Display Name Only Log In - Update 2 - Coming April 2, 2013

Phillip_BW

For the side note, I'm anything but making fun of customers - my intent was to make fun of a ficticious yellow duck as an attempt to bring a bit of humour into what is otherwise a very boring topic. That and continue a theme from the previous answers to the thread from a couple of weeks ago. No offense intended!

For my part, the humour was very much appreciated. Don't let the stone-faced, humourless posters around here faze you. There is nothing out of line about actually trying to engage with the community rather than simply pontificating.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you go into further detail of said features.

Self-service for Lost my Security Key

Self-service for Remove my Security Key

Self-service for Move my Security Key

like how do they work? would 1 allow me to remove the key but first i have to input my correct password and answer all my security questions along with an email confirmation? :rak_02:

• Dev Post

More answers to new questions...

Is there any plan to allow the saved locations to apply to the Security Key?

ie after you've logged in with the Security Key at a particular location, you no longer need to use it at that location (at least for the day/week/month etc)

We have discussed this option internally a few times, and the current thinking is we will let the change on April 2nd settle in before making further changes to how the Security Key itself works. Technically it's possible, but we wouldn't want people to forget to take the key with them if they are intendning to play - the reasons behind our system thinking you might be playing from a 'new' location are complicated to say the least and it could prompt when least expected...

NOOOOO, keep the duck reference.

Plus ducks are Star Wars oriented...

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duck

Thanks for the reference - TIL Ducks are a SWTOR thing too :jawa_biggrin:

Hi Phillip, in response to this, is anything being done to make Physical Security Keys available to European customers?

Currently, the only way to obtain one was via the Collectors Edition, which are now very rare. The European version of the Origin store does not sell them, and we can not purchase them from the US version.

Yes, we have the Android/iOS versions, but these are buggy to say the least. I have had to have mine removed soo many times, that I am know running without it. The calls to CS can take anywhere between 5-90 minutes. Many other people have to have theirs removed also.

So yeh, can we expect Bioware to do anything in order to get Origin EU selling the physical keys, or are we SOOL?

I've mentioned this a few times - we are working on getting the physical security keys made available in Europe and as soon as I have a better estimate on the date other than 'soon', I'll be sure to post.

This sounds so "fail" to me! Why not fix server stability first and log in screens last?

My team does not work on the servers. There are many teams here, and we all have different abilities and jobs and my team is in no way qualified or tasked with working on the servers...

It's a nice attempting trying to calm people but we never asked for or wanted this "Bonus" in the first place.

I've seen a lot of players ask for self-help service for Security Key. Without these changes we would not be able to provide the service with the same level of security, so in order to make self-service possible, we had to change other aspects as a result. So yes, people did actually ask for something that was a key consideration in making this change happen :jawa_wink:

Why is this no longer a sticky? Does this mean questions will no longer be answered here?

Not all posts stay sticky forever. Not all posts get answers. This post will continue to get answers even if it isn't sticky - if I post a brand new thread I might stop reading this one at that time though... It's possible we will re-sticky this post soon as well given the change is going live in a few days time.

Could you confirm that SWTOR is Linked to the Origin Account?

Confirmed.

can you go into further detail of said features.

like how do they work? would 1 allow me to remove the key but first i have to input my correct password and answer all my security questions along with an email confirmation? :rak_02:

You are tempting my 'wall of text' responses to get longer :jawa_wink:

Self-service for Lost my Security Key: This will require you to access to your email as proof of ownership of your account - this is tied in to why we are removing the link between your login and the email address.

Self-service for Remove my Security Key: Similar in that we want to make sure you can still log in afterwards by making sure (while your Security Key is still active) that you can still receive emails.

Self-service for Move my Security Key: No emails required - you will literally move between two devices and stay at the same level of security the entire time.

This will all make much more sense when you see the 'wizard' style dialogs our web team have created for the different options.

Philip, any chance these changes might allow for attaching more than one security key?

For instance a physical key that can sit by my computer 24/7 but the phone app so I can sign in away from home.

Why not just use the phone app exclusively? Is your phone not with you when you're at your computer at home? :p

This whole thread reminds me of those Nexium Commercials. "You wouldn't want your doctor doing your job...so why are you doing her's?"

I trust the Security Team to make sound decisions and to do everything in their power to protect my account and personal information. They're the most knowledgeable and experienced people for the job.

Hi I have a problem logging to game after this last patch. In launcher I have been using display name for login. So in launcher it wasnt new for me but after launcher updated and patch downloaded and installed I have chossen play and then while loading the game crashed and did not write anything. I tryied to run it again and it did not worked crashed again. I even restarted PC and it still did not work. Yesterday all was fine. Can you help me please? I like this game and I am a subscriber Edited by Steve-Czech

since your new patch I can only get the launcher to state its updating then announce only a single instance can run and the launcher disappears

Ive tried the fix launcher from my files to no effect

So every time I have to answer a security question now, I will have to check my email and copy-paste a code?

That is a major annoyance for me, as everytime I restart my PC the game and the website ask for a security question.

Please tell me, that that is not true!

This, I have the exact same issue.

Hi I have a problem logging to game after this last patch. In launcher I have been using display name for login. So in launcher it wasnt new for me but after launcher updated and patch downloaded and installed I have chossen play and then while loading the game crashed and did not write anything. I tryied to run it again and it did not worked crashed again. I even restarted PC and it still did not work. Yesterday all was fine. Can you help me please? I like this game and I am a subscriber

Im having same problem i even called CS waited 1hr to get on phone.

O can get to the load screen but then it crashes. Yesterday was fine, after patch I can't play. I hvalue my play time so 7 hrs was a long wait for this patch, Been on hold for a long time and almost out of play time...or time to listen to the same on hold music and being thanked for it. I hope this gets fixed.

I am happy to see that I am not the only one. I know Bio will be on it with so many players commenting. I also think the Duck thing was awsome, I see some responses that they felt like Phil was talking down to them....maybe he should be if you don't understand that this game has players of all ages and he needs to make a connection with all of them to drive the point home..... GREAT JOB with the duck. Thank you Phil.

Still cant get on, keeps crashing and I am not so sure Bio is aware of this. I have had to hang up several time because the wait is soooo long and real life just doesn't wait. Anyone know if there is a different avenue that I can take to get help logging into the game? Or knows that Bioware is aware of this problem?

Still cant get on, keeps crashing and I am not so sure Bio is aware of this. I have had to hang up several time because the wait is soooo long and real life just doesn't wait. Anyone know if there is a different avenue that I can take to get help logging into the game? Or knows that Bioware is aware of this problem?

Have you tried the Customer Service forum? There are a couple of threads about hanging and crashing launchers. Phil isn't going to be able to help you, nor is his rubber duck.

Wow, everytime I turn around I'm getting locked out of my own account. If they are soooo worried about me getting into it why don't they take over my payments and play it for me?????? I'll have to seriously consider playing for free, at least I'll feel like I'm getting what I pay for)

So overall I have no real issues with moving off of email addresses as a signin name, although it is infinitely easier to keep track, but my main issue is the laziness that this was implemented with. You have obviously been planning this for a while and at the very least should have allowed us to create a new login name at first sign in or change our current display name to something different. This current name dates back to a previous character many games ago that I no longer use nor want to use. This fix needs to be the first thing your "security" team works on after deploying this change so half-assed.