SSSP news!

Nothematic

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok, this is officially highly awesome by all accounts. I would have NEVER guessed this project would actually exist..or atleast I assumed it means nothing more relevant than increased amount of things to shoot at in the railshooter mini game. Or multiplayer mode to the railshooter.

It is going to be thoroughly mindblowing if we ever get to see actual proper well made free roaming space in TOR. Hell, it could change what this game is about to many.

This better not be some Peter Molynexian hype over nothing!!!

Op pls provide source of that info. Also pls add the original post the post in your original post originally was a replying post of.. post.

I love it how initial response even to this thread is mostly negative. Some community:o

- - -

Just to clarify.. stuff OP is linking originates from BW livestream Q&A Coverage that took place earlier today.

Here is the relevant part in full form:

Q: How is the super space project doing? Does it exist?

Schubert: Oh, it exists.

Hickman: I was actually playing what you're talking about yesterday, running through the prototype demo. I wish I could give you details. It's great. It's a departure from our current space game. We have a team dedicated to working on it. But it is far out in the future. You won't hear anything about it any time soon.

Schubert: It is under wraps. It is a lot of fun. It's definitely not anything we've shipped in the original product.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/22517-bioware-livestream-q-a-coverage

- - -

Edited by Stradlin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*facepalm* He already said it is something completely different than what they have now. It is nothing like we have now. That means no rails. Read some more.

No it doesnt, at no point anywhere does it say anything about not being on rails. While you may assume this due to the fact its deeply, deeply unpopular you have no proof or real indication of what is happening at all.

It could be on rails but you can do it with other people, or maybe climb into an angry bird ship which shoots lazers from its eyes at pig fighters. All hearsay but just as much as your assumption. Given how many times they said the space combat was going to be awesome before release and the fact they are still throwing resources into their current, garbage rail system indicates some numpty in the company seems to think its a good idea so who knows whats on the cards.

read some more, assume some less.

*facepalm* He already said it is something completely different than what they have now. It is nothing like we have now. That means no rails. Read some more.

mmmmm.... I disagree. Nowhere do they indicate there will be no rails. So it could be that it is multiplayer, heroic style, but still on rails.

Seriously.... until they ACTUALLY SAY it's not on rails, it would be foolish to assume no rails. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment IMO.

mmmmm.... I disagree. Nowhere do they indicate there will be no rails. So it could be that it is multiplayer, heroic style, but still on rails.

Seriously.... until they ACTUALLY SAY it's not on rails, it would be foolish to assume no rails. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment IMO.

I'm not getting excited nor let myself get put down when things don't happen as I expected. Whatever happens, happens and I will make the best of that situation.

P.S. It won't be on rails. They can't do that to us after making a HUGE deal of this "completely changes the pixel of the space content we have now"

I'm not getting excited nor let myself get put down when things don't happen as I expected. Whatever happens, happens and I will make the best of that situation.

P.S. It won't be on rails. They can't do that to us after making a HUGE deal of this "completely changes the pixel of the space content we have now"

I actually agree with you but they have made many unfathomable decisions before so I cant rule anything out

Alot of people will have moved on by then. You are mistaken if you think EA has nothing to worry about.

And a lot of new people will have joined? Or does the crystal ball only show dark images?

I'm telling you right now. It's a space expansion, free roam flight, space pvp, guild ships all that stuff. You'll see :)

Would love for this to be true but the answer to the guild ships follow up question gave me the impression it's not integrated into the SSSP. Certainly not at this "demo stage". Imo they wouldnt have placed it on the wall of crazy for the far future if it were but said it's a part of the sssp.

Then again they indicated it came up quite a bit in the last few weeks, so I guess it's possible as it'd be a strange coincidence that it would come up at s time they're reviewing the sssp demos but would be totally unrelated, might just be that they just don't want to confirm anything not to tip their hand in any way...

Edited by aeterno

Yatta yatta too little too late EA doomed this game biofail is dead wah wah.

Seriously, can't rip this. Things don't happen overnight. The SSSP is open space. This is a huge programming endeavor. It has to work properly, it has to tie into the game, it has to have stuff to do, it has to be fun.

Don't stick your head in the sand and say TOR is gonna die because space didn't come out in a year. [of course you gotta have your head in the sand to even SAY that to begin with so idk...] It will take a while because it's not easy and things don't happen overnight. People used to understand this.

Yeh, because Star Citizen with an estimated release November 2014, will allow you tp be deep into it 12-18 months from now. Elite Dangerous, estimated to release March 2014 will also just have you started.

So in terms of those two meaningless titles, BioWare has very little to worry about. Not to mention, vastly different games for which the prime focus is space combat. Here it's just a part of the bigger picture.

SC Alpha in 12 months, I pledged and will have alpha and beta access.

Same for Elite.

Meaningless titles? I lolled

I am interested in seeing this when info comes out. Personally, I would like some early demo footage to be shown so players can start giving more feedback to fine-tune this early but that is just my opinion.

I am assuming this will be a 3D flight sim with multiplayer components and at the very least PVP space combat with enemy ships. That alone will definitely excite players.

My only question is whether it will be sandbox or themepark based though. How big could they make space maps of just.... well space? Will there be areas to travel to throughout the galaxy? Will regions be a segragated "map" that a seat on your ship let's you freeroam for light years across to different areas and jumping from planet to planet is a choice to lightspeed across regions? Will there be hidden enemy fleets for PVE too or the ability to fly to certain "hotspots" directed by the game for PVP?

A lot can be implied based on how they want to improve the space game: Sandbox or Themepark.

They have never directly said it's not on rails. They have said over many interviews that

1. current space combat was just a place holder for launch

2. the SSSP is something completely new and expends space combat in major way

3. the SSSP is a completely new pixel space

4. that the current space combat has nothing to do with the new SSSP

taking in all of those statements it's clear that it would be foolish to assume that it IS on rails.

now how big it is or what it entails who knows.

A lot can be implied based on how they want to improve the space game: Sandbox or Themepark.

Well, I think we can only go on evidence from the rest of the game. It's not looking good for any sandbox fans :p

This news would have excited me a year ago, but the fact they are only just at the demo stage means this may never even see the light of day. I bought into the hype once before, this time I'm just thinking 'Whatever!'.

Once we get firm details then I'll get excited.

Well, I think we can only go on evidence from the rest of the game. It's not looking good for any sandbox fans :p

This news would have excited me a year ago, but the fact they are only just at the demo stage means this may never even see the light of day. I bought into the hype once before, this time I'm just thinking 'Whatever!'.

Once we get firm details then I'll get excited.

I dissagree with that. Not saying the game is going full sandbox like SWG but I can see them adding Sandbox elements.

Especially since sandbox elements are great for cash shops. For example player housing and custimization. Great for cash shops as you can sell a crap ton of vanity items for your house in the cash shop and people will buy it up.

I dissagree with that. Not saying the game is going full sandbox like SWG but I can see them adding Sandbox elements.

Especially since sandbox elements are great for cash shops. For example player housing and custimization. Great for cash shops as you can sell a crap ton of vanity items for your house in the cash shop and people will buy it up.

And therein lies the problem with the cash shop. BioWare promised sandbox elements way back during development. You know, back when it was understood that our subscriptions paid for all that; back when they didn't have a cash shop or free to play. As far as I'm concerned, they won't be living up to those promises if they offer us sandbox elements only at additional cost in the cash shop. These elements should have been in at release, as we were assured they would be.

This game was supposed to be a mix of themepark and sandbox, not "A mix of Themepark and Sandbox**."

**Sandbox sold separately.

-Macheath.

They have never directly said it's not on rails. They have said over many interviews that

1. current space combat was just a place holder for launch

2. the SSSP is something completely new and expends space combat in major way

3. the SSSP is a completely new pixel space

4. that the current space combat has nothing to do with the new SSSP

taking in all of those statements it's clear that it would be foolish to assume that it IS on rails.

now how big it is or what it entails who knows.

Links to those quotes please

Wouldn't it be funny if it was actually tied in with Chris Roberts new Space game Star Citizen!

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

I'm pretty sure that is what did open fully EA greedy eyes and management got stunned from amount of publicly raised funds.

Close to 7 freaking millions within 1 month, that's how badly gamers want space sim. Gamers been begging EA/BW do something about that, nothing.

But hey, it is too late now, Chris Roberts is known name and he did earn a lot of gamers trust with hes past projects.

Look at demo, this game engine never can handle that, so it will be Direct X'ed 9 WoW like cartoony space joke.

Take the shuttle on the fleet, fly around a bit, you will get the picture.

Edited by Chaffery

Links to those quotes please

All but the last quote is relatively obscure. The space community really combed for those ones, and I can confirm that #2 and #3 happened, as I read from the interviews first hand, but I can't claim to have seen the statement that current space was a placeholder.

no they never promised that.

Please show me a single link to where they said it would be a mix.

They've removed all of the developer blogs from before 2011, or perhaps they never bothered to transfer these blogs from the old site in the first place. In any event, the quote is not on this site, and I'm not sure where I would find it at this point.

There was a dev blog in which one of the developers talked about how creating "only" a theme park was not the right move, and how there needed to be a mix of both theme park and sandbox elements in order for an MMO to have success. It talked about striking the "right balance" between the two, which gave us all -well, myself, anyway- a little hope that BioWare recognized the non sustainability of the purely theme park design model. BioWare abandoned that philosophy sometime in the last year before the release of the game, if it was ever truly a part of their philosophy at all. In hindsight, it seems more likely that they were just blowing smoke.

-Macheath.