, etc) , therefore if there is only one origin server, and only one destination server, a transfer doesn't solve their population problem. I'm sure they will address the situation by tomorrow, but that's why they're upset. After these transfer, specifically being done to increase server population, their situation won't change.

I apologize in advance if this has been addressed. - There are a lot of pages here to dig trough!

Question regarding guilds. I understand guilds on origin servers will need to be disolved then reformed on the destination server.

Does Bioware have a plan to refund the money spent on guild bank tabs?

Thank you

You'll get all your guild bank tabs reinstated through Customer Service. :)

I get your point with this, but with so many servers that exist, what are the odds that you have re-rolls on the 1 destination server that will be chosen for you?

This first round of transfers is specifically being done to deal with population issues, not consolidation of characters. It's being said that consiolidation will be addressed "later". There is a possibility we may have to pay to transfer characters specifically to merge legacy. This was my issue as well...

Read the "Dev Tracker"; it IS your "easy to find" source of information. It doesn't get any more simple...

Will they be allowing people to transfer off origin servers? If they are it seems self defeating that you are allowing transfers off of the server that you are trying to increase the population on.
The transfer process will be one-directional: from origin servers to destination server.